• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A solemn moment for DBR and the Melee Community

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
i half never heard any thing lik this b4 ...i cant believe a brawler would do ths to his own clan ...wow
Woww.... you're not funny at all.. eat a ****.. wow

If you're gonna troll, 1. do it in the right thread and 2. don't suck *** at it ******.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
This isn't a surprise at all. This is normal at nationals because people are dumb as **** in trusting a small amount of people with a ****ton of money.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
That is ****ed up. To the rest of DBR, I wish you the best of luck, you guys are not only great assets in the smash community but you guys flat out great people as well. Take care.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I find this to be really really disappointing.

Six years ago, my friends and I would play smash for fun. We'd smack each other about in ffa on temple for hours.

Then I discovered smashboards and dbr and suddenly everything changed. I wanted to play this game like dbr did. I wanted to waveshine with fox like Zelgadis.

I went to Genesis 1. I got to stand in the same space of players I revered for YEARS. I even got Zelgadis to sign a hat emblazoned with 'Fox' across it. It sits in my living room.

I can't imagine the thought of a close friend doing this to me.

DBR, I'm sorry. And well done for keeping it together.

:phone:

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
I just caught wind of this and I thought I'd like to say that I can't really believe what happened. Considering DBR's reputation and how everyone has seen how close all of you were, I can't help but be in total shock about the whole situation.

A lot of people mention the most recent Pound, but this actually reminds me more of VLS a few years back, where money was also stolen and we all played detectives trying to find out where the money had disappeared to. Unlike you guys, we never truly found the culprit, but we always suspected it was someone whom we trusted, and I'm glad that you guys took the right steps to confirm your suspicions.

Not that the crew is so much alive anymore, but if this had happened during TSA's tournament hosting days with one of my own members, I couldn't imagine how emotional I would have gotten about it.

Life

Smash Hero
So I went and sat through Shined Blind one more time to see if I could do it without crying.

I lost at around 2:30. And I don't even know you people.

Smash is awe inspiring...

The Cape

Smash Master
I can't believe something this sinister and disgusting could happen in the smash community (and continue to happen). I am glad that this information has come to light as it allows the rest of the community a better understanding of the caliber and nature of members of the community and how they may behave and act, its disgusting and it needs to not be tolerated.

I mean seriously, Bob Money has a girlfriend and we just now find out about it? The ****?

Nike.

Smash Hero
I find this to be really really disappointing.

Six years ago, my friends and I would play smash for fun. We'd smack each other about in ffa on temple for hours.

Then I discovered smashboards and dbr and suddenly everything changed. I wanted to play this game like dbr did. I wanted to waveshine with fox like Zelgadis.

I went to Genesis 1. I got to stand in the same space of players I revered for YEARS. I even got Zelgadis to sign a hat emblazoned with 'Fox' across it. It sits in my living room.

I can't imagine the thought of a close friend doing this to me.

DBR, I'm sorry. And well done for keeping it together.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. Zelgadis was a role model to me :(

Zantetsu

Smash Master
This isn't a surprise at all. This is normal at nationals because people are dumb as **** in trusting a small amount of people with a ****ton of money.
Are you kidding me? What else are you going to do? Hire a company to watch the prize money for you? If we didn't trust people with money, then tournaments wouldn't even exist. We're lucky enough to have so many tournaments that go as planned. I don't know why you said that "This is normal at nationals" because, the only national tournaments that have had their money messed with is Pound V and Genesis 2. Since DBR recovered the money, that leaves Pound V as the only national tournament that didn't pay out. For 10 years of Melee, that's actually not too bad.

I really hope you're trolling.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Well played, Cape.

But no, seriously, the reason this kind of **** keeps happening is because crime of opportunity (aka stuff like blatant theft or not paying people back) is becoming more and more viable an option for people who are struggling financially. This **** would likely never go down at tournaments from back before the economy tanked.

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Daam, sorry to hear this, at least it sounds like you guys handled it the best you could.

I've had a similar experience with a really close friend, but instead of almost stealing $6K, he successfully stole about $2K from me, so I know what you guys are going through to some extent.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
This is ridiculous. At least in the end he confessed..

I don't play Melee, and I don't know much about the community; but I think it's great you guys working so hard for the Melee Community. Please keep a positive attitude and stay doing well for the Smash community!

So Fatal

Smash Master
I knew that was gonna happen.

If you really think you've trolled me, you just trolled yourself. Now you brawl players go play or something.
Whats with the brawl hate? You know part of that $6,000 grand was also for brawlers. Anyways, Props to DBR for keeping it cool and escalating the situation to get there money back. Best of luck.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
this sucks, because zelgadis, even know was my ****ing idol :(

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Are you kidding me? What else are you going to do? Hire a company to watch the prize money for you? If we didn't trust people with money, then tournaments wouldn't even exist. We're lucky enough to have so many tournaments that go as planned. I don't know why you said that "This is normal at nationals" because, the only national tournaments that have had their money messed with is Pound V and Genesis 2. Since DBR recovered the money, that leaves Pound V as the only national tournament that didn't pay out. For 10 years of Melee, that's actually not too bad.

I really hope you're trolling.
Referring to brawl moreso than melee.

SNES, Winterfest, Pound V. Once is more than enough.

As far as the money goes; It should be handled better. If they knew Zelgadis has some shady aspects to him, why trust him?

metroid1117

Smash Master
I didn't go to Genesis 2, but I'm so sorry that this, out of all things, had to be going on as the community got together for the biggest, most hyped, and even sacred event of the year. DBR, you guys have been an inspiration for me and this community, and I truly respect you for what you've done and how you handled this situation. Thank you.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
A lot of players wouldn't exist if it weren't for the indelible mark DBR has placed on this community. I know that these actions only reflect one member, and hope that DBR would continue stronger than before should this chaff be separated from the wheat.

[science fair]

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Referring to brawl moreso than melee.

SNES, Winterfest, Pound V. Once is more than enough.

As far as the money goes; It should be handled better. If they knew Zelgadis has some shady aspects to him, why trust him?
I guess the brawl community just sucks then. Either way, yeah, money could be handled better. But that's not what your post said. You said that a small amount of people shouldn't be trusted with a large amount of money. A "Small amount of people" could be anyone, not just DBR. I understand what you mean now, but your other post isn't reflecting this one like it should.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
after all the plank references, it reminded me that the first time ive seen plank post on any site, smashboards, facebook, anything, was this past weekend while genesis was happening.

weird...

but yo, big ups to DBR for holding in down like the respected, admirable adults they are. They give other newer smashers good role models to look up to.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
really sorry to hear this, but glad there are people in this community that are mature enough to know what to do in a situation like this. mad props

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I'll rephrase what I said then:

This is normal as far as brawl nationals goes. (Pound V, Winterfest, SNES)

As far as the money goes, $6000 is much better off in a backpack or a briefcase then a tiny envelope. I'd even invest in a lock of some sort if I was hosting a national.

Sorry about that, I'm used to posting in only brawl threads.

And the brawl community doesn't suck. Plank was a melee player, and the host of SNES is now a convicted felon. I'm not too familiar with winterfest. Nobody's perfect, I guess.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I'll rephrase what I said then:

This is normal as far as brawl nationals goes. (Pound V, Winterfest, SNES)

As far as the money goes, $6000 is much better off in a backpack or a briefcase then a tiny envelope. I'd even invest in a lock of some sort if I was hosting a national.

Sorry about that, I'm used to posting in only brawl threads.

And the brawl community doesn't suck. Plank was a melee player, and the host of SNES is now a convicted felon. I'm not too familiar with winterfest. Nobody's perfect, I guess.
Much better. Don't worry, when you move down to Boliver, you won't visit a brawl thread ever again. We'll make sure of that >: D

Edit: Okay, I'll take back what I said about the brawl community sucking, only because that statement doesn't belong here.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Real talk, it's not about what game it was involved with or which game the player in question played. It's not about Brawl or Melee or "brawl community sucks / melee community sucks".

This is just a really terrible thing for the community as a whole. Not only is it bad for the community, but I can't even imagine how it felt for the best of DBR. That's something no one should go through, to even go through the process of putting someone you've trusted and been friends with for years in a spot that they have to confess to stealing from you.

Anyone who starts up Melee or Brawl hate is an idiot. It's clearly not about that. Petty differences aren't needed. As a community, this is just ridiculous. But DBR handled it well and my thoughts are with you guys for going through that kind of situation.

And great tournament, too. You guys did well.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
It's hard to believe someone you have known for so long would do that and lie to your faces about it.

You did what you had to do though, sorry that you had to go through that.

Shined Blind was the 1st combo video I ever saw here, it was like a fist of high level melee to the face I never recovered from.

Inspirational to say the least.

I wish DBR and the rest involved all the best.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Geeezzzzzz. So much pessimism.

Here is what happened: someone tried to steal money. The people who got stolen from took action, confronted, found out the truth, and got the money back. THAT IS A HUGE ++ POSITIVE FOR THE COMMUNITY.

YOU COULDN'T ASK FOR 1) A BETTER RESPONSE and 2) A BETTER OUTCOME.

Unless most people are still not aware: scumbags in this community (Brawl or Melee) are a dime a dozen. Don't trust anyone.

When it comes to handling money though, at any tournament, the money should always be the SOLE responsibility of a single person so that that person can be held financially responsible for it. When more than one person handles money, then it becomes incredibly hard to keep track of who is responsible for it/who last had it. When only a single person has it, and its his ONLY job, then if it goes missing, ONLY he is to blame. I've had this happen and just fronted the small amount of the money for a local myself, and my conclusion was simple: never ever trust anyone than myself to hold money, and let people know only I was handling the money.

heytallman

CTALL
I am glad you guys managed to get the money back, and that everything is fine. I am also very glad you guys told us this, just shows how honest and straightforward you guys are.

Thanks for the tournament, it was a blast.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
To everyone else:
This doesn't reflect on the rest of DBR at all, or at least shouldn't. Everyone busted their ***** off helping run the tourney, shuttling people to the hotel, and doing everything that needed to be done to have an amazing tourney. Germ even reimbursed the smasher who got robbed.
This is not true, unless there was another smasher that got robbed, not that I would have at all expected anyone to do so, or unless he gave drunk Atomsk $80 to give to me lol.

Anyway, good **** DBR, everything's been said that I wanted to be said so far. Thanks for the awesome tournament.

Edit: I guess I should say that I didn't tell Germ about the robbery. He would have had to have figured out that it happened somehow to even consider reimbursing me.

FireFly

Smash Lord
Wow that was terrible news. Zelgadis was once known as "that amazing Fox player from DBR." DBR really did their best in handling the situation and everything turned out okay in the end. Sorry for all that has happened.

Top Bottom