• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you make bracket?

Prince_Abu

Smash Lord
most people don't go out of their way to lie to others, they just tell the truth as they see it. it can still be a truth to that person even if it is wrong or ill-informed. whether or not someone actually tries to make the situation is a different call entirely. you have the dr. pps and the leffens and everyone else in between. but even if leffen's posts are 100% troll or useless, he probably sincerely believes at least some portion of what he's saying. there's really no incentive to lie on the internet.

for example, i think by now most of the pittsburgh players like ambix probably hate my guts when i tell them that they're not that good or that their rankings don't matter. of course it seems like an attack, but that's how i really see them. i don't think they're bad players by any means, i think they still have room and potential to grow and i admire them for being so close-knit, but regardless of what i think, that's just how i truthfully see them.

lots of people don't know what they are talking about, but as soon as you tell them that they go into defensive mode and it just makes the situation worse. if you don't want the community to suck, you can try helping people not suck and it can get better. if you want it to suck, you can be like me and tell people that they don't know what they're talking about all the time or call them fake or start flame wars, etc.

from what i can tell, ambix isn't that good of a player. but he can be, he has the right idea for the most part and isn't that far off. anyone hating on him for making bracket is a ****** for trying to mitigate his performance at a tournament. sometimes you get a lucky bracket, but don't sell yourself short and don't let other people do it either.

ur not good at smash
stop posting like ur good cause ur not

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
Wow i ***in hate this guy
most people don't go out of their way to lie to others, they just tell the truth as they see it. it can still be a truth to that person even if it is wrong or ill-informed. whether or not someone actually tries to make the situation is a different call entirely. you have the dr. pps and the leffens and everyone else in between. but even if leffen's posts are 100% troll or useless, he probably sincerely believes at least some portion of what he's saying. there's really no incentive to lie on the internet.

for example, i think by now most of the pittsburgh players like ambix probably hate my guts when i tell them that they're not that good or that their rankings don't matter. of course it seems like an attack, but that's how i really see them. i don't think they're bad players by any means, i think they still have room and potential to grow and i admire them for being so close-knit, but regardless of what i think, that's just how i truthfully see them.

lots of people don't know what they are talking about, but as soon as you tell them that they go into defensive mode and it just makes the situation worse. if you don't want the community to suck, you can try helping people not suck and it can get better. if you want it to suck, you can be like me and tell people that they don't know what they're talking about all the time or call them fake or start flame wars, etc.

from what i can tell, ambix isn't that good of a player. but he can be, he has the right idea for the most part and isn't that far off. anyone hating on him for making bracket is a ****** for trying to mitigate his performance at a tournament. sometimes you get a lucky bracket, but don't sell yourself short and don't let other people do it either.

Varist

Smash Lord
umbreon is making a lot of sense. just felt like i had to drop that in there because you guys are hating on him for personal reasons.

disagree with a person using rationale as much as you want, but they'll always be more right than you. which makes people mad I guess.

S l o X

Smash Champion
i remember when getting first seed at local tournaments was hard. now beating the people who take top 3 at locals seems more than feasible.

give me a few more months.

MacD

Banned via Administration
I'm average.

The smash community is starting to get on my nerves now.

salt and piss seems to be the flavor of the day.

Still have no idea why MacD was being such a jerk at apex.

Can't really have a conversation or a friendly game with anyone.
i'm not a jerk to anyone i've never met, actually i think the general consensus is that i'm a pretty nice person

though you lost most of my respect before we played our set and the rest at the end/after. no reason to go out of my way to be nice to someone like that. i was even trying to rig the pool (as i think you saw) since i felt bad for nintendude and didn't care about screwing you over.

but oh well, **** happens, especially for a peach main trying to climb in the rankings (i've been there, done that with all the haters).

but the thing to remember is that it's not always everyone else, sometimes it's yourself. there are very few people (like maybe 5?) in this community i dislike, and if you get put on that list, then you know you dun ****ed up. maybe you should check your attitude before you go blaming everyone else

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Ambix would probably 4-stock you.
I beat Ambix pretty solidly at Rom4 and didn't make Bracket at Apex and am not salty about it.

It's just how the dice rolls sometimes and he beat the two people in his pool while I didn't.

People need to realize that it doesn't matter who was in your pool once you make bracket, and sometimes your pool is going to be harder then someone elses.. man up and win.

darkatma

Smash Hero
I'm average.

The smash community is starting to get on my nerves now.

salt and piss seems to be the flavor of the day.

Still have no idea why MacD was being such a jerk at apex.

Can't really have a conversation or a friendly game with anyone.
Meh I feel like even if you were lucky to get into bracket that you must still be pretty decent and have potential for improvement

Just ignore the haters and keep trying

stelzig

Smash Lord
I beat Ambix pretty solidly at Rom4 and didn't make Bracket at Apex and am not salty about it.

It's just how the dice rolls sometimes and he beat the two people in his pool while I didn't.

People need to realize that it doesn't matter who was in your pool once you make bracket, and sometimes your pool is going to be harder then someone elses.. man up and win.
My comment wasn't as much about how good ambix is as it was about how much I think merkuri overrate himself. :p

Though, I still agree with atma that you can't get to bracket at apex with just luck, even though it helps. :)

(iirc, ambix is also the yu-gi-oh player that is a friend of a dane I know... So gotta support him a little, lol)

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I like it when keyboard monsters look at the results and say stuff like "if THAT GUY can make it into bracket, then so can I"

but then they completely ignore the dozens of solid-pro level players who missed bracket for whatever reason.

People seem to assume that just because one lesser known player got it miraculously, that counteracts all the reputable players who got snubbed.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
My point was simply that Ambix is not a good player and he still made bracket. And therefore you don't have to be good like all these top pros are always saying in order to make bracket at a national tournament(keep in mind that Apex could very well have been the most stacked tourney ever)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
The pools were not as hard at all than previous tournaments like Pound series. Going through 7 other people that are skilled is much much harder in R3 pools.. even Genesis 1 and 2 were harder. Did you see some of those R3 pools? Intense as hell.

Max?

Smash Champion
My point was simply that Ambix is not a good player and he still made bracket. And therefore you don't have to be good like all these top pros are always saying in order to make bracket at a national tournament(keep in mind that Apex could very well have been the most stacked tourney ever)
But the thing is, Ambix is good, where do you get off saying otherwise?

And even if he's not as good (which is completely subjective) as some of the people who missed bracket, where were you in all of this? Oh that's right, at your house making huge generalizations about the community, and NOT at the tournament. Once again, until you actually show up and do stuff, you have no right to say anything about anyone at all.

And yeah, Nintendude got F'ed over pretty bad at Apex.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
its weird how people think some players who make bracket r not good. there were 300+ people trying to make bracket, and sure some who could/should of didnt b/c they were put in certain pools. but it was no accident that the people who made bracket did so, it took the skill to win were so many others didnt.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
... This has to be one of the worst threads I have ever seen. It should be destroyed...

D

Deleted member

Once again, until you actually show up and do stuff, you have no right to say anything about anyone at all.
In the most literal sense, they do. If you don't like subjective or baseless speculation about the game just...don't read a speculative forum about the game. I don't understand why you call everyone fake when you obviously dislike using the boards more than anyone else here.

Max?

Smash Champion
In the most literal sense, they do. If you don't like subjective or baseless speculation about the game just...don't read a speculative forum about the game. I don't understand why you call everyone fake when you obviously dislike using the boards more than anyone else here.
Funny enough, Zoso said something similar to me the other day on AIM. It's just too fun trolling and talking ****. I wait for the day when there is something legitimate to talk about (which will never happen), so in the mean time trolololololol

Nintendude

Smash Hero
People should stop saying that Ambix isn't good, didn't deserve to make bracket, etc. I consider myself to be solid in the Peach matchup but he still executed well and beat me. Not only that, but he had to beat a lot of other people to get to that point. You guys should be giving him credit for what he achieved.
i was even trying to rig the pool (as i think you saw) since i felt bad for nintendude and didn't care about screwing you over.
What actually went down with our pool? I left promptly after my matches since it was like 1am and after losing to both you and Ambix I knew I was done for unless something miraculous happened. Looking back, I wish I did stick around to get to know you guys a bit better...

Merkuri

Smash Lord
But the thing is, Ambix is good, where do you get off saying otherwise?

And even if he's not as good (which is completely subjective) as some of the people who missed bracket, where were you in all of this? Oh that's right, at your house making huge generalizations about the community, and NOT at the tournament. Once again, until you actually show up and do stuff, you have no right to say anything about anyone at all.

And yeah, Nintendude got F'ed over pretty bad at Apex.
Geez will you quit saying Ambix good already? Ambix himself has stated he is only average. Don't you think he would know better than you? Anyone who knows anything about Ambix would see that tit's very obvious that he isn't a good player.

This thread asked a simple question and I answered it. No reason to be douchey bro.

Max?

Smash Champion
People should stop saying that Ambix isn't good, didn't deserve to make bracket, etc. I consider myself to be solid in the Peach matchup but he still executed well and beat me. Not only that, but he had to beat a lot of other people to get to that point. You guys should be giving him credit for what he achieved.
Exactly

Back to the ignore list you go Merkuri

Moooose

Smash Champion
Geez will you quit saying Ambix good already? Ambix himself has stated he is only average. Don't you think he would know better than you? Anyone who knows anything about Ambix would see that tit's very obvious that he isn't a good player.

This thread asked a simple question and I answered it. No reason to be douchey bro.
how dumb are you

Max?

Smash Champion
The dude is either a monstrous troll (for which he deserves respect), an alt account (sup Hbk?) or mentally ********.

I'm leaning towards the later.

Merkuri

Smash Lord

What actually went down with our pool? I left promptly after my matches since it was like 1am and after losing to both you and Ambix I knew I was done for unless something miraculous happened. Looking back, I wish I did stick around to get to know you guys a bit better...
Well that's probably just more of you overestimating yourself in the machup(or in general) than it is about Ambix being a good player. I know Ambix pretty well and why I won't go so far as to all him a bad player, it's kinda silly to say he's good. Even players from his own state were surprised that he made bracket. I know Mew2king is a great player an all, but you can watch him vs Ambix to see what I'm talking about.

The dude is either a monstrous troll (for which he deserves respect), an alt account (sup Hbk?) or mentally ********.

What is this? You are a well known for being a very dumb troll. You even admit to it. You're defending Ambix just to validate that YOU don't suck because you couldn't make bracket at Apex. Grow up.

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion

LOOOOOOOL I can totally imagine hbk trolling people like that.

I don't really get the point of this thread. Making it out of pools heavily depends on the bracket and pool size.

If I had to make a standard, I'd put Pound 4 / Genesis 2 type pools as a cutoff, cause those pools were probably the hardest pools in the history of competitive gaming
ok I could easily be wrong lol

Assuming those type of pools, I really wouldn't put anyone besides the top 10~ (Mango, Armada, m2k, hbox, pp and a few more) as guaranteed people to make it out. ****ing Axe didn't make it out of Genesis 2 pools (I think), vwins didn't make it out of Pound 4... I'm genuinely scared of not making it out pools every national and I've had some pretty close calls, pretty sure most players have.

This game is hard. Most people below that top 10 range are comparable and their success really just depends more on external factors anyways. Keep at it people.

Were you actually nervous about that pool? Shiz could have gone either way but you're way better than G$ imo.
Yes absolutely. I'm just scared of Marth in general. g$ beat me in Genesis 1 pools... so yeah that still haunts me.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Lol Otg, sadly I've only had 1 troll account(otfake?). The mods are **** though and I posted like a few times and they already banned it...and I really wasn't trolling at that point. Its pointless to make alts if I cnt even have fun.

Props to ambix though, dnt let anyone take what you did away from you. Apex pools were so lopsided though. Alot of people who didn't make bracket probably would've easily got out some other pools...mine included. And if you were from NJ you pretty much got breastfed into bracket it seemed. Twebb still mad...lol

:phone:

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I dont get why Merkuri assumes he's better than Ambix :confused:
Don't get the wrong idea, I've never said that I'm better than Ambix. Ambix may not be a good player, but I'm not that great either. I can't know if I'd beat him unless I play him first.

ambix would poop on murkuri like a million times over

what has merkuri ever done besides type on a keyboard? im thinking nothing
You are simply vastly overestimating Ambix. Ambix has never accomplished anything before Apex and a great deal of players didn't even know he existed. He is pretty much a random who made it into Apex bracket and that isn't a bad thing. It just goes to show that even obscure players can make bracket at international tournaments.

As for me http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=10099926&postcount=1

Top Bottom