• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

MrEh

Smash Hero
You should grow up (i.e. stop being a 13/14 year old idiot) and/or go to a tournament.
That's not very nice. ><

In all seriousness though, I'm pretty sure he's been to a tournament.

For some reason I think my secondary, Marth, is now my worst character. I picked up Link and Toon Link, my worst two, and in a day I think I became better with them than Marth? Should I drop Marth immediately?
Go with your passion.

I definately don't use Bowser because I'm good with him. I use him because I want to.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I find that when you main Marth you'll go through those stages occasionally. About a month ago I was like "**** Marth, I'll just main Snake or one of my other seconds" But then I actually got a lot better, sorta found my Marth self lol. I would say wait until that happens, but you should go with who you enjoy playing the most. Obviously I would encourage you to keep at it, since I like you and every other person on the Marth boards, but only you can make that decision.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm 17 *******. Now why flame me after an honest question? It just shows your likely 14.
I would expect a 17 year old to not mistake "your" and "you're" while trying to defend themselves from their idiocy.

You asked an ultimately stupid question (not honest) IN THIS CONTEXT. The Q&A thread is not your mini emo blog. The Marth boards, nor any other board is there to be your personal councillor. Think of how quickly a topic would be locked if it was purely about -yourself- not knowing whether they should secondary Marth.

Drop Marth immediently. I'm sure Toon Link and Link are much better characters. That's the response you wanted, right?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I would expect a 17 year old to not mistake "your" and "you're" while trying to defend themselves from their idiocy.

You asked an ultimately stupid question (not honest) IN THIS CONTEXT. The Q&A thread is not your mini emo blog. The Marth boards, nor any other board is there to be your personal councillor. Think of how quickly a topic would be locked if it was purely about -yourself- not knowing whether they should secondary Marth.

Drop Marth immediently. I'm sure Toon Link and Link are much better characters. That's the response you wanted, right?
Since when did spelling on the internet dictate age? I type better then my 35 year old mother, does that mean she's 14?

Horrid logic, is horrid.

So he asked a question that you deem stupid, ignore it and move on with your life. That so hard to do?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
THIS IS MARF BOARDS; SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Honestly this wouldn't even happen if we all watched Clannad. =/

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Since when did spelling on the internet dictate age? I type better then my 35 year old mother, does that mean she's 14?

Horrid logic, is horrid.
Stupidity, in this day and age, generally ties in with education. Logic is a brilliant thing, no? I presumed that he was an adolescent because of the 'emotional' stereotype I would expect a 14 year old to express. He didn't do anything to prove otherwise by retorting with "**** blah" and calling me a "14 year old".

THIS IS MARF BOARDS; SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Honestly this wouldn't even happen if we all watched Clannad. =/
VietGeek is my favourite person ever. :laugh:
But you wouldn't want to READ THE SUPERIOR CLANNAD though. Or watch Clannad in general after episode 19 *shudder*.

illinialex24

Smash Hero

Yay your a PMSing *****. Wow lol.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Both of you are being stupid.
Shaya: Get that **** out of here. I'd like to say this is the one of the few threads where blatant flames should not be posted. I don't care if it was a personal problem question or not, its a question, and gives you no right to flame him like so.

Illin: Stop being stupid. Don't feed the troll. Simple.
My answer to your question - If you don't feel like playing Marth don't force yourself too. Remember you can always go back to a character and you can still get better at a character by not playing them. So if you have to give your Marth a rest, play some other people and go back to Marth when you feel like it.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Whoa wth? everyone stop, or Virg is gonna be pissed 0.o This is crazy, so... back on topic, and /flame.

Is Light shielding in Brawl?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
You should add properties of perfect shielding as well, like the window you have to do it and its uses.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Pretty sure we pissed off virg enough and he's almost given up on us at this point. Haven't seen him for a while =[

Anyways, ilin, you've been here long enough to know the answer to your own question.

ZMT: did you mean to post that in the Frame data section? o.o?

Scott!

Smash Lord
I find dair to be very useful once a foe is past 70%. Sure the recovery is slow, but it hits pretty quickly.
Actually, that's closer to when I would stop even considering dair as useful. I only use it seriously for early, low % kills. Once they're at a high enough %, I'd think fair-ing them away repeatedly would just be better. Missing the dair helps them recover, so at low %, it's worth the risk, since you probably won't be able to keep them away anyway, since you don't have the knockback yet, but once you do, fair seems like the surer thing.

zanshouken

Smash Rookie
umm, well I haven't really played in awhile,
and I've heard of Marth's "new" metagame, so to speak.
If there are really any significant differences from his old metagame
could you please explain some of them
I would like to rethink my playstyle...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
and I've heard Marth's "new" metagame, so to speak.
Arguably one of the few questions that might be worth its own thread... The list is pretty significant when you look at it meticulously.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Im going to make a guide on everythign about shields, and so far ive done this (it will be posted in the Tactical boards shortly):

- Definition of: Shield Stun, Shield Hitlag, Shield Drop Lag
- Basic Shield Knowledge such as angle-ing your shield, shield coloring and size
- Conservation and Utilization

Anything else, i should cover?
This will be useful for my lucario frame data (especially with lingering hitbox shenanigans).
Sorry for double posting, but also good ideas would be shield poke and how to avoid it, ratio for character to shield duration, etc.

Coda

Smash Cadet
and I've heard of Marth's "new" metagame, so to speak.

whats that shift in metagame?

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
When tap/smash DIing, should you simply hold the control stick(s) in one direction or continuously tap them (or one) in one direction?

Do diminishing returns reset when you lose a stock?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
When tap/smash DIing, should you simply hold the control stick(s) in one direction or continuously tap them (or one) in one direction?

Do diminishing returns reset when you lose a stock?
You continuosly tap the direction, and yes, fresh stock, fresh moves.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
so apparently mike haze can grab falco out of his sideB

anyone know what frame this is on? or like, what part of the animation you grab on? this can make the matchup MUCH easier, seeing as 99% of the damage i get from falco is from phantasm.

or anyone have tips on timing the jab that interrupts phantasm? i get it only around 40% of the time -.-

Battousai780

Smash Ace
I have a simple question. When doing the dthrow or fthrow to fsmash, should I stutter step my forward smash?

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I have a simple question. When doing the dthrow or fthrow to fsmash, should I stutter step my forward smash?
It depends on the character. On MK your dthrow to fsmash will hit without a stutter step. Fthrow to fsmash will work with no stutter step on Falco, Fox, Wolf, Dedede, and some others...

On characters like Marth, Mario, and most floaties you must stutter step for the fsmash to hit.

Its all character dependant. Sometimes a dthrow is better then a fthrow and vice versa.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
for a multi attack no tap in the direction its quickest to get out of it .... but for a regular attack yes hold the direction you di

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Whats a good secondary for a Marth player to use?
I dont want to sound like im being rude but chances are any answer you get to this question will be useless. This is the case because either a) someone suggests some secondary and you try to use them and you are no good with them at all or b) someone suggests a secondary and you get good with them and you still have problems with some characters anyway.

My advice is to use the characters you like to use. No sense in me telling you "use MK as a secondary" when you hate MK and have no desire to pick him up.

Top Bottom