• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Use a Bad Character?

Good Ol' Tree

Smash Ace
NNID
Garnitrex
-Which bad character do you play?
I play :sheik: , and :falcon: for the most part.

-Do you think your character is bad?
Yeah, they're pretty bad. Neither character can kill without a good read, and are fundamentally bad in Brawl.

-How did you come about to playing this character?
I've always liked :falcon: . He's just all around, and hilarious to play other people with; awesome shenanigans are bound to happen.

As for :sheik: , mostly because I like the way she looked when Gimpyfish played near Brawl's baby years. I was pretty new into competitive player vs player games, and didn't quite understand how characters worked, and why some were good, but :sheik: seemed too cool to pass up.

-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?

Mostly because I'm a decently busy person. There is also the I-play-too-many-other-games john because I do speedruns, and play MMOs. What I'm getting at is that I don't exactly take this game seriously anymore, and would find it a bit of a waste to invest serious time into a character.

-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching?
I've practically only played :sheik: forever, and only recently started playing :falcon: because of the shenanigans, so I don't really have an answer.

-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you?
Well, when Brawl first came out I was quite attracted to :gw:

-Feel free to add anything to this
This was fun :p

Veggi

Smash Champion

Mario, Peach, and Donkey Kong.

Mario is definitely bad, Peach and DK are okay and do fine against certain top tier matchups, but some other top tier matchups can be very frustrating. Falco and Diddy Kong in specific are extremely frustrating for all of my characters.

Ever since I was a little kid, I was obsessed with Mario and the Mario universe. My original favorite character was Yoshi and I played him all the time in Smash 64, but then I played Super Mario World and I saw he could eat dolphins. Then I decided to use Mario because I also liked him a lot. When I got older I started getting an appreciation for Peach because I thought she was charming and hilarious, so I used her as well as Mario in Melee. She was also very interesting because of her float. Then (I think) before Brawl came out, my brother was talking with me when I was on the bench at a soccer game and I told him he could only go to an all male school with mandatory tie if he wore a DK tie. Then we started joking around about how DK was amazing and I started realizing that he actually was amazing. So I used him in Brawl as well.

-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?

I just really like the characters. Donkey Kong's moveset is absolutely horrible as far as being accurate to the source material, but I like his strong moves, super armor, weight, down b, and cargo throw. The reason I still use Mario is I feel the Smash series kind of represents how a person interacts with Nintendo. When I see someone playing as Fox, I think "maybe that person likes Star Fox games a lot." I feel like if I switched away from Mario and Peach, I would lose part of myself. I wouldn't be a player that represents his love for the Mario series anymore. Peach, for having very little to draw from her games, I feel was a very accurate representation of the Peach in the Mario games as far as abilities and mannerisms go. (other than being shorter than I think she's supposed to be) She's a very interesting and unique character as far as the way she plays. The Smash series needs more characters like her and Olimar.

-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching?

There was a period of time where I dropped Mario and Donkey Kong, then picked up Dedede that was fairly recently. It might sound dumb to some of you, but I feel like there are some characters that a person is just natural at playing because of the way their mind works. For me, that character is Dedede. Now, normally I wouldn't really care that much and just ignore him, but King Dedede is one of my favorite Nintendo characters. I like him just as much as Mario, but the reason I didn't play as him was because I thought his chain grabbing took away from the rest of his play style and diminished his other options. Then eventually I just got sick of Mario and DK because their movesets really didn't remind me enough of the characters they were based off of so I switched to Dedede and kept Peach to represent my love for the Mario series. I actually don't regret dropping them even though I picked them back up later.

-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you?

Actually, yes. Dedede really is the character I have the most potential with and I could use Peach to play against his bad matchups. I know I sound weak for saying this, but I could probably feel good about using Mario and DK if people ever complimented me. No one really cares that I use bad characters. My name didn't even come up when people were talking about the best Mario players in Florida and even that's not much of an accomplishment. I might as well have just used a good character that I enjoyed playing.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I play Donkey Kong a lot (including in tournament) and my Ness/Lucas gets use as well. (Really just in friendlies)

Donkey Kong has too bad of frame data and has to deal with D3. Ness and Lucas are hard to play and getting grabbed by pretty much anyone is bad for them.

I've always liked the Mother series and I have way too much fun playing DK to ever stop playing him. (He's 100% more fun than all the good characters I play)

Donkey Kong is a challenge to use but he hits hard and helps a player to adapt a more patient, read based kind of game.

My Lucas and Ness both havent been used in tournament in about a year, (unless you count a low tier event) but there still are a couple situations where I would play Lucas in a tournament match

I would have become more efficient with a better character when the game first came out, but nothing would have stopped me from liking DK.

Life

Smash Hero
Wait, Fosho switched to Pit?

Anyway:

I at least mess around with a lot of the cast, but I consider myself a Sonic main so I'll talk about him.

Not... bad, exactly. He has no unwinnable matchups (although he has a few hard-but-doable ones) and several Sonics do very well locally (D1AOS, Espy come immediately to mind), we just haven't been able to pull it out at a big tournament since MLG and I'm not entirely sure why (other than the obvious kill power issue).

I saw him in Nintendo Power when he was announced and I'm like "I wanna go fast", LOL. Otherwise I'd probably have stuck with Marth or TL since I liked Marth/YL in Melee.

One, having the fastest run speed. I try to use it as a panic button, like "I need three seconds to process what just happened" and I'll run across the stage. (Only works in some matchups.)

Two, he's brilliant offstage. If Sonic doesn't get KO'd outright by something, he can make it back on to the stage without fail. From the opposite direction, well... I try, but what I really like to do in this game is gimp and edgeguard. Sonic is fairly decent at these (although I'm bad and don't get to do them much).

Three, Spring, because it combines both of the above: a panic button and a ridiculously good recovery. I even got a stage spike with it once.

I haven't stopped using Sonic, although I shop around a bunch because I'm bad like that. In particular, I notice that MK does all those things better than Sonic does (other than run fast), but one, I get really impatient using him, two, there are plenty enough MKs already, three, I've hung around /Sonic/ too much to really leave, and four, if I did get good with MK, people would blame the character and I'd still feel like a mediocre player. Oh, and there's the whole ban thing.

Good question. Honestly, I'm holding myself back far worse than any character in this game could--this coming /hope (August 4, HYPE) is more like the end of the beginning as far as my growth as a player is concerned. I start college in a month, might have something to do with it.

Back to the question, if I didn't have the approximate technical skill of a headless chicken, I'd love to have played someone like Pika or Climbers (I love watching ESAM go, seriously). Otherwise... uh, maybe Falco or Oli? I do love a good wall. Or Pit if people didn't QQ so much about non-MK planking.

Unrelated, but: I still don't know how I acquired a pocket Lucario. Maybe I just think more when I'm using him?

Grail

Smash Rookie
-Which *bad* character do you play?
Ike.

Heck no. As long as you keep your distance and play it safe, Ike is pretty much an amazing character with a great aerial game.

Fire Emblem characters attract Fire Emblem nerds.:cool:

Because I beat all my friends with him and he's one of the only characters where I know every one of his moves, hitboxes, and strategies. I like how he isn't too complex and has almost no combos. It's just how skillful you are with what you have.

I'm practicing Ice Climbers and Falco. I need higher tier character practice imo.

NOPE.

Gradeus

Smash Rookie
Hello all, I'm new to Smashboards and decided to make an entrance in this thread.

I play Lucas and Ike.

No. I don't understand how either are terrible, both have decent recovery if you can control it. Lucas has an absorb and Ike has a counter. Use them well peeps. And both have good kill power.

They have playstyles I actually liked, not just spam smash and B shizz like Pit for example.

What else do I do? Go with the flow? Ugh. I don't like following tiers if they're really restricting especially in a game like Brawl with only so many characters.

I actually haven't stopped, more so just started experimenting with other characters like Toon Link (who is also fun for once, I've realized). I wanted new things to try out, another character is an easy way to do that. No I do not regret switching nor do I plan to.

No, because the other characters themselves don't interest me as much. I mean, Ike is simplistic but isn't all about one or two things. And if you think Ike is a spammer you are wrong. Also, Lucas has taken some time to learn and it's payed its rewards quite finely. I honestly don't know why Lucas apparently sucks.

Any suggestions on who to learn that doesn't rely on spamming, is fun, isn't simple, and (now for the techincal part) can do decent damage and still have good mobility/kill power? Other than the characters I've mentioned. (Lucas, Ike, Toon Link. Don't say Ness or you will be horrifyingly maimed. ;D)

Forever Forgotten

Smash Rookie
I've tried out almost all of these characters at one time or another, but I mostly play as Ganon, Mario, Fox, and occasionally Ike.
Ganon? Naturally, but I don't believe he deserves as much notoriety as he gets. Mario? Same as Ganon. Fox? No, and I'm a little disappointed that others think he is.
Ganon? I don't even remember exactly. I think I came to him through Captain Falcon. Mario? I started out with him and never left him. Fox? I liked him a lot in Melee, and since Brawl is easier I like him even more.
Because they suit my style, and I have fun playing as them.
I normally main as Dedede, but I haven't abandoned the others.
Nope, 'cause if I didn't I'd be a veggie. Most of those characters require improv instead of a lot of actual training (I'm not saying I don't practice, though), and if I mained as a top tier I'd have no life.
I think that the characters I mentioned before deserve more, because I've seen tactics used with them that could possibly win stuff.

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I play :jigglypuff:

Bad? Not completely. Good? Hell no.

I used her along with Falco in Melee, and she is my 64 main as well, so it only seemed logical to give her a try in the new game.

Because no matter what the stakes are with this game, the last thing I should do is forget that it is still, in fact, a game. I play Puff because she's fun, simple as that.

Though I didn't stop using Puff, she led me to picking up Wario as well, because there's a certain amount of whimsy that goes into playing both characters, and the experience is similarly fun for me.

Hell no, I'm glad I stuck with her, I have tons of fun with her still.

Underprivileged character mantra - "The only thing holding back a bad character is players not willing to take the time to unlock that character's true potential."

Sully

Smash Cadet
I play :ike::ness2::lucas:

Do you think your character is bad?
I know that Ness and Lucas are bad choices to use because of the grab release and such. Ike is powerful, but he's easily left open

How did you come about to playing this character?
I used Ness in Melee and I was decent with him so I kept him in Brawl. Lucas was because I figured he'd be somewhat like Ness. For Ike, I just wanted to try a new character :p

If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?
I'm really good as Lucas and Ness and have good control over them, I really only use Nair, Fair and Bair as Ike because of how fast they come out.

If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching?
If I changed characters, I'd probably end up using Toon Link. He has faster attacks and far reaching projectiles ideal for camping.

If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you?
No, I like the characters I use.

soraxkairi7

Smash Rookie
I love playing as Kirby, even though Kirby can be lacking in some areas; however so far I am the best with him. I am learning how to play as all of the characters but Kirby is my main so far. I've even had someone at a convention just laugh at me when I picked him; they said "hmph, typical girl choice." I ended up whooping that guy. (He was all talk. -.-)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Marth

Yes. There are very few good characters in this game. Metaknight, Ice Climbers, arguably Olimar, and arguably Diddy Kong.

I played him in Melee. I danced from many different characters in Melee, but eventually I stuck with Marth. Even in my scrubdom, I naturally migrated to high tier characters (my Brother migrated to Falco and my cousin to Captain Falcon, with my little sister to Peach)
Lots of things about Marth I can relate to. He represents superiority, finesse in both personality and playstyle, and confidence.

Metaknight is my favorite Nintendo character. However since I had Melee experience, my Marth basics carried me through 2008. I got into Melee very late (competitively in 06). I had a good mind for analyzing data and learning the basics, and Brawl's simplified gameplay immediately took the small skills I had in Melee and granted me power of competency. Practicing, studying, and analyzing eventually made this grow into high level play over the years.

I didn't stop using Marth. But eventually I learned to play many other characters. I have a deep attachment to Marth, but my bond to Marth didn't outweight my love for Smash or my desire to learn the game. Playing more characters, and enjoying other things increased my skill in the game overall. I learned how to win encounters when I didn't have the most range. I learned that pressuring someone with safe options wasn't the whole game, because not every character has safe options, and Mario's Back Air is not Marth's Fair. I learned that you have to make reads to defeat opponents who have superior zoning tools, and sometimes you should take risks. I learned that if a character did not have solid combos or follow ups, you could score more damage by resetting. I learned all these things could be applied to characters that have even more tools to do so.

I would have still played Marth, but I wouldn't have allowed myself to fade off of Metaknight. I quickly saw the character for broken, and I should've stuck with it. Smash is the only game where I do not auto-pick top tier.

I understand an attachment to a low tier character. I really do, because a lot of people might look at you and point fingers but at the end of the day if you're not playing Ice Climbers or Metaknight, then you have no right to judge. However, I think every person should really ask themselves WHY they play when they're on the character selection screen, and choose the character that most represents that goal, and can carry it out to the fullest.

When I play for fun, I like to play Sheik. When I want to develop, I like to play Olimar. When I play to represent myself, I like to play Marth.

A large part of the reason I played Marth was because I rapidly gained attention and quickly grew to fame. Playing Marth helped to facilitate this. Playing Metaknight would have probably cast me into obscurity, unless I was actually able to win against other Metaknights. But when I really look back on it, that's only fear. Top players, like Nairo and Vinnie broke through this fear with consistent practice and study. They overcame this fear with a desire to win, and then did what it took to achieve victory. I believe anyone can do that, but often, people are too afraid to leave behind that which holds them back. Sometimes it's a character, sometimes it's a work ethic, and sometimes, it's a mentality.

Be honest with yourself. Be afraid of failure. Be brave enough to try anyway. Be strong enough to try your best.

Neon!

Smash Lord
Which bad character do you play? Donkey Kong

-Do you think your character is bad? Yes

-How did you come about to playing this character? After Brawl’s release Dk was considered a very strong character choice. After watching videos of Bum, Cable and Will I decided I wanted to pick him up as well.

-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws? I love DK’s strength, I feel like he is able to comeback from almost any situation because of his longevity and incredible killing options. DK can be a very intimidating character, when he has the momentum and when the player can make strong reads DK can deal more damage than almost any other character.

-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching? I may switch to another character later this year, I feel like I’ve hit another mental block with DK and may switch to Peach or Snake.

-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you? I wish I would have stayed with snake.

Airslash

Smash Journeyman
- Which *bad* character do you play?

Yoshi, although it's debatable if he is truly bad, but he's not good, I'd say average/meh..

- Do you think your character is bad?

No, highly underrated and his potential is pretty unseen. I think that Yoshi has potential unrivaled by a lot of mid tiers, and think when played to his fullest he can compete, although I do think my bias has a lot to do with my view on my characterso I am open to me just having that thought process.

- How did you come about to playing this character?

Feti- I mean, I love this character. Yoshi is so cool, plus his playstyle <3

- If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?

Because the flaws are pretty minor and getting around them just works. I won't give up simply because my character isn't perfect or broken. I'm not the type of person to quit.

- If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching?

Marth, and I do main him more than Yoshi. Technically I main them equally.

- If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you?

I wouldn't, I'm happy with my success in Yoshi and ready to take it to the big leagues in USA, Japan and Canada.

AceGamerE

Smash Rookie
I main :linkbrawl: and :marthbrawl:. :linkbrawl:, being the lacking one.
:linkbrawl: isn't exactly bad in my case he just happens to be slower and has a faster falling rate than alot of characters also lacking in recovery.
Swithed from :linkmelee: , and it took some time to get used to brawl's slower and more realistic battle system...
Because :linkbrawl: is really fun to play as XD
Well there is :marthbrawl: who I was better as in a point in time lol.
Nope. love using :linkbrawl: period.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
1- Which bad character do you play?
2- Do you think your character is bad?
3- How did you come about to playing this character?
4- If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?
5- If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching?
6- If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you?
7- Feel free to add anything to this
1- From the list, I main Kirby.

2- HELL no! I love the character and almost everything about it, except not having a projectile and not having faster aerial movement.

3- Looking for a secondary while I solo-mained ZSS (which I still main, she's just a co-main now... Can never decide which I like more).

4- He clicks for me and I just do so many awesome things with him. Usually people say he sucks, until they play me. Then they just say it's because I'm a good player, but even the best technician sucks without the right tools, if you catch my drift.

5- Never stopped using him, although I alternate between ZSS and Kirby from time to time. Sometimes I feel limited while using Kirby when my friends/opponents know so much about my gameplay, and/or use a character very skillfully that makes it hard for me to win, so I switch over to ZSS for a few months. What sucks about this is that most of the "do's and don'ts" of Kirby are reversed for ZSS, so switching between them can be self-destructing at times.

6- Nope, Kirby/ZSS all the way. But if I was of the play-to-win attitude, I would've probably chosen either MK, ICs or Diddy. Great characters with lots of technical ability so as to keep myself on edge and thinking fast.

7- Kirby and ZSS better be in Smash 4! And they'd better be good! I was happy when my Melee characters (Samus, Sheik, ICs, Kirby in that order) were all announced on Brawl, but the ones I used the least ended up being the better ones. And man, Samus sucking in Brawl broke my heart... :(

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Which bad character do you play? :sheik: & :dk2:

Do you think your character is bad?
:sheik: - Not bad, just really mediocre
:dk2: - Very easy to chain grab & gimp

How did you come about to playing this character?
I was trying them out in Training Mode for the hell of it since I never used either of them in Melee, to find out they were actually pretty fun characters to play as.

If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?
:sheik: - A big time Zelda fan (Even though I personally didn't find Ocarina of Time that great) but I've always liked her design in Brawl and have always liked her moveset.
:dk2: - After seeing Will's DK in action I've been wanting to play him ever since, plus the fact he has some pretty cool combos

If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching?
I haven't completely dropped them, I just keep them as a secondary along with Falco in case if I have trouble with certain matchups.

If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you?
I probably would go with Wolf, but I'm buttcheeks with him now. :urg:

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Ganondorf

He's the worst character in the game.

I picked him because he's the worst character in the game.

Because he's ****ing GANONDORF.

I switched from Old Manondorf to regular Ganon. The reasons are many, but regular Ganon simply has a better MU spread than his aging counterpart.

No.

GoofBall

Smash Journeyman
The baddest ***** on the roster, Peach.

Yeah. She has quite a few major flaws in my opinion and they are easily exploited by certain characters.
But I absolutely love her unique move set and have powered through many many matches with this broad.

I have always loved playing as Peach growing up in any game just because I thought it was funny, but when I discovered she could float in Melee.... It was just no question who I wanted to play.

4- If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?
She can float.... Nah, but really I just feel really comfortable with her and I love her.

5- If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching?
I haven't dropped her. But sometimes I think about using other characters in tournaments. But all the other characters I play are more "bad" than her. Haha.

6- If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you?
Nah, though I would love to say I'm a Zelda main. She's just too fun.

I'm would use this space to complain about Peach's non-existent air-dodge, random F-smash that ruins punishes and kill set-ups, low kill power, poor air&ground mobility, extremely gimpable UpB, and millimeter high second jump... But instead I'll just say that I prefer her being "bad" than a Higher character because she's easily underestimated.

Acedude55

Smash Ace
-Which bad character do you play? / C. Falcon :falcon:

-Do you think your character is bad? / Not THAT bad. Leaning a little towards average, but still a little bad

-How did you come about to playing this character? / Used him here and there in melee, same in brawl. Then I was having too much fun using him and started picking him more than my old main. THEN I played the best :falcon: back then, Rule34 and decided damn, Im maining him.

-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws? / He just feels too right. Totally my style and Ive used him too much to just suddenly stop. I can't stop

-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching? /

-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you? / Hell no

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
1. Which bad character do you play?

Ike!

2.Do you think your character is bad?
I think he's well rounded but compared to others, yea he is bad lol.

3.How did you come about to playing this character?
He had a big sword and fought for friends.

4. if you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?
I don't use him anymore lol. I'll only use him if it's for low tier tournaments or mid tier.

5. If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching?

I switched to snake cause of my love for metal gear and how much bs he could bring to the table. I switched cause mk. I don't regret switching.

-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you? yeah, I would have chosen marth. I believe I could have taken the best marth spot in the u.s.

Rayquaza07

Smash Ace

snake

His recovery is easily readable offstage, he can get cged by d3 falco etc, he loses/goes even with mus outside of top tier, and his higher learning curve and the fact that making mistaes with him offstage= huge % or death make him a char not rly worth picking up compared to others that are easier to lrn and better

Started using him on AIB wifi ladder my 1st season and found he was a lot of fun to play as

4. if you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?
He is fun to use and has the most unique moveset compared to any1 in the whole cast imo

5. I havent switched from maining him yet and dont plan to

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia

The lovable :lucas:

My personal opinion on the matter is that Lucas isn't bad from a having fun with the game perspective, but being competitive with Lucas is hard. He has bad mechanics around him but whatcha gonna do about that?

I actually started playing Lucas when brawl first came out because when I played SSE, I fell in love with his character and loved the shy, timid kid who became stronger over the adventure. I usually always love characters like Lucas. So I started playing him and his style of play just fit mine really well and I had so much playing as him. I love winning with Lucas because it's just like a personal victory.

Because I love over-coming those flaws! Lucas is a great underdog character in my opinion that everyone always overlooks and he usually has gotten the bad end of the stick. He is the character I have the most fun with and the character I have the best chance of winning with in terms of who I am most comfortable with. It's a good thing as well because I finally won some money with the kid for the first time recently. <3

I did switch to Peach for a little to be fully honest and I almost did switch to her full-time where I took a break from Lucas for a long while. But one day I was just like "What am I doing? Where's my Lucas?" I chose her because she was another character I just had fun with using since I loved her air game and how funny a character she is. I did regret switching in the end but in reality I don't that much. I learned a lot from learning Peach.

Wow now this is a tough question. I never knew I would get into the brawl competitive community so at the time I didn't mind playing a character I had a lot of fun with but the thing is, I had no clue that my character was considered bad. I love Lucas and I love his character and I love the Lucas community even if it may be small. If I didn't main Lucas, I wouldn't have done all these things with him and be able to help out and the like. I don't think I'd want to change choosing to main Lucas.

If I had to choose a character, I would probably pick Olimar or ZSS or Peach. I just love those characters the most and I love fighting as them/against them and the like. They are just a lot of fun.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Ike, the man who fights for his friends.

Not overall, no. On the exterior he appears to be a horrible character, but with enough skill and knowledge of his major flaws he can be a highly capable character in his own right.

I originally used Pit and Marth, but as a Final Fantasy fanboy I wanted that "Badass spiky-haired young guy that wields a huge sword with ease". Then I found Ike.

His pros outweigh the cons nowadays in my opinion, and I no longer feel comfortable maining anyone else on the roster. Plus Ike still appeals to me as a fun and interesting characters.

I switched to Marth a few times in the past. I am a Fire Emblem fanboy so it came easy. I still use Marth for fun on occasion, but Ike is the character for me.

Nope. Marth would've probably got me on my state PRs more quickly, but I regret nothing and I'm glad I stuck it out.

Ike is a blast to use in doubles, granted you know what you're doing because you can easily make the mistake of killing your teammate if you're not careful. Props to Nysyarc for doing such a great job in teams with Ike and inspiring me to do the same.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace

Ness :ness2:

No.

He got me a few wins in melee, so I used what worked for me.

Because the first time I attended a tourney outside of the small town I live in, I got slapped... Hard. I made an oath to never give up this character and to win at least one tourney using only ness. One reason for a player's loss is not the character. The main reason would be the person's skill level. Making a fighting game in which any character isn't able to beat another character in the game makes no sense, at least to me. I've used ness so much that I love the way I can play with him. I grown to prefer his moveset and mechanics, because it matches my playstyle, and I think that the better player will always find a way to win.

Nope! He's become a part of me :ness:

Rayquaza07

Smash Ace
Lol BSP it is personal opinion who I consider a "bad character" and I'm not rly trolling XD

AzureKirby

Smash Rookie
I`m a dedicated Kirby main, even in Melee ( Poor, poor Kirby:c)

What bad char do you play as?
Kirby , but I don´t consider him bad as that is reserved for Jiggs, Ganon ( most epic villain ever) and R.O.B

What do you consider bad about him?
He´s light like a sheet of paper, his Specials are rather slow and predictable, he lacks some kind of projectile and he has a short grab range

Reasons for using Kirby:
- His Smashes are strong and have some good reach
- Inhaling may solve his Projectile issue
- I always found Kirby cuddly -->Not because he is pink ( I´m a girl), but hugging a soft, marshmallowy puffball would be nice
- to prove that pink can be awesome ( He´s got maximum pink! Kirby, Kirby, Kirby the one!)

I continued to use Kirby despite his flaws, even as some people actually laughed at me for using " a ****** puffball". And I never regretted my decision: I´ve caught quite a lot people off- guard because they underestimated me ( All people think Stone-spam...). Same for my Meta ( they think about Nado spam)

D

Deleted member 189823

It's true that it would be nice to hug a marshmallow puffball.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Luigi
He's got a couple awful matchups against overplayed characters that make him unviable as a main.
A Luigi cpu 3 stocked my Diddy Kong which I had been playing in tourney for a year and never lost in pools with. I figured out that Luigi would be worth a try.
I alternate secondaries between him and Marth. They cover the same matchups for Diddy so I just pick randomly who's gonna be my secondary of the day when I launch the game.
I haven't stopped, but he used to be my main so I used to play him a lot more. And then I took a Metaknight in the matchup.
I would destroy that CPU's face.
Why didn't a MK cpu 3 stock me ?

SoulPech

Smash Master

snake

His recovery is easily readable offstage, he can get cged by d3 falco etc, he loses/goes even with mus outside of top tier, and his higher learning curve and the fact that making mistaes with him offstage= huge % or death make him a char not rly worth picking up compared to others that are easier to lrn and better

Started using him on AIB wifi ladder my 1st season and found he was a lot of fun to play as

He is fun to use and has the most unique moveset compared to any1 in the whole cast imo

5. I havent switched from maining him yet and dont plan to
I believe the purpose of this thread is for bad characters, not characters that are amazing/great, but have some flaws.

:phone:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Lol BSP it is personal opinion who I consider a "bad character" and I'm not rly trolling XD
While it may be your opinion that Snake is a bad character, the fact of the matter is that he isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, even with a high learning curve. If that was the case, then the same could be said about Melee's Fox.

Snake may have flaws, but his strengths really do outshine them; his fast and powerful tilts, having the most projectiles, having field control because of projectiles, great hitboxes, a fantastic tech-chase in his Dthrow, I could go on. When you add it all up, it can be universally agreed that - opinions aside - Snake is not a bad character by any stretch of the imagination.

P.I.E.

Smash Ace
Maybe the character was a challenge for him as a player, not the character itself. Every character has weaknesses; and so do the players that use them. That's how losing happens...

leave his snake. The definition of a bad character shouldnt be assumed as a low tier character, it should be a character that you're bad with and why it's been an obstacle for you.

A player's playstyle may not always work well with the character they use (as absurd as that sounds) but if someone has an idea of how they want to play, they may not realize that the character they're choosing to use isn't the character to use with that playstyle... Just saying.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I suppose it does come down to perspective. Though, being a Snake main, wouldn't he have an easier time with him by now? Unless he's speaking from early experience and/or doesn't play often.

Top Bottom