• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you make bracket?

Battlecow

Play to Win
I've been following Melee for like 5 years and have never been to a tournament pretty sure that's some sort of record

But I'm pretty sure when I start playing I'll be able to eventually
Stop being an antisocial weeaboo and go to a damn MD/VA tourney. Waste of talent, swear to god. You're good at 64 so you'd win melee internationals EZ.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'd have to get lucky with pools. 2nd round for me at pound 5 had cactuar and macd, I'm just not at that level. Even though I only got 1/2 stocked they are a league ahead.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Not trying to disrespect anyone, but if a player like Ambix can make bracket at Apex, then I don't see why I can't.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Stop being an antisocial weeaboo and go to a damn MD/VA tourney. Waste of talent, swear to god. You're good at 64 so you'd win melee internationals EZ.
antisocial is merited

how am I a weeaboo

That fact that I don't go to tournaments isn't really my fault though

Bing

Smash Master
Not yet, but Im getting closer and closer. Apex was an eye opener. Basically to those who dont even think they can make it past round 1 pools, you can, pools dont get stacked until Round 2 XD.

Violence

Smash Lord
My tournament experience:

Norcal Locals
BC Locals
Good **** German
Don't Go Down There Jeff
Genesis 2
The Big House
Apex 2012

I have never made it into bracket at a Norcal Local where they have selectively thinned people from the bracket. (Most locals)

I have never made it into bracket at a BC Local where they have selectively thinned people from the bracket. (3 out of the 4 tournaments I've been to)
Got destroyed at GSG.

Barely made it into bracket at DGDTJ, then faced SFAT round 1, Lovage round 2. Took a match off of both due to luck, but 2 and out all the same.

Genesis 2, Round 1 pools, 5th seed. Damn you JpegImage! I was in a pool with a top player from my own region(SFAT), and from the region I was living in (Meta), and I knew I couldn't beat either.

The Big House, barely scraped my way in after Kels and Taki, had Riddlebox and Weon-X in bracket. Thanks to Duck for scaring Weon-X off of Samus, he asked me what my character was, and after discovering it was also Samus, he proceeded to play Marth on me(though I'm pretty sure his space animals would've wrecked me anyway.)

Apex 2012, Round 1 pools, took out Aber and Korobeniki to get in after Colbol. Round 2 pools was Darc, SilentWolf, and Kou. Yeah. Good luck, anyone who wants to get out of that thing. Some pools were insanely stacked, and others were just free, from the looks of it. If my pool was one of the easier ones, I might've gotten in.

All in all, I don't think I can make it into a national bracket, in my current shape after experiencing a few of them.

NU13E

Smash Rookie
I practice maybe 1 day out of a month. And on that day I would spend maybe 2-3 hours just doing random stuff. Needless to say, I play for fun lol.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
My tournament experience:

Norcal Locals
BC Locals
Good **** German
Don't Go Down There Jeff
Genesis 2
The Big House
Apex 2012

I have never made it into bracket at a Norcal Local where they have selectively thinned people from the bracket. (Most locals)

I have never made it into bracket at a BC Local where they have selectively thinned people from the bracket. (3 out of the 4 tournaments I've been to)
Got destroyed at GSG.

Barely made it into bracket at DGDTJ, then faced SFAT round 1, Lovage round 2. Took a match off of both due to luck, but 2 and out all the same.

Genesis 2, Round 1 pools, 5th seed. Damn you JpegImage! I was in a pool with a top player from my own region(SFAT), and from the region I was living in (Meta), and I knew I couldn't beat either.

The Big House, barely scraped my way in after Kels and Taki, had Riddlebox and Weon-X in bracket. Thanks to Duck for scaring Weon-X off of Samus, he asked me what my character was, and after discovering it was also Samus, he proceeded to play Marth on me(though I'm pretty sure his space animals would've wrecked me anyway.)

Apex 2012, Round 1 pools, took out Aber and Korobeniki to get in after Colbol. Round 2 pools was Darc, SilentWolf, and Kou. Yeah. Good luck, anyone who wants to get out of that thing. Some pools were insanely stacked, and others were just free, from the looks of it. If my pool was one of the easier ones, I might've gotten in.

All in all, I don't think I can make it into a national bracket, in my current shape after experiencing a few of them.
I'm pretty sure DGDTJ and the Big House count as national tournaments.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
I always thought there was no chance, but Apex pool matches were pretty surprising. It looks like I could have made round 1, but of course none of this matters in theory. :p
lol no, sorry brah.

Yea I def won't make it out of bracket.

Battlecow

Play to Win
antisocial is merited

how am I a weeaboo

That fact that I don't go to tournaments isn't really my fault though
OK nerd then

Just go to tourneys lol, how're your parents or whoever gonna let you spend 10 hours a day on the damn computer and not let you go play smash? Be a man.

NNID
dansalvato
As a Link main, not yet, but soon, I think.

I've been to one tournament ever (Apex) and made it to second pools, and I've already improved significantly since then. I'm not good enough YET, but I can see it happening reasonably soon.

Massive

Smash Champion
Yes. Wait, is SMYM a national?

Still yes.
I almost always get knocked out of bracket by Jace. Jace is in my crew. Jace is a jerk.

making bracket these days is actually a lot harder than it used to be if theres 3 rounds of pools, and possibly even with only 2 rounds like at apex. everyone is so good now. people like pc/hugs/cyrain/azen/cactuar/linguini/colbol/etc got 49th at apex. getting into a 32 man bracket (a regular bracket) is very hard.

Ambix

Smash Ace
Not trying to disrespect anyone, but if a player like Ambix can make bracket at Apex, then I don't see why I can't.
I got lucky with my pool match-ups.

Insanely lucky.

There are a s*** load of good people out there.

Max?

Smash Champion
Ambix is good. He actually goes out to Nationals and does stuff.

Who the **** is merkuri but some keyboard warrior?

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Ambix is good. He actually goes out to Nationals and does stuff.

Who the **** is merkuri but some keyboard warrior?
I'm pretty sure Ambix himself would admit that he isn't a good player. In fact he kinda already did.

You're right in that I have never been outside my state for a tournament, but I think you're just salty because YOU didn't make bracket at Apex.

Max?

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure Ambix himself would admit that he isn't a good player. In fact he kinda already did.

You're right in that I have never been outside my state for a tournament, but I think you're just salty because YOU didn't make bracket at Apex.
I won't go into what happened with me at Apex. Needless to say my pool was doable and I dropped the ball. I was the only person to take a game off SFAT tho and I feel like if we ran it back I could've won. Considering that he's one of 5 Fox's in the country that know's wtf he's doing vs. Doc, I take pride in what I was able to do in the first place.

And if you think I'm bad, feel free to actually come to a tournament and MM?

Also, for the record, I still think it's pretty lame that I got Armada in my first round pool, while a number of other first round pools were complete and total jokes by comparison. At both Zenith and ROM4 I was first seed in my respective pools, 2-0ing everyone and upsetting the "first seeds" who were supposed to out place me. I understand that the Tippity Top players have to be in someone's pool, but when people like Pikalex (random from MTL who I 2-0ed at ROM4) and Mofo (sorry Julien, <3 you but come on) are getting first seeds in there pools with NO one else good in it, you know something is ****ed up.

Kal

Smash Champion
I not only would have made bracket. I would have won the tournament. And none of that silly counterpicking Young Link bull ****. I would have done it in 2:04 with Ganon, no strategies just fighting as hard as I could.

Ambix

Smash Ace
I'm average.

The smash community is starting to get on my nerves now.

salt and piss seems to be the flavor of the day.

Still have no idea why MacD was being such a jerk at apex.

Can't really have a conversation or a friendly game with anyone.

Max?

Smash Champion
I'm average.

The smash community is starting to get on my nerves now.

salt and piss seems to be the flavor of the day.

Still have no idea why MacD was being such a jerk at apex.

Can't really have a conversation or a friendly game with anyone.
Agreed, the smash community is genuinely fake (I know I overuse this word, but it really applies here) and has no idea wtf they are talking about. You just keep ****** and put the haters to shame.

We'll just chain smoke bogies outside of Nationals while all the fake *****s sit behind their keyboards and make grand assumptions about what should/shouldn't be in the community when they genuinely have NO idea wtf they are talking about.

D

Deleted member

most people don't go out of their way to lie to others, they just tell the truth as they see it. it can still be a truth to that person even if it is wrong or ill-informed. whether or not someone actually tries to make the situation is a different call entirely. you have the dr. pps and the leffens and everyone else in between. but even if leffen's posts are 100% troll or useless, he probably sincerely believes at least some portion of what he's saying. there's really no incentive to lie on the internet.

for example, i think by now most of the pittsburgh players like ambix probably hate my guts when i tell them that they're not that good or that their rankings don't matter. of course it seems like an attack, but that's how i really see them. i don't think they're bad players by any means, i think they still have room and potential to grow and i admire them for being so close-knit, but regardless of what i think, that's just how i truthfully see them.

lots of people don't know what they are talking about, but as soon as you tell them that they go into defensive mode and it just makes the situation worse. if you don't want the community to suck, you can try helping people not suck and it can get better. if you want it to suck, you can be like me and tell people that they don't know what they're talking about all the time or call them fake or start flame wars, etc.

from what i can tell, ambix isn't that good of a player. but he can be, he has the right idea for the most part and isn't that far off. anyone hating on him for making bracket is a faggot for trying to mitigate his performance at a tournament. sometimes you get a lucky bracket, but don't sell yourself short and don't let other people do it either.

<3 teczero

Top Bottom