• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
I was reading the new guide and it said not to use the second jump when trying to QD. Some times I get knocked at near KO %, I always airdodge and jump to momentum cancel and at a distance needed for QD and end up using it. I manage to save myself because this is usually against my brother who isn't really used to edge guarding. How can I avoid this situation (besides not getting hit, having sucky SDI, and trying to space Aether more)?

Heartstring

Smash Legend
basically whenever you get hit, hold up in a diagonal, if its horizontal, airdodge, vertical, fastfall ariel
thats about as simple as i can make ike di

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
@GP: thanks I'll do try to do that often.
So I was screwing around with the shield drop thing. What Niddo said about Shield -> Platform drop -> Jump -> Uair sounds pretty useful, you may have to fastfall it to hit smaller characters. I haven't hit Jiggs with Uair but I did with Nair. So how will this help us is still beyond me, I am still a noob after all.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You shouldn't have to fast fall at all. If you're jumping + uairing right after you drop through the platform, you should have the hitbox out, going through the bottom of the platform. You're not aiming to land back on the platform (though I guess you could), you're aiming to get just high enough to poke through shields, eat spotdodges, and then fall back down to safety if the opponent somehow gets out of the way in time.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Okay so I tried it again on all the platforms on Battlefield. It's much easier to do it on the top platform, but it took me a while to get it once on the other two. My timing is usually off and I find myself jumping earlier than needed.

EDIT: tried it on Yoshi's Island and Smashville as well. In Smashville, the distance from the platform to the stage is enough to be able to Uair without the need to fastfall. In Yoshi's Island, there is enough distance from the platform to the stage when leveled and tilted as far up as possible. Haven't been able to even jump when the platform is tilted as far down as possible.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i cant really see this being amazingly useful, probably for ike, simply as interesting gimmick to throw the opponent off occasionally and afterwards maknig them be more worried about being on a platform with ike.
but it only really has use on yoshis and smashville in terms of neturals,
although thinking about it, it's probably a godsend on rainbow ride when its descending back onto the ship

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
A method to land an early KO is a method to land an early KO. Ike doesn't have many reliable ones, anything would be of help in that department.

Technically, this can be used on any stage not named Final Destination. I believe this can be quite usable, but I don't have any way of testing it out fully.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Hmm, well depending on what habit your opponent is prone to, Ike facing different directions may help as well. For example if you think they'll just hold on their shield, it would be better to face away from them so that the very first part of the hitbox damages their shield, and the last part (which is also behind Ike) pokes under it. Facing away from them is also the best choice for punishing a spot-dodge in place.

The only time you would want to be facing them when you perform it is if you think they will roll to behind where you were. Uair's hitbox in front of Ike doesn't last nearly as long as it does behind him, so that's definitely something to keep in mind.

Otherwise I can definitely see this working if the situation arises, but to be honest I don't actually remember the last time I was standing on a platform with someone else, lol. If my opponent is on a platform and I'm under it, that's where I'm staying, and vise-versa. Jumping onto a platform while they are falling from above is risky because if they get past you they could then shark you.

I think this would be huge on Norfair (if it's legal), because the entire stage is pretty much composed of platforms. Other than that though, it's better for Ike to be grounded beneath the opponent on platforms, so I don't think the situation will present itself very often.

:034:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Hmm, well depending on what habit your opponent is prone to, Ike facing different directions may help as well. For example if you think they'll just hold on their shield, it would be better to face away from them so that the very first part of the hitbox damages their shield, and the last part (which is also behind Ike) pokes under it. Facing away from them is also the best choice for punishing a spot-dodge in place.

The only time you would want to be facing them when you perform it is if you think they will roll to behind where you were. Uair's hitbox in front of Ike doesn't last nearly as long as it does behind him, so that's definitely something to keep in mind.

Otherwise I can definitely see this working if the situation arises, but to be honest I don't actually remember the last time I was standing on a platform with someone else, lol. If my opponent is on a platform and I'm under it, that's where I'm staying, and vise-versa. Jumping onto a platform while they are falling from above is risky because if they get past you they could then shark you.

I think this would be huge on Norfair (if it's legal), because the entire stage is pretty much composed of platforms. Other than that though, it's better for Ike to be grounded beneath the opponent on platforms, so I don't think the situation will present itself very often.

it WOULD work on platforms, but after palying it for the first few tiems in my life (baned in uk lol) i fond out you cant fall through them, onyl go through from the bottom

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
it WOULD work on platforms, but after palying it for the first few tiems in my life (baned in uk lol) i fond out you cant fall through them, onyl go through from the bottom
Wait what? Did you mean Norfair? You can pratfall Norfair's platforms; I've done it many times. :ohwell:

Unless you mean something else?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Nice, it's good to hear from him. I never got to play him online before he left, I wanted to. Hopefully he'll stop by here too if he gets a chance.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
What are some good secondaries for Ike?

You mean to counter his bad match-ups? Meta Knight. Ike arguably has no un-winnable match-ups, and his hardest match-up is against MK, so really the only secondary you can benefit from as an Ike main is a pocket MK. There may be one or two characters who can handle a certain MU better, but MK is the only character that effectively covers all of Ike's bad match-ups.

I just use Ike for everything though, and I'm going to have to duel you for that sign-off.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
other established bad ike matchups are falco and marth.

falcos bad matchups include kirby, ICs and mk,
marths hard matchups, ddd, mk, and dk.

obviously mk covers all the bases.

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
other established bad ike matchups are falco and marth.

falcos bad matchups include kirby, ICs and mk,
marths hard matchups, ddd, mk, and dk.

obviously mk covers all the bases.
Heh, always did want to try out ICs and their awesomeness.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Powershield everything. If he is holding a bomb, he can either z drop it, air dodge and zair you, or throw it so his options are fairly limited, but TL's often trick you with airdodge-> zair. TL's Nair autocancels so they usually do a instant arrow as they land from a nair. TL's zair leads into nair mostly, so if you DI the zair away you could avoid the nair (depending %) and the TL will usually arrow... I think he can instant arrow after a fullhopped boomerang too.

pretty much powershield and be aware of his options...and ban FD prolly.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Yeah FD was the stage most played (this was online with a friend). Every time it came up I was like: "Ugh projectile spam time".
Also about powershielding, does it recover the shield? I was powershielding, most of the time, all of my bro's lazers (Falco) and it ended up breaking.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
And one last question before I sleep: how difficult is it to do retreating Nairs without tiltstick? I was practicing without it and I seemed to have gotten it down, unless the distance I covered was not as much as one done perfectly or something.

Yamato Hong

Smash Apprentice
I'm wondering how the TL MU is. How should I play, what should I avoid, etc.
TL can be quite troublesome. No doubt. -_-

I have faced many TLs as an Ike main myself. You may want to consider TLs D-Smash. It amazingly gimps Ike when near the ledge of a stage, such as Lylat Cruise. I don't think percentages matter, but recovering with Aether will be problematic as TLs D-Smash sends you away horizontally, often diagonally downwards a bit. ^-^

Palpi

Smash Hero
Learn to powershield, Toonlink has limited options.

You have enough time between jumping and buffering a nair to DI backwards. I retreating all the time with smash stick, without ever having trouble doing so.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's not that TL is a bad match up, it's just that he's annoying. We're working more on the defensive end, while they are working more on the offensive end. Whoever gets frustrated first loses the match.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It's not that TL is a bad match up, it's just that he's annoying. We're working more on the defensive end, while they are working more on the offensive end. Whoever gets frustrated first loses the match.
This. I actually enjoy the TL MU to some extent oddly enough. But I'm weird, and also enjoy playing against Sonics and Diddy Kongs.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I enjoy playing against just about any character. I'm used to playing really gay/being played gay against in most games anyways, so I don't mind such tactics, tbqh.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
The d-smash gimp works only until about 35 percent. And San, there's nothing gay about Ike.

BTW, who pranked me?

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
Hey guys. I've been playing Ike for a long while now, but I've finally decided to get just a bit more serious with him. Now, I was looking at the matchup thread and I saw that IC's Vs. Ike is 50-50. Can someone please explain this to me?

I'll probably have more questions later, but this was glaring at me; I had to ask about it.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ike out ranges the ICs in every way, you can jab ice blocks, nair is almost ungrabbable, fair beats blizzard, nana doesnt DI jabs, you can back throw popo and its fast enough to not get punished by nana, and than when nana runs past ike to get back to popo, you can f smash her, she doesnt di it and it kills at like 50. and sopo vs ike is just **** for ike.

but ike still gets grabbed from time to time, so its only a 50-50

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hey guys. I've been playing Ike for a long while now, but I've finally decided to get just a bit more serious with him. Now, I was looking at the matchup thread and I saw that IC's Vs. Ike is 50-50. Can someone please explain this to me?
I personally have very little ICs match-up experience, but it's fairly even because IC's game relies on their grab. Ike can shut them down with spaced FAirs and jabs because of their poor grab range, making it hard for them to get that kill. Also, if Ike gets in a grab on Popo, he can grab attack to knock Nana away, BThrow Popo, and then FTilt or even FSmash Nana and follow up for the easy kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom