• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I have a bad habit of rolling or bairing when someone is directly behind me. I see other Ikes do turn around jabs quite quickly which I think is more effective.

Whenever I try and do turnaround jabs I find a ftilt coming out, any tips? :/
It's pretty much you turn and then let go of the stick and then jab. Don't turn and keep holding the stick as you try to jab. Also, don't slam on the stick, otherwise you will run.

Mikey2eyes

Smash Rookie
Ah so a quick and light tap. The hardest kind :/
Thats why it looks so fast then, it's buffered.

Thanks for the advice, now I can go get rid of that bad habit.

Palpi

Smash Hero
It is pretty much the only way Ike can punished rollers like lucario. It may seem hard at first, but it is really easy once you learn to integrate into a match after you practice it lol.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I have a bad habit of shielding when someone's behind me. I don't know why, but every couple matches or so that may happen. It's really just getting comfortable with the situation and remembering that you know what to do.

By the way, I'm starting to use short hop RAR up air a lot more on people. It seems to have a bit of shield knockback/poking qualities if used against grounded opponents. Not sure how useful it would be so far (aka the spacing needed so it'll be very hard to punish), but it could have some promise with it's range, and doesn't seem to have too much landing lag to not do anything.

I think up air's hitbox starts at the back and comes around and ends at the back, with the highest point being in front and the lowest in back, so reverse up air may be easier to use on airborne opponents because of the longer hitbox/pointing downwards (the way people usually want to go) and it comes out quicker. Ike's fast fall speed can help catch up to most opponents when they air dodge, too. I'm starting to use nair/ reverse up air against aerial opponents a lot more than fair nowadays.

I think more Ikes should try to utilize his fast fall speed to get around attacks so he can jab, shield, etc. I see too many just drift in the air when they can get to the ground really fast with a FF AD to a (stutter step?) jab string or something. You may get a little extra distance when landing to the jab, too. Ike seems really fast if you mix fast falling with dashes, especially with platforms.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm so bad with words. I meant like after you land and you jab, that extra distance before you jab >__<

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
It's doable to stutterstep jab as ike, it's also doable to continue the jab string even though you took a step manually in the middle of it. If you use your c stick in the opposite direction of the way you're facing when you have it set to attack, ike will jab, that means you can do stuff like press a quick left then right to stutterstep backwards and you dont need to let go of the direction to press A if you just hit your c stick left immediately while turning around.

To do the jab (walk) second jab, just walk in one direction and hit your c stick in the other direction slowly enough until you get the timing down.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Taking a step back to outspace something isn't worthless, especially for someone with such a far reaching frame 3 option. I ***** the hell out of taking a step back to continue jab/tilt strings on snake, as anyone who attempts to move in is going to get smacked for it. The CPU did it against me quite a bit as ike too, dunno why.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Would stepping forward after jab also have an applicable use?

I was messing with this for a little when I had my wii, but never really tried using it in actual matches, like for people who try to SDI up/away who don't really have any quick aerial/good options to get out. I always noticed that people get out easier because I was jabbing so fast, and hardly put much thinking about timing it. Even if I did, they would still get out anyways.

If you have cstick set to attack, just pressing diagonally on the cstick would initiate another jab. Timing your first and maybe second jabs when your opponent is just landing while walking forward could:

1. help bring damage while not allowing opponents to get away with that distance and
2. could allow for easier options once they actually land, like a grab, or mixing it up with what Ryko said about stutter step/spaced jabs, since you're closer to the opponent, or w/e basic followups after jabs there are.

The biggest obstacle to this was the game's interpretation of the cstick as a jump sometimes, but I think that can be overcome, and what timing's needed so they don't double jump.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Would stepping forward after jab also have an applicable use?

I was messing with this for a little when I had my wii, but never really tried using it in actual matches, like for people who try to SDI up/away who don't really have any quick aerial/good options to get out. I always noticed that people get out easier because I was jabbing so fast, and hardly put much thinking about timing it. Even if I did, they would still get out anyways.

If you have cstick set to attack, just pressing diagonally on the cstick would initiate another jab. Timing your first and maybe second jabs when your opponent is just landing while walking forward could:

1. help bring damage while not allowing opponents to get away with that distance and
2. could allow for easier options once they actually land, like a grab, or mixing it up with what Ryko said about stutter step/spaced jabs, since you're closer to the opponent, or w/e basic followups after jabs there are.

The biggest obstacle to this was the game's interpretation of the cstick as a jump sometimes, but I think that can be overcome, and what timing's needed so they don't double jump.
ok i was working on this and i haven't worked on it with a person yet but i am going to test it out soon.... it seems like a good idea but you could just move the c-stick opposite to the direction you are facing and it will jab, i will try and test it out tonight but it seems like a good idea.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I feel like I've been saying things without enough thought/testing, since I have no brawl to test what I'm thinking in my head before posting them down.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
dude its an awesome idea... i was testing it out and you can jab pretty quickly as long as you pay attention to ikes movement before you hit the c-stick again, as long as ike moves his feet just a little you can jab again =] but its hard to do in the middle of a match, what with all the pressure and not paying attention to if ike moved at all.. at least until you get used to it but im sure it will do pretty well but i havent had enough in game testing of it yet =\

metroid1117

Smash Master
Pardon me if there's already been discussion on this (I don't follow up on doubles discussion), but...

has anyone considered teaming Ike with Diddy? DACIT with bananas seem good on paper, but I don't play doubles so I can't really tell.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
not really since the problem is Ike would be tripping on his partners bananas unless you are really careful and don't get in the way of diddy throwing his bananas

metroid1117

Smash Master
not really since the problem is Ike would be tripping on his partners bananas unless you are really careful and don't get in the way of diddy throwing his bananas
That can be resolved by practicing teamwork though; I was wondering if there were any fundamental weaknesses that can be abused by the opposing team on the basis of the characters, not on how well the players are cooperating.

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
I don't really see much benefits in having Diddy as a partner. DACIT will get predictable pretty fast considering the fact that you need a running start to perform it. Not only that, your partner will also be in line for the DACIT unless it's a platform stage and simply abusing Diddy for his bananas is not a great idea. What do you guys think of Ike with Wario?

Palpi

Smash Hero
Wario is a very good doubles partner. Atomsk and Inui did doubles wario against me and Melo at Apex. It was hard. I went MK first round then snake 2nd round.

Both can stock tank, both have decent kill potential.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ike's good doubles partners are characters that can give Ike easy setups into his aerials and smashes, have a good ground game/good against grounded opponents in compliment to Ike's air game, can rack up damage easy, and can handle offstage well after Ike hits them off with his powerful moves.

From my past experience with other characters, basically anything with a very predictable path and sometimes low knockback and enough hitstun Ike can utilize, such as yoshi's grab release, DK's cargo dthrow, Ike's throws, CGs, etc.

Ike is pretty good at ambushing other characters preoccupied with your partner, because his dash attack is actually a lot more useful, and can outrange most of what the opponent will try to react to. He can also stay near the edge while his partner goes for the gimp a lot easier.

Wario is pretty good mainly because he's just a great character in general. He can **** shields and make the match overwhelmingly aerial. He can also rack up damage, and his downthrow can set up for some nasty attacks. The timing for the dthrow and ike is just a tiny bit more strict, though, but other than that, not too many easy setups. Also decent-sub-par gimping/offstage, would take more work. Mostly you both would be doing your own thing most of the match IMO.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Renegade told me he won a 30 something man tourney the other day going all Ike. Good stuff.

Me and Ren are doing double Ike (ike climbers lol) at All Is Brawl doubles ladder.

We're like 11-0 right now, so that's pretty fun.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
Renegade told me he won a 30 something man tourney the other day going all Ike. Good stuff.

Me and Ren are doing double Ike (ike climbers lol) at All Is Brawl doubles ladder.

We're like 11-0 right now, so that's pretty fun.
dude thats the team name Bored and Brett went by when they teamed at PBT! Lmfao thats so funny haha

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
(ike climbers lol)
THIEVES!
That's the name Bored and I used when we teamed (and would probably re-use if we team again). We got second at a weekly under that name.

But, I suppose I'll forgive you, because of your record.

Slaps and I are doing the Game Battles ladder.. we've played ONE game, which we dominated a little bit. When I team with him, our name is LOLFSMASH.

Double Ike is TOO much fun, by the way.
The guys Slaps and I played decided to use a banned stage... Shadow Moses... and we each had them in wallgrabs at one point. I was ROFLing.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I wish we were named Ike Climbers, but we aren't.

Palpi: The jiggs boards and everyone else say girl, so w/e floats your boat o_O.

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I'm in need of a little help if possible. I'm trying to learn how to jab better with Ike, (No not the ridiculous hold A jab) such as to this video/how to perform. First stock on DK around 0:47. I'm not sure if you have to time it right, or change your controller settings... or have your opponent in the air animation. I've tried myself several attempts on different situations but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I CAN keep it going for a little while, but pretty slowly. Anyway, my apologies if this was already discussed somewhere I couldn't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys I'm in need of a little help if possible. I'm trying to learn how to jab better with Ike, (No not the ridiculous hold A jab) such as to this video/how to perform. First stock on DK around 0:47. I'm not sure if you have to time it right, or change your controller settings... or have your opponent in the air animation. I've tried myself several attempts on different situations but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I CAN keep it going for a little while, but pretty slowly. Anyway, my apologies if this was already discussed somewhere I couldn't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.
You do have to time it right, no need to change your controller settings. Just press down at the proper moment. I can't tell you the exact moment, but you just have to get a feel for it. After that, muscle memory will take over.

Ricky

Smash Journeyman
You do have to time it right, no need to change your controller settings. Just press down at the proper moment. I can't tell you the exact moment, but you just have to get a feel for it. After that, muscle memory will take over.
Alright thanks a lot. I only use Ike so information like that is very valid to me. As a step at a time I'm trying to learn all the tricks. So just press down, right? I've seen lot's of people keep up the momentum with jabs like that, however I never see the crouch animation. Nonetheless I'll try it.

Teh Brettster said:
Um. LOL @ that DK in the video against Abyss. 92-130 in only jabs 1 and 2. That's funny.
Lmao, skill and hilarity with Ike at it's finest.

EDIT: Finally learned it, took a bit but I got it. You were right. I noticed if you do it quick enough you won't see him attempting to crouch. :o Just having a bit trouble with the A Jab itself to use it in a constant form. I'm sure I'll learn it though, again thanks.

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Finally learned it, took a bit but I got it. You were right. I noticed if you do it quick enough you won't see him attempting to crouch. :o Just having a bit trouble with the A Jab itself to use it in a constant form. I'm sure I'll learn it though, again thanks.
Thats the main thing. Glad to help.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Oh. No worries, then. =D

And apparently GB has set maps for each match.. nobody picks them. So we just loled out on getting Shadow Moses.

Um. LOL @ that DK in the video against Abyss. 92-130 in only jabs 1 and 2. That's funny.
Laughed out loud out?:laugh: I'm really the last person that should be making fun of peoples grammar.

Lmao, skill and hilarity with Ike at it's finest.
It was really lack of skill on the DK's part. The 12 12 shouldn't have worked and the last part where he jabbed about 5 times shouldn't have gone past 2.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Wow, someone has corrected the grammar Nazi. And it was YOU, too. Dang. I've got to step up my game. =P Yup, I've gotten too used to making fun of "ROFL" and "LOL" and the likes... I've been using them as every part of speech, I swear.

But yeah, the DK could have gotten out of that EASILY. That's why that was funny. I wish everyone did that. Then it would be Ike for high tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom