• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda doubles -what can team Zelda + ____ do? (Update notice, now discussing G&W!)

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
how does being a lightweight affect a person's/team's defensive strategy?

peach's defensive strategy revolves around pressuring/baiting opponents with turnips, you can almost call it an agressive defense. she pressures opponents with low risk maneuvers and waits for the opportunity to punish (wait...this kinda sounds like a defensive strategy)

zelda's defensive strategy revolves around the fact that you just can't approach her without a projectile or a broken hitbox. she sits there and spams dins to pressure her opponents to approach, and when they do they get punished.

being a lightweight has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with their level of defensive play. being lightweight affects their ability to survive, if that's what you're meaning to say. you, my friend, need to realize the difference.
a team needs a good survival tank. Peach and zelda staying in a defensive formation is all well and good assuming the foe has no projectiles. But if they do, neither character is capable of outcamping.... much of anything. So they'll have to break formation and they are both still lightwieght.

****ty might have been an exagerration, but it's no lie, they are much more affective on offense than on defense.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
a team needs a good survival tank. Peach and zelda staying in a defensive formation is all well and good assuming the foe has no projectiles. But if they do, neither character is capable of outcamping.... much of anything. So they'll have to break formation and they are both still lightwieght.

****ty might have been an exagerration, but it's no lie, they are much more affective on offense than on defense.
peach can actually make a great tank. she may be light (actually isn't she considered a middleweight? correct me if i'm wrong), but she has AMAZING di if u know how to use it. true, the lack of a heavy tank makes it harder, but it's not impossible.

goodkid

Smash Lord
This is a good combo. Zelda plays the stock tanker role better than Peach. Peach for the damage and Zelda for the KO...it's that simple. Zelda can sit back & Din's Camp, and smash/tilt/grab when opponents get near.

Peach/Zelda ~4/5

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
From experience Snake really is not your biggest fear. I most definitely have a bigger problem using this team against metaknights than snakes. If you can separate the Snake whatever team Snake can be taken care of pretty quickly, the problem with Snake VS Zelda is creating the opening to hit him and wrack the damage needed to kill, the problem with Peach VS Snake is killing, so if you switch off and have Peach help create an opening you should be able to kill him at a normal percent (compared to those crazy Snake percents like 200...)

I don't really know who the stock holder is to be honest, I have had matches where Peach is CLEARLY the stock holder but also ones where Zelda is clearly the stock holder as well.

gantrain05

Smash Master
peach vs snake is not a hard matchup by any means, its whatever snake is partnering with is what u have to worry about, snake/mk, snake/G&W and especially snake/falco are very very annoying teams and are very hard to approach, and when u have to approach because snake has got explosives everywhere is when it becomes a problem.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
and when u have to approach because snake has got explosives everywhere is when it becomes a problem.
Snake pretty much always has explosives everywhere, so it's always a problem.

Point taken that Peach can rack up damage and Zelda can come in for the kill, but a) Snake still dies waaaaay later than both of them, and b) his grenades and other explosives make it extremely hard to get in and keep a combo going, even 2v1. If you can get him off the edge, though, things will go beautifully as long as his teammate isn't there.

I still say he's one of the harder characters for this team to handle, especially if he's paired with one of the characters mentioned by Gantrain (adding Pika to that list), but. *shrug* That's just my opinion.

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
alright...so my teammate (who plays peach as well) and i got together and did some team friendlies...and i will say this....

wow.....

i was extremely surprised. peach can do an excellent job at pressuring/controlling enemy movements with her turnip game, and zelda can provide excellent support with din's spam. here was the summary of most of the matches.

- match start
- zelda runs to edge, peach in front and picks a turnip.
- peach glide tosses to bait opponents attention, while zelda spams dins.
- peach racks up insane damage on one opponent that was baited by the attack, while zelda controls the other opponent, preventing an interruption in peach's damage racking ability.
- peach and zelda switch opponents, but this time zelda kills opponent while peach begins racking up damage on other player.
- rinse and repeat.

a reason why i noticed this team was amazing was zelda's ability to act as a shield for peach. depending on the opponent, i was able to hinder any approach from the opponent's teammate (and in a team aspect, concentration is lowered because the approaching opponent has multiple things to worry about). of course, the strategy was changed around depending on the opponents we played (strategy had to be manipulated against snake/mk/dk/zss), but this is a great basic strategy with this team.

back to an older post i put about peach being tank, i take it back. zelda acts as the stock tank here JUST BECAUSE she's playing defensive this entire fight until she needs to kill. peach is 100% aggressive this fight.

also, a list of great CP stages we found were

Final Destination - Neutral
Smashville - Neutral
Pokemon Stadium 1 - Neutral
Luigi's Mansion - if it's not banned, there's plenty of space for peach to deal damage, and zelda to control the opponent. Plus, zelda can refresh her kill attacks here so that her kill moves are ready when they need it.
Green Greens - again, another pretty well spaced area where peach and zelda can camp just fine. just don't get screwed by the wind and bombs.
Castle Seige - as long as your oppoent isn't falco/ddd, you have plenty of space to work out your combos. plus the 2nd part of the stage allows zelda to refresh her attacks

again, i was pleasantly surprised by this combination. extremely viable for tournaments, and I just might convince my partner to play peach in some tournament matches.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I've teamed with Kata before and I really enjoy having Zelda as a team mate

Peach racks damage like no tomorrow but can't kill and to an extent, it's the opposite for Zelda. Due to the close quarter nature of teams, as always it's best if one person takes on one person and this is critical with both characters since they have multi, reasonably widespread moves

Go about your normal team business of fighting. That's really all the general stuff. More specific stuff would cover

Helping each other out when recovering: Din's can pop Peach back up if she's Floating down with her Parasol. A Turnip can give Zelda her Up + B back as well or a Dair can push her up

Using Din's to activate Toad: Pretty fun when it works. You'll need to have some kind of communication or way of understanding what your partner will do for this to work but it's great when it does and it's hilarious when it kills. Basically, Peach can Float out towards enemies offstage who are close to the boundries. Zelda can stay back and fire Din's at Peach. If Peach uses Toad, Din's will set off the counter and depending on damage and how close they are to the boundries, this could easily kill opponents. Of course, it's not the best idea if someone is still onstage

Assigned jobs: Ideally, Peach could rack up damage and Zelda could kill. Not going to happen all the time but Zelda's killing power is very useful as she won't have to stale her Up Smash since Peach can cover the air with Dair and Fair. Peach can also push people into Zelda for the kill

Projectile wall: Zelda stays in the rear and fires longish range Din's to cover a widespread area. Peach uses Turnips to beat away anyone who avoids Din's. Could work now and then I guess

2 vs 1: Zelda should always hit with her stronger move. Get Peach to grab the remaining opponent so you can Lightning Kick them (is Bair the stronger one?). Up Smash is a bit risky and some characters could prematurely DI out of a charged Up Smash. Avoid having Peach doing the kill move. Her kill power is nowhere near as strong as Zelda's and her Up Smash is very dodgy since it'll miss against most characters if the jump release or depending on grab priority, Up Smashing whilst the opponent is grabbed could result in Zelda taking the full hit. Not nice. You could also try using a Projectile wall but Peach could chase/Turnip the opponent. Try not to get in each others way in a 2 vs 1 situation as one wrong move will result in you probably killing your team mate. Pressure them towards your team mate and try to force a mistake or open an chance for grab tricks

From my experience, this is a pretty cool team as far as things go. Just fight as normal but take extra precaution not to Up Smash Peach and the same goes for Peach not killing Zelda. Help your team mate when appropriate, good chances are when your current target is offstage and your partner is getting grabbed/comboed by their opponent

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Oh thanks rick! I always love your lengthy hearty summaries =D

Are we done with peach then? Which character shall we do? I'm voting double din's, which should be a big enough hint
:upsidedown:

GodAtHand

Smash Lord

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
im up for reading anything, the only time i've been in doubles my partner was Lucas.
most successful partner I had was Inui's MK.... but it's metaknight, I mean, come-on. he wraked damage and zelda did clean-up..... and how.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
both have spam moves
din's fire/ vegetables,Saturns,beams, and the auto win bomb
both have killers for higher percents
side and up smash,and down smash/ up smash/racket sweet spotted, and crown slap

great team is great

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EQEFcgA0RY&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCf814btRjQ&feature=channel_page

Here are two vids of me and Peachkid from a recent tournament. The two we are fighting are higher than us on the Power Rankings. They are number 4 and 6 while me and Peachkid are currently 13 and 15 respectively. I thought that might help in judging the viability of the team.

enojoy etc.
that was some interesting cherry-flavored Din's **** on that second vid lol

AzNfinesse

Smash Journeyman
this should get interesting.....i can see it now....

Lightning Kick > Lightning Spike > Upair

if this could work...it would be too awesome....

OF COURSE this is just theorycraft....we all know that this is next to impossible (if someone manages to pull it off let me know and i will be your best friend for life).

gantrain05

Smash Master
both have spam moves
din's fire/ vegetables,Saturns,beams, and the auto win bomb
both have killers for higher percents
side and up smash,and down smash/ up smash/racket sweet spotted, and crown slap

great team is great
i disagree, bomb is an auto-lose for me >.> i think every bomb i pull i lose the game cuz i blow myself up with it lol.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
It's not a bad team since Zelda is instantly much better on teams than she is alone

However, a double Zelda team obviously doesn't do much to cover her weaknesses.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Um. Obviously, getting gimped & stock tanking is a problem.

But with another Zelda on the field, all those combos and followups you wish were possible become viable.

Usmash/uthrow > uair
Throw > LK
LK > LK (lol if it ever happens outside of an accident)
Naryu's > spike
Jab/dash attack > pretty much anything

If there's only one opponent on the field, I've done double dtilt locking before.... it's hilarious, and when they eventually pop up, it's always fun to see who can land the final blow first. :evil:

I dunno. I've only ever done this team for lulz, because it's not really effective. There's no one to do damage racking, and like any ditto team, certain characters will rip through it.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I dislike that team strongly. It's got the problems the Zelda/DK team had, but more extreme, and the advantages are lesser.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Sweet, I have some experience with this team. A little outdated, but neither character has really changed much, so I'll contribute what I can.

It's not the world's greatest team, but it's pretty **** fun. I'll write more later.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
remmeber to tell your Ike partner "Please watch where you point that sword, i bruise easily...."

since hes heavy, we can always bring him back on stage w/ Dins lol

onetime i played counter wall w/ an Ike. he just countered my dins above his head so that no one could get past him for a while, they had no shotos.

dtilt lock>Ike Fsmash = GGs

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
remmeber to tell your Ike partner "Please watch where you point that sword, i bruise easily...."

since hes heavy, we can always bring him back on stage w/ Dins lol

onetime i played counter wall w/ an Ike. he just countered my dins above his head so that no one could get past him for a while, they had no shotos.

dtilt lock>Ike Fsmash = GGs
by *bruise* do you mean die?

I do like Zelda for this team up rather than shiek though, because the constant sphere of "unsafe" around ike really hinders sheik's ability to fly around the stage.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
we shouldn't mince words :laugh:

otherwise people would think we're top tier because zelda doesn't die, only bruises.

Top Bottom