• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Bowser such an unpopular character choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
A) People don't like getting combod so much
B) People think of the stigma of how Bowser is in Melee
C) Bowser never had his own game to pick up fans like a lot of other mid or low or even bottom tiers do.

B!squick

Smash Master
It doesn't help that he's protrayed as border line loveable in the Mario RPGs in a "ha ha, oh Bowser..." sort of way.

This compared to the coolness that, say, Ganon exudes from every pore on his body?

B!squick

Smash Master
I know the real reason. His hands are bigger, which means...

... Exactly. And not enough women/gays play Brawl and the straight men all feel... inadequate.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
I remember Bowser being trash in Melee, that's why I didn't pick him up in Brawl till now.

And now that I did, I love that Koopa more than anything :chuckle:

I agree on the bad*** factor though. Bowser's not shown like that than other bad boys like Ganon, Wolf, etc.

B!squick

Smash Master
Wolf's an anti-hero though from what I've heard. Bowser is sorta the same way, except more as comic relief. I still remember Super Mario RPG. "You have joined the Koopa Troop." Ha ha, oh Bowser...

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Not sure why, after playing Spadefox's Bowser, I decided to try him more. He's insanely fun to use.
I'm gonna play Bowser a lot more, and learn nearly everything I can to improve the big guy. I might even consider swapping Mario for Bowser... but don't tell anyone.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Bottom of mid tier, not straight forward, not a main character. People are quick to remember he's easy to combo at low %s but always forget being the heaviest character in the game makes up for it.

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
People dont know what true beauty is. Who wouldn't love a 10 ton turtle/dragon with spikes on his shell and a grudge issue with plumbers. anyhow its a plus for us because very few smashers in this world have bowser experience
Firebreath=****!!!

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Because his looks aren't appealing, because his Melee-performance haunts him (which shouldn't be a problem unless you're an ignorant fool), he's slow (that's what they THINK), because his playstyle is very different than that of most fighters....that's about it I guess, but I like him anyway, and you have to admit, he was pretty badass in Super Mario Galaxy (or at least more badass than in previous games) and he looks VERY badass in Brawl imo.

MrEh

Smash Hero
A lot of newer players don't like Bowser because he is apparently horrible when you first pick him up.

At the lowest levels of play, characters like Bowser are the worst. And Ike is god.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Because they are not manly enough to play Bowser.
Seriously, he scares them away from the controller. It's like he's saying "DON'T PICK ME YOU LITTLE..!"

=)@MePlz

Smash Apprentice
People dont know what true beauty is. Who wouldn't love a 10 ton turtle/dragon with spikes on his shell and a grudge issue with plumbers. anyhow its a plus for us because very few smashers in this world have bowser experience
Firebreath=****!!!
Sorry, but WOLF IS MOAR BAD***!

I do use Bowser for friendlies. He's not good enough for competitive play. *gets ready for Bowser fanboys*

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
No. Bowser has one of the best aerial mobilties in the game, is averagely fast on the ground, and his attack speed is comparable with Snake's in pretty much every regard. Bowser is not only FSmash, y'know.

And if Bowser is easily punishable, you're playing him wrong.

Beren Zaiga

Smash Ace
No. Bowser has one of the best aerial mobilties in the game, is averagely fast on the ground, and his attack speed is comparable with Snake's in pretty much every regard. Bowser is not only FSmash, y'know.

And if Bowser is easily punishable, you're playing him wrong.
Think you can tell me what I am doing wrong then? I am getting ***** in friendly matches with others. Bowser is my current while Lucario is my secondary.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Look, I never said he isn't punishable at all. He's not God. But I said he's not EASILY punishable, if you use the correct attacks. If you retreat Fortress to a ledge, or are able to knock your enemy away with it, you can't be punished in its cooldown. If you ledgebomb, you can't be punished in its cooldown. FTilt, Jab and FAir are pretty much unpunishable because they're so fast.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Ohh lol. Idk, I love using Bowser...I don't think he's simple...I personally think he isn't the DEEPEST character in the game, but I enjoy playing him [Grab releases, OoS games and KoopaHopping/Dropping :D]

But I think Bowser is an unpopular choice because [wasn't this in another board post already, like "Why no one likes Bowser" or something] But because of what Bowser IS. We already said he isn't the nicest thing to look at, and he is the bad guy in a lot of games. But that's social stuff. Brawl-wise, it could be because of his tier placement, and his...Melee status. -_-

People should at least just give him a try...he's not the same Bowser as he was before...but I suppose some people are just ignorant, eh?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
the funny thing is people i verse see me choose bowser then go falcon.i usually 3 stock them then unless they actually r good falcons(not many r good falcons because falcon fails).also the infinite jump makes 50% people scared to attack,30% dumb enough to shield on the ground,and the other 20% actually know how to beat it.i have actually seen many bowser mains.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
People seriously just dont think much of bowser. They figure he's big so he's slow, or they just prefer maining top and high tier characters. I personally got nothing against the guy, he's really fun to use and theres always all sorts of weird stuff that goes down with bowser.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
He is physically repulsive
The boards are quite dead
He still has big/comboable/slow image
He is an unpopular villain. Everyone is always like 'time to kick Bowsers ***'
His F-smash looks cool but never hits

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur ***** him lol.

Also, why main Bowser if you have Chapzard? At least Chapzard can switch to Ivy and Squirtle for more versitality and fun.

But I think that Bowser is unpopulair because people don't like him as a character (Ganondorf gets all the attention as the bad guy) and they think that he is useless. Maybe he is lol I don't know but in Melee he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom