• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Qusestion. Get an Answer.

@Jpak:
Unless the banana is your own, you cannot CG around unless you have space to boost pivot grab your opponent in a direction away from the banana. But that only works if you have enough space between the banana.
@To community:
Speaking of which, I the idea of using bananas to extend our cg sounds interesting. CG to the max percent to end it by spiking your opponent into the banana and following up with a tech chase using either falco's normal methods or by picking up that banana again after they slip on it. 80% combo on diddy perhaps by using that regrabbed banana into a slip during that tech chase into a gatling combo?
Just remember that LLocks are never guaranteed and you won't get them very often, if at all.
I reject this reality. Footstools are the way to go and if anyone tests what I put forth in the Bakery, it could become all that much more common on SV.

Link2thelost90

Smash Lord
I got a few questions?
1st.which is a better of the two; jabbing once then grabbing or jabbing twice then grabbing.
2nd. What is the frames on the first and is the second jab different from the 1st jab.
3rd. If your opponent is med-largest and/or DI's back from the first jab is Dash attack Cancel up smash *not DACUS but the one where you actually have to make contact to do with a dash attack with a real quick upsmash* a
opinion: jab->grab->Dthrow-> that DACUS is beast at low percents. which leads to my next question what is the highest percent where that attack (Dacus thing) can combo against each character? (even tho at higher percent the attack can be used well while the opponent is sheilding, ect.)

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
I got a few questions?
1st.which is a better of the two; jabbing once then grabbing or jabbing twice then grabbing.
2nd. What is the frames on the first and is the second jab different from the 1st jab.
3rd. If your opponent is med-largest and/or DI's back from the first jab is Dash attack Cancel up smash *not DACUS but the one where you actually have to make contact to do with a dash attack with a real quick upsmash* a
opinion: jab->grab->Dthrow-> that DACUS is beast at low percents. which leads to my next question what is the highest percent where that attack (Dacus thing) can combo against each character? (even tho at higher percent the attack can be used well while the opponent is sheilding, ect.)
Jab:
1st jab total: 16
1st jab hits on frame 2
1st jab shield hit lag: 6
1st jab shield stun: 7
1st jab advantage: -13
2nd jab hits on frame 10 (counting frame 1 as first frame of 1st jab)
Linking to 2nd jab hit box advantage: -7 (opponent has 7 frames between shield stun and 2nd jab hit box)

jab>jab>grab is usually better, but always mix it up with jab>grab or jab cancelling

the combo you described is called the Gatling combo or DLX (w/e that means)

Gatling works on light characters up to around 40%, medium to 40-50%, and heavies for maybe 60%. Not completely sure on these, but the opponents DI can make a huge difference. If they DI up or with the direction the attack sends them, they can escape it much sooner

Denzi

Smash Master
It isn't misspelled.
And I like Battlefield, but that's just me.

As for CGing toward bananas that aren't yours, use the gatling combo to pick it up and deal ~20% to Diddy.

swordsaint

Smash Master
It isn't misspelled.
And I like Battlefield, but that's just me.

As for CGing toward bananas that aren't yours, use the gatling combo to pick it up and deal ~20% to Diddy.
or you can try and be stylish, dash attack to pick it up, then throw to banana for a mixup then gatling <3

mix ups are sexy.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I now think FD is the best stage to take Diddy. I feel that our camp game is more rewarded than diddy's banana game but that's just me.

If you ask most Falcos they'd tell you that there isn't a good stage to take Diddy since both Falco and Diddy are good on the same stages :S

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Battlefield is just an awesome stage.

Like everyone thinks they're so smart in tourney banning FD on my Falco like whatever dude BF unleashes more potential anyway.

So I take them to BF.

In fact I choose BF when FD isn't banned.

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Lately, I've been having a lot of trouble with my Falco in general. I don't know when to use f-tilt (that would be my first "question"). Also, as amazing as jab is, I seem to have trouble using it. I get punished a lot when I jab, makes no sense to me.

Kirby, ZSS, DDD, Wario, MK, they all seem to be giving me serious trouble.
I've had that problem forever.

Any advice?

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Battlefield is just an awesome stage.

Like everyone thinks they're so smart in tourney banning FD on my Falco like whatever dude BF unleashes more potential anyway.

So I take them to BF.

In fact I choose BF when FD isn't banned.

same here since at first players always strike FD i was left with BF and i eventually go t real at home with it and now i go there on my own i love the platforms and the fact that the ledge is more forgiving and can be used to wall jump bair as a mix up to get back on the stage. BF>FD

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Lately, I've been having a lot of trouble with my Falco in general. I don't know when to use f-tilt (that would be my first "question"). Also, as amazing as jab is, I seem to have trouble using it. I get punished a lot when I jab, makes no sense to me.
Ftilt is a quick attack that's safe on shields and can help tremendously with spacing.

Basically a lot of people use it as a gtfomyface move, because its speed, spacing, and decent knockback make it perfect for that situation. Basically, you use it to space, so ideally you want the move to connect right at the furthermost point of the hitbox.

Any advice?
Kirby: Camp, don't get swallowed.
ZSS: Camp, don't get dsmashed
DDD: Lol. Laser laser laser like you dun give a ****
Wario: Camp, don't bother engaging him in the air too much.
MK: Camp. If you land CG **** will be cash, but don't try for it.

shadownoss45

Smash Cadet
Ftilt is a quick attack that's safe on shields and can help tremendously with spacing.

Basically a lot of people use it as a gtfomyface move, because its speed, spacing, and decent knockback make it perfect for that situation. Basically, you use it to space, so ideally you want the move to connect right at the furthermost point of the hitbox.

Kirby: Camp, don't get swallowed.
ZSS: Camp, don't get dsmashed
DDD: Lol. Laser laser laser like you dun give a ****
Wario: Camp, don't bother engaging him in the air too much.
MK: Camp. If you land CG **** will be cash, but don't try for it.

Against good DDD's they can power shield a lot of lazers and slowly approach i guess. Its hard to kill DDD when he kills you at like 100%-120%. I found it best to not stale any kill moves. AKA dont use gatling combo, and try to use other moves than up smash and f smash. Im not that great in the match up either.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
So I Ftilted a MK's ftilt yesterday(Both hits came out at what looked like the exact same time).....

His sword was on Falcos leg when I was hitting him

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Against good DDD's they can power shield a lot of lazers and slowly approach i guess. Its hard to kill DDD when he kills you at like 100%-120%. I found it best to not stale any kill moves. AKA dont use gatling combo, and try to use other moves than up smash and f smash. Im not that great in the match up either.
He's fat and slow and you have a whole stage to run away from him on. Don't see the problem, he can powershield some but not all, so just persevere and don't lose patience. Losing patience is what makes everyone flop.

You can still be shield-grabbed for using Ftilt on sheilds by most characters that have decent sheilds and grab range
Ftilt is only really punished by PSing, not by normal shields, since on a normal shield the move will push the opponent back.

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
I used to jab jab F-tilt often, for spacing and what not, but lately i'm getting punished every time I try to throw out that F-tilt. Maybe i'm not doing it right (I don't usually crouch cancel stuff, I go jab jab grab and jab jab ftilt based on timing so maybe I could be faster) but I really don't know. I find myself relying on full jab way to much, and that gets me punished a lot.

That and Approaching with it has stopped working all together, I basically can't approach xD

swordsaint

Smash Master
I like FD Diddy. Diddy enjoys the small stages where nana pressure works really well. FD being a larger stage means his pressure hame is hurt a bit and our camp game is still in tact.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher

Any advice?
Are we talking trouble against good people who play those characters, or typical/not particularly great players?

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
I hate castle siege. Tips?
camp the first part of the stage to the left. This will help you land shdl aswell as a spot that is safe from over head approaches. nair is also a good option here due to the 2 platforms. be weary that iap will be harder to find a use for because the floor is uneven and also very short.
be aware that there is also a lip on both ledges that you will get stuck under if you are forced to recover with fire falco. if you do not like this first part of the stage just camp hard on the left side under the platform with shdl and nair any over head approach.

oh i bet jab up that slope would ****.

overall i like the first part of this stage as falco.

if some other falco would like to go over the next 2 parts of that stage it would help ty

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Are we talking trouble against good people who play those characters, or typical/not particularly great players?
Last Kirby/ZSS I played were Kewkky (as both Kirby and ZSS) and Excel Zero (as ZSS). I recognize them as terrific players, much better than me at least.

DDD, i'm not sure, I know nothing on that match up. Wario, one of the best from my zone. MK... everyone lol, but Excel Zero's ***** me bad.

swordsaint

Smash Master
so like, it's just a thought i had while we're on the edge

its a potential recovery mixup for when we're pressured on the edge (not while holding the ledge, still onstage but very close to the edge)

so basically when we're at the edge trying to regain stage control, we fsmash towards the ledge while the opponent is behind us. The idea is that if they're shielding, we'll slide off the stage intentionally with the possibility to mindgame them in to a bair or an instant phantasm back on to the stage.

It'd be hard to punish us since we'll slide off the stage deliberately with ALL lag on our fsmash cancelled. I know the whole thing about attack a shield and sliding offstage is old, but I haven't heard of this application before, especially not being used deliberately.

swordsaint

Smash Master
fsmash is quicker than people give credit for, if you slide off the edge after it and lose any lag you had doing it you're both moving away from a potential punish and are in a position to instantly punish. Keep in mind fsmash has a rather deceptively large backwards hitbox.

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
Extremely situational but useful info none the less.

For a Marth that's camping the edge with mixups: ledgedrop Fair, sideB away to Bair, ect ect.

is it better to just stay the **** away? My brain says yes but my need to kick marth in his head says,"Kick marth in his head"

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
@SlashTalon : don't kick the Marth in his head, you'll fail 99% of the time. Instead try to steal the ledge if he goes down too far.
Then if he delays his DS just come back on stage while you're still invincible, but if he can't delay it you just 1-edgehog him to death or 2-have a free ledgejump Dair/Bair/Uair/whatever when he lands back on stage.

@Swordsaint : Why wouldn't you just run off the ledge ? It's faster than Fsmash as far as I can recall.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
How does one safely get back on the stage, or get off the ledge as Falco? It feels like I'm running head first into a wall of ****

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
How does one safely get back on the stage, or get off the ledge as Falco? It feels like I'm running head first into a wall of ****
Good mix ups. Phantasm is predictable, you gotta make it unpredictable.

Save you're second jump, bait the edge grab and jump and phantasm into the stage

Go straight for the edge and jump and phantasm in

Drop from the edge and Nair or Laser in

Just plain jump in

Stuff like that. Firebird can be useful for mix ups to but it's all about getting used to change your constant recovery habits.

swordsaint

Smash Master
@SlashTalon : don't kick the Marth in his head, you'll fail 99% of the time. Instead try to steal the ledge if he goes down too far.
Then if he delays his DS just come back on stage while you're still invincible, but if he can't delay it you just 1-edgehog him to death or 2-have a free ledgejump Dair/Bair/Uair/whatever when he lands back on stage.

@Swordsaint : Why wouldn't you just run off the ledge ? It's faster than Fsmash as far as I can recall.
because you'll hit their shield with fsmash, it'd be a mindgame that makes them try and shield grab you when they can't and get hit, or drop their shield.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
I need some clarification. I've always assumed boost grab meant BPG. Is boost grab just a dash-attack-cancelled grab? How much of a difference does it make?

Good mix ups. Phantasm is predictable, you gotta make it unpredictable.

Save you're second jump, bait the edge grab and jump and phantasm into the stage

Go straight for the edge and jump and phantasm in

Drop from the edge and Nair or Laser in

Just plain jump in

Stuff like that. Firebird can be useful for mix ups to but it's all about getting used to change your constant recovery habits.
This is what you are supposed to do, but perhaps it is difficult to know which is the best for the situation at hand. The biggest thing is to being able to gauge yourself and your opponents locations at roughtly the same time. If you see them rushing backwards towards the center of the stage all the time, then quit phantasming on the stage and go for the ledge. Inversly, if they are going for the ledge all the time, then go on stage or for a platform above the stage. Also, if someone tries to follow you offstage to hit you out of phantasm, using your jump in that case into phantasm over them comes in handy.

So keep watching what your opponent does as you are trying to get back to the stage and pick the route that will allow you to get to the stage without getting hit.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
I need some clarification. I've always assumed boost grab meant BPG. Is boost grab just a dash-attack-cancelled grab? How much of a difference does it make?
Yes, boost grab is a dash attack cancel grab. And you gain approximatively 1/2 Falco in lenght from a normal dash grab.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
its the difference between chain grabbing marth 2 times and chain grabbing him 5-6 times.

it doesnt make a massive difference most of the time. but it can be useful in certain niche situations.

also, yes, its just a dash attack canceled grab.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
its the difference between chain grabbing marth 2 times and chain grabbing him 5-6 times.

it doesnt make a massive difference most of the time. but it can be useful in certain niche situations.

also, yes, its just a dash attack canceled grab.
Yes, more damage when you do it 5-6 times. :bee:

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
when does pikachus CG stop working on falco?

like how much damage should i take so that the CG doesnt work?

or does can falco get grabbed at any percent for it to work?

Top Bottom