• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Who's going to remake the match up guide? We really need one remade since the new tier list is out.

Edited: Ah, there is one, why am I so ****ing stupid. T_T

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Niddo Canadians are ****s they were so rude to us when we were at a gas station because we are from texas... but niagra falls was cool haha i was in your territory for once and it was pretty good... in NY now debating whether to go to tourney or not on the fact of idk if I will get any friendlies...

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I finally hit a Jab->Bair in a match today... It felt good. I haven't perfected it but I'm still practicing.
I know what you mean, I've perfected it against a sandbag but so far I've only pulled it off twice in-game, and at non-critical moments too. It works best when it'll KO them, but I never remember to do it in those cases.

Also, when is a good time or situation to do a RAR? Because I have the timing down and I've tried to use it in-game several times but I'm rarely successful, like, they usually out-space me or somehow manage to predict it or something... anyways is there a 'best' time to use that as an approach?

Palpi

Smash Hero
If they "out-space" your bair, if it is auto-cancelled you are fine, if they start to approach you can instantly turn around from the bair and jab. I rarely RAR with ike, but a retreating RAR F-air also works against an aggresive opponent too. If someone see an ike run at them they can either safely shield or some some sort of gtfo move if they close enough for a grab, so RARing is that great, but it definitely isn't useless. Just use it as a change of pace for approaching and other shiz like dat.

-Senior Critic Palpi

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
If they "out-space" your bair, if it is auto-cancelled you are fine, if they start to approach you can instantly turn around from the bair and jab. I rarely RAR with ike, but a retreating RAR F-air also works against an aggresive opponent too. If someone see an ike run at them they can either safely shield or some some sort of gtfo move if they close enough for a grab, so RARing is that great, but it definitely isn't useless. Just use it as a change of pace for approaching and other shiz like dat.
I've never tried a retreating RAR Fair before, usually if I'm facing a Sonic or a Fox or someone who likes to dash up quickly and attack, I'll just tap jump backwards and cstick an Fair forwards, and it usually works if I time it right. But yah I rarely use RAR as an approach as it is, usually just if I notice my opponent is reading my other approaches too well.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
So I have two questions.

What's the best aerial to space against a Peach?
Also, any tips on the timing of jab, jab, RAR bair?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
So I have two questions.

I would assume Fair, but I've never played a Peach.

Jab -> Bair is better, more hitstun. It's still not guaranteed though. It's just Jab -> Joystick opposite direction -> Jump -> Bair

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
So I have two questions.

Yah Ike's Fair is his best spacing tool in most situations because it outranges everything in the game and can be done laglessly in a full-hop. His Nair is also good because it has decent range and at low percents it can combo into a jab, which can combo into other nice things.

As for the jab -> Bair, I do it by jabbing once (or twice, it doesn't make too much difference but there's less lag on the first jab), and then buffering a turn-around by holding back on the control stick, then immediately tap-jumping and buffering the Bair with my c-stick. That's what I've found to be the best way to do it quickly, but it's still not a guaranteed combo, things like Marth's upB or even just good DI can escape it.

metroid1117

Smash Master
So I have two questions.

1. FAir is the best, but since she doesn't have any disjointed hitboxes except for her turnips, NAir can work as well.

2. Jab, then gently tilt the control stick in the opposite direction to turn; do this a couple of times to get used to the timing of when you turn. After that, it's just a matter of adding a short-hopped BAir right after you turn. In terms of what you should be doing, it should be jab -> turn -> BAir in one fluid motion.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Yah Ike's Fair is his best spacing tool in most situations because it outranges everything in the game and can be done laglessly in a full-hop. His Nair is also good because it has decent range and at low percents it can combo into a jab, which can combo into other nice things.

As for the jab -> Bair, I do it by jabbing once (or twice, it doesn't make too much difference but there's less lag on the first jab), and then buffering a turn-around by holding back on the control stick, then immediately tap-jumping and buffering the Bair with my c-stick. That's what I've found to be the best way to do it quickly, but it's still not a guaranteed combo, things like Marth's upB or even just good DI can escape it.
Or just shielding.

Best time to use Jab to Bair is when your opponent is escaping your jabs up/away. Because they won't be going towards the ground to shield. When they're trying to escape, they're more likely to eat the Bair.
I usually use Utilt unless I'm feeling confident with a Bair.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yah Utilt is a more reliable follow-up in most situations. Bair is a better KO move if you save it though, so if you catch someone in a jab near the edge of the stage and they start to DI up and away, that's the time to Bair for the KO, I've KOd with a Bair off the edge of FD at around 50-60%, character dependent of course.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Mmhmm.
Then again, I also find myself saving Utilt for the kill a lot more. Because I use Bair a lot in my game outside of jabs. I don't diminish Utilt so much, because I use it for the kill a lot.
I mean, it seems like a good idea to me.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
That's true, it depends what stage though, like, on a stage with a high ceiling like FD, I wouldn't put too much faith in Utilt to do the job at a reasonable %. It's true Utilt is an underused move compared to Bair, since Bair can be used for spacing and even edge-guarding. Utilt is the fastest tilt Ike has, so using it as a KO move makes sense, but I've found Bair can KO earlier, even if it's worn down a bit.

I think it all comes down to situation. Sometimes Utilt is better as a jab follow-up and sometimes Bair is better. My problem is that I play mostly online, so it's extremely difficult to vary my jab game effectively with the input lag. I cherish the few live tournaments we have here where I can play to my full potential (which still isn't too much right now...)

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Part I of the comprehensive guide is complete. Tell me what you guys think of it or what you guys think should be edited. Part II should be done relatively quickly if I decide not to put pictures of each move. Kirk, may I use your video of Ike's moveset that you uploaded about a year ago as a reference?

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Well NY smash was fun as Penta could tell you, amazingly i got to meet Penta and talk to him for a bit... Although i wasnt able to stay long enough for the horribly organized singles it was still fun playing the people there... Though the only match i played with Penta was Ike dittos on Brawl+ lol.. so yeah NY smash was awesome... hopefully there will be something else within the next 2 weeks... if not oh well

P.S. Ryko do you know a dude named like BriMs? becase he would not shutup about Jab->Bair and that you taught him his ike or something like that because he was bugging the **** out of me!

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Yeah I know brims but to say I taught him how to play ike is kind of a stretch. He calls every once in a while to ask about something but I've talked in much much further depth with other people.

Idk.

King of Sack

Smash Journeyman
Ok... does someone know any good Ikes that still play wifi not including Renegade (he quit) Red-X, San, Kimchi, or (>__>) Kirk?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Every Ike player needs to play Balanced Brawl now.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=239604

QUICK DRAW IS USEABLE. As in, Ike can go under and around Smashville usable.
I want to see videos of this.

Anyways, I have a question regarding opponents coming back onto stage using airdodge. I can charge my upsmash and time it to where they get hit once they land. The opponent's recovery consists of using airdodge right before they land, and going straight into shield. With up-smash, if timed correctly, I am able to hit them. I was just wondering if anyone had the timing down with F-Smash?

Video would be nice.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183

Anyways, I have a question regarding opponents coming back onto stage using airdodge. I can charge my upsmash and time it to where they get hit once they land. The opponent's recovery consists of using airdodge right before they land, and going straight into shield. With up-smash, if timed correctly, I am able to hit them. I was just wondering if anyone had the timing down with F-Smash?

Video would be nice.
Its not timing it with fsmash, its timing the landing lag. Landing lag is 2-4 frames long... Normally great for long lasting hitboxes like nair since it just needs that 1 frame of being open to be hit out of the 27 frames the hitbox is out.

I know I time fsmash for landing lag though, 6 frames of fsmash to hit 2 frames of landing lag.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master

Video would be nice.
I've done it before (it was at the Smashfest a few weeks back with tons of people we didn't know.. during the crew battle), but I don't have the timing DOWN. Felt really nice when I got it though.
Perhaps it's something we should work on?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
BBrawl is on the rage o.o and i'm for it too.

Only reason I stopped B+ is cause Ike's ground moveset is too slow for a fast paced game. but with the same brawl game with small tweaks here and there + a recovery for Ike ;D i think i'm liking it.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
BBrawl is pretty fun.
I kind of agree, they could have been a bit more generous for Ike but I mean, what they did do completely solves his recovery problem. Being able to quickdraw several times and still be able to jump/airdodge/attack/aether vastly increases our recovery options. The reduced ending lag could be very useful too.

Edit: Lol, you edited your text just after I quoted it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I still don't understand what Ike can do about Olimar though as pikmin stop QD in its tracks, but everyone else he can deal with now.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I still don't understand what Ike can do about Olimar though as pikmin stop QD in its tracks, but everyone else he can deal with now.
Well for one thing the ending lag being reduced makes it so that he can't do (a whole) lot if you QD the Pikmin a fair bit away.

Secondly: Sorry for disappearing from the face of the planet. Since I'm back for a bit I may as well chat, how have you guys been?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom