• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I've just learned how to switch the OP of a thread. If we really would like to have a new OP for Ashu's who is active and would update it regularly (that's a lot of work keep in mind... plenty of old stuff in there to clean out and new stuff to add), one of you guys has to volunteer to do so.

I will make you the owner of both the first posts of Ashu's and you can begin cleaning out links to old threads and adding links to new ones. Old videos can remain at your discretion but I'd like to get new ones of the new Ike mains up there. Some of the images in Ashu's are way too large and can be removed to de-clutter. Also, I think we should have a section in Ashu's where we link to posts with questions and their best answers here in the thread. This is partly a Q&A thread after all.

Now I'm not saying we should rummage through the whole thread looking for past Q&As, but we should start archiving them in the OP as of now (just links, maybe even in collapse tags, to conserve space in the OP).

Whoever volunteers, I will help you with all of this, and obviously you guys are free to pitch in ideas about how we could use the OP as well, these are just my initial thoughts from brainstorming. I can't do this by myself though, so I need one of you guys to be the main OP so we can both edit it and keep on top of things.

Obviously this all depends on Arturo too, if one of you guys volunteers and is willing to do this, I will send him a message requesting his permission to change OPs. If he decides to stay active and remodel/update the OP himself, that's great, but we'll see how it goes down.

So...

Volunteers?

:034:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
My parents are strict against me on traveling for games (HOBOs were all behind their back). So I doubt it.
don't tell them its for games then ^_^

how do i stop myself getting grabbed by icies, although i tend to pick r.o.b for that matchup (dmash to win) it really is annoying when i cant stop getting grabbed

also, how do i make ike an unpunishable as possible

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
This kid needs to understand that a decent player isn't ******** enough to waste attacks on someone's shield when they're holding an item.

If this moron's strategy were true, Diddy would be undisputed best character in the game by a clear and boundless margin...

Rickerdy, you've fought bad Ikes who don't know strategy in this game. Consider the match-up WITH OUR INPUT, because that's why you came here. If you don't, then GTFO because we're obviously of no use to you and vice versa.
I admit it was wrong of me to throw out a ratio but since no one had posted anything in the Rediscussion, I thought I'd throw some stuff about what I thought of the match up. When did I say I wasn't considering the match up without your input?
This 'kid' knows perfectly well that people won't waste attacks on/will be more careful against people who are shielding and holding an item but mistakes happen and people shield stuff on reaction. If you never throw out any attacks because the person is holding an item in the chance they might shield your attack then you're not going to get anywhere :p If Ike refuses to approach then Peach can camp with her Turnips (although they're not very quick so she'd want to do it around mid range so she can follow up afterwards)

I think I've worded my stuff very badly - I'm not saying Peach can simply pull up a Turnip, sit in her shield all day and hit Ike GG, I mean its a very helpful tactic for Peach to employ and I think its something that will help her win. She obviously has to use other moves aswell and if she just sat their in her shield, Ike could just wait out until her shield got to breaking point or bait the throw and move out of the way/attack later. If playing bad people has clouded my judgement then I'm sorry for getting stuff wrong, I accept its my fault, I can't however see what's so wrong about me saying 'if Ike hits your shield, use a Turnip to punish the lag OoS'

Grab.

10mindsblown
If Ike runs towards Peach to go for a grab she can Glide Toss the Turnip back to reset the position. Then it becomes a guessing game because Ike could Dash Attack her instead which would catch her out
This what I'm trying to get at, Turnips are a big help for Peach onstage because they're a quick OoS option because they don't suffer from shield drop lag and allow Peach to move reasonably quickly along the ground with the help of Glide Tossing and Bone Walking

Again, I apologise for coming off so rudely/unedcated to begin with so I'm asking for a 2nd chance to get another discussion underway. What I said was my view and if its because I've been playing scrubby Ike's that its like that, then I'm sorry about that. Like I said, I don't represent the Peach community, we tend to differ slightly with each other on match ups

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
If you guys want a "quick" fix for Ragna's arms: try switching which one is stiff, which one is lose. I believe that would look better.

I've never played BlazBlue, so I can't comment on how accurate it is, but it looks cool. :D

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think I'm going insane with these poorly made presentations in my class -_-. Power points with huge walls of texts, power points with NO text, horribly misspelled words (imagration), and best of all, no MLA/APA citations. Yay for community college.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Please read this!!!

Okay guys, so here is our situation with Ashu's.

I would like Brett to OP Ashu's, and he has volunteered to, so that we can organize it and keep updating it as new things happen, new videos are released, new questions are asked and answered, etc...

Arturo says he will update the thread with whatever we want, but the thing is, there are a lot of changes I have in mind for it (not the general format but like, things removed, things added). I have nothing against Arturo but my problem is just with his activity level in the boards. He has not been here consistently or even scarcely for many months now.

Plus, it's not a huge thing, but from what I understand he no longer even mains Ike in competition. I would really rather the OP of our central thread be an Ike main who is consistently active on the boards and in the know of everything going on here.

Now, I want you guys to try and stay on topic at least for one page here so we can discuss two things:

1. What changes should be made to Ashu's OP.

2. Who should be the OP of Ashu's from here on out.

Arturo and Brett are not your only choices for the OP, if any of you would like to volunteer yourselves or petition for someone else, go right ahead. If you don't want to make a decision or do not feel comfortable doing so for whatever reason, maybe just give your input on the first issue.

Either way, I would like both of these issues resolved as soon as possible. This is the thread everyone sees and uses when they come in here, and there are three things about the OP that bother me:

- It appears cluttered, mostly with the images
- It has plenty of out-dated links and material
- It is not often referred to

We need to take care of these three things. I will PM Arturo right now so he is aware that we are discussing this and can join in if he likes.

Discuss.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hmm...after much deliberation, I'm thinking of picking up Snake as a secondary to counter some tough match ups (Olimar comes to mind). I like to use Snake in friendlies for reading practice, but I've never considered using him in tourny. Another candidate would be Marth, but I'm kinda bad with him.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
lol there's 8 threads that have been posted in on the last month what exactly is going on here that i need to be aware of? you want me to update the op with new videos of doom and san? The reason i stopped updating it is because there is nothing new to add.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well if brett is willing to take over the thread, then he should be on it, we dont want to force anyone into it though.
as for ashu's, it generally tends to jsut be the social thread on the ike boards, but yes, everything is out of date now and i dont really think to look here for stuff i need to nkow on ike (i actualyl just ask in a post, so its sorta similar)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Hmm...after much deliberation, I'm thinking of picking up Snake as a secondary to counter some tough match ups (Olimar comes to mind). I like to use Snake in friendlies for reading practice, but I've never considered using him in tourny. Another candidate would be Marth, but I'm kinda bad with him.

Olimar still has the advantage on Snake

Oh hi guys I'm back. Fun cruise! Incoming of wall of text of my fun:

Soooooo much FOOD <3 I gained like 5 pounds ._. (I went to the gym on the ship everyday) my favorite events: comedy stand up by some country woman, karaoke, and magic tricks by some Indian guy.

The tours on the Bahamas was nice but the tour on Nassau was just so **** hot I couldn't enjoy it.. It was just looking at forts then a pirate museum.

Took a lot of professional photos on the ship, my family spent like 300 on photos when they cost 20 dollars each :x my favorite one was the one me and my sisters dressed up for the old wild west. I got to be a cowboy :D... Then the guy did a they all point their gun ate picture D:..

I spent my free time i'n my cabin playing The sims 3 and FE6 on my laptop. It's fun playing FE6 on an xbox Controller xD

End wall of text of fun

So guys anything happen outside of the guide and biweekly update?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
lol there's 8 threads that have been posted in on the last month what exactly is going on here that i need to be aware of? you want me to update the op with new videos of doom and san? The reason i stopped updating it is because there is nothing new to add.
There are some new things to add and plenty of out-dated things that can be removed. Another thing we're discussing (or trying to discuss) is what else to use the OP for that could be more useful. A video archive is fine, and so is a directory for other threads. I suggested a Q&A archive section though, perhaps where we link the posts that have the questions and then the posts that respond to them.

If you're going to be active here in the boards and aware of everything that we're discussing and doing outside of Ashu's as well, then that's great as long as you're also willing to regularly update the OP with whatever information we all decide would be a good idea to keep there.

However, if you can't be active here for whatever reason, or if you don't want to spend that much time here/whatever the reason may be, the alternative is one of us (Brett has volunteered and no one has directly objected to him yet) taking over the OP and staying on top of things on a daily basis. Quite frankly I don't want to have to PM you every time something should be added to the OP, we need someone who is active around the boards and willing to make changes. If you can do that, perfect, if not, something else has to be done.

well if brett is willing to take over the thread, then he should be on it, we dont want to force anyone into it though.
as for ashu's, it generally tends to jsut be the social thread on the ike boards, but yes, everything is out of date now and i dont really think to look here for stuff i need to nkow on ike (i actualyl just ask in a post, so its sorta similar)
Thanks for the input. See the fact that nobody mentions/visits the OP is a problem. I notice a lot of other boards have notes in their Q&A threads referring people to the OP before they post. This should be more than just our social thread, because it has been more than that.

So guys anything happen outside of the guide and biweekly update?
Well I guess you could have read my post at the top of this page but not many people seem to be doing that so I can't blame you. >_>

Welcome back though, lol, it's good your trip was fun.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I already said before I wanted a new op for Ashura
Just confirming your opinion hadn't changed I guess. Any thoughts on a Q&A archive for the OP? Or other useful things we could post/link in there?

Sort of directing those questions at everyone.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
what i'm getting from you is that you want to make the boards even more obsolete than they are. You want questions to already be answered instead of getting new people to post in here.

If you have predetermined answers like what should i do against olimar with ike or w/e then nothing ever changes, when someone posts that question in here everyone can input new things that they have discovered since the last time that same question was asked people may have gained more experience maybe realized a new way to stay safe against a character and even developed a frame trap.

Just like here http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=277304 this thread was worth having its own discussion but instead you locked it for no reason at all. If it has it's own thread and other threads like that are created then i would have something to update this with.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
1. I think making the OP simple and clear would be the best way to fix it. Q&A for common questions would be very helpful, and recent videos are also good. A lot of other boards have another thread for videos though, so we can also consider doing that. All the outdated stuff (everything?) should be removed, though we can probably keep one picture to make things pretty :]

2. OP should be someone who is active and can make changes when needed. I don't think they necessarily have to main Ike (though it would be a plus), but they have to at least know the character well and visit Ike boards regularly. They also have to want to do it, of course.

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Olimar still has the advantage on Snake

45:55 isn't much of an advantage. Way better than what Ike has to deal with. Both character boards agree that it's an even match up.

Bored, if you want an advantage on Olimar, work on your marth. It is a pretty easy good MU for marth. Neo does well vs logic.
See previous statement. Also, read my post carefully, I said "Olimar comes to mind", meaning there are other character match ups I would like to address as well. I'm not sure if Marth would be the answer for all of them.

Edit: I definitely do consider Marth an option, but I haven't even played with him yet, so I'm way behind on his game.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
We're not going to have every question ever asked in the OP.

But I'll put links to static answers to questions like "How do I walkoff Dair?" and "What is SDI?" and "How do I jab cancel?" and so on. Advice on playing against other characters should be asked in the thread, of course, because that is something that needs a current answer. And no, this would not make the boards obsolete. It would just make the thread more organized.

And that thread is something that should be asked in Ashu's (Q&A), and the dude said if it belonged in another thread, we should lock it.
So we did, and redirected him to Ashu's.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
what i'm getting from you is that you want to make the boards even more obsolete than they are. You want questions to already be answered instead of getting new people to post in here.

If you have predetermined answers like what should i do against olimar with ike or w/e then nothing ever changes, when someone posts that question in here everyone can input new things that they have discovered since the last time that same question was asked people may have gained more experience maybe realized a new way to stay safe against a character and even developed a frame trap.

Just like here http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=277304 this thread was worth having its own discussion but instead you locked it for no reason at all. If it has it's own thread and other threads like that are created then i would have something to update this with.
Many other boards put previous Q&As in the OP of their Q&A threads, it doesn't discourage new input, it just helps with explanations and may even answer some people's questions without them having to post and potentially derail a different discussion that is currently ongoing.

For example, say someone posts a question about the uses of Ike's Counter. Well, if that had been asked before and a few people gave some nice answers, we can refer to the OP and link them to those answers, as well as give some new input or our own opinions if anything has changed or there is something else to add. It just avoids having to re-explain every detail several times for some of the more common questions.

As for that thread, it wasn't worth making a new thread over. The discussion would have lasted less than a page because we can all easily agree on the outcome. I redirected him to Ashu's and we did discuss that in here, with many people giving their opinions. I'm not against making new threads, just as long as the topic of the thread is something that can be discussed over a good period of time as opposed to a quick survey type deal.

If we decide as a community that we'd like changes to be made (which so far no one has objected and many have agreed), then our two options are for you to become more active in the boards and update Ashu's as regularly as is needed, or to replace the OP with someone who will be more active. It's not like it's a big deal, and if I switch OPs and you later decide to return to the boards I can easily switch it back.

1. I think making the OP simple and clear would be the best way to fix it. Q&A for common questions would be very helpful, and recent videos are also good. A lot of other boards have another thread for videos though, so we can also consider doing that. All the outdated stuff (everything?) should be removed, though we can probably keep one picture to make things pretty :]

2. OP should be someone who is active and can make changes when needed. I don't think they necessarily have to main Ike (though it would be a plus), but they have to at least know the character well and visit Ike boards regularly. They also have to want to do it, of course.
Thank you for the input Foodies. I think the videos work well in Ashu's, and we do have the video critique thread as well; making a new thread just for videos doesn't seem like it would be too necessary. And yah I agree some pictures can stay, at least the one at the top for the introduction, but many are just too large and distracting. I hardly noticed the text my first few times skimming over the first OP to be honest.

WingBr

Smash Cadet

OMG finally someone said it. Don't get me wrong, but this boards is pretty much dead. All we got is is Ashu, and when someone asks something game related here, it get lost between the thousand social discussion posts. I honestly don't get why should we create new topics and why everything should be posted in ashu (again, just to get lost between the social discussion) where most of the time it doesn't get much discussion. People say that this helps to the board don't get cluttered. We have like 8 active topics, it's a long way until it get cluttered. I'm not saying everything should be posted in a new topic, but we need discussion here. I mean, little questions should be posted in ashu, videos should be posted in a video thread, we need our match up discussion back to discuss match up related questions and so on. And remember there is a huge difference between organized and cluttered.

Anyway, just trying to help.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
this boards is pretty much dead ... ... lost between the thousand social discussion posts.
Bit of a contradiction there, lol. And also not true. I would say of all the character boards we are among the best at quickly answering any questions people have. Many people have commented on that.

I would hardly say these boards are dead... very far from it. And activity level has nothing to do with what we're trying to do here. If my criteria for accepting a new thread wasn't clear in my last post, I'll outline it here quickly:

- An OP that clearly states the topic of discussion and initiates the discussion.
- A topic that can be discussed for a good period of time (more than just a few pages).

That's really all I look for. If it's a simple question or something that's just going to inspire short, useless posts and not actual discussion, it gets closed/redirected to Ashu's.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Many other boards put previous Q&As in the OP of their Q&A threads, it doesn't discourage new input, it just helps with explanations and may even answer some people's questions without them having to post and potentially derail a different discussion that is currently ongoing.

For example, say someone posts a question about the uses of Ike's Counter. Well, if that had been asked before and a few people gave some nice answers, we can refer to the OP and link them to those answers, as well as give some new input or our own opinions if anything has changed or there is something else to add. It just avoids having to re-explain every detail several times for some of the more common questions.

As for that thread, it wasn't worth making a new thread over. The discussion would have lasted less than a page because we can all easily agree on the outcome. I redirected him to Ashu's and we did discuss that in here, with many people giving their opinions. I'm not against making new threads, just as long as the topic of the thread is something that can be discussed over a good period of time as opposed to a quick survey type deal.

If we decide as a community that we'd like changes to be made (which so far no one has objected and many have agreed), then our two options are for you to become more active in the boards and update Ashu's as regularly as is needed, or to replace the OP with someone who will be more active. It's not like it's a big deal, and if I switch OPs and you later decide to return to the boards I can easily switch it back.

Thank you for the input Foodies. I think the videos work well in Ashu's, and we do have the video critique thread as well; making a new thread just for videos doesn't seem like it would be too necessary. And yah I agree some pictures can stay, at least the one at the top for the introduction, but many are just too large and distracting. I hardly noticed the text my first few times skimming over the first OP to be honest.

lmao if you control F counter in the op then you will find all the answers you need why don't you take a look at it before you call it useless?

edit: these boards are dead when it comes to metagame discussion is what he meant

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Alright Wing, let's go about it your way okay?

-Noob creates topic about D-air and we answer it-
-A week later, Noob #2 makes a thread asking about jab cancel-
-A week later, Noob #3 makes a thread asking about D-air...wait what?-
-Pretty soon, the first page of topics consist of anything from D-air to D-smash-

The point is not to prevent cluttering, but rather not deal with repetitive garbage. Before we got real strict on this, we would have a thread every other day talking about the stuff that could be asked in Ashu's or found in one of our other threads. We tell them nicely to ask in Ashu's, they do, and then they go on their way. What's so hard about that?

global-wolf

Smash Champion
I think the OP should be updated and cleaned up, at least. I remember the first time I clicked on Ashu's when I joined, all the links were pretty intimidating.

Maybe we could have a separate thread for social discussion? That would help this thread be more organized.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
If every question asked were in a new topic, the board would be an incoherent clusterf*** of new threads and the same threads would be made dozens of times over.
Believe me. Only completely useless threads would be made and they'd all require like 2 posts to answer them, and then we'd have a lingering thread that some dumb first-time posters would go into and say "OMG I WAS WUNDERING HOW TO JAB CANSEL TOOOO."
We've seen it happen over and over again.
Which is why we (want to) keep it organized the way we (want to) do.

And we do get discussion here.
And in several other threads.
Where have you been in the past 6 weeks anyway?

And yah, complain about how THEZE BORDS AR DED (though they really aren't), Mr. 25 posts since April 2009. Nice job preventing it? I don't even know who you are.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Brett, I'm guessing SWF says you can't make a post within 30 seconds, please wait? After you post and it gives you that message, just go back and refresh Ashu's.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
It does exactly that. But I do just what you say and it still makes two posts somehow. Both of my posts I just made happened respectively about 4 and 5 minutes after I made my post.

It'll do that and then it'll 502 when I try to refresh and go back to Ashu's. It's pretty dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom