• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Cavalry and Armored iirc. TAKE THAT, SAMUS!

Shame there are no axe units in this game, either.
Dude, if they had Hector in this game from FE, that would be amazing. It would combine the hitbox physics of DDD and the slash damage properties, and it would be like mixing ganondorf/Ike and D3 together, only with an axe.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KydIkykhmSY

Can marth fly? this kid at school (who won the tourny we had at the local lan, i can attest, he is not a noob, but he may be trolling me) said that he can do it, and i only found one or two vids on youtube, so i wanna know: Does this glitch exist?
This is prolly on light/tiny. Certain moves with properties that cause movement (like samus downB, marth sideB, or ROB downB) cause a "jump", allowing them to move where they want.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
Do you guys think we need like a "how to deal with specific moves" Thread/Discussion. I saw that the Falco and Boozer boards had it, and there probably are some others. It'd probably help quite a bit.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I don't know, we pretty much define each use of the moves in our guide and Match-Up discussion. Marth's straightforward, just technical as hell.

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
When fighting somebody with serious projectile spam like Pit or Link, it seems like Marth is forced to approach. In these cases, is baiting and punishing the only real option? Pit's speedy smashes are giving me headaches.

Rawnie

Smash Champion
When fighting somebody with serious projectile spam like Pit or Link, it seems like Marth is forced to approach. In these cases, is baiting and punishing the only real option? Pit's speedy smashes are giving me headaches.
Just try and perfect shield his arrows. Not too hard. Marth out ranges Pit, so spacing in this match is key. You could also use Dancing Blade to pressure him. Also try and get Pit in the air, Marth does better there.

I can't say much about Link though.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I don't know, we pretty much define each use of the moves in our guide and Match-Up discussion. Marth's straightforward, just technical as hell.
agreed, simple yet defined. and to the guy right above me, it's not like marth can really do much about a good projectile wall.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
agreed, simple yet defined. and to the guy right above me, it's not like marth can really do much about a good projectile wall.
He has to approach but he can punish it very well. His hybrid ground game and aerial game really poke holes in most projectile walls. Its why he has an advantage on pretty much every projectile spamming character, even Falco, because he can punish their landing and avoid them so well.

wildjango

Smash Cadet
hi im new to marth but my friend plays a pretty advanced one he always does this trick on me. f-throw (i airdodge) he dashes behind me and grabs me somehow how d u do it. and please no links to threads

cman

Smash Ace
hi im new to marth but my friend plays a pretty advanced one he always does this trick on me. f-throw (i airdodge) he dashes behind me and grabs me somehow how d u do it. and please no links to threads
It sounds like a simple pivot grab. Just hit the control stick the opposite direction you are moving while you press grab.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Alright so at a tournament I attended yesterday, I was reimbursed of the fact that ROB is gay. I really don't think I can beat ROB with Marth ever if they play uber campy and gay. Like, he didn't move. It was just laser, gyro, laser, gyro, then I get past that and I get shieldgrabbed. On top of that, when I was off the stage, I got WOP'd because Marth's recovery sucks so hard.

WTF am I doing wrong? -_-

C.J.

Smash Master
Im not dumb, I was obviously walk PSing most of his projectiles. Rob's insane range on his ftilt and shieldgrab ***** me, though

Your grab outranges his, and always try to get the gyro away from him, if you do his camping game is hindered by a good amount. If you're behind him, he's stuck. He'll try to dsmash, shield to DB or shield grab. Your glide toss=amazing. Use that to get behind him and commence to **** from there. Shield his ftilt into a DB and his dtilt into a grab or DS. Just try to keep his Gyro away from him so he can't get a new one, and once you get him the air, he's fairly easy to juggle. His air attacks are very predictable so FF to shield or spot dodge and punish. Campy ROBs get predictable when you get close from my experience, so, do as you're doing, walk and PS, then once you get close, you say that they shield grab you, spot dodge to DB to punish. Personally I love Norfair againt ROB. Stay under him the entire time and land hit after hit, or slowly wait for his shield to go down and then start playing your normal game. He'll be wary of shielding and won't be able to camp as effectively.

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm, the ROB advice is handy too. I don't regularly play any ROBs, but it sounds like the same problem.

Also, "reimburse" does not mean "remind". Sorry to be a douchebag about vocabulary, but that's a pretty major error.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Is there some easy way to pick up annoying projectiles like snakes nades, ROB's gyro, and diddy's bananas? I know for the bananas i usually dtilt up to one and marth picks it up automatically when you inch close enuff with the dtilt.

C.J.

Smash Master
Is there some easy way to pick up annoying projectiles like snakes nades, ROB's gyro, and diddy's bananas? I know for the bananas i usually dtilt up to one and marth picks it up automatically when you inch close enuff with the dtilt.
Diddy's bananas you can get w/ a dash attack. I would recommend you try to get the gyro/nades w/ a SHAD or SHFFFair

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Ah ok. I never knew you could SHAD the gyro, probably because im used to robs shooting it at me from so low. I always assumed that a fair would make the grenade explode but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and try it. Thanks.

C.J.

Smash Master
Ah ok. I never knew you could SHAD the gyro, probably because im used to robs shooting it at me from so low. I always assumed that a fair would make the grenade explode but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and try it. Thanks.
It usually does, but I've been able to do it a few times... I'd just stick to the AD, it's safer, lol.

Schwaumlaut

Smash Apprentice
My wall of fair spam usually grabs or deflects thrown projectiles - I play against a Snake and Zamus pretty frequently, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on other members of the cast. As far as grenades go, I don't ever recall detonating one with a fair - usually it's the fsmash or dsmash that blow them up.

Also, watch out on Snake's grenades - my homie likes to cook them so that I grab them and they blow up in my hand.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Better yet, usually it's better to avoid grabbing them unless you're close to them, otherwise they can make you drop it again. If you're close, you can do all sorts of things within the time. But according to my recollection, SHAD is the better way to go. Oh, and if you surprise them by getting really close to them before they throw, you can counter, and it will do damamge of the little "hit" from the grenade, and it will blow up in their face.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Shield Breaker is actually an underrated move in my opinion. It's a good pressure tool, and the satisfaction of breaking someone's shield is pretty spectacular. D-air, although overshadowed by Marth's other aerials, is actually a decent move. For a spike, it comes out fast and has good range to boot. I find it really useful for garnering early KOs. It may have huge post lag, but D-air is still a potent tool that is feared by a lot of players.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Hmmm, the ROB advice is handy too. I don't regularly play any ROBs, but it sounds like the same problem.

Also, "reimburse" does not mean "remind". Sorry to be a douchebag about vocabulary, but that's a pretty major error.
It was perfectly applicable in my sentence. gtfo

Thanks for the advice, I think I get the problem now...

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Right, as we know Brawl is a defensive game. The shielded foe has a much better position then an attacker.
The main moveset of Marth are.
1. Tilts
2. Fair, Bair, Nair.
3. DB, Counter, and DS

I find myself being shielded by foes when I DB.
In DB'ing a shielded opponment there is a couple of things I can do.

1. Stop DB immediatly and try to escape.
2. Continue alternating to the Down DB to rip shields.

Now, the problem with #1, there isn't adequate time to get out of the DB. If I stop I'll be grabbed, or hit by a fast tilt. I can't seem to jump out of the shield, and DS out of the attack is too slow.

Reguarding option #2, I can rip up shields, and of course get a hit in, successfully placing me back in a good postition. Also, because of the HitStun and Hitlag of the attack, the final DB lasts a little longer.

I however, do not know how to sufficiently deal with a shielded opponment with I DB. Any tips would be great.

BBoyindo

Smash Ace
The third hit green version pulls you back a little if you stop the move after it. When going for option two do the last hit green version. It shieldstabs sometimes. Don't know anything else.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
You could stop after any hit and Shieldbreaker, or you could stop it and wait for the grab and DS. You could also slow it down and go the down version route and pray for a shieldstab. I really don't recommend DBing on someone's shield if you get the choice, though. If you're wanting to DB at their shield, go for a safe dtilt first, then use the IASA frames to hop on that ****e

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
How reliable can 1st DB -> grab be? I saw Drago use it in one of his combo vids and it looked pretty cool.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
First hit DB to grab only allows the opponent 10 frames to do something.

Most players will tend to instinctively try to avoid the rest of DB. They will shield, that's good. If they shield most will attempt to rolll, in this case not many characters have fast enough rolls to avoid it.

Otherwise, yeah, they have 10 frames to do something; 9 if you count in grab armor. It's a pretty good situation.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Im going to make a guide on everythign about shields, and so far ive done this (it will be posted in the Tactical boards shortly):

- Definition of: Shield Stun, Shield Hitlag, Shield Drop Lag
- Basic Shield Knowledge such as angle-ing your shield, shield coloring and size
- Conservation and Utilization

Anything else, i should cover?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
For some reason I think my secondary, Marth, is now my worst character. I picked up Link and Toon Link, my worst two, and in a day I think I became better with them than Marth? Should I drop Marth immediately?

Top Bottom