• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
people usually dont go up to you and tell you "you suck" unless they are messing around. smash community is pretty friendly

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys have a xat chat? I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each main owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

To do it the main owner has to tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room, click get, select it, OK)

So far the Link, Mario, Pit, and Pikachu xats are connected.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Do you guys have a xat chat? I'm trying to make a universal xat room that is tabbed to all individual character xats with each main owner becoming an owner in this room as well.

To do it the main owner has to tab xat.com/Wifi_Room
(Go to "Edit your Chat", type in Wifi_Room, click get, select it, OK)

So far the Link, Mario, Pit, and Pikachu xats are connected.
Actually, we do. http://xat.com/MarthMains
The chat is quite empty most of the time though, the only people that come frequently are Tennet, Punishment Divine (owner) and me.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Actually, we do. http://xat.com/MarthMains
The chat is quite empty most of the time though, the only people that come frequently are Tennet, Punishment Divine (owner) and me.
Well, I see you guys have like 5 guys in there right now, which is not as bad as others. Maybe if you promote it more (sig it lol). But yeah, these things can can get pretty empty thats why i want to get xat.com/Wifi_Room tabbed to all brawl xats to hopefully have a room where everyone can meet.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Well, I see you guys have like 5 guys in there right now, which is not as bad as others. Maybe if you promote it more (sig it lol). But yeah, these things can can get pretty empty thats why i want to get xat.com/Wifi_Room tabbed to all brawl xats to hopefully have a room where everyone can meet.
Lol there were five people because i was already promoting it.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Its called the shield breaker. It takes away about half of a shield and is to be rarely used. The only time I use it is against Dedede because of his horrible horizontal movement, it will be hard for him to punish. Or when I absolutely know they will shield, NOT perfect shield.

If you never heard of it or dont know what its about, dont use it.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Yes it's the neutral B input. It's called shield breaker (wonder why... hmmmmm)

This move will not break a full shield but it will come very darn close. There is little difference between shield reduction abilities of an uncharged shield breaker and a fully charged one so just use the uncharged version unless you sniff a spot dodge then you charge it for a little bit then release. It has ok pre lag and deceptive post lag (which is still bad) and has a greater range than most of his moves. Is there more you want to know?

Edit: ZMT, our first lines made me lol

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Shield Breaker, is there anywhere we can get a list of characters' shields in relation to each other? Or does everybody have the same shield?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Speaking of Shield Breaker, is there anywhere we can get a list of characters' shields in relation to each other? Or does everybody have the same shield?
The only unique shields are Jiggs and Yoshi to my knowledge.

Actraiser

Smash Cadet
This is a random question but I remember there use to be some kind of Marth guide written by M2K on here or at least I think it was from this board.. it was a while go that I read it. I'm pretty sure it even use to be a sticky too and I remember it begin fairly interesting and that it seemed useful, at least at the time it seemed useful.. so what happened to that or is it still on here?

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
search the board for "marth" and "guide" and "M2K"?

I constantly whiff fairs and fsmashes, they often miss by miniscule amounts. anyway i can forcibly improve my spacing quickly? i've been putting in a ton of practice and its just not there for me. im either just a little too far or way too close.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
This is a random question but I remember there use to be some kind of Marth guide written by M2K on here or at least I think it was from this board.. it was a while go that I read it. I'm pretty sure it even use to be a sticky too and I remember it begin fairly interesting and that it seemed useful, at least at the time it seemed useful.. so what happened to that or is it still on here?
Sure it wasn't melee?

I constantly whiff fairs and fsmashes, they often miss by miniscule amounts. anyway i can forcibly improve my spacing quickly? i've been putting in a ton of practice and its just not there for me. im either just a little too far or way too close.
There is no easy way to learn spacing. It's one of the toughest parts about playing Marth. It's going to take practice and a lot of it. It can be against anyone humans or CPUs. Just make it the focus of your game until it becomes natural.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
There was a sticky here which was made by Mew2King.

It was originally called "Mew2King Combo"

then it became was long winded guide on stuff I don't remember anything particular about.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143923&highlight=mew2king
^M2K's guide

Meh it's alright. It reminded me of a few little tricks like when someone recovers to the stage with their up+b and don't sweetspot the edge(cause you're edgehogging), you can ledgehop and reverse DS to knock them back off the edge as opposed to ledge hop nair/fair'ing them toward the center of the stage. ^^

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Alright om trying to improve my glide tossing follow-ups (ehem so I can **** Joseph aka Alterhalo). So what's the best option for long and medium range?

Long range I miss my opportunity a lot, short and medium I either follow up wit Fair or DB, but I want to know what works best.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Alright om trying to improve my glide tossing follow-ups (ehem so I can **** Joseph aka Alterhalo). So what's the best option for long and medium range?

Long range I miss my opportunity a lot, short and medium I either follow up wit Fair or DB, but I want to know what works best.
Meh I think that if you space your glide toss properly, you can often surprise them with a dsmash. The good thing about this is when you dsmash you try and hit them with the front end of it if they're near the edge of the stage(since you're talking about a long distance) so they'll be pushed off if they do shield, and the back end if they're not, so you'll end up knocking them back if they shield and you'll put some distance between yourself because of the glide toss. I think the biggest little trick I like about glide tossing is simply surprising people who are standing near a ledge just because it goes unpunished even if they shield.

Just a thought and a mix-up. Don't abuse it....

Takumaru

Smash Lord
How do I recover without getting gimped by MK? Should I try to stay center stage when playing against MK? Also I'm having trouble working in auto-canceled U-airs into my game; any tips for working that in?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
How do I recover without getting gimped by MK? Should I try to stay center stage when playing against MK? Also I'm having trouble working in auto-canceled U-airs into my game; any tips for working that in?
Well until Steel helps you, try going to Battlefield, and just fling out a bunch of Uair's. Alternate the timing, if you see that only the first few parts of the swing come out before u hit the ground, you autocancelled it.

If MK hasn't successfully put you like a mile from the stage, use your double jump and DB1 stall to get you as far up and close to the stage as possible, then DS.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
i know some of my questions are kinda durr, but, i'm just trying to be through (sp?). so i've been playing cp's to practice the moves and spacing and such (shaya told me too, i already know cp's suck i'm just practicing here lol) and i made a list of some questions that poped into my head.

1) i'm having trouble moving faster, i end up doing allot of things i don't want to do like Fsmash instead of jump and Fair. i think i'm just hitting jump (or whatever comand) too soon and it's getting left out entirely. i read somewhere about playing slowly first to get the timing of everything down pat and i was wondering if i should try something like that again or is there a better way to practice?

2) rolling? yes/no? it seems so, useless. is there anytime i should pick rolling over spot dodging or just shielding and countering oos / shield grabbing?

3) Uair, i'm having trobble with this, following up from Uair, setting up for Uair, i've got a couple of questions about this one cause it's generally full of fail.

any good set ups to get them into Uair range?

would Uair be ok to use against taller people on the ground?

should i ude Uair AT ALL against a grounded opponet?

my Uairs get air dodged, what's a good response to this if they reach the ground before i can get another aerial out?

would it be ok to use dancing blade's upword slash to get them up in the air for a juggle trap (or whatever it's called, i think it's a juggle trap)?

i CAN use the C-stick for Uairs but i hate it. it seems to trow off my timing, so do i have to? i understand that using the C-stick is mainly just for fast falling and using Uair simultaneously, but does it matter any other time?

4) someone mentioned boost smashing with marth (i think it was you rukkiko). when would i boost smash with marth? i don't think i've ever seen his boost smash used in and tournament vids.

5) how often should i jab? when is it best to jab? what about jab canceling the first slash? would i be better off using a different move like Dtilt or Ftilt?

6) any set ups i can use for Dsmash or is it "just wait for a good time to punish with a Dsmash"?

7) what are some good ways to use shieldbreaker to break shields, ie what moves should i be using to pressure my opponet's sheild and then break it with a quick shieldbreaker? what is the best way to use sheildbreaker?

8) i like to ledge hop allot. should i use it as much as my other options, use it less, or use it more? what are the best moves to use out of a ledge hop and what are good moves to use as a mix-up? currently i try to use Fair/Uair/Nair/air dodge the most, with the ocasional counter/sheildbreaker/dancing blade.

9) edge gaurding, what are the best moves, what are good mix-ups? i try to use (depending on the situation) Dsmash/Dtilt/dash attacks/Fair/Bair/Nair and somtimes throw in Fsmash/shieldbreaker/counter.

if you actually read all that then you have more patcience than me lol.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
i know some of my questions are kinda durr, but, i'm just trying to be through (sp?). so i've been playing cp's to practice the moves and spacing and such (shaya told me too, i already know cp's suck i'm just practicing here lol) and i made a list of some questions that poped into my head.

1) i'm having trouble moving faster, i end up doing allot of things i don't want to do like Fsmash instead of jump and Fair. i think i'm just hitting jump (or whatever comand) too soon and it's getting left out entirely. i read somewhere about playing slowly first to get the timing of everything down pat and i was wondering if i should try something like that again or is there a better way to practice?

2) rolling? yes/no? it seems so, useless. is there anytime i should pick rolling over spot dodging or just shielding and countering oos / shield grabbing?

3) Uair, i'm having trobble with this, following up from Uair, setting up for Uair, i've got a couple of questions about this one cause it's generally full of fail.

any good set ups to get them into Uair range?

would Uair be ok to use against taller people on the ground?

should i ude Uair AT ALL against a grounded opponet?

my Uairs get air dodged, what's a good response to this if they reach the ground before i can get another aerial out?

would it be ok to use dancing blade's upword slash to get them up in the air for a juggle trap (or whatever it's called, i think it's a juggle trap)?

i CAN use the C-stick for Uairs but i hate it. it seems to trow off my timing, so do i have to? i understand that using the C-stick is mainly just for fast falling and using Uair simultaneously, but does it matter any other time?

4) someone mentioned boost smashing with marth (i think it was you rukkiko). when would i boost smash with marth? i don't think i've ever seen his boost smash used in and tournament vids.

5) how often should i jab? when is it best to jab? what about jab canceling the first slash? would i be better off using a different move like Dtilt or Ftilt?

6) any set ups i can use for Dsmash or is it "just wait for a good time to punish with a Dsmash"?

7) what are some good ways to use shieldbreaker to break shields, ie what moves should i be using to pressure my opponet's sheild and then break it with a quick shieldbreaker? what is the best way to use sheildbreaker?

8) i like to ledge hop allot. should i use it as much as my other options, use it less, or use it more? what are the best moves to use out of a ledge hop and what are good moves to use as a mix-up? currently i try to use Fair/Uair/Nair/air dodge the most, with the ocasional counter/sheildbreaker/dancing blade.

9) edge gaurding, what are the best moves, what are good mix-ups? i try to use (depending on the situation) Dsmash/Dtilt/dash attacks/Fair/Bair/Nair and somtimes throw in Fsmash/shieldbreaker/counter.

if you actually read all that then you have more patcience than me lol.
1) First go around spamming your moves, each one until you get the feel and timing for them. Then try all combos such as walking into moves and dashing --> jumping and using aerials.
2) Rolling. It useless.
3) Uair *****. Practice it with the C-Stick, this helps auto cancelling a lot.
4) Lol I abuse it. On the Battlefield stage, and on Snake, it works great, practice it. You can also get a few surprised kills off of it. (around like 100 ~ 120%)
5) Jab should be use when the opponent is in your face. Two jabs will do the trick, then follow up. FTilt is for short hoppers.
6) There's not really many setups, you just have to find a good opportunity to use it. You can use it as a mixup on opponents who are lagging.
7) After a shielded DB1 or DTilt is a great and efficient time to use Shieldbreaker.
8) Keep mixing up the amount, sometimes you might even wanna stall with DS a little.
9) Bair, Fair, Nair

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
k thanks
i had more questions but i forgot to write them down. =/
you might be seeing allot of me here asking questions. i finally decided to get off my *** and improve lol.

VietGeek

Smash Hero

Why did you call Popo Nana? Nana was just being stupid. But you never assaulted her particularly.

Top Bottom