• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
With fps being so popular right now, it was pointless to make imo. Kinda like all those generic jrpgs back when they were popular.

Edit: MKWii is fun though, just not competitive.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I actually liked Super Mario All-Stars for the Wii. I knew what I was getting, nothing updated, but all I wanted was a version of Super Mario All-Stars that is playable on the Wii.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
For Golden Eye, you really had to tinker with the settings to make the wiimote viable. Otherwise, GC was the way to go. With that being said, Wii shooters are still way behind PC, PS3, and 360. It can be attributed to Wii having a small market, and therefore less effort. Or you can just say that there are actual limitations on the Wii in comparison to the others.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
The one on the N64 was horrible. And really, I appreciate the local multiplayer options on the Wiimake but I do agree that it's pretty much a CoD clone.
Are you joking me? It's one of the greatest games of all time! (In my opinion, of course.)

Everything is a "CoD clone" these days because the Call of Duty series is the most popular FPS on consoles.

finalark

SNORLAX
Are you joking me? It's one of the greatest games of all time! (In my opinion, of course.)
Sure, it was great back in the N64 days but it has a horrible frame rate, controls terribly, is directionless, has sloppy combat and aged about as well as milk in the sun.

I'm sure it's good fun if you can find a group of people who enjoyed the game when it first came out but to most who don't have rose-tinted glasses on the game's flaws just overwhelm you.

Everything is a "CoD clone" these days because the Call of Duty series is the most popular FPS on consoles.
It's a shame, really, Halo is better.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Sure, it was great back in the N64 days but it has a horrible frame rate, controls terribly, is directionless, has sloppy combat and aged about as well as milk in the sun.

I'm sure it's good fun if you can find a group of people who enjoyed the game when it first came out but to most who don't have rose-tinted glasses on the game's flaws just overwhelm you.

It's a shame, really, Halo is better.
Horrible frame rate? What? If we were talking about Perfect Dark 64, then I'd agree but I don't see any drop in frame rate when I play the game every once in a while.

Controls are good. Directionless? Sorry if you like games which hold your hand and give you a marker to go to. The combat is good, shooting works and so does everything else.

A score of 96 on metacritic says otherwise.

finalark

SNORLAX
Horrible frame rate? What? If we were talking about Perfect Dark 64, then I'd agree but I don't see any drop in frame rate when I play the game every once in a while.
My word against yours, I see it.

Controls are good.
C-buttons ARE NOT a good replacement for a second control stick.

Directionless? Sorry if you like games which hold your hand and give you a marker to go to.
Dropping you into the middle of nowhere with vague objectives and telling you good luck is pretty directionless to me.

The combat is good, shooting works and so does everything else.
When you play Goldeneye it doesn't feel like you're intentionally aiming with precision to take out targets, it feels like you're pointing your gun in the baddies' general direction and firing.

A score of 96 on metacritic says otherwise.
Back from '98. The game doesn't hold up well.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
My word against yours, I see it.
Fair enough.

C-buttons ARE NOT a good replacement for a second control stick.
They're good for strafing and moving around faster...the N64 controller was perfect for shooters back in the 90's.

Dropping you into the middle of nowhere with vague objectives and telling you good luck is pretty directionless to me.
How are you dropped in the middle of nowhere? And at least you can do the objectives in any order you wish instead of today's linear games. (Do objectives in this order...A...B...C etc.)

When you play Goldeneye it doesn't feel like you're intentionally aiming with precision to take out targets, it feels like you're pointing your gun in the baddies' general direction and firing.
You've been spoiled with today's games with regenerating health and massive auto aim. This is why today's games have been dumbed down for the general audience.

Back from '98. The game doesn't hold up well.
So? Not that many games back then got scores that high.

finalark

SNORLAX
They're good for strafing and moving around faster...the N64 controller was perfect for shooters back in the 90's.
Yes, that was back in the 90s and this is the 10s. Two sticks work better compared to one stick and a d-pad, even for the borderline uncontrollable speed of 90s shooters.

How are you dropped in the middle of nowhere? And at least you can do the objectives in any order you wish instead of today's linear games. (Do objectives in this order...A...B...C etc.)
I think the mission that comes to mind the most is the one where they just drop you into a massive snowfield and just kind of say "good luck." Although I will admit the ability to complete objectives in any order is something I miss.

You've been spoiled with today's games with regenerating health and massive auto aim. This is why today's games have been dumbed down for the general audience.
Now that's just insulting. And where did I even mention health? I was talking about aiming, besides, adding regenerating health and chopping out 70% of the character customization from Mass Effect 2 to make it more off a shooter than an RPG is dumbing something down. Improving aiming mechanics so you can actually shoot what you want to shoot is not.

So? Not that many games back then got scores that high.
Keep telling yourself that.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Yes, that was back in the 90s and this is the 10s. Two sticks work better compared to one stick and a d-pad, even for the borderline uncontrollable speed of 90s shooters.
I can agree with that.

I think the mission that comes to mind the most is the one where they just drop you into a massive snowfield and just kind of say "good luck." Although I will admit the ability to complete objectives in any order is something I miss.
Oh yeah, I remember that mission. You actually play it twice. (Once in the daytime and another time in the night.)

That mission is kind of hard to navigate but the other ones aren't IMO.

Now that's just insulting. And where did I even mention health? I was talking about aiming, besides, adding regenerating health and chopping out 70% of the character customization from Mass Effect 2 to make it more off a shooter than an RPG is dumbing something down. Improving aiming mechanics so you can actually shoot what you want to shoot is not.
Sorry about that, I just meant that today's gamers are spoiled and don't appreciate older games. Games have gotten easier.

Damn, LoZ OoT got 99? And I simply meant that you really don't see games this generation that get scores of 96. Even the best games today get in the early scores of 90s.

finalark

SNORLAX
Oh yeah, I remember that mission. You actually play it twice. (Once in the daytime and another time in the night.)

That mission is kind of hard to navigate but the other ones aren't IMO.
Yeah, the other missions weren't bad.

Sorry about that, I just meant that today's gamers are spoiled and don't appreciate older games. Games have gotten easier.
Demon's Souls would like to have a word with you. Other than that, yeah I will admit that games are easier. But I'm okay with that because it lets me play many different games over a short period of time rather than just one game over a long period of time. Plus when I was a kid a game could have insane difficultly because I had all the time in the world to get good at the game or to wander around enough until I stumble upon what I'm supposed to do next. These days I just don't have that much time, and given that games are targeted at people between the ages of 17-35ish is why games are easier these days.

Damn, LoZ OoT got 99? And I simply meant that you really don't see games this generation that get scores of 96. Even the best games today get in the early scores of 90s.
I think the reason why is because the mid-late 90s was an era of mind-blowing change that got people to hand out high scores like candy. In think that carried over into the following generations which is why an "average" game is 7-8/10.

Which is also why I choose to adopt a 1-5 scale for game scoring. More accurate and harder to abuse.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's foolish to compare N64 Goldeneye to today's games. For what it brought to the table back then, Goldeneye was one of, if not the best FPS game out there. It retained that crown for a long time, and it set the standard for FPS games. It's dumb to compare Goldeneye to any current gen shooters, because let's face it...they are better. Better graphics, controls, weapons, etc. Sure you may have a preference for health bars, or completing objectives in any order, but overall, the genre has evolved.

However, you can make the comparison for which game had more of an impact for its generation. That would be a solid debate.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Every console should get a price cut this year. Paying $300 for 6 year old hardware is ridiculous. (Xbox 360)

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
Does anyone know the font that the wii's OS uses??
Or at least a font that is close to it??

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Well my 320GB ps3 was like 350, lol. But the PS3 does have the better hardware, so I guess it's more reasonable than the 360's price.

Wiis gettin' cheapppp

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I have a quick question, I know this does not technically belong here (As it is a gamecube question) however I do not feel like finding and bumping that thread right now.

After enjoying Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and finding Marvel vs Capcom 2 enjoyable I looked up some of the other vs series.

One of them Capcom vs SNK 2 EO for the gamecube looks inserting but I read it has some criticisms about its controls? What is its problem and is it still a good enough game where I should try and get it?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
In terms of game controllers used in fighting games, the order would be...

PS2/3, Xbox, GC.

The problem with the GC is the layout of the input buttons. On top of that, there are a total of 7 buttons as opposed to the PS which has 8 buttons. Low kick, medium kick, high kick, triple kick, and the same for punches. The buttons on the front of the controller are in different shapes and sizes, and don't have an exact "pattern" as opposed to a PS controller which is 4 same sized buttons in a diamond shape. The trigger buttons are easy to access, and have a consistent size as well. The GC trigger buttons are fine, but the Z button is smaller and harder to press. Then the D-pad isn't no where near as good as the PS.

Overall, stringing together combos, commands, etc are more difficult on the GC.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
In truth the best fighting game controller is the sega controller. It was pretty much a fight pad. It had a good D-pad and all buttons needed where right there a b c on bottom and x y z on top.

In my opinion though the gamecube controller design outshines it opponents in many other areas.

Anyway, there are a lot of rumors that a new "wii" is coming out. I really think that motion and controller can coexist. I like playing the motion games but a lot of times I would just rather have a controller. Also the motion thing just kind of forced developers to make gimmicky games. Nintendo also needs to work on spacing out their first party releases. These huge dry periods and getting a new Zelda at the end of the consoles life are pretty lame.

UberMario

Smash Master
In truth the best fighting game controller is the sega controller. It was pretty much a fight pad. It had a good D-pad and all buttons needed where right there a b c on bottom and x y z on top.

In my opinion though the gamecube controller design outshines it opponents in many other areas.
Agree with both. (At the very least, the Gamecube controller is better suited than the Xbox's).

All a fighter needs, though the Saturn MIGHT have one-upp'd it:

Though most fighters wouldn't work with a control stick, anyway.

Anyway, there are a lot of rumors that a new "wii" is coming out. I really think that motion and controller can coexist. I like playing the motion games but a lot of times I would just rather have a controller. Also the motion thing just kind of forced developers to make gimmicky games. Nintendo also needs to work on spacing out their first party releases. These huge dry periods and getting a new Zelda at the end of the consoles life are pretty lame.
Yep, it's supposed to be more powerful than either the PS3 or Xbox 360 (not surprising at this point, both systems are at or near 5 years old, each), have DLC, GC, Wii, and Blu-Ray capability, and the controller is speculated to have:

-A 6" touch screen (keep in mind that 6" is a diagonal measurement, not the width, presumably)
-A more Gamecube-esque design
-A camera
-The ability to behave like a Wii sensor bar. (keep in mind that it's only using two infrared lights in the bar to begin with, so this would be extremely easy to incorporate)
-Motion Controls (presumably less used, as the shape suggested won't support both hands moving independently with the motion [or the desire for people to wing it around with that screen], so it'd probably be closer to the 3DS in that regard.)

LLDL

Smash Hero
Nice, I was hoping for a playable demonstration at E3. The first thing I'll be looking for during the news rush is a zelda / mario tech demo.

Top Bottom