• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
So This Character.

Zero Suit Samus.

Something like "clicked" with me when I was playing her a few days ago.

So I decided to pick her up.

So Questions:

What are some basics and No-Nos that a lot of starting Zoot Soots do?

I heard from different places that nair doesn't stale, but conflicting statements on wether or not it unstales other moves, clarifcation please?

When the **** do I dsmash? :< I literally have no idea how to set-up this move.

Thanks in advance, I might post a vid or two in the critique thread in a week or so.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
DSmash to punish large lag. Spot dodges with a charge perhaps, and edge guarding. Beyond that it's for reads.

DON'T FSMASH.

Don't expect to hit with SideB, use it to space.

As for Nair, that's for someone else to answer.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
welp no fsmash is a no brainer.

All I know is.

SideB is a spacer.

dtilt is amazing.

Pivot rolling is ****

back roll sucks.

Dash attack is legit [it can even cross-up <3]

uptilt is bad out in the open.

grab only when you KNOW you'll get it.

DownB invincibility rocks.

jab is really funny for interupting people.

I have no idea what to do after a dsmash other then bair or grab :<

anything else?

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Nair doesn't enter your stale moves queue at all. So it doesn't stale, nor does it contribute to the un-staling of other moves.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Yess another Cali convert haha

In my experience the easiest way to set up for dsmash, or most smashes really, are those awkward moves that put you in hitstun but still pretty close to the opponent. Think falcos dair, how many times have you seen SK land charged fsmashes out of dairing a grounded opponent.

ZSS's moves that work well for that are dtilt, dash attack, and uair (backside at higher %)

People are scared of our airgame so that can usually lead to either excessive airdodging or wild laggy dairs (depending on the character and the player). Those are both punishable with dsmash

solecalibur

Smash Master
be careful of jabs btw they can PS the 3rd hit (im sure you know) so the mind game of the 3rd jab comes into place =3

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
The only good thing about her forward smash is that it doesn't have hitlag once it hits someone. I've been doing a bit of research for uses with attacks that have no hitlag ever since I watched that video proving that you can't SDI while inside of Meta Knights tornado.

...it's impossible to SDI, that's it.
Her forward smash has no other uses.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
well if it has no hitlag it can be useful when fighting around the CS plats. I've been air camping at the top of that transformation because the statues make side b and dash attack soooo punishable

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
After a stun maybe. I did notice something. Considering which part of the forward smash you hit them with, it changes rather they go upward at an angle or horizontal. I'm assuming that's the case because I've hit them horizontally numerous times - and since they can't SDI to influence which way they're being hit... yeah. It could prove pretty useful if we can find a way to guarantee that they're knocked horizontally. That'll place characters at a REALLY bad position to recover, if they even do.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I say priority knowing this, and hoping people won't nitpick and understand what I'm talking about. Clearly, I was wrong to have such faith in the ZSS community :p

To me dair seems to have the same hitbox as GaW's dair, though it's probly not as disjointed

solecalibur

Smash Master
It probly is its just bad to use since we dont have an UpB to make it viable (like more downairs expect sonics)

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
I think it's useful if you are trying to get out of a juggle, the stall fall is hard for a lot of characters to beat vertically, though of course it can be outspaced pretty easily horizontally

Zero

Smash Hero
Eh, dair is pretty beatable by everyone with a good uair, if they're paying attention. You gotta mix it up with airdodges to make it viable. Certainly not as spammable as Sonic's or GnW's.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I played a Snake the other day.
I was above him in the air, in Down+b State.

He threw a grenade upwards at me, and then it looked like I Flipstooled the grenade.
Can her Flipjump do this, or did Snakes Hitbox(body) grew taller as he threw the grenade?
I'm too lazy to test it, but I figured you guys should know.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yeah, she can flipstool off of any character or item; moving or not. Turnips, grenades, bombs, armor pieces, bananas... and MAYBE Wario's Bike + Tires, but I haven't really had the opportunity to use it on those.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
No, flipstooling doesn't have to affect any character or item. There's a normal footstool and a featherstool. The character you jump on during a feather stool animation isn't affected by it, almost like you never touched them. Footstooling, yes, they are affected. There's no such thing as footstooling an item normally, so it doesn't change their falling animation. It registers as a featherstool, basically- 'cause of her flipjump properties.

ZSS's down+B can do both of those depending on when you click the jump button. Also, if they're hanging on a ledge and have invincibility frames, you can still flipstool off of them.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Ah. Was curious, just to know.

No idea how I would have used the information, since I rarely even find chances to flipstool items anyway. Waddles probably can't be flipstooled can they?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yeah, it wouldn't hurt. But you'd be approaching D3 at a really awkward rate. It could place you at a disadvantage just as easily as it could him; if he's expecting it (which he'd have time to predict it due to the down+B start-up flip).

Still worth looking into.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I must be blind -- I can't find data on Zamus' Jump.
How many frames does it take before we can insert a command after we jump?
4 ?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ah, ok.. So a rising SH Uair takes 9 frames.
Does anyone know if that's fast enough to garantuee Dash Attack -> SH Uair at around 50%?

I've been landing a lot of those one a Wario lately, but I'm not sure if it's garantueed.

Way sexier than Dash Attack -> Utilt imo.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I actually hate dash attack -> utilt. The only time I do that is on Marth when he gets knocked offstage (on battlefield/smashville) because of the whole stage spike effect. lol

Dash attack -> Dtilt is better IMO.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Ah, ok.. So a rising SH Uair takes 9 frames.
Does anyone know if that's fast enough to garantuee Dash Attack -> SH Uair at around 50%?

I've been landing a lot of those one a Wario lately, but I'm not sure if it's garantueed.

Way sexier than Dash Attack -> Utilt imo.
It doesn't work. The attack has to be six frames or slower in order to combo from a dash attack at mid percents. The only things that are guarnateed are jab, utilt, dtilt, ftilt, and dash attack. At high percents things might be different. I'll test it.

Edit: This is actually seemingly confirmed and I'm really surprised. After dash attack lock percents (when dash attack sends them into a tumble, see Marth at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pItF4Sa5NHY#t=1m23s ) but the dash attack still connects if they don't DI, you have 8 or 9 frames of hitstun to work with instead of 6. If they DI up (and aren't too highly damaged) you can uair them.

It should be noted that air dodges and second jumps (I believe) have variable start times, so on Peach or Marth for instance, you could combo into other things like back air or forward air, since their air dodge takes a longer time to start.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
That's when I usually is able to Uair Wario out of DA. Over 60% somewhere.
If they tech or airdodge the DA, I find Uair to be able to catch them in those like 2 frames of tech-lag/landing-lag.

I tried it on Marth without DI+no reactions, and like you said, it didn't work.
But on Wario (and possibly most "fat" characters) it works without them DI'ing neutrally+no reactions.

Maybe this is great Vs DK/Bowser/D3.

But then again, if the opponent doesn't DI corrently + react, isn't it almost ALWAYS a better option to Dsmash?

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Also, must we be 6 frames or quicker when following up a DAL against all characters, or is it like 90% of the roster that we have 6 frames on?

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
So I've been wondering. I haven't been keeping up with ZSS for awhile, but is that "infinite" on Rob really an infinite? I remember testing it awhile ago and he could buffer a normal get up before the dsmash could get off. I might have been doing it too slow though. So yeah..is it really an infinite?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Could work as a mix-up, if the MK is positive you're gonna go for a garantueed Dashgrab or DA.

Top Bottom