• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you make bracket?

MasterShake

Smash Lord
If it's 32 man bracket, no.

Any larger, I'm confident I would be in there for sure, as long as I didn't get pool ****ed by bad seeding.

I'm going through this phase right now where I think everyone sucks and I would body 99% of smashers.

King5280

Smash Journeyman
Thread title makes it pretty clear but do you think you could make bracket at a national/international tournament? Do you think you could do so with ease? Or would you need a lineup of certain chars to tear through? If you already make bracket consistently your presence isn't really needed here but feel free to post wh0re or give advice or speculation as you see fit.

Personally I believe I could if I could ever make it to a big tournament, I know a lot of people toot (toot..?) their own horns but I'm pretty confident and convinced I wouldn't have much difficulty at least making it to bracket, my tech skill is pretty sharp and my ability to cope, plan ahead, follow through and react are and always have been pretty above average, especially competitive video games, where I generally have no problem getting far. Though I know Melee is a game with the depth of 2 universe's, I just know I could make it.

Now lets hear what you guys all think of yourselves?
guess MI has a new smasher that would **** our pr then?

slayertokey

Smash Journeyman
Thread title makes it pretty clear but do you think you could make bracket at a national/international tournament? Do you think you could do so with ease? Or would you need a lineup of certain chars to tear through? If you already make bracket consistently your presence isn't really needed here but feel free to post wh0re or give advice or speculation as you see fit.

Personally I believe I could if I could ever make it to a big tournament, I know a lot of people toot (toot..?) their own horns but I'm pretty confident and convinced I wouldn't have much difficulty at least making it to bracket, my tech skill is pretty sharp and my ability to cope, plan ahead, follow through and react are and always have been pretty above average, especially competitive video games, where I generally have no problem getting far. Though I know Melee is a game with the depth of 2 universe's, I just know I could make it.

Now lets hear what you guys all think of yourselves?
see you at sweet 6 then i guess.

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
Doubt I'll make it in brackets no tournament experience or competitive player experience what so ever.

In other words not enough skills. I'll be wasting my time until I get some local regional experience to make myself a bit more confortable in the environment and use to fighting some matchups in Melee.

Practicing against cpus only can help with so much.

darkatma

Smash Hero
my friend shoyo made it into G2 brackets that was his 1st big one (were from hawaii)

he's really solid though...

fuss, lmao you'd be suprised at the skill level @ big tournaments
Shoyo is a very solid player... I knew he could do it after watching him vs SilentSpectre in the Hawaii vids.

Getting into bracket is a very big deal at national level tournaments. A worse player would have an easier time making bracket at tournaments such as Apex, where only top 2 make it out of pools. This introduces high variance and very possible upsets. For example, I'm pretty sure CJ, Niko, and Duck would've placed just fine in bracket if they had gotten the chance (i.e, if 3 seeds made it out of each pool). Then you have players like Sol and Ambix making bracket in their place (I'm sure they are good players regardless).

That being said, the answer to this question will basically be the same answer as: "Can I beat other top level players?" Because if you can, you'll have a very good chance of making bracket, and if you can't, you'll have to be extremely lucky to have a chance to make bracket.

At Genesis 2, my goal was just to get into the 3rd round of pools, and after seeing the list of good people in my R2 pool, I was pretty scared of not getting out. Tai, Falcomist, Fly Amanita, SilentWolf, and Meta are all what I would consider high level players, all capable of making bracket and performing well. But yeah, beating top level players usually means that you have to be good enough, and play at your peak.

Jonas

Smash Champion
my friend shoyo made it into G2 brackets that was his 1st big one (were from hawaii)

he's really solid though...
It's just a general rule though.

That's how it is in most aspects of life really. Sometimes some ***hole gets rich and famous for no reason*, but try to keep your expectations down a little bit.

*Not trying to demean Shoyo's performance at G2 though. Way to go man, you most likely earned it :shades:

t3h Icy

Smash Master
For fun, here's a list of players that didn't make bracket at Pound 4:

Bam, Chaddd, Chinesah, DOH, Faab, Hugs, IHSB, DJ Nintendo, Lord HDL, L0ZR, Nando, PKMVodka, Rockcrock, Sol, Taj, Trail, Vist, Wife

So if you'd want to make bracket at Pound 4, you'd on average need to be doing better than all of these players.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Pound 4 pools were cake. All pools are cake, brackets are diff though. Don't worry I think you all have a chance to get out...im not that good and manage just fine.

The last time I missed bracket was pound 3.

:phone:

CloneHat

Smash Champion
for fun, here's a list of players that didn't make bracket at pound 4:

Bam, chaddd, chinesah, doh, faab, hugs, ihsb, dj nintendo, lord hdl, l0zr, nando, pkmvodka, rockcrock, sol, taj, trail, vist, wife

so if you'd want to make bracket at pound 4, you'd on average need to be doing better than all of these players.
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

leffen

Smash Champion
Lmao at Jonas and everyone with a similar mindset.

Being content and not having to check into a mental hospital for not making bracket is fine,
but.
Putting too low expectations the reason you'll fail in the end about 1038130813018 times more often than putting too high expectations.
Expecting yourself not to do great and setting up mental barriers is what makes people plateau and stop improving. Do you think Taj thought "Theres no way I'll beat Mango" when he did?

Maybe theres only one in a thousand chance that you'll make bracket at your first national, maybe theres one in a million that you'll beat Armada, fine, put up low expectations, but know you've essentially killed your chances and that you're just holding yourself back, just like scrubs who refuse to wavedash.

for reference: I've made bracket on every national I've ever went to, I placed 9th at my first one (BEAST) and 17th at my second (Genesis 2).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Wish I went to pound 3....I've heard stories about those pools LOL

Pound 4 was also intense in terms of the number of skilled players all in practice there.

It was my first international tournament and I made it out, but that also happened after I had been playing Melee for 2.5 years LOL.

Edit: I agree with Leffen on expectations.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Pretty sure I could. Well see at the next national. Ezpz.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
If I try REALLY REALLY REALLY HARRRDDDDDDD AHHHHHH

*me trying really hard*

nope. Still can't.

Still need more timeee....

stelzig

Smash Lord
It's a pretty common mindset in Denmark. Though i'd say it is more about having no expectations rather than having low or high expectations. At least it is for me.

On a sidenote, I don't think fuss sounds like a player who has had any experience in competitive smash whatsoever. All 3 examples I noticed here were with previous experience and not just practicing in your room.

Jonas

Smash Champion

Being content and not having to check into a mental hospital for not making bracket is fine,
but.
Putting too low expectations the reason you'll fail in the end about 1038130813018 times more often than putting too high expectations.
Expecting yourself not to do great and setting up mental barriers is what makes people plateau and stop improving. Do you think Taj thought "Theres no way I'll beat Mango" when he did?

Maybe theres only one in a thousand chance that you'll make bracket at your first national, maybe theres one in a million that you'll beat Armada, fine, put up low expectations, but know you've essentially killed your chances and that you're just holding yourself back, just like scrubs who refuse to wavedash.

for reference: I've made bracket on every national I've ever went to, I placed 9th at my first one (BEAST) and 17th at my second (Genesis 2).
It's more like "These guys are a lot better than me, so I might not win the whole thing" than "Omg I'll never beat these guys. Why even try?"
In other words, realistic expectations rather than really low expectations.
I think it's a great idea to play the best you possibly can, but you're doing yourself a disservice if you go into each and every match expecting to win every time. Sometimes it's better to go into a match expecting instead to improve.

It has to be said though that I'm quite prone to that kind of self-destructive thinking, so I guess you have a right to lol at my mindset :redface:

Oh and Taj? I think he pretty much knew it was done after his first match against Mango's Fox at G2 lol. He might not even have expected to beat Mango a second time, but who knows. He had realistic expectations which let him have a good time fighting Mango instead of leaving the match all salty and disappointed.

Btw this is something I agree with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9khDedACgY

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
The answer will always be "no" because anyone who has never been at a big tournament will not make it to bracket.

Except Mango when he started going to tournaments. What a b****.

I know that I can't make it to bracket at anything big because I've never done so :(
Plup at Apex
Leffen at G2
Shoyo at G2

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman

but.

I'm totally on board with this. I really like this approach.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Pound 3 was my first tournament in US ever. I think I had 5th in R3 pools.. one short from making brackets. =/ All pools had 8 people all the time. I believe I lost to Darkrain, Dope, Colbol and Eggz. So ya.. you must at least be able to beat half of those guys at least.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Yeah, but each of those guys had like 2-3 years of experience going in and had proven themselves regionally...they just happened to have not traveled to a national yet.

I don't think people should have mental barriers, but I don't know why you'd WANT a game where anyone can make bracket. The skill disparity is what makes smash so rewarding; being the best player is a legitimately great feat.

If you could just walk in day 1 and **** everybody, would smash even be fun?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I've been following Melee for like 5 years and have never been to a tournament pretty sure that's some sort of record

But I'm pretty sure when I start playing I'll be able to eventually

leffen

Smash Champion
Yeah, but each of those guys had like 2-3 years of experience going in and had proven themselves regionally...they just happened to have not traveled to a national yet.
I had been playing for a year when I made 9th at Beast and one month more when I became "2nd best" in sweden.
I ****ed up swedens top 5 at my 2nd tournament when people said they'd 4 stock me
Seriously, screw being realistic. Even if its more likely that you won't **** everyone, you're better off playing like your gonna.

I dunno why people think about what if they fail and oh no what happens then all the time,just try your best and if you fail, thats fine. Just try even harder next time

This doesn't mean that you shouldn't practice. Practice as hard as you can (this is true even if you're the best ffs) but god dammit, tournament is where you practice to perfect your tournament mindset, its not where you learn stuff because you think you'll lose anyway.

You can learn from playing those characters or that player in friendlies, but what you can't do is learn to handle grand final like tournament pressure when you enter tournaments thinking "I'm gonna lose anyway"

oh and tournament this weekend.
Armada is gonna get ***** (no I mean its likely that I won't win since he won over mango 3-0 so I'll just play to le-**** YOU)

Jonas

Smash Champion
oh and tournament this weekend.
Armada is gonna get ***** (no I mean its likely that I won't win since he won over mango 3-0 so I'll just play to le-**** YOU)
Hah, point taken. In the end I agree with you, except that I think there's a difference between expecting to win and believing that you are able to win. But yeah, there's no point in expecting to lose either.

Top Bottom