• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda doubles -what can team Zelda + ____ do? (Update notice, now discussing G&W!)

LordshadowRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
Good in green, average in white, Bad in red.

Alright, I'm going to run down the stages for this team as I see them. Naturally, personal preference and playstyle effects which one you should be picking, but, you know...
Starter

Yoshi's Island [Brawl]: It has possibilities, provided Zelda can control the area under the platform and G&W can control the air.

Battlefield: Probably not, the stage is too crowded for these two to fight effectively.

Smashville: Probably your best bet for starter stage provided that PS1 is chopped off the list. Nice and open so toes don't get stepped on and a varying near/far blastline (standing on the moving platform)

Final Destination: Meh, it's final D, it's pretty cool, I guess, but it's just such a boring level...

Starter/Counter

Lylat Cruise: No. No no no no no. Zelda's return is easy enough to screw up as it is, we don't need the stage tilting making it bad

Halberd: Decent stage, G&W has no problem returning here, and, when the platform is in the air, Zelda could just teleport up through it if someone is ledge guarding her.

Pokémon Stadium 1: I like PS1, lot of good elements to be taken advantage of. (The burning tree and the windmill come to mind) as well as plenty of room for G&W to use his aerials

Castle Siege: Part 1 is too small, way too small. Zelda is gonna die.

Counter

Delfino Plaza: Pretty decent, if you're not fighting someone who has a spike, the water counts as "In the air" for Zelda's spike, so, that's a possibility. The teleporting through the level also applies here too. G&W also has the added advantage of, if he doesn't QUITE make it back to the level, staying in his parachute hoping the level appears.

Brinstar: A little small, but, I pose the following scenario to you. Acid leaves just the top platform. Zelda is upsmashing while G&W is Nairing above that.

Frigate Orpheon: This is the one you ban. The level where the stage says, "I accidentally your recovery, Zelda"

Rainbow Cruise: This, this has potential to be the OTHER one you ban, but, it can work if the Zelda player has a good air game.

Jungle Japes: I might recommend this one as your counterpick. Nice near horizontal boundries, nice high vertical ones. Zelda can control the side platforms pretty well with her Usmash & Dsmash and, they're also a good place to camp with fireballs.

Pirate Ship: Water. Zelda's Dair.

PictoChat: I simply like this level. Zelda & G&W can do a pretty good job of getting people into the hazards. It also has a nice high vertical blastline and close horizontal ones again, like Jungle Japes.

Pokémon Stadium 2: G&W has a LOT of fun with the level turns to flying type. Hell, if some characters jump during that point, G&W can even kill them with a non-connecting Uair. Zelda can control the center in Electric type. Both G&W can do highly effective sliding up smashes in ice type.

Counter/Banned

Norfair: Pretty good, I guess, if you're good at platform controling.

Luigi's Mansion: A good level: lots of room and well... have you ever gotten someone in a Zelda Upsmash under that ceiling?

Distant Planet: Ugh, Distant Planet, next level please.

Green Greens: A good counterpick. More Zelda campy & small platform controley goodness! Now with more explosives! G&W doesn't have that problem that most characters have if they fall into a block pit, his Up B will just punch through the blocks and he might even be invincible if one of those blocks is an explosive. The side blastlines are also near enough for early kills.

Yoshi's Island [Melee]: Blast lines are TOO close, but, if you're both good at DI and tecking, it works.

Port Town Aero Dive: Well, on the plus side, you won't get edgehogged. On the down side, recovery on this level still sucks.

Top Bottom