• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A solemn moment for DBR and the Melee Community

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I just got really sad thinking about those few times I played with Trebor.

DBR, I can't believe how legit you are for handling this, honestly, perfectly. Right down to releasing the information at the right time. If only it didn't come with the immense emotional baggage. Can't even imagine what it feels like.

Thank you guys so much, for all that you do/did.

VANS

Smash Ace
trebor was a good friend and i'm very surprised he did something like that..the most shocking part is that he actually thought he was going to get away with it. thank you DBR for hosting one hell of a tournament <3, and i'm sorry you had to go through such an awful thing.

i'm disappointed in you trebor, i really hope you get help =(

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
It's great that the money was recovered, but that has to be one of the worst ways to lose a close friend. Zelgadis has got a lot of beef, and he probably deserves every bit of it. It does say something though, that he was willing to give the money back, regardless if it was caused by fear, guilt, etc. There's a lot of people that take advantages of situations like that, but there's not a lot of people willing to admit, own up to it, and fix it.

I just hope this event creates a change in his life for the future and for the better. I also hope and pray that within time that DBR and Zelgadis are able to move past this, forgive and recover their friendships even though I'm sure it would never be like the "good ole times."

QTP

The "Sonic" of Diddy Kong
My heart and respect goes out to all of DBR. I'm sincerely sorry for what happened, and for such a distrust of a close friend. Good thing he came clean about the mess, and were able to payout to the entrants. It's a say day in smash for me. :(

:phone:

Allin

Smash Journeyman
My thought's and prays go out to you guys.

Congrats for hosting one of the best tournaments in the Nation/World despite all that was going on!

Truegamer#1

Smash Ace
Not part of the Melee Community as much anymore, but this is sad to me because I remember learning a thing or two from the DBR combo video, Learning Dr. Mario was my main thing back in the day, but also picked up Zelgadis' Fox along the way, and that sucks what happened at Genesis 2.

Much respect to you King for sharing this to the Community...as for Zelgadis???
I don't have much to say to him, but that he was very wrong in what he did & that the community should be very angry with him...

-Ran

Smash Master
Good job peacefully settling the situation. That no doubt took a significant emotional and mental toll on you and your friends. This is a testament to the closeness of your crew.

onski?

Smash Ace
In the last year I've become good friends with Trebor, but since being informed of this on that now Soured-Sunday I have decided to no longer associate with him. My heart goes out to DBR, I could see pain it had caused you guys on that last day and I hope somehow soon this betrayal is cleared from your mind.

My Best, Kelan.
for real, I too have grown close with Trebor recently. through interviewing him for the doc, going over to his house to play friendlies, and seeing him at tournaments, i always thought he was a chill guy. when i found out what happened from Zohreh i was shocked and dumbfounded. then i walked outside the venue and ran right into Trebor trying to return to the tournament. he was spluttering and feverishly piecing together a story that was full of holes and clearly drug-induced (and this is coming from someone who is stoned a majority of the time). German and Boback promptly asked him to leave, and away he went into the dusk.

i primarily feel terrible for DBR, knowing how close Trebor was to them this heinous act is just unforgivable. but i also feel bad for Trebor, seeing his personal life crumble around him is one thing, but now his social life must be equally in shambles. classless, i'm sad to say i wont be returning his calls or texts and should i host another tournament Trebor will not be allowed to attend.

now this makes his interview all that more interesting...

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I'm sorry to hear that this happened. I commend you and the DBR for giving so much to this community, especially for hosting one of most amazing events in my life. Hope to see a Genesis 3 in the near future.

BladeWise

Smash Lord
You guys handled the situation remarkably well. Even with this negative side, G2 was still the greatest tournament ever.

I was also one of the noobs back in the day who watched Shined Blind everyday for months. I tried so hard to get good at waveshining. Even to this day, I can only do 3 in a row, and only to the left. I hope that Trebor finds help.

malva00

Smash Master
no wonder

I saw the police cars drive into the hotel's parking lot, and Germs Lady saw me looking at the situation outside the hotel room

then later Germs Lady popped out of nowhere right after I said something like "do they know we're in the lobby" to my ssb buddy KniteFox

I probably seemed suspicious for a moment X__X

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
What Zelgadis did was definitely terrible, but all I can think of is how astounding and encouraging it is that the DBR managed to resolve this problem, and get that money going where it was supposed to be going. In the past, when something like this has happened, the situation has generally gone completely unresolved, and the feelings of the players who put their hearts into the game have been effectively ignored.

The DBR has shown the kind of hard-nosed dedication to the community that tournament organizers absolutely need, and should be held up as an example for other organizers. You can't just have good planning and business sense (although you do need these things). You also have to be a good person, with a commitment to the right thing.

Bravo.

D

Deleted member

Well, I'm sorry you guys had so much strain at such an inopportune time. Frankly, I think the loss of a close friend is worse than losing out on any one endeavor, but I'm glad you were able to pull it together and come out on top of the problem. You guys are one of the last real crews for this game, and also one of the most iconic and recognized. If anyone was fit to handle something this serious, it's you guys.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Omg....

I can't believe this.....

I looked up to Zelgadis for so many years. I can't believe he would do something like this.....

To all of DBR: I'm so sorry for all of this... tears came to my eyes reading everything posted by you guys in this thread. I'm heartbroken myself... So horrible......

I don't know how to express my feelings about this. It's just so horrible.... I'm so sorry..

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
If it wasn't for Shined Blind, I probably wouldn't be in this community. Sad to see how low Zelgadis has sunk. Major props to all the rest of DBR for pulling things through.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
DBR, you guys are amazing. You guys actually took responsibility and made things right without just shrugging it off and turning your back to the community.

The tournament prize money will likely change my life, and mad props to you guys for your integrity and dedication to making these tournaments the best events possible. I think the WC has been spoiled in having awesome TOs, and I'm glad that you didn't let another "Bananaclown" ruin a great tournament.

SpeedGhost

Smash Cadet
I can't imagine a more difficult and emotional situation. I wasn't there, and I've never met any of you people but huge respect to DBR for keeping things together. I hear it was a first class event all-around and as one of the people watching on the stream I can vouch that the hype was felt thousands of miles away :)

Eggz

Smash Hero
I can't even handle it.

I'm glad it was at least solved to the extent possible, but I feel for you guys and I'm sorry you all had to go through some **** like this. Mad respect for hosting the best tournament of all time even in light of the ultimate greeze.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
If anyone wants to let this incident damage their trust of DBR, stop and read this: i was told by someone that THEY TOOK MONEY OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKETS to pay the winners their bonuses while they were trying to retrieve the money from Zelgadis.

Thanks for hosting a great tournament, guys. On top of all the hell you had to deal with with the event itself, you had to deal with this BS and even put your own money on the line to make sure the winners got what they deserved.
DAMN

good ****

+respect

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
the host of SNES is now a convicted felon
John Keough wasn't the "host."
He was a person who was assisting the store (Game Universe) to run Game Unicon - which held SNES, mostly with finances. He made many promises that the owners of the store had no reason to doubt. I met the person who did all this on more than one occasion (He'd sell energy drinks at the tournaments I ran), and it was a total shock what this person did. Please try to get it correct when you say things like that; read up

Sky`

Smash Lord
I must have read both King and Germ's post 10 times and I teared up each time.

I can't say I haven't done my fair share of pernicious deeds, but nothing like this. I don't want everybody to hate Trebor forever, but I feel like that ship has sailed. It's bad enough that he's probably going to be excommunicated from the community, now he's gotta deal with charges and guilt...

I've been in melee since 03/04, and I've known ABOUT Zelgadis for a while. The dude who made shined blind. We knew each other better as time went on. But I'm not going to claim to know him better than anybody actually actively involved in the melee community.

I feel sorry for him. His drug abuse is pretty much exposed, and now his social life is pretty much over and his clean record has just been spotted... When you're in a pinch, or a fatal situation, the anxiety can make you do crazy things...

But words can't express how I feel for DBR and the Melee community.

I was wondering why you were so heart broken on Saturday King, I really wanted to talk to you to see what was up but you didn't seem to want to talk to anybody except that lady. Sorry I couldn't be there for ya, I tried.

You guys hid it perfectly. Nobody knew, and there was no gossip, at least on the Brawl side of things. You took a deep breath and you continued running the tournament. Thanks for keeping that amazing event going.

This won't mean much, but if there's anything I can do to help ya out, let me know.

Hit me up on Aim: Iceninjasky
Email: Gregidot@gmail.com
Or Text: 4088437088

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
Well, this is very sad. Even though I don't know any member of the DBR personnaly, Germ's and King's posts are very moving.

A lot of people already said this, but all my support goes to DBR. I hope that what happened will not alter your love for the game, or your will to organize amazing tournaments in the future.

Armada

Smash Lord
I don´t understand how he could doing this to you guys.

I hate when people are doing this kind of ****.
But it´s amazing how perfect the rest of you handle this situation and made this to the best tournament ever ( at least in my eyes).

Both Genesis have been amazing and it would be so amazing if you make a new tournament cause all of you in DBR is awesome <3

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Shined blind is the reason i found the competetive smash community. That was about 6 years ago. This is so disappointing. Good stuff to the rest of you,for handling this so well.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Zelgadis was one of the reasons I got into the game... I watched his videos and attempted to learn his tricks.

It really makes me sad to read this.

Thank you DBR for hosting the best tournament. It had it's couple of setbacks, but they were so well covered that you guys made it all run smooth in the end.

Please don't let this discourage you too much.

Cherished Doll

Smash Master
Woowww reading this made me cry.
I'm so sorry you guys had to go through this being betrayed is the worst feeling ever. Especially when you have known that person for such a long time. I'm glad you kept your heads up and were willing to give money out of your own pockets to the winners. I'm glad I know such an amazing group of ppl. I respect all of you so much.
thank you for hosting such an amazing tournament I am so glad I was able to attended...
German I am extremely sorry you lost an old friend. It was for the best.
Thank you so much and keep being an amazing group of ppl

DBR+GermsLady=FTW<3

Jash

Smash Lord
This is probably the most terrible thing I've heard in the history of this community, I would be NOTHING without DBR, absolute pure worthless trash in this community. I love DBR to death, you guys are always an inspiration to me no matter what.

Zelgadis, I just wish you could have asked your crew mates for help instead betraying them and losing a really long relationship you had with people who care for you man.

I know this is none of my business but you guys have taught me everything step by step, you helped me build my legacy and if it's my time to show support, then you guys got it! I really hope everything goes well with you guys and I'm really sorry that something like this could ever happen. DBR will always be everything to me in this community and I promise you that will never change.

The Legendary Jash

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
This is really sad to see a friend who was maybe at one time a good guy to do this to DBR and I hope for the best for DBR and thank them for hosting this.

NeutralDamage

Smash Journeyman
Is Zelgadis banned for future tournaments? I wanna hear what zelgadis has to say before making the last judgment. Basing judgment solely on the story of the other side is never objective.

Vegard

Smash Lord
Is Zelgadis banned for future tournaments? I wanna hear what zelgadis has to say before making the last judgment. Basing judgment solely on the story of the other side is never objective.
when the police was involved i think it's fair to say there's no doubt in this situation at all whatsoever lol

Mizar

Smash Ace
I wish all of the DBR crew best of luck and mad props for handling the situation.

If anything this would only encourage me more to go to the next Genesis.
Don't let this get you down guys, no matter how hard it is.

finalcloud13

Smash Apprentice
Man, what a ******. Good job on alerting everyone about this deceitful scum. Money don't come by that easy son, earn it yourself you a.s.s.h.o.l.e.

Milos

Smash Lord
We all knew from the very beginning that he stole the money. I even told him as I was on the verge of tears, that if he had the money, I could make it look as if I had found it and nobody would ever know. That is when he looked at my tear filled eyes and swore on his deceased mother that he did not take the money.

-GERM
i dead *** cried reading this and i dont know any of these people. apart from being a very moving story, this is very well-written lol

Top Bottom