• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A solemn moment for DBR and the Melee Community

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I couldn't say anything that hasn't already been said, really...

Though I do want to point out how much DBR influenced me to get into competitive Smash, which, in all seriousness, has completely changed my life. I've never even met any of you in person, but I feel like I know all of you just from your history in the smash scene.

Hold it together guys :/

M@v

Subarashii!
Glad it turned on this way and not the money disappearing and never being found. Regardless, this is really effed up, and I'm sorry this happened to you guys. Good job handling the situation. Stay strong; you guys will get through it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Trebor called me yesterday to say he was really sorry and doesn't know why he did it. I was already not going to offer any sympathy but after reading how he lied to King and German I really cannot abide any sympathy.
Lol bull****... He knows exactly why he did it, he's just talking out of his *** now. It's just like if someone else killed someone and then he says: "Oh I wasn't myself when I shot him, I don't know what came over me." *Shakes head*

Well anyways, I'm sorry this had to have happened.. I hope you guys are doing ok over there. Great job handling the situation, I'm proud to have met you guys. =)

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Great job handling the entire situation DBR.

Happy the money was recovered. Hope Zelgadis learned something from all this.

The GERM

Smash Ace
Reading all of these posts is really something I can't describe. I sometimes forget why I'm still a part of this community, thank you everyone for reminding us.

Apart from everyone in DBR who handled this situation as maturely as possible, I owe a lot to my girlfriend Zohreh who played a huge role in getting the money back. I honestly don't know if we would have got it back without her, we definitely needed a woman's touch in all of this. It was her idea to ask for their cell phones immediately upon getting to the hotel, cross check their texts, interrogate them all seperately so nobody heard eachother's stories, and she did most of the initial talking with the police. Thanks for everything Zohreh, you should be a cop :)

Lukahn

Smash Apprentice
This community is awsome. Will ever be.

I don't even know Zelgadis or any of DBR member personnaly. I just can say I am sorry for this to have happen to you guys (and girl =D). It however hurts us all as a community. This event was very touching and moved us all. DBR, you did well.

Hope to see you guys rocking again soon.

Mad props to you all.

Renth

Smash Hero
I'm not going to read through 12 pages of others peoples posts but if this hasn't been said.

The community has had a hard time lately with a lot of shady deals and I think everyone should deeply thank DBR not for just hosting genesis but for being straight forward honest and taking care of things when **** hit the fan.

Mad Respect DBR.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Yeah, getting it out there must have been hard for you guys.

You did the right thing though.

GERM, your girlfriend should indeed be a detective.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Props to you guys. You handled the situation well and didn't let personal emotions cloud your choice of action. I probably would've let my anger get the best of me.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Christ on a cracker.

This is godawful. My heart goes out to you guys. I know what it's like to break off a close friendship due to a severe lack of integrity, respect and morality. It is not an easy thing to do, and it's certainly not easy to live with, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

I'm glad this was resolved peacefully. Moreover, I'm glad that you guys were willing to go above and beyond just to make reparations in the event that the money was never recovered. That's a helluva lot of cash to be pooling between the four of you; it's almost sacrificial, like life and limb. And you would do such a thing for a bunch of people that you've met once, twice, maybe thrice? People that you guys may never, ever meet again? Just goes to show that you guys really have a lot of love for this community. It's that kind of love and dedication that really forms the nucleus of this community, and it's the primary reason why I stick around to start with.

You guys have had my respect for a while now, but this kind of thing just deepened it. Good ****, DBR.

Smooth Criminal

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
naw this is some scooby doo **** right here son
scooby doooby zhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

sorry

The tournament prize money will likely change my life
I'm not very good with words, but this stood out to me a lot. Proof that some good came from this. Wish the best for all of DBR / Taj / and the rest of the people who were playing for more than just a good time.

Germs Lady

Smash Cadet
no wonder

I saw the police cars drive into the hotel's parking lot, and Germs Lady saw me looking at the situation outside the hotel room

then later Germs Lady popped out of nowhere right after I said something like "do they know we're in the lobby" to my ssb buddy KniteFox

I probably seemed suspicious for a moment X__X
Yes. What you saw was the police bringing the money back to us. It was in that moment that we were the happiest - received it in hand. Although we were told that Zelgadis had pocketed $200 already. The cops told Zelgadis (Trebor) and his drug dealer friend, Clayton (the dude who stashed the money in his house) to empty whatever they had in their wallets to compensate for the already stolen $200 for which they did. We eneded up $21 short, where SideFX (Boback, replaced it). I didn't want people to know what was going on, so that we could prevent rumors and a damper for grand finals, that's why I jumped in the lobby. I sorta kinda wanted to see what you were talking about ;p

Anywho. All is done and we are saddened, but Zelgadis (Trebor) did this to himself and lying about it after to several people only put salt on the wound. Germ was his closest friend at one point, and now Trebor will never be allowed within a mile from our home or our future. He threw away ten years and several friendships over money. I HATE money.

~GERMs LaDY

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Anywho. All is done and we are saddened, but Zelgadis (Trebor) did this to himself and lying about it after to several people only put salt on the wound. Germ was his closest friend at one point, and now Trebor will never be allowed within a mile from our home or our future. He threw away ten years and several friendships over money. I HATE money.

~GERMs LaDY
With good reason.. Money is evil, it makes people do crazy things. =/

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
this community. . . It's a shame we have people like this. He seemed plesant from every interaction I had with him, and I'm honestly shocked and appalled to hear about this.
I'm sorry the DBR community was stressed with this near-tragedy while running such a massive project. This was a distraction they really didn't need, and a backstabbing on such a large scale at such a pivotal time is stomach-turning. Many thanks to DBR for consistently giving me the best tournament experiences I've had, for doing so despite these setbacks, and for dealing with these issues responsibly and out in the open. This is something the community needed to hear.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
That's pretty surprising, best of luck. Dang Melee, even your founding players are stealing cash, smh, play Brawl imo

:017:

SaberPrime

Smash Journeyman
With good reason.. Money is evil, it makes people do crazy things. =/
Evil is necessary for good to happen, unfortunately...

DBR did an amazing job running the tournament, I'm glad you guys were able to get things settled. I sincerely apologize for not being able to stick around after the tournament to talk with you about Saber Gaming with VTS, it's just that we had a 30 hour drive back to Arkansas and we needed some good sleep before being crammed 7 deep in our vehicle. =(

Germs Lady

Smash Cadet
Reading all of these posts is really something I can't describe. I sometimes forget why I'm still a part of this community, thank you everyone for reminding us.

Apart from everyone in DBR who handled this situation as maturely as possible, I owe a lot to my girlfriend Zohreh who played a huge role in getting the money back. I honestly don't know if we would have got it back without her, we definitely needed a woman's touch in all of this. It was her idea to ask for their cell phones immediately upon getting to the hotel, cross check their texts, interrogate them all seperately so nobody heard eachother's stories, and she did most of the initial talking with the police. Thanks for everything Zohreh, you should be a cop :)
I love you. And yes, my father has told me since I was 15 that I should've been a lawyer. Too good at catching lies. But honestly that was one of the hardest moments of our lives. To know the lies coming out after they were caught and the moment he admitted to it. We will never forget. And I will always remember the Smash community's kindness. I love you all, well...most of you ;p

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Much respect to the members of DBR for handling this situation so well. You guys ran an amazing tournament and are amazing people, you are a blessing to the smash community.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Credit to DBR for holding everything together so well.

If anything, this shows me why I can never miss a DBR tournament in the future.
Take care guys.

Max?

Smash Champion
Great job to DBR for hosting the tournament and taking charge of this situation in such a strong way. It's unfortunate that things like this happen, especially to those who are closest to us, but that is life. I know that if you guys decide to do Genesis 3, I will support it and do everything in my power to come out.

Best of luck to you all.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
I know what it's like to lose such a longtime friend over something as trivial as money. People often forget that tangible objects such as money and tv's are replaceable, but things such as love or friendship cannot be so easily replaced. If you find yourself in a bad situation, just chin up and know that things will work out. There is always another way, you should never resort to stealing (especially from the ones you hold closest).

It was sad for my brother and I when we found out about this. We had finally met Zelgadis and hung out with him. He actually called me so we could go grab a bite with some others and in a strange way, even though he is only human, I felt like one of the most famous people in the world graced me with a phone call.

I hold all of DBR (including the Germs Lady) in the highest respect. Despite the stresses of this weekend (the mugging, the need to give rides at all hours of the day, this situation, etc) they always had smiles on their faces. If I walked up to any of them, I was always greeted with a hug or handshake or high five. You guys could host a tournament in the middle of gangland and I would still go to it knowing that you guys would take care of everyone who attended.

Much respect to you guys and everyone who held it down this weekend.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
It's really sad to hear about this. Like many others, Shined Blind was one of the reasons I got into Smash.

Huge props to DBR for considering the best interests of attendees during the incident. And having the strength to move forward.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
after all the plank references, it reminded me that the first time ive seen plank post on any site, smashboards, facebook, anything, was this past weekend while genesis was happening.

weird...

but yo, big ups to DBR for holding in down like the respected, admirable adults they are. They give other newer smashers good role models to look up to.
I've continued posting and being active on the boards since then... and I have been posting on facebook but I assume you don't see that because we aren't friends. If i'm wrong and somehow we are friends, please let me know your real name so I can be sure to remove you. I've also gone to 5 tournaments or so since Pound....so....good post.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I've continued posting and being active on the boards since then... and I have been posting on facebook but I assume you don't see that because we aren't friends. If i'm wrong and somehow we are friends, please let me know your real name so I can be sure to remove you. I've also gone to 5 tournaments or so since Pound....so....good post.
It sounds like, you jelly?

Frame Perfect

Smash Journeyman
It was then, in between the time that bob$'s girlfriend let Zelgadis enter the room and the time that she stepped into the bathroom, that Zelgadis concocted the brilliant plan of swiping the envelop containing $6,000 from the bed, and exited the room. After informing his friend Clayton of what he had just stolen from his best friends & crew mates, they both returned to Clayton's home in his truck, removed $200 to keep on their persons while stashing the remaining $5800 in their home, then returned to the venue as if nothing had happened.

-King Out
sounds like plank masterminded this operation

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Plank is my boy, stop hatin you salty *** fawks LOL

And you know thinking back, I met Zel at Pound 3, he was tight. This is like a Chris Benoit thing, terrible person in the end but man was he a beast at his craft, lets hope murder isn't in his future tho.

:017:

Zodiac

Smash Master
Damn, respect for DBR and I hope you guys can get through this with minimal pain. But I will not be able to watch shined blind or zelgadis's evolution the same way ever again. Hell I may not even watch them again. Zelgadis's video was a huge breakthrough in fox combo videos. Its just so shocking to hear this, Its shocking for me who has never met zelgadis. I cant imagine how you guys in dbr feel, Once again Im sorry for you guys and I hope you can get through this and be done with it. I would hate to go through that.

Top Bottom