• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
Conduit 2 is pretty good. I'm liking the multiplayer so far.
:[ I just got Conduit 2 as well, was liking the single player/had yet to try the multiplayer when I got a Wii error..

Anyone had this one, "An error has occurred, eject disc and power off system"-or something of the like?

Online says to try using compressed air in the disc drive, but I have yet to try it. I'm hoping I can make it last without needing to send it for repairs.

Brawl seems to not work either now ><

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I want something new from Nintendo. I don't want a new StarFox, or F-Zero, or Mario or Zelda or Kirby... I want something new (Well, aside from Smash Bros :).
I HATE it when people say Nintendo, a company with 40+ IPs, say they should make yet another IP.

It's basically saying, "I want a new playable rep in Smash Bros, but I'm too ignorant and lazy to realize that not all of Nintendo's franchises are gonna repped."

Johnny_C13

Smash Cadet
Having new playable characters in Smash is the last thing on my mind, let me assure you. I'm just saying: when was the last time they pushed a new IP as seriously as their built ones? The last I can honestly think of is Pikmin.

M@v

Subarashii!
After the wii, I want to see if Nintendo really does have the hardcore audience in mind before Im sold.

The only reason I still have my wii is brawl.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Having new playable characters in Smash is the last thing on my mind, let me assure you. I'm just saying: when was the last time they pushed a new IP as seriously as their built ones? The last I can honestly think of is Pikmin.
Eternal Darkness
Custom Robo
Chibi Robo
The Legendary Starfy
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Xenoblade Chronicles

And throw in the fact that Wario Land, Punch Out, Excite, and Kid Icarus were revive....

Yeah Nintendo needs a IP my ***.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Eternal Darkness came out a decade ago. That is a perfect example of Nintendo ignoring some of their newer and more experimental franchises in lieu of a dozen Mario sports games.

Most of those other ones are largely Japan only games/franchises. How is a Starfy or a Xenoblade game at all relevant to those of us in PAL and NTSC territories (which make up the majority of these forums, I am sure)? Moreover, isn't Xenoblade an offshoot of the Xenogears/Xenosaga franchise, which has been around since 1998?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well... I never found the Wii to be a terrible system. It has quite a few good games:

SMG
SMG2
Twilight princess
Epic yarn
Skyward Sword (assuming)
Monster hunter tri
Golden Eye
Epic Mickey
TvC
Conduit 1
Conduit 2
Metroid prime trilogy

Just a few off the top of my head.

D

Deleted member

Epic Yarn was just too easy in my opinion. I mean, the other games weren't hard, but a one fingered infant with Parkinson's could beat Epic Yarn.

ON TOPIC: Me buying this system entirely depends on a new Fire Emblem. C'mon Nintendo, I'm counting on you.

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
well... I never found the wii to be a terrible system. It has quite a few good games:

Smg
smg2
twilight princess
epic yarn
skyward sword (assuming)
monster hunter tri
golden eye
epic mickey
tvc
conduit 1
conduit 2
metroid prime trilogy

just a few off the top of my head.
you forgot brawl!!!

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Well... I never found the Wii to be a terrible system. It has quite a few good games:

SMG
SMG2
Twilight princess
Epic yarn
Skyward Sword (assuming)
Monster hunter tri
Golden Eye
Epic Mickey
TvC
Conduit 1
Conduit 2
Metroid prime trilogy

Just a few off the top of my head.
I always thought that Brawl, Mario Kart Wii and Muramasa justified owning a Wii. On top of that it also plays GameCube games many in 480p since component cables are more readily available for it. Last but not least, you can download classic games via the Virtual Console and many of the N64 titles look great in 480p and widescreen on a HDTV.

finalark

SNORLAX
Golden Eye
Epic Mickey
Not going to lie, Golden Eye Wii might be pretty fun and is actually pretty good, but it's basically a cheap man's CoD, sadly.

And Epic Mickey was one of those games I really, really wanted to be good but sadly ended up feeling like it was a decade and a half behind in terms of game design. It made me feel like I was playing a lesser N64/PS1/SAT era platformer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I want to say that for Project Cafe I want to see Nintendo actually go out on a limb and do some things with their lesser-known franchises rather than just rely off of milking their flagship titles for all their worth.

Johnny_C13

Smash Cadet
Eternal Darkness
Custom Robo
Chibi Robo
The Legendary Starfy
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Xenoblade Chronicles

And throw in the fact that Wario Land, Punch Out, Excite, and Kid Icarus were revive....

Yeah Nintendo needs a IP my ***.

That's exactly my point! Although Eternal Darkness did technically come out after Pikmin (a whole half a year later... weee!), all the other franchises are just 2nd tier efforts (and hell, Day of Crisis didn't even come out here!).

I want a high quality game, the same level of quality of Zelda or Mario, but with a new feel, a new background, a new setting! Id software is doing it with Rage, Borderlands was a risk, Uncharted was new and great, Mass Effect too, Dead Space, etc... A good portion of triple AAA titles where new IPs this generation, yet ABSOLUTELY NONE of them where from Nintendo.

finalark

SNORLAX
I want a high quality game, the same level of quality of Zelda or Mario, but with a new feel, a new background, a new setting! Id software is doing it with Rage, Borderlands was a risk, Uncharted was new and great, Mass Effect too, Dead Space, etc... A good portion of triple AAA titles where new IPs this generation, yet ABSOLUTELY NONE of them where from Nintendo.
They don't need to make new IPs for that, I would rather that they took a handful of forgotten franchises and dumped as much time and effort into them as they would with a Mario or Zelda title, hyped them up and then released them as a major exclusive for Project Cafe.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ah Eternal Darkness...great game. Sometimes it amazes me when good games don't get sequels...just needs more marketing.

Shenmue anyone?

finalark

SNORLAX
Shenmue anyone?
Shenmue was just stupidly expensive and overly ambitious for the era in which it was released.

Plus it's a SEGA franchise, and unless it's either Sonic or Phantasy Star don't expect SEGA to do anything with it.

BACK ON TOPIC!

I'm hoping that we get some good games from titles that Nintendo skipped on the Wii. I want to play F-Zero again, just as long as they get SEGA to develop it again I'll be happy (lol at me cursing and praising SEGA in the same post).

Oh, and good online, as everyone and their dog has been saying.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Despite all the hype surrounding the system itself, I'm equally as excited to see what games they have lined up for it. They presented the 3DS in rare form, coupled with a slew of AWESOME games. I hope they do the same with this console.

Hmm. A new Smash Bros. could come sooner than expected.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Are they aiming for backwards compatibility with everything via VC, gamecube controller slots, and disc reader for Wii and Gamecube? I personally think it would be pretty dandy to have all the smash games on the same setup ready to play without too much hassle.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Animal Crossing
Wii Series
Nintendogs
The Last Story

To just add a few more.

Nintendo has a ton of IPs, it is just only a few of them are hits, and why waste time and resources on something that will have a niche following and probably fail when you can pump out a 10 million plus seller with ease.

Complete backwards compatibility is a good idea. It might be a way to get the blue ocean consumers to move up since they won't have to reinvest in controllers, games, and such to enjoy themselves.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well I'm not sure if it's just going to be a video demo or actual gameplay of Smash. If they plan to release Smash 4 on launch, I will be unfortunately waiting for a price drop on the console =/.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm disapointed with the lack of Pikmin. It's one of the greatest IPs they ever made, and it only has 2 mother ****ing games. It pisses me off.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Dont forget 2nd Sight! That was a pretty great game that could use a sequel. I hope the next smash is better than melee. It might be nintys only saving grace to get me to buy. I do want to play a new mario and zelda but I'd rather not buy the system if its going to be motion gimmicks and more galaxy-like easy gameplay.

I will def be holding off this gen but I'm still excited to see whats going to happen

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
This generation just had too much favor of casuals. The only -hard- games on the Wii I can think off is MH Tri and DKCR (and it wasn't challenge hard, just stupid hard)

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
:[ I just got Conduit 2 as well, was liking the single player/had yet to try the multiplayer when I got a Wii error..

Anyone had this one, "An error has occurred, eject disc and power off system"-or something of the like?

Online says to try using compressed air in the disc drive, but I have yet to try it. I'm hoping I can make it last without needing to send it for repairs.

Brawl seems to not work either now ><
The MP is super fun for Conduit W. I'd suggest checking out the thread in the lighthouse once you figure out the problem with the wii. We have a few of us in there that play the game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Animal Crossing
Wii Series
Nintendogs
The Last Story

To just add a few more.

Nintendo has a ton of IPs, it is just only a few of them are hits, and why waste time and resources on something that will have a niche following and probably fail when you can pump out a 10 million plus seller with ease.

Complete backwards compatibility is a good idea. It might be a way to get the blue ocean consumers to move up since they won't have to reinvest in controllers, games, and such to enjoy themselves.
If you make 10 million the minimum, the only other series you'll see being released is Mario. Nintendo knows you have to make several different types of games to get people to buy the console. I might not like Fire Emblem, but I love Metroid so if they make a Metroid game, I'll buy their console so I can play it. Some series sell more than others, but that's no different some people being taller than others. Sometimes, you can't increase the appeal any more than it already has been.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
If you make 10 million the minimum, the only other series you'll see being released is Mario. Nintendo knows you have to make several different types of games to get people to buy the console. I might not like Fire Emblem, but I love Metroid so if they make a Metroid game, I'll buy their console so I can play it. Some series sell more than others, but that's no different some people being taller than others. Sometimes, you can't increase the appeal any more than it already has been.
Yeah, I understand the value of Fire Emblem and Metroid. They may not sell a whole lot but they have a solid niche appeal and add value to console. I was more of talking about new IPs where you don't really have the data to know whether it will succeed or fail or whether or not it will add value to the console. A lot of Nintendo's more "core" audience new games this generation have been huge failures.

The one things that gets me though is that their are people who expect Nintendo to have represent every IP they own and then add even more to it. It is just not a feasible expectation and only sets you up for disappointment.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yeah, I understand the value of Fire Emblem and Metroid. They may not sell a whole lot but they have a solid niche appeal and add value to console. I was more of talking about new IPs where you don't really have the data to know whether it will succeed or fail or whether or not it will add value to the console. A lot of Nintendo's more "core" audience new games this generation have been huge failures.
Again, they really don't need to make new IPs. Nintendo has numerous IPs that have laid dormant for years, it would be nice for Nintendo to make games based off of these old IPs. After all, something that might not have been that awesome ten or fifteen years ago could prove popular with a modern audience.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Some photographs which are suggested to be showing the new system:

This is supposedly a leaked sheet showing the controllers and system, but of course, take it with a grain of salt. The controllers definitely seem more gamecube-like than I expected, and that 2nd photo makes it hard to dismiss.

According to the description on the sheet, one of the capabilities it has with those controllers is the use of the screens to stream the games from the system, like a set of miniature tvs. I wonder how that will work with the older Wii and Gamecube games . . . . I know that it shows Mario Kart Wii in those pictures, but still.
You'd expect the writing to be in Japanese if it was leaked.

But, meh, with a new console comes a new smash. Looking forward to it.

Top Bottom