• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Yea, I don't think I have problems with the fundamentals, but I do need to get back into playing people. The little things like timing my air dodge, attacks, and simply knowing match ups will go a long way.

BTW, I was surfing youtube and I found this. A method Yoshi can use to gimp us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwxXV3XEag4

Clearly something we should watch out for when Yoshis start using it.
Don't double jump when being CG'd.

Problem = solved.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Don't double jump when being CG'd.

Problem = solved.
Easier said than done, especially if we are recovering from far. We're gonna have to use our double jump, and if Yoshi uses the egg in combo with his grab, we're screwed. Also, we might have to use our second jump if we are not positioned properly underneath the stage to pull off an aether. I'm sure there are plenty of other situations when Ike would have to use his double jump while trying to get back onto stage.

Not sure if this would work. But making sure we are low as possible before we use Aether might prevent the egg from hitting us.

metroid1117

Smash Master
BTW, I was surfing youtube and I found this. A method Yoshi can use to gimp us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwxXV3XEag4

Clearly something we should watch out for when Yoshis start using it.
So the method is egg -> grab -> grab release?

It looks like we can just airdodge the grab and try for another Aether, but that's Wi-fi; in real life it would be done faster, so that's questionable.

It looks like an interesting gimp, I won't say much more because I can't really experiment to break out of it though.

Kirk

Smash Champion
Well you know...we can do the samething to yoshi...and im sure almost every character can at that lol. You just have to grab him without his second jump at the edge of the stage. Edgehog if necessary. May not be as easy to get in that situation, but the possibility still exists.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
A Yoshi did this to me before Poltergust uploaded that video and I found what works is to DI up if the Egg hits and just Air dodge the grab. Don't try to Aether low, because the egg has a deceptively large hitbox so you'll get hit anyway and you'll just make it harder for yourself to recover back. Try to Aether as early as possible, especially on the first jump and save the double jump.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Grabbing and releasing ike out of his second jump so he just falls to his death is pretty common knowledge, that's why when I jump back towards the stage I always air dodge. You can do the same thing to yoshi if you know he's gonna come back with some sort of aerial and just pivot or shield grab him and then let him die, also works on link, and puts marth in a precariously easy to spike spot.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Ike just really just get into low tier already. It blows that he goes down to spots and is still right above it. The process seemed really confusing to me though sonic and bowser tied yet sonic ended up 2 above him...

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Actually if you look down below the ABCDEF tiers... it shows a list of "high," "middle," and "low" tiers. It puts Ike and PT right at the top of "low" tier. So. Yuh. Low tier apparently extends into D tier.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I just found this video on an infinite grab release on Wario and I want to know if anyone has actually managed to pull it off in battle. If so, is it reliable/would you recommend practicing it or no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2g8RjlgMwQ (Watch it at around 2:23 because that's where it actually shows it in action.)

Also, what's everyones opinion on the current Ike guide we have if you don't mind giving me some feedback on it that is. Thanks.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I just found this video on an infinite grab release on Wario and I want to know if anyone has actually managed to pull it off in battle. If so, is it reliable/would you recommend practicing it or no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2g8RjlgMwQ (Watch it at around 2:23 because that's where it actually shows it in action.)

Also, what's everyones opinion on the current Ike guide we have if you don't mind giving me some feedback on it that is. Thanks.
Yea, we've known about it for a while. As far as executing it, it takes good timing, and is very time consuming to get some decent damage.

As far as the current Ike guide, great for beginners or newbs. Work on what's recommended and you should be good.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Does anyone have any tips on the Zelda match up?
Fair Fair Fair Fair.

Don't go air to air with her. Once you're at 40%, be aware of lightning kick attempts. SDI her smashes. Predict where she is going to land/appear with Up B and punish. If you get really good, you can Dtilt spike her before she grabs the ledge IIRC.

Usual Jab fun. She doesn't have a good way to get out thanks to her slow jab.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps

yeah i have pulled it off in game before but yeah its all about timing like bored said.. i can only do it a few times before the Wario manages to jump away or foot stool me because of bad timing lol...

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Apparently, Ike's first jab has 3 different hitboxes? I didn't know this...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236603

Ike

First Jab
HB1:
- no action: +16
- aerial action: +7
- air time: 5 frames
HB2:
- no action: +10
- aerial action: +5
- air time: 2 frames
HB3:
- no action: +8
- aerial action: +2

Second Jab
- no action: +6
- aerial action: 0
- air time: (forgot to get :V)

metroid1117

Smash Master
Apparently, Ike's first jab has 3 different hitboxes? I didn't know this...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=236603

Ike

First Jab
HB1:
- no action: +16
- aerial action: +7
- air time: 5 frames
HB2:
- no action: +10
- aerial action: +5
HB3:
- no action: +8
- aerial action: +2

Second Jab
- no action: +6
- aerial action: 0
- air time: (forgot to get :V)
That's surprising... I'm surprised that we get a max of 7 frames of advantage if you hit with the first hitbox. No wonder jab -> jab is a true combo...

Sort of sucks knowing that even with 7 frames anything slower than jab -> grab is not very safe :(.

Kirk

Smash Champion
A single Jab, if connected, gives you a 6 frame advantage on your opponent. This means you can act 6 frames before your opponent can do anything(in this case it would be jumping, as it is the fastest action possible).

What does this mean? 1st Jab --> 1st Jab is a true combo. SDI can naturally be used to escape this in time, but it still does work regardless.

Now, if they do NOT jump, they have a significantly longer time before they can do anything(with my testing using Snake, it was about 7 frames more, but this value is dependant on the weight of the character and any SDI used).

Why point this out? This gives you about a 13 frame advantage. Hmmm... *looks at moves that come out in 13 frames* ...Well now we have some Grabs...Utilt...and DSmash!

Neat...eh?

P.S. Just because, I tested the 2nd Jab as well. You only get a ONE frame advantage from this. No combos here!
Meh...its about the same.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
That's surprising... I'm surprised that we get a max of 7 frames of advantage if you hit with the first hitbox. No wonder jab -> jab is a true combo...

Sort of sucks knowing that even with 7 frames anything slower than jab -> grab is not very safe :(.
It would explain why my jab to dsmash got power shielded yesterday.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I was just surprised how many different hitboxes there were to it. I think we come across the first hitbox most of all, anyways.

Kinda unrelated, but me+Renegade team at AiB doubles is now 1st place. 16-0
http://allisbrawl.com/ladder/rankings.aspx?id=16
Hopefully we can keep it up.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Question:
What is an example of a practical use of jab to Dsmash?
I mean, are there situations when it's better to follow with Dsmash than with another attack like Utilt? Or is it used as a preference for people with different control settings? Just really curious, because I've never used it.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Question:
What is an example of a practical use of jab to Dsmash?
I mean, are there situations when it's better to follow with Dsmash than with another attack like Utilt? Or is it used as a preference for people with different control settings? Just really curious, because I've never used it.
I'm not too much of a fan of jab -> DSmash... I guess it's a good way to kill floaties at high %s from a jab if you're afraid of getting a non-sweetspotted UTilt (which might not kill and ruin the element of surprise), but that's pretty much it I guess. DSmash is just as fast as UTilt in terms of frame data, but it just feels faster when you actually use it in battle. The main problem with DSmash is that there's two hits and it's cool-down time after the second hit is fairly long; too long for you to follow up well.

As for people with different control settings, I'm not sure; I never make a conscious effort to jab -> DSmash, so I wouldn't know.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
I've found a much better liking to Utilt in my game lately. It comes out pretty fast, and instead of shielding a charged smash, it's more useful to substitute an Utilt in, though it is risky. By the way, what do you guys shield with? I usually shield with L with my pointer finger and I've found I'm shield dashing way too much so I'm trying to figure out a new way to Shield :/.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I've found a much better liking to Utilt in my game lately. It comes out pretty fast, and instead of shielding a charged smash, it's more useful to substitute an Utilt in, though it is risky. By the way, what do you guys shield with? I usually shield with L with my pointer finger and I've found I'm shield dashing way too much so I'm trying to figure out a new way to Shield :/.
Hmm... I know it's a pretty good move to counter aerial approaches, but for some reason I never use UTilt out of habit like jabbing; probably because it's a little slow for my liking in terms of getting from the lowest to highest point.

I shield with L, but I never use my right index finger for anything except pivot/dash grabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom