• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

Zero

Smash Hero
Yeah they pretty much have to be not holding the controller to get hit by it, considering they'd be on the ground and able to shield it.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
Hey Zss boards I got a quick questions I main Marth but secondary her I just need help with my Zss recover I completely suck at it so can you guys please give me some tips on this. Thank you.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Watch vids of other ZSS and learn the mix ups. Always save your second jump.

Play me at the next tourney I go to, since we're in the same state, and I'll try to help you out some.

solecalibur

Smash Master
It takes quiet a bit of practice, I normally use my Down B first then my 2nd jump IF needed
but practice practice and remember you CAN recover with her 9 times out of 10 that you probly get gimped with her (her forward b also is more reliable then her up b when recovering)

Zero

Smash Hero
There are a few tricks you can use to scare people off the ledge if you have no jump or downB, but it requires you to be coming up from a height.

If they're already on the ledge when you're up high, side b them!

If they're already on the ledge and you're almost parallel with them, use neutral b.

If they're on the ledge still when you're underneath them or below parallel, you're probably dead. You want to either hit them off, or scare them off.

The nB works good against most characters. Excepting Marth only, really.

freeshooterxigbar2

Smash Apprentice
I was just wondering if this was discovered already. You can do the down special attack off a ledge to cancel the end lag of it which is pretty useful for edgegaurding and combos. You can do a move right after it, jump, or do another down special and other things of coarse. I just wanted to know if it was known or not and if it wasnt then I guess it's a new AT.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
ok, im not that great with frame data so i would like to ask you guys this. So im play a peach right? They Dair my shield (while doing her floating thingy) and then dairs it again. Is it possible to punish between dairs with uptilt or OoS upair?

Also, if the peach dairs your shield and stops floating near the end of the dair and nairs you while falling to the ground; is there anything we can do to punish in between the dair and the falling nair.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I'm a marth main and I hate fighting DDD/Metaknight.

My friend who mains ZSS splooges every time he plays against DDD and I'm told that it's a close matchup against metaknight. Would anyone recommend me picking her up as a secondary?

Dakpo

Smash Lord
nike, honestly i wouldnt. If you want to fight against those tough match ups just use marth. Zss has a huge learning curve and your match up with MK should be about the same.
If you want a DDD/mk counter might as well pick up IC

Zero

Smash Hero
IMO it's really matchup specific.

Best stages are most often Battlefield, Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise. However you really have to learn Smashville.

Worst stage is definitely MU dependant. She doesn't like Japes against certain characters, she doesn't like Halberd against certain characters but she loves it against some others. FD can be fantastic or an auto-lose. Even BF, Brinstar and RC can be bad.

IDK, it's all down to preference + experience I guess. No easy every-matchup stage.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I love when people say RC is out best stage.
It's not a good ZSS level.
It's just a terrible most other characters level.

Zero

Smash Hero
um, Auspher you play Wolf right?

IMO we'd strike Yoshi's and ban FD.

I forgot you play with 5 stages. But yeah, isn't Yoshi's the **** for Wolf?

Turazrok

Smash Master
My olimar got ***** by ZSS' dash attack far away and jab close up. How do I beat it?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Don't get hit by dash attack? If you're on the ground walling with fsmash and pivot grabs she can't get in very easily. Once you're hit with a DA it's really easy to do DA>jab>DA until olimar is off the stage for edge guarding.

Zero

Smash Hero
ONE

0:07 - wtf? lol

Learn how to instant catch + instant toss items on the ground. Especially for this matchup, but it's just incredibly useful for your piece game.

0:51 - Why do you getup attack? Jumping back and FFing onto stage is a much faster option and covers more options against a recovering Diddy.

Fast fall to the stage more often.

1:29 - Work on your hitconfirming, you could have gotten a second dsmash easily. Also the optimal dsmash combo is dsmash x 2 > fair, for 39~%.

1:32 - Don't side B when they're approaching and you're stationary. It's asking to get hit out of it.

1:35 - Try to go for the edge when recovering. Seriously.

1:45 - bair???

2:53 - dsmash out of dash attack does not work at < 60%.

3:46 - 4x trip.

You backroll way too much. Try short hopping away, or SH uairing away.

You tend to double jump when it's really unnecessary and you're losing opportunities to punish because of it.

TWO

1:09 - You could have edgeguarded Diddy easily, if you had simply left your tether dangling, and retracted when you heard the Diddy release his upB. You get extra invincibility from it and you would have either gimped him, or put him in a position to punish.

The roll edgeguard does not work. This is not Melee.

Try landing with nair instead of fair. Autocancelling is always desirable and it's a very good shield pressure and combo starter move.

1:20 - Work on your dsmash.

Try to fast fall your aerial approaches.

Practice your nair spacing in training mode. Make it pixel perfect so that you don't miss your opponent, but you're not so close as to get shieldgrabbed. Nair is amazing when used right.

2:33 - jump on stage sideB is generally a very bad option.

THREE

0:59 - dsmash out of shield? try dtilt.

3:37 - fair onto stage is also generally a bad idea. You want to either uair them to get rid of their pressure, downB off their head to get away, downB kick them if they don't want to shield, jump FF airdodge, paralyser downB kick, sideB off stage, or jump off mixup.

I think your ZSS needs a little work. Your bair spacing is generally nice, but you do some weird, not-optimal things. You also make some bad decisions with sideB and usmash use. You also very rarely use dtilt, which is weird because it's one of our best moves. Try empty shorthop dtilt. Safe, profitable and mixup-able.

Zero

Smash Hero
Oh, another bit of advice that I tested just then.

Don't use bair to momentum cancel. It starts slower and ends later than uair. Use uair.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
What can we hit MK with if we buffer a run out of a grab release then buffer an aerial out of a SH? I've managed to hit with an Fair combo, Uair, and front side Bair. The Bair is extremely hard and I'm not sure whether or not he could've Uair'd or AD'd. Can someone test it? The buffered run I'm talking about is when you hold forward then hit the C stick up or down. It makes landing a Uair way easier than Red Halberd's method. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3QPcEPqJ7o

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
can you explain the buffered run more? Are you talkin about a buffered dash attack?
No. You go right into a run. I think you have to input the C stick up or down at the end or right after buffer window. And make sure to hold forward, rather than tapping it. I don't think this is anything new, but I don't think anyone has ever applied it to the grab release.

Edit: The timing is kind of weird from a grab release. Try doing her F tilt and holding forward, then hitting the C stick up or down right as it's finishing. If you do it too late, you'll D smash. If you do it too early, you'll just stand there or start to walk.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
that actually sounds incredibly useful. Ive always felt that the difficulty of timing the grab releases limited us from abusing them fully, but this would eliminate that barrier. If I could actually do the guaranteed uair on Olimar, holy **** that matchup would be easier

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
This looks like it allows you to run farther, because you dash at the earliest possible frame. Looking at Olimar's grab release animation, he appears to be helpless until a little after he starts descending. Fair2 hits him. Bair looks like it can hit him too.

@Ramses It lets you run immediately just by holding forward and pressing it up or down. It comes out faster too, since you're buffering it.

Top Bottom