• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Bowser such an unpopular character choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
As long as you're not playing someone who actually ***** Bowser, 9 times out of 10 you're gonna do pretty well because they don't know jack about handling him. Even regardless of that he's still pretty good, but whatever. Let those who want to use him come. Those who don't... <.<

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I disagree with everything I'm about to say and I think it's opposite. And this has been mentally stuck in people's minds since the first SSB.
People don't look at the "bigger" character as a good character in the first place which is a big mistake. Then people rely off of that and they'll pick another character that they like best..and it continues on from there, and that's where Bowser's misrepresentation comes in. As I always say, Any character us good if you know how to use them.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Bowser is unpopular because he isn't that impressive in any way shape or form, and he isn't that good. I know there are great bowsers, but the truth is he is a fat *** turtle who no one really likes. He can be fun, but you can't just pick him up and expect to win. In general, you can't expect to win with bowser at all, and that drives people away. Why pick up a character that will be hard to win with? A person who knows the matchup against bowser can generally beat him if they are at least as skilled as the bowser.

Oh, and there is the whole group of peeps who say Bowser=slow.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Bowser is unpopular because he isn't that impressive in any way shape or form, and he isn't that good. I know there are great bowsers, but the truth is he is a fat *** turtle who no one really likes. He can be fun, but you can't just pick him up and expect to win. In general, you can't expect to win with bowser at all, and that drives people away. Why pick up a character that will be hard to win with? A person who knows the matchup against bowser can generally beat him if they are at least as skilled as the bowser.

Oh, and there is the whole group of peeps who say Bowser=slow.
lol, this is such BS.

Of course you can't just "pick him up and expect to win", because he's not Olimar. Altough you just have to know the basic things about Bowser to be decent with him (upB OoS, grab release things, using side B more (as damage racker), jab-> sideB, grab, good spacing, ...). And yes you can expect to win with him. Bowser is not bad, only against some Charakters (Dedede, Falco?, Olimar? and maybe others Idk...). If they are at least as skilled as the Bowser... of course they can win?!, but it's not for sure. Even if they know the matchup.

Bowser is just really underrated. And he's not much slower compared to the others. This is Brawl, not Melee. There aren't that many fast Characters. Only a few are (Sonic, ZSS, MK, Diddy and a few others)...

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Bowser's underrated because he's fat, can't fly, lacks a hammer and can't grab people continuously with some type of follow up... oh wait.
Hey now. Keep your voice down. I hear grab shenanigans not too far away from here.

shuttle loop'd.

EDIT: Bowser :sonic: - You're too slooohooooow

Daffy

Smash Rookie
I see lots of people saying bowsers slow nobody who's played my Bowser can say that. Unfortunatly yes bowser is easy to combo off so learn to shield grab like a DDD, he's got he reach required. I've figure out a weird way to edge guard fairly well, depends on character im playing agaisnt. But I ain't talking Bowser haters figure. Besides I get bored playing high tier characters when you play a character that you should just be for fun than switch to any of the others its like wow im not impressed with anyone anymore.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Reasons:
  • He's too F**king BIG!!!!
  • Slow
  • Easy to combo
  • Big target
  • easily punishable
And more...
I'm sorry, but this post stuck out. Okay genius, "He's too ****ing BIG!!!!, easy to combo, and big target" are the same thing....-_-

GreenFox

Smash Ace
Hes hard to play as and against some character match ups its really almost impossible to win.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
More people should play Bowser hes really fun to play as Im tired of watching tournaments and seeing MK VS. Snake Its starting to become tedious and not original has there ever been a Bowser to win a tournament or at least come second?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
A Bowser has definitely won "a tournament" before, lol. A tournament that mattered, like a regional of sorts? Maybe...I'm not particularly sure. A tournament of Genesis' stature? No, probably not.

My Cat Owns

Smash Apprentice
A Bowser has definitely won "a tournament" before, lol. A tournament that mattered, like a regional of sorts? Maybe...I'm not particularly sure. A tournament of Genesis' stature? No, probably not.
I think he's saying it's exciting to see a boozer come out on top of people like MK and falco in a tourney; as rare as it may be.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I won the equivalent of a small state tournament. Which is also 6 months late metagame-wise.

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
There is a tourney this saturday and im going all out with bowzer!!! Will have vids eventually, of course after the putb them on youtube. Might take a while though

NatP

Smash Ace
Bowser is a unpopular character choice, because most people think "Why should I play bowser, when I can use Snake and meta and get better results at tournaments?" The sad, sad truth. :/

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but when playing against a bowser, i always feel 'He's massive, he's easy to hit, and i can combo him easily'

It just makes me feel like he's a sitting duck, thus why i wouldn't want to play him.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Massive? Bowser is big and fat, which is awesome.
Easy to hit? Well maybe, but he also has quite the awesome defensive game. In the right hands he's suprisingly agile, too.
Combo easily? This is Brawl, son :p

scorekid100

Smash Apprentice
because gimpy plays sheik now and djn doesn't play brawl=) jk
probably because everyone has that friend who plays falco, or pit, or diddy. It really is too bad considering how fun to play he is.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
because gimpy plays sheik now and djn doesn't play brawl=) jk
probably because everyone has that friend who plays falco, or pit, or diddy. It really is too bad considering how fun to play he is.
OBJECTION.

Subjective points are no points at all. :pimp:

On topic:

As bowser isn't captain falcon.

Or MK.

:falcon:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Meh, it's just hard to figure out Bowser's strong points if you're new to the competitive scene. Once you know a lot about frame data, autocancels, and spacing... THEN you can start being good with Bowser, and realize he's actually quite decent.

just the learning curve, there are plenty of characters like that

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I agree with choknater. Sheik, Fox and Wolf are similar cases.

Furthermore, he doesn't do THAT bad against Pit and especially Falco.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Lol @ Someone thinking the Bowser Falco MU is bad. -_-

But choknater won this thread page lol, Bowser's learning curve isn't a joke man. You will lose often in the beginning until you see what Bowser can do, and what he can't quite work with. Only people who really REALLY strive to be skilled with Bowser and have a passion for using him will try to take him in hand and become good with Bowser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom