• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ashunera’s Library - General Discussion, Q&A and Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I'll never understand why exactly though. Do those kind of players get nervous mid-match or something? X_X

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm not sure. I still can't see how you know a lot about the game and not be able to apply it. If you know what to do in certain situations, why not do it? If you can't, something's definitely wrong. Maybe some knowledge is actually lacking, or you're just not thinking through enough, or just lack of experience in brawl.

For lots of peple, I think it's mostly the second, partly the other two It's like studying all day for a test, then you don't do as hot when you actually confront the test lol. You may know what to do, but stuff's just tripping you up. Situations they're not quite experienced in pop up.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Test taking itself is an actual skill that yuou can apply despite or rather wholly independent of your actual knowledge of the subject at hand. I've always been impeccable at test taking despite maybe not studying or keeping up with the material etc etc because logical elimination goes a long way to a lot of exams. Obviously tests that require you to write down specific responses are a whole other deal. 1560 on my SATs because of that, I slept for a majority of my entrance exam to the best high school in new york city and got the highest score from the entrants in my entire junior high class.

Actual knowledge and application can really be 2 different deals. Some people are far better at application but the actual knowledge is what sets them back. This is when people lose because of not knowing a matchup etc etc etc (or like me flat out forgetting about the grab release when fighting quik despite me telling renegade about all of his options against wario no more than a month before). Alternatively application can be a huge problem for a player for various reasons. Lacking tech skill, realizing an opportunity too late, bad timing etc. Pierce is vastly knowledgeable about this game but you can catch him offguard simply on application issues.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
But if that's the case, I guess you're right.
NidtendoFreak needs to abuse that knowledge more.
Part of the problem is that my reaction time is shot. No clue why, but I seriously have a problem reading attacks in time.

Another problem is that all of my knowledge goes out the window during a tournament match. If I watch myself after, I'll be like "I should have done that there, dodge that and countered there, why the heck did I do that?" ect. On this board, I have easily half of Ike's grab releases floating around my head, various pieces of his frame data, most of the MU numbers and basic strategies for each one, a good number of stage choices for each MU, and good mental images of his range and hitboxes. In tournament? It all goes down the drain. Even basic things like "Don't use QD to recover except for very specific situations" I struggle to remember. The only jab cancels I can do are Jab -> and Jab -> Grab. Oddly enough, I can ledge drop -> QD onto the stage as if it was my second nature...or I'll randomly have that knowledge back for a moment and go beast mode like for about 10 seconds, then lose it again.

Even odder is that I can watch another Ike in that very tournament, and keep my knowledge and actually read the opponent. O_o I did that a bit with Brett at FS6. After he lost to a ZSS, I pointed out a few things he could have done, like the obvious Uair that was coming his way that he didn't react to in time. *shrugs*

Lastly: I get nervous REALLY easily. Out of the four tournaments I've been to, twice my hands started freezing up. Once they froze up so badly my fingers curled up and I could barely hold my controller, let alone press multiple buttons. (Ever tried Jumping, shielding, grabbing, and attacking with only one finger on your right hand working at all? It sucks.) The first two tournaments I was stuttering a bit when trying to talk to people. I've felt sick to my stomach before every tournament I've ever gone to.

Hence me being one of the worse Ikes out there when it comes to actually playing, but being up there when it comes to knowledge. *shrugs* It sucks. I think I could be third in SA if I could stop freezing up and forgetting things. ;_;

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
lol'd at Slaps, and who is this comboking guy?
ComboKing used to post on the boards until he got shunned by practically everyone due to his senseless one-line posts. Almost half the time he didn't know wtf he was talking about and ended up getting yelled at by like everyone. I don't even know if he logs on anymore. Not that we care if he does... lol =]

EDIT: Niddo & Captain*(lol) Palpi I wish to play you guys online sometime... Lol'd playing Katie last night on wifi fun matches =]

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
To further my point about me being crappy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP-QQVfI3FA&fmt=18

That's me. In a friendly. Against the guy I'm probably the most at ease playing against. Granted, I was having a bad day Ike wise, but most of the time I don't do much better besides getting at least one stock off.

I'd rather not write out the whole list of places where I messed up. >_>

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Part of the problem is that my reaction time is shot. No clue why, but I seriously have a problem reading attacks in time.

Hence me being one of the worse Ikes out there when it comes to actually playing, but being up there when it comes to knowledge.
In my case I have a tendency of anticipating what my opponents are going to do, but end up freezing up whenever I get to bigger tourneys or playing well known players. I guess I end up focusing more on the scale of competitiveness rather than on the match itself so while I'm lost in thought my hands are on autopilot repeating the same pattern.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Bah, I'm not sure what annoys me more: freezing up or not reading the opponent.

I mean, I can visualize nearly every attack in the game in my head, with a rough approximation of their speed and general range (outside of disjointed attacks that aren't Snake's tilts, but I haven't seen enough times). One of the few ones I can't think of is Ivy's Dtilt. O_o It sucks so badly, nobody uses it, so I can't think of it...IIRC, it's somewhat similar looking to jab, but worse.

But still, you'd think I could read attack with all of that info bouncing around my head. -_-

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, in the end in, it's your problem, and you have to find a way to overcome it. Only thing a person can do for you is just give tips and say the same old same old.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
lol i share your problem nid<3 but it isn't as bad

if a match is ever taken to the last game, i just get too nervous lol
i have slow reaction times,and i fall into the most stupidest things ._.
my worst case a year ago was when i fell into a D3 charging hammer(not his fsmash) and people laughed at me ._.
lol

lawl

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
When shielding it, you can spotdodge the last few hitframes of bair before he lands on the ground, then punish(not entirely sure about this but it should work).
Or just rage and start spamming counter if nothing else works :chuckle:

NO NO NO NO. BAD.

From my limited experience against good G&Ws, it's very hard to approach him safely... I stick to trying to bait them into approaching with Nairs and single jabs.

Don't approach. His shield is pretty much untouchable, he can up-B out of anything or read your approach with a smash. But his smashes can't be used as punishment, just reads and techchases. You have more range, bait his approach.

You have to play really patiently and wait for him to make a mistake... which usually means I lose cause I get too frustrated. If you can figure out how he spaces with Bair, you can try to bait one and punish with a retreating Fair... other than that I don't have enough experience myself to say much else confidently.

Sigh.

G&W's bair stops delivering hitboxes when the head drops in the animation. You can learn the timing inherently without having to watch the head if you practice shielding bairs. At that point, you can just drop shield and jab while the bair is on your shield still.

benaji261!

Smash Ace
Yea I've picked up the timing for GaW's bair attack because of all the GaW's I played using it so much, like Meltdown, Cyan, and others.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
G&W's bair stops delivering hitboxes when the head drops in the animation. You can learn the timing inherently without having to watch the head if you practice shielding bairs. At that point, you can just drop shield and jab while the bair is on your shield still.
I guess that must be that "hole" San heard from you about GnW's bair and that is pretty useful to know, thanks o-o

I don't think most of the Ike mains here like me have that much G&W experience =/

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Don't approach. You have more range, bait his approach.
That's pretty much exactly what I said -.o

Well, we have to assume that a good G&W isn't going to just Bair straight at your shield, something has to be done to provoke that first. I figure if you can bait him to do it anyways it's safer to just retreat an Fair and get that free damage. If you know the timing great, but if not, space it and play safe.

:034:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yea, most G&W I play don't push forward with B-air. Rather, they will B-air the first two or three hits and then retreat away out of Jab range.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
G&W Match-up:

Don't get ****ed by upB.
Space Nair and Fair a lot.
Jab -> Utilt.

There ya go.
Ike does pretty well against G&W and the match-up isn't very complicated. Really. I play UTD Zac and our games are always close.
Unless he 9:smash:s me.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I hate random attacks, I have the worst luck with that crap. I was fighting a DDD the other day and even though he was spamming his Waddle Doos the whole match, the only three that he used when they were guaranteed to hit me came out as Gordos.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
G&W Match-up:

Don't get ****ed by upB.
Space Nair and Fair a lot.
Jab -> Utilt.

There ya go.
Ike does pretty well against G&W and the match-up isn't very complicated. Really. I play UTD Zac and our games are always close.
Zac is known to sandbag in friendlies and MM. He's serious business in tournies though.

CRUSH_

Smash Cadet
Anybody else think it'd be worth the time for us to discuss how to deal with every character's jabs and just the jabs? As opposed to skimming over 30+ matchup threads

Whenever I play somebody who doesn't know how to handle Ike's jab game they're taking 23%+ from one 'combo' of jabs/grabs/pummels/throws/grab releases when they could've gotten out with 12% or less and I don't wanna make that same mistake.

I'm not suggesting anything in depth, just whether or not their jabs reach further or come out faster than ours, what they choose to follow them up with and our options against it.

I'd make the thread myself but people would just jump in like they always do with all their intellectual condescending ***gy sarcastic 'this thread is useless' bull$hit and I don't wanna upset them =P

benaji261!

Smash Ace
Anybody else think it'd be worth the time for us to discuss how to deal with every character's jabs and just the jabs? As opposed to skimming over 30+ matchup threads

Whenever I play somebody who doesn't know how to handle Ike's jab game they're taking 23%+ from one 'combo' of jabs/grabs/pummels/throws/grab releases when they could've gotten out with 12% or less and I don't wanna make that same mistake.

I'm not suggesting anything in depth, just whether or not their jabs reach further or come out faster than ours, what they choose to follow them up with and our options against it.

I'd make the thread myself but people would just jump in like they always do with all their intellectual condescending ***gy sarcastic 'this thread is useless' bull$hit and I don't wanna upset them =P
Kirk will be right with you. XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Man, wtf happen to Mr. Doom? I'm gonna have to start calling him Doom if he doesn't show up in here.

Metroid, I'm calling you out, respond.

I'm testing out my recording device tonight. Will upload some friendlies late night. For those who will be staying up late will get to see my Ike at 30% Awesome. That's enough for your computer to explode.

EDIT:

Here is the first match. Youtube already blocked the sound. I oughta start a fight. Yes, I'm keeping my post count at 666.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDymp8VheTo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRvJAMCQBac

I still need to figure out how to do wide screen and stuffz.

EDIT: Got the wide screen down, now I'm just searching for the best way to put the quality on youtube while not having a file on my comp that takes up my entire harddrive.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
If San and Kimchi are in the loser's finals together doesn't that guarantee them 2nd and 3rd? Or am I doing the math (if that's even what it involves) wrong?

I'm testing out my recording device tonight. Will upload some friendlies late night. For those who will be staying up late will get to see my Ike at 30% Awesome. That's enough for your computer to explode.
I look forward to it. I'll make sure to keep a first-aid kit handy.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Just gotta love that aether dragging Bored.

As for recording, what software do you use to do so, because most of them should have a feature to change the aspect ratio, and then you'd have to adjust your actual wii aspect ratio to match.

Edit: As for your muted audio, take a look at this link
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245495

Too me, it's a bit of work for single matches, but good to know for future videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom