• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I really wish the TO here posted results. I got top 8 at a biweekly today. Bored wasn't there... he would have gotten top 8 as well.

And not that it's a tourney or anything.. but I was proud of myself at the smashfest I went to last night... not during most of the fest, but when I took 8 stocks in crews. No recording there either. Anything I do right is always passed up. Gr.

BY the way. This ought to help out in our ditto match-up conversation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lon1lvfoAk&feature=channel_page
LOLZ. It's a Sonic main who has played me a lot in the past with his friend who's picking up the game and trying to find a main. I wonder if this is what it looks like for anyone watching a ditto of their main played out by people who don't play that character.
... I lol'd at the video.

Nice job at the tournament/Smashfest, 8-stock is impressive considering that's almost 3 people.

Kirk

Smash Champion
You walk off an edge(any will do), and THEN you Dair. Some people get that confused.

Whether you want to live from it or not is a different story.

Fastfall = death
No Fastfall = No death

As most would be interested in the latter, it is most commonly executed using a control scheme with your C-stick set to "Attack." It can also be done with the default control scheme, but requires a little more finesse.

metroid1117

Smash Master
You walk off an edge(any will do), and THEN you Dair. Some people get that confused.

Whether you want to live from it or not is a different story.

Fastfall = death
No Fastfall = No death

As most would be interested in the latter, it is most commonly executed using a control scheme with your C-stick set to "Attack." It can also be done with the default control scheme, but requires a little more finesse.
Just to add to this: walk-off DAir is a little risky without your C-stick set to "Attack" because if you C-stick a DAir after the peak of your jump, you'll auto-fastfall (however, you run the risk of suiciding with NAir if you set your C-stick to "Attack", but that's another issue). Therefore, in order to do it with the default C-stick setting (Smash), you have to gently nudge "down" on the control stick as you walk off the edge before C-sticking the DAir.

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
Is the C-stick (set to smash) guaranteed to fast fall when trying to do a Dair? Because I remember one time when I accidentally used the C-stick to do a walk-Dair and I some how managed to survive.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Simply put, if you are holding down on the control stick at anytime when you perform a Dair with the c-stick(set to smashes), you will NOT fastfall.

More in-depth:

-If you are descending and you press down on the control stick, you'll fastfall.
-However, if you are ascending and you press down on the control stick, you will NOT fastfall.
-You can, instead of just pressing down on the control stick, hold it down instead(while ascending) and you will not fastfall at any point in time while you are in the air.

This is how the mechanic works:

-C-stick set to smashes is the same as {Control stick smashed in a direction + Attack}. So, when you are in the air and falling, pressing the c-stick down will fastfall yourself, simply because of the {Control stick smashed down} mapping, the same as it would work if you just pressed down yourself.
-If, however, you are already holding down on the control stick(as I explained above) and you press the c-stick downwards, what is happening? The game will try to input {Control stick smashed down} to your character, BUT...you already have the control stick downwards. This essentially cancels out that command and you will just attack instead, in this case performing a Dair at the same fall speed as you were currently going.

That, and kittens. Kittens also allow you to not fastfall an aerial. (I dare you to prove me wrong!)

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
Simply put, if you are holding down on the control stick at anytime when you perform a Dair with the c-stick(set to smashes), you will NOT fastfall.

More in-depth:

-If you are descending and you press down on the control stick, you'll fastfall.
-However, if you are ascending and you press down on the control stick, you will NOT fastfall.
-You can, instead of just pressing down on the control stick, hold it down instead(while ascending) and you will not fastfall at any point in time while you are in the air.

This is how the mechanic works:

-C-stick set to smashes is the same as {Control stick smashed in a direction + Attack}. So, when you are in the air and falling, pressing the c-stick down will fastfall yourself, simply because of the {Control stick smashed down} mapping, the same as it would work if you just pressed down yourself.
-If, however, you are already holding down on the control stick(as I explained above) and you press the c-stick downwards, what is happening? The game will try to input {Control stick smashed down} to your character, BUT...you already have the control stick downwards. This essentially cancels out that command and you will just attack instead, in this case performing a Dair at the same fall speed as you were currently going.

That, and kittens. Kittens also allow you to not fastfall an aerial. (I dare you to prove me wrong!)
Thanks.

Me? Prove Kirk wrong? That will take some time...
Kittens?

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
I always forget to ask this,

I have my control setting to attack so my cstick doesn't smash anymore. Does that mean I can't SDI I feel like I don't I might be having a bad day but I doubt I can

Kirk

Smash Champion
No worries there. You must certainly can. You must remember that you can use both the C-stick AND the control stick for SDI.

@KoS - Yes, Kittens.

metroid1117

Smash Master
No worries there. You must certainly can. You must remember that you can use both the C-stick AND the control stick for SDI.

@KoS - Yes, Kittens.
I always forget to ask this,

I have my control setting to attack so my cstick doesn't smash anymore. Does that mean I can't SDI I feel like I don't I might be having a bad day but I doubt I can
(I feel weird doing this again since I did it before but to avoid confusion...)

Just to clarify: When your C-stick is set to "Attack", you cannot use it to SDI. You can, however, SDI with the control stick.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Am I the only one who uses dash attacks?
I mean, not for Bthrow to dash attack. Everybody does that.
But it's a great way to punish laggy moves from afar. It's a good thing to mix into approaches.. I mean, if I can send them offstage with it especially.. and they're expecting a shielding approach or a grab, the dash attack will come out before they think to shield. It could be my imagination, but I don't see you guys use it that much.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
dash attack is a great punisher cause it covers a distance pretty fast.

also kills lightweights-middleweights (110%-140%)

Good for a surprise approach i'd say.

Range is really surprising to those with no/little experience

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
It is a technique where you turn and buffer a jab combo during the turn.

Now for a question of my own. What do you fellow Ike suggest to be a good style for playing Ike? (i.e. Aggressive, passive, or defensive)

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Am I the only one who uses dash attacks?
I mean, not for Bthrow to dash attack. Everybody does that.
But it's a great way to punish laggy moves from afar. It's a good thing to mix into approaches.. I mean, if I can send them offstage with it especially.. and they're expecting a shielding approach or a grab, the dash attack will come out before they think to shield. It could be my imagination, but I don't see you guys use it that much.
I use dash attacks in only a few situations, but it does have its uses.

Sometimes I use it as an edgeguard or to at least trigger an air dodge if I'm too far away (with some time to do something else)

Picking up snake's grenades and if I predict he's going to roll.

Punishing people who roll away in general

After nair or fair, if you can time a dash attack to hit them when they land/out of air dodge.

Bthrow-->dash attack is never guaranteed for me for some reason o_O. I prefer to use safer methods after throws, or something that could possibly kill. I tend not to use dash attack straight out, because it's too risky for its payback. You could get punished very well.

However, dash attack is useful in many situations in doubles, though, mostly in aiding your partner.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
It is a technique where you turn and buffer a jab combo during the turn.

Now for a question of my own. What do you fellow Ike suggest to be a good style for playing Ike? (i.e. Aggressive, passive, or defensive)
Aggressive is what works for a lot of us. As soon as you find an opening, put as much pressure on the enemy as possible. Get in there and screw their life.
Of course, there are some people who can play passively and do very well.
It sort of depends on match-up as well. Say you're fighting a Kirby. You may find yourself using a lot more retreating Fairs than usual in a match-up like that, since jabs won't really work and you can't keep yourself right on him all the time.
There are just certain situations where you should act differently. But as far as a general play style goes, it's up to how YOU personally work.
My recommendation would be aggressive, but you really have to know what you're doing to be aggressive and it make it work. Just experiment, ask questions, and develop.
But again. It's all up to your particular style.

Palpi

Smash Hero
At high level of play, you need to play defensivley for a large of portion of the match as any character, especially Ike since he can be punished fairly well.

Mikey2eyes

Smash Rookie
I find myself more aggressive against heavier, bigger characters.
You need to be aggressive with characters like Snake and Marth because if you don't you'll usually find yourself in a bit of a corner.

For dash attacks, I use them sparingly and so my opponents rarely expect them. I often space them to hit just at the tip, harder to punish and apparently most effective knockback-wise.
A dash attack will get someone who has tripped or is still on the ground btw. Sometimes they fall over from your Bthrow or Fthrow providing an ideal chance to Dash Attack.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Style I use: All of the above. I use whatever is best for each character and each player. I played extremely aggressively against Marth players, then I had to go extremely passive against a G&W player (range abuse). Besides, just using one style is predictable.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Playstyle for Ike...

The best answer is: Your own.

You wouldn't want to force yourself into playing a way that you aren't necessarily comfortable with or a style you don't know a lot about.

There will always be a time to be more aggressive and times to be more defensive. Knowing when and where to apply said "styles" is more important.

For myself, I don't believe in any one particular "style." I just try to do what needs to be done in any situation that is thrown at me. Whether it turns out to be an "aggressive" or a "defensive" style would be in the eyes of anyone watching. I just play the game and try to make the best choices I can.

Just remember, this is simply my opinion. Everyone is going to have different views and thoughts on the subject.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
For myself, I don't believe in any one particular "style." I just try to do what needs to be done in any situation that is thrown at me. Whether it turns out to be an "aggressive" or a "defensive" style would be in the eyes of anyone watching. I just play the game and try to make the best choices I can.
I'm sigging that!

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Anyone find going to training mode and setting a level 9 computer to "Run" command useful at all? --Since one of Ike's biggest weaknesses is leaving himself open to those who avoid or shield misspaced aerials. Kind of annoying that they roll too much, lol, but at least it may give someone some knowledge of how people can evade you and how bad a position you're in if they dodge or something.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I access how soon they dodged. If it they spot dodged the moment the hitbox came out, got like 20 some frames leeway before they can do anything.

If they read you and time the dodge near the end, you got 5 frames (perfectly timed) or so.. (5 chars get out in 2 frames)

Conspiricy

Smash Journeyman
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'm online, Brawl
Hey guys, not sure if it's been seen but...

on BF, left hand side on the yellow crease just before an aether would take you to the ledge, there seems to be a gap.

Ike will go up through the level, you will see ike, and then he will plummet downward.

I it's been spotted...then I now look like a newb...if not...yay?

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
It has been spotted before and is possible to grab the edge. I don't believe there are any applications for it yet.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Can anyone show me the eurption spike? I'll never seen it nor done it :/
Go into training mode.

Choose an opponent no taller then Marth, but not one of the ******* like Kirby.

Stand right in front of them.

Full Jump -> Double Jump

RIGHT at the apex of your second jump, tap B. If you see the opponent fly slowly upwards a bit not on fire, you just landed an eruption spike. If they are on fire, you miss timed it.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
hi. I want to show the Ike boards this hilarious match I got into on Basic Brawl, but it doesn't do **** for his metagame so it will probly get locked. I got into this ffa with 2 Ikes ganging up on a Link player, I tried to stay out of it but Link attacked me too so I also picked Ike and fought for my friends. Seriously, 3 d-taunts at the same time? I was lol'ing so hard...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0PF1XPj2bA

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Let me tell you the story about the game that changed my destiny. Me and my boys got brawl. Just to end up in misery. Was about to get to the top, but then I saw MK standing in front of me. I said "crap". Then he whornadoed me goodbye. Got owned. I shoulda CP'ed Diddy. Ike sucks badly. But I picked, and got gimped.

Listen buddy I'm sorry, but Brawl can't be played competitively. I can't win with Ike, don't bother picking him, just go with MK. I say again, Ike can't win, so you know, MK is the only way right? Go Mach tornado.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Lol, basic brawl is silly when people pick Hyrule Temple.
One person will get one kill with 30 seconds left. Then he'll run away. And the person you're about to kill runs away to chase him. And then, after 28 seconds of running away from you and the poor guy who died first, they finally get hit by your dash attack and die off the right side, and you gain the lead with less than 2 seconds to go.

True story. I think I saved that replay.

EDIT: My friend just uploaded a video that I had completely forgotten about. Watch the last kill. It's better than anything RoK could ever do. Ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cxQFBYSpmc&feature=related

Edit2: Wrong url first time, whoops. Fixed.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Wow, it feels like I travelled back in time a year, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom