• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
So it makes you buffer a run while holding side ways instead of buffering a walk, somehow. Well that's stupidly good, we probably have the best options out of GR (besides bowser luls) of anyone in the cast, but they're so hard to time that they haven't been practical before.

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
I lied. You buffer a DASH, but ZSS's dash transitions into a run so quickly it doesn't really matter much, unless you're trying to RAR immediately.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
DA, Walk up shield, Arial approach, and more.
But straight forward approaching isn't really the thing, lol.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
approaching with your back should be your main approach IMO. You have bair, airdodge behind them, DI away to reset, paralyzer B reversal away, jump away etc. Know your bair frame advantage so you know if your opponent can punish it (most characters cannot).

After that, nair is also a decent approach. It's disjointed which is a very good asset, but its frame advantage isn't as good as bair. It combos if you do land it. However, usually in my experience, your SH aerial approaches are too slow to hit someone by themselves. You're looking to read what they do after they shield the aerial usually.

So for example if I see my opponent likes to shield grab a lot, and their name isn't DDD or olimar, I know that if I space a nair well, they're likely to try and shield grab, and will whiff. So I'm going to nair their shield and dsmash after. There are plenty of examples like this, but frame data is how you can understand what should or shouldn't work.

I also find dash mixups are somewhat effective. Out of a dash, your main options are side b, nB, jump away, jump over their head, roll behind, shield, spot dodge, dash attack, and grab. You just have to figure out what your opponent is doing to stop your attacks from hitting them, and then choose options that either beat that option or push your opponent to use other options

Dakpo

Smash Lord
i hate approaching with back air.... i love not to stale it, so i can kill almost everything at 130%
its good to do that at the start of a stock when you have so long to refresh it. but....

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Meh I just let the kills happen. I usually end up killing with fair or side b it seems. It's far and away her best approach, too good of a move not to be abused IMO. But this is coming from someone who uses Snake's utilt to stuff approaches and kills with bair/uair :awesome:

And I think that the nB mixup is essential for our approach game, I'm amazed more people don't use it yet.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Meh I just let the kills happen. I usually end up killing with fair or side b it seems. It's far and away her best approach, too good of a move not to be abused IMO. But this is coming from someone who uses Snake's utilt to stuff approaches and kills with bair/uair :awesome:

And I think that the nB mixup is essential for our approach game, I'm amazed more people don't use it yet.
I don't use it because I never learned it LOL

Also who saw me sandbagging on livestream :D

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
About the Dsmash > Footstool > Ledgegrab, when I footstool, I always get full jump height. Can you cancel it using double jump right after footstooling or something?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Edit: nevermind see below

It's also good to note that Olimar's dash grab seems to really decrease its range, while pivot grab has just as much range as (if not more than) his standing grab. I don't think ZSS's grab range changes at all from the three different grabs, her pivot grab actually might be a little shorter

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
Olimar's Blue Pikmin is the longest grab in the game. His White Pikmin is second and ZSS is tied for third with his Red Pikmin. They're all extremely close, though.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Do you guys do any training mode grinding exercises?

somewhat akin to grinding BnBs, Oki set-ups and whatnot in other fighting games in brawl but instead of training mode you either have a modded training mode so its like normal brawl, or you play with infinate time because vanilla training mode is not like normal brawl AT ALL. [that and smash training modes generally suck in comparison with other training modes, but I don't wanna get into that].

copy and paste in three threads for your convenience/post count/just because I really kinda want a good answer for this question.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
Hi! I'm completely noob with Zamus, but I wondered:
I saw a really good Samus tricking me with a tether recovery cancelled (he pressed down right after the tether touched the ledge), double jumped and neutral B me to the face.
Do you think a tether cancel can be an useful trick with Zss? I didn't see any topic talking about that, but I still wondered...

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Hi! I'm completely noob with Zamus, but I wondered:
I saw a really good Samus tricking me with a tether recovery cancelled (he pressed down right after the tether touched the ledge), double jumped and neutral B me to the face.
Do you think a tether cancel can be an useful trick with Zss? I didn't see any topic talking about that, but I still wondered...
The only problem with it, is that if you mess it up, or your opponent hits you out of your "trick", you probably die.

Coney

Smash Master
how safe is bair on shield?

zero suit fits my style nearly exactly and i'm trying to pick her up

btw not having a reliable jab is ****ing annoying as hell, if she had a guaranteed jab3 i'd love her so much more

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Yeah the only real solid punish I an think of on bair is MK shuttle loop invincibling through it like he can against every non-superdisjointed aerial ever.

Bair is -8 on shield with very good range (better range than marth's fair from my anecdotal experience), so yeah nearly unpunishable

SFP recently made a thread about who jab works on. You should memorize it, having jab work gives us a pretty solid close range game honestly.

Against people it doesn't work on you're relying more on jab mixups (jab1 to pivot grab behind them or pivot grab away are surprisingly decent), dtilt to space, dsmash's amazing advantage on shield, and grab (in my experience) for your ground game.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
how safe is bair on shield?

zero suit fits my style nearly exactly and i'm trying to pick her up

btw not having a reliable jab is ****ing annoying as hell, if she had a guaranteed jab3 i'd love her so much more
It's fairly safe if you retreat it. Not as safe as I'd like.

It can be shieldgrabbed when spaced improperly, if properly spaced, however, it's unpunishable.
Other OOS options are more scary than grab...

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Well yeah I'm assuming landing. Marth's fair is punishable if he does it rising, as is MK's fair. I can't really think of an aerial that isn't punishable on rising honestly, though im sure there are some. Lucas's nair, Wario's SH dair maybe, I duno its frame data

That obviously has holes in it as an approach because of the amount of airtime we have on our SH before landing. But a land canceled bair is extremely safe if spaced even somewhat well

Coney

Smash Master
she's a lot of fun and i'm doing pretty well with her so far though

how's the wolf/zss matchup though? i got utterly stomped by seagull rofl it feels so yucky

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
she's a lot of fun and i'm doing pretty well with her so far though

how's the wolf/zss matchup though? i got utterly stomped by seagull rofl it feels so yucky
Fthrow Chaingrab him at 0%.

Dsmash at the ledge catches his Wolf Flash a lot, while he's recovering,
since it doesn't always stick to the ledge instantly.

Try to read his Bairs and counter with a Bair of you own.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Coney it's actually really even in my experience, but every ZSS I've seen gets stomped their first couple times playing the matchup.

As for credentials, I played with Choice all summer. I've played AC's wolf a couple times. There are also quite a few lesser Wolf mains in norcal so I feel like I had a pretty good feel for the matchup. The matchup is tricky though and I can't really think of an easy way to explain it. Any specific questions?

Top Bottom