• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Questions & Answers

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
No they are pretty much useless, and will usually do nothing other than possibly have you punished. Playing against top players that know the match up shows how true this is.

They do have their occasional use, but only as a mix up, and even then they are pretty situational.

You'll get predictable with an aerial based game? You certainly will, and it's been very difficult for me. Me, Dazwa, and RareTruffle all didn't do so spectacular at SNES and Dazwa sounds almost ready to quit the character :(. I'm not giving up on ZSS just yet, but things aren't looking nearly as good as they used to. We need to come up with something...

Oh, and I don't really have anything to upload with, and I'm not so savy on how to do it.
There's a thread in general video, or something, where you can give this person replays, and they'll record it and put send it to you.

Snakeee

Smash Master
There's a thread in general video, or something, where you can give this person replays, and they'll record it and put send it to you.
Oh thanks, maybe I'll look into that.
Who did you guys lose to at SNES?
I lost to Reflex, and my brother (surprise surprise -_-). Truffle didn't make it out of pools, he had a tough one, and Dazwa lost to Culex and I don't know who else. I played Culex in bracket and won by the skin of my teeth. He's insanely good and counterpicks everyone. He mostly used Falco on me, and I assume he did the same against Dazwa so I'm not surprised he lost to him at all.
It's funny bc I haven't heard of him before.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I too find that d-smash and paralyzer are p. useless, except in a few matchups, but over B can be a good tool for punishing trips and its existant stops ppl from doing some ****, such as random MK up-Bs, not to say his nado still doesn't ****.

But yeah ZSS really only has 6 moves u-air, f-air,n-air,b-air,u-tilt,d-tilt, not much else is really used, the problem is over B, d-smash and para are way to slow, and not safe on block. Well d-smash is sorta safe but even then its not completely.

The problem I have with ZSS its like to win a match you must really know every **** match its not like most of the "viable" characters that ***** over 1/2 the **** cast so hard it doesn't matter, and even then its like okay im doing good, ohh **** a falco, okay ban FD, **** random was smashville(drop controller I lose, if they don't screw up).

Sometimes though I toss out a few over Bs to see if they are experanced at fighting ZSS, because if they arn't over Bs can be fairly useful even at high level however if they have played some zoot suit before yeah, don't really do it except for punishing mistakes.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
He mostly used Falco on me, and I assume he did the same against Dazwa so I'm not surprised he lost to him at all.
It's funny bc I haven't heard of him before.
The two games I lost to him were really really close (both last stock last hit) but I beat him pretty hard on Rainbow Cruise. I should've switched to Kirby or Pikachu for game 3 but I felt like I should've been able to beat him as ZSS. He's definitely pretty solid and underrated.

I then lost against KingAce, game 1 he had a 2-1 stock lead with me at medium percent, then I started to catch on to his style and took him to his last stock at 100% but it was too little too late. Then I counterpicked him to FD, switched to Diddy Kong and two stocked him, but didn't fare as well on Frigate.

Looks like I might be maining Diddy soon :(

EDIT: I also feel like noting that Meep beat me 2-1 in pools, my 1 victory from Rainbow cruise. I broke out of a grab at 60% or so but lost some skin off my finger. It was worth it. I also beat Shugo 2-1, and he's easily the best Sonic I've ever played against. As Hayato likes to say, KITS TOO GOOT

EDIT2: I might give ZSS another try at a New England local, and if that doesn't go so well, I'll probably switch to Diddy or MK entirely. I actually like being able to grab >_>

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Sucks to hear dazwa but I think we all understand that playing other characters is definitely a nice change of pace.

I hope you keep playing diddy though if anything, then you'll have two bizarre characters to **** unsuspecting noobs with.

PepsiMista

Smash Apprentice
I seconded diddy...
I personally think he has one of the best grabs.
Too much for me though (Nanerz, ect).

Wario is my 2nd, and im currently practicing TL.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Well, Plasma Whip and Paralyzer gain much more use as bait and punish moves in the air. That's part of the reason ZSS is so strong in the air.

I try to reserve my use of dsmash to edgeguarding, because it's actually useful there.

On grounded foes, though, you're absolutely right, ZSS's major spacing moves are pretty terrible. You're stuck with nair, bair and dtilt, with uair, fair, bair and utilt for various punishes.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
DSmash is designed primarily to punish mistakes. Thus, at the top level, it's way less useful. But even at the top level, people WILL make mistakes (just far less often), so it has some use.

Personally, I like to do DSmash while my opponent is recovering/far away etc., as if to telepathically say, 'Remember: if you screw up, you're getting an extra 40% damage tacked on, matey', and then maybe you can scare them into submission long enough to legitimately get them to screw up.

noradseven

Smash Lord
DSmash is designed primarily to punish mistakes. Thus, at the top level, it's way less useful. But even at the top level, people WILL make mistakes (just far less often), so it has some use.

Personally, I like to do DSmash while my opponent is recovering/far away etc., as if to telepathically say, 'Remember: if you screw up, you're getting an extra 40% damage tacked on, matey', and then maybe you can scare them into submission long enough to legitimately get them to screw up.
Or trip haha.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
Dsmash was made to hit people through platforms, that is all =).
Side-B is only useful against disjointed long attacks (GnW's Bair and the like) or shield pressure if they can't Pshield it.
Paralyzer smells funny.

Marthos

Smash Journeyman
I've had a lot of trouble fighting Sonic lately. He'd usually stay fairly far away and start spinning or dashing. If I tried to keep him at bay with a Paralyzer or Plasma Whip he'd wait it out and charge in during my lag. Otherwise, he'd either come in and hit me, or hit my shield, but get out of there before I have time to hit him.

Sorry if this is redundant at all, but I'd really like help with this match-up.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I've had a lot of trouble fighting Sonic lately. He'd usually stay fairly far away and start spinning or dashing. If I tried to keep him at bay with a Paralyzer or Plasma Whip he'd wait it out and charge in during my lag. Otherwise, he'd either come in and hit me, or hit my shield, but get out of there before I have time to hit him.

First tip don't use paralyzer or over B really against sonic unless he does something dumb and you will hit him before his move ends.

Against sonic hug the ground, and fight with jabs/d-tilts, sonic has no pokes to beat this, and just block his dash attacks odds are most sonics will jump at some point, take advantage of this, and dominate him aireally, your u-air/f-air/b-air will shut him down quite badly, but seriously hug the ground until he goes in the air in this match.

sasook

Smash Champion

Take a look at this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7963903&postcount=4

Snakeee

Smash Master
I like to d-smash Sonic out of his B moves. It works well if you know the timing, but watch out if he does the one that can cancel, because a good Sonic keen on the match up will powershield - grab you with that one.

∫unk

Smash Master
can i SDI or DI down to consistently hit the floor when I get hit by ZSS' u-tilt?

i've seen it happen before just haven't understood why/haven't tested it

i want to be able to tech the u-tilt.. lol

noradseven

Smash Lord
can i SDI or DI down to consistently hit the floor when I get hit by ZSS' u-tilt?

I have never seen this occur in 1v1, I have seen it occur in 2v2 and FFA though, Im not really sure what causes it, I mean u-tilt always launches it up.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion

Does warp ever DI and tech your up b? just curious (marth up b obviously)

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama

It is possible. You've gotta have a helluva good DI. I've seen it done before as well, it's just... not really normal? Then again, it was on WiFi where I saw it happen, so lol at DI registering on there.

∫unk

Smash Master
Does warp ever DI and tech your up b? just curious (marth up b obviously)
i rarely up b warp with marth... if you miss it's death... his spacing is good. he's tech'd a tipper d-smash though on the ground might have been a slanted ground i forget.

warp's trying to learn the down b spiking timing consistently so he can do cool stuff out of it... last time we played i kept teching his stage spike b-airs :lol:

It is possible. You've gotta have a helluva good DI. I've seen it done before as well, it's just... not really normal? Then again, it was on WiFi where I saw it happen, so lol at DI registering on there.
okay i will try to learn how to do this consistently

getting u-tilted by zero suit is ******** if you air dodge you get ***** with d-smash if you don't you get ***** with u-air into more u-airs which are easy to react to the air dodge because of her really good movement

i'd definitely take being on the ground and dealing with her side b than that

duals

Smash Journeyman
so....

i went to a tourny last saturday and in round two..i got wrecked by DDD.... I never played against a good one and i sure haven't studied up on the match up.... any ways... 1st round...3 stocked on BF... 2nd round.. two stocked only because i chose rainbow cruise... and my really main concern was that i got chain throwed... a lot...

I went through the vids...and the character match up but haven't really gotten a clear strategy on DDD...care to help?

p.s i know this has been discussed before but id appreciate the help....

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Were you playing ZSS or Samus? Cause we don't get chain throwed, it's a tech chase that you have to mix up your options in to avoid being predicted and regrabbed. If he was regrabbing you a lot, you were probably being very predictable with your techs.

Also, we have our own CG and lock on DDD that help us deal quick damage, after that it's about outspacing him and keeping him in the air, basically. You need to space very well to avoid getting grabbed.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
so....

i went to a tourny last saturday and in round two..i got wrecked by DDD.... I never played against a good one and i sure haven't studied up on the match up.... any ways... 1st round...3 stocked on BF... 2nd round.. two stocked only because i chose rainbow cruise... and my really main concern was that i got chain throwed... a lot...

I went through the vids...and the character match up but haven't really gotten a clear strategy on DDD...care to help?

p.s i know this has been discussed before but id appreciate the help....
If you're talking about Zero Suit Samus, that you should have had an easier time on Battlefield than you would on Rainbow Cruise. I don't know if it's just me, but when it comes to stage control, ZSS pretty much has the upper hand on a small, platformed stage like Battlefield. Dedede is good in the air and at controlling a stage, but I honestly believe ZSS could punish him far more than he could punish her.

Dedede is a tough competitor at times, mainly due to his amazing kill potential. The main thing you need to watch out for in this match-up is King Dedede's Back air. That pretty much slaughers majority of our aerial game and a skilled Dedede won't hesitate to spam it for both recovery negation purposes and just as a valid approach.

Now, the fun thing about Dedede is that hes a large target. Getting him stunned with a downsmash and following up with a sweetspotted forward air isn't tough at all. Which makes racking damage up on him a very simple task. Spacing and camping with your neutral+b is also a smart choice if your damage is above 70%, because it's really not difficult for a Dedede to KO a ZSS.

Dash attacks are a main key to dealing damage to Dedede as well, considering there's a moderate lock on him going back and forth across the stage with it. It's simple to pressure him off the stage with dash attacks, but I wouldn't recommend following up with an aerial considering his swallow could easily result in a quick suicide tactic. Once you get him off the stage, I would recommend using your side+b to tech chase rather than an aerial. Remember, Dedede is a large opponent, so hitting him with the side+b isn't exactly a shot in the dark. If you do happen to miss, it would be best to be prepared to flip jump back to the stage if he attempts to use swallow.

My personal strategy involves mixing up the above strategies, as well as dash attack -> dtilt. The chaingrab is somewhat useful, but I hardly ever use it in my playstyle, to be honest. I focus more around neutral+b and quick punishing just to be on the safe side.

If anything I said above seems wrong, do correct me. I'm just posting my personal strategy on the match-up from experience.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
About the chainthrow, I think you can DI it up and perform an action before you hit the ground, else you should DI it away and techroll away, then (pivot) roll away again.

PepsiMista

Smash Apprentice

it can be done.
have only seen it once though.

duals

Smash Journeyman
If you're talking about Zero Suit Samus,
Were you playing ZSS or Samus?
yeah...i am...i keep forgetting to chance my little player icon.....

Cause we don't get chain throwed, it's a tech chase that you have to mix up your options in to avoid being predicted and regrabbed. If he was regrabbing you a lot, you were probably being very predictable with your techs.
yea i ment tech chased..ugh... all these terms... lol..... but yeah i i would either try to tech the ground once i hit it but i failed a lot...so im either on the ground and i attack out off the ground...which he'd shield then grab...either roll away but run a grab again...or just turn around and grab....

i think i lost just for my general lack of experience against DDD..... i use to have tough times against ROBs.... but now i wreck them....lol

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
okay, i was watching this video a minute ago. like this Zss player did a uair but like it was different. like they stayed in one spot. they didn't go up, the way uair takes you. does anybody know what that is?

sasook

Smash Champion
okay, i was watching this video a minute ago. like this Zss player did a uair but like it was different. like they stayed in one spot. they didn't go up, the way uair takes you. does anybody know what that is?
You don't really move upwards when using uair if you hold down while performing it. That's my guess as to what you saw.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Wait the zss didn't go up? Csticked aerial. Or the other person didn't go up? That would be a sourspot uair, where you hit with the back side of the hitbox. It's very good for comboing at mid percents.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Moving past the Uair question, here's a question for all of you: which attack, in your opinion, makes the best taunt?

My vote goes for SH Dair, though up B comes a close second. Almost as good as her standard taunts IMO.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Does Dair shockwave jablock?
Till which percentages does DA jablock?
Is JC banana throw to nB to JC banana throw etc. legit? If yes, go me!

solecalibur

Smash Master
guess topic was moved here
I'm having trouble getting the timing down. Push the C-stick in the opposite directing of the attack towards the end of her animation right? I'm just feel that I'm not getting right. Any pointers?
Tap forward, and press the c-stick down seems to be the best way. YOu have to do the two inputs almost at the same time.

My respose is get a wolf in training mode to aprox 115% (correct %?) and attempt to dash across the stage

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Taunting? Haha, surprisingly, I do backflips across the stage while fastfall NAIRing as my way of taunting with Zero Suit. It's just a lulzy thing I do to keep my timing strict, so I don't throw myself off in the match.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Till which percentages does DA jablock? not very high, definitely not past 50
Is JC banana throw to nB to JC banana throw etc. legit? the first would be, the nanner bounces up after hitting someone though so to continue you'd have to jump and instant throw, which doesn't combo with our SH .
responses in quote

What is good, though very tricky to pull off, is nanner throw, neutral b, step back pivot grab so that diddy is held right in front of the nanner, then pummel him onto the nanner and dsmash combo. The timing is really strict cause you have to pull diddy in before the nanner hits the floor or diddy will pop it up again.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
What is good, though very tricky to pull off, is nanner throw, neutral b, step back pivot grab so that diddy is held right in front of the nanner, then pummel him onto the nanner and dsmash combo. The timing is really strict cause you have to pull diddy in before the nanner hits the floor or diddy will pop it up again.
That's possible? I just attempted it, and every time that I've pivot grabbed Diddy, it's caused him to overlap the banana and it just gets flung behind ZSS as though someone slipped on it.

The length of her pivot grab isn't really allowing her to grab Diddy Kong from the distance he's knocked back, so that he won't cause the banana to get disturbed while hes still in the grab.

Unless it's LITERALLY one dire frame you have to catch him on between it pulling him over top of the banana and missing the grab completely. But I can see how the set-up COULD work if that is possible. I just couldn't get it done properly, even in training mode with Diddy Kong standing still.

I can say, if that does work, could it not be used as a patch to an infinite? After the down smash, grab the banana repeat the process?

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
actually, i was mistaken what i tested to work is neutral b setting up for a bananna slip, grab before the nanner hits the ground then you can pummel into dsmash, sorry not the other way around that would be ****.

the best combo we have on diddy that i've found involves dash attacking him onto his bananna then dsmash, and continuing, i posted the specifics in our matchup thread recently.

Top Bottom