• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which gen is the best gen?

Which gen is the best gen?

• Gen I

Votes: 34 24.3%
  • Gen II

Votes: 50 35.7%
  • Gen III

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Gen IV

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • and just for the sillies, Gen V

Votes: 13 9.3%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

2nd Gen stands as my favorite. I liked many of the Pokemon there, and has so many memories.

1st or 3rd are a close second though.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
People are just really loving the ways which the new games are breaking the mold, I guess, like having a female professor, older protagonists, triple battles, etc etc.

Plus, the new stuff introduced in Gen. IV is stuff they didn't like.

UberMario

Smash Master
I find it hilarious that Gen 5 is beating (though barely) Gen 4 despite the fact that it hasn't even been released yet.
The ten or so pokemon revealed so far easily beat most of Gen IV's designs, plus the new features announced sound great.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Gen. IV better stay in last. I would've voted for B / W too, honestly, if I were given two choices.

From what we currently know, it's gonna be a blast.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm also very excited for B/W, and I have a feeling it will meet or maybe even exceed expectations.

It's just funny because we haven't even played the game yet and some jokesters are already labeling Gen 5 as their favorite generation, but I guess that's just hype in action.

Sex Robot

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gen 1 was the pioneer for all the following seeeeeeex.

Without Red and Blue, you wouldn't be able to pull out your D/P on your DS and get doooooooooooown.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Why hello ClownRobot clone, how are you today?

Gen III, while great with the addition of abilities, more new pokemon, and other competative value, I couldn't really get into it that much. Maybe it's me, but there seemed to be to much of a gimick when getting into it. Pokemon contests, weird designs (I do admit, some of the designs are freakin' awesome). In R/S/E, the rival was a joke, too much sea trave. and there were too many "jump the shark" kind of pokemon. Milotic, Salamance, Metagross, ect. (at this point, you're probably thinking 'Garchomp', and yes, you are right. Probably Steelix and Blissy too. Blissy has erratic defense, and Steelix had a bad movepool at that point. I just felt some of the new additions were over the top, I'll get to Gen IV in a moment. All in all, gen III is right at #3, so says me.

Gen V, well, so far it looks good, right? #5 until it's released.

Happy days, HAPPY DAYS!!! Well, a little from that when experiencing Gen IV. I'll go with the obvious first, too many legendaries, 'Garchomp', crappy wifi, ect. The physical / special split was pretty cool, and much more useful. Evolution lines seemed a bit tampered, and the new additional pokemon seemed overall funky. I'll talor this gen as #4

Nostalgia and the birthplace of it all, Gen I has a good place in my heart. I'll be short from here and say it's #2.

And finally, Gen II is my favorite, IMO.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Generation I because Red was my first handheld game (or even my first video game in general...can't really remember). It had the whole missingno glitch. Also, it has Snorlax in it. Mewtwo is still my favorite legendary after all these years. Generation II comes in second though. Heracross is also awesome, and Pichu is my favorite egg Pokemon. Not to mention we could travel between two regions.

Janne

Smash Journeyman
I'd have to say it was Gen III for me. That's when they introduced pokemon contests, a bunch of new moves, and Milotic. There are lots of things I like from each generation like the bug catching contest, Eevee's new evolution, riding a boat, and Delibird from Gen II and in Gen IV, I'm happy they improved the contests. There are alot of pokemon I came to like in Gen IV.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I picked Gen IV because I like using Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus in a double battle. Also I like the female main character. =3

II Gen come's next to me.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
In terms of favorite Pokemon (Chansey) I'd say Generation 1.
However, I'm a huge fan of the Gold/Silver/Crystal games as well as that area explored on the show. So I'm sort of split.

Generation 3 was meh. I have no memory of any Pokemon names on Gen 4, literally. And 5.... are they really making another one...? Lol.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Oh, it's this debate again.

I'm just saying gen II because it reminds me of the countless hours of playing with my cousin in the summertime, trading scizors and blisseys, beating 1337 4, GETTING TO ANOTHER ****ING GAME and beating red. All with cloned pokémons obv.

It was best because it had 2 games in one.

III was good as well, deserves credit. Got me trough a whole summer with Blaziken.

Gen I is too good for me to vote, it trips me nostalgia. Thinking back to when my mom got me this really expensive gameboy pocket (we didn't have all the money in the world at the time) with Pokémon red for me AND blue for my brother. I still have those games here and cherish them dearly. Man, I would love to keep those games till I'm 80, and then look back at them. Maybe I can find a gameboy and die from a nostalgia-attack.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Gen 3 is my favorite. I felt that it had the most to do after you beat the game, even more than Gen 2; playing through Kanto wasn't anything special, seeing as how I had already played through it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
My order goes something like this...

1: Generation III
2: Generation I
3: Generation IV
4: Generation II

I never played the first generation. Even then, sure it had SOME crative designs and pokemon, but there were several that were just...

Generation II. I also think it was full of misfits. The only good thing I feel it brought was the inclusion of Kanto. It was the smallest group of pokemon, and very few of them were very... good. I even feel Hitmontop was sort of a stretch.

Generation IV. It had very few things added, but it did have a few merits to it. It had the ability to look at a map with the Poketch, without going to a menu and out again. As well, it did have SOME cool pokemon. I felt it was nice that they made a male counterpart to Gallade, and a ghost/ice type.

Generation III. This generation, to me, was amazing. It was somewhere totally new, with a lot of new and interesting pokemon. Sure, it has my second least favorite water starter ever made, but its typing was awesome.

Generation V is giving me the same feeling generation III gave me. I'd say, if it keeps looking this good, it'll become my second favorite.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Hm!! This is very very tough! I really loved Gen 1-3. I loved 2, I loved 1, and I loved 3! Lol. So maybe it'll be in that order? But they're all so very close! 3 was me becoming a teenager and I understood things a bit more, and I had the most hours on it. But 1-2 were my childhood and were still really fun. Ah~ Maybe 2, 3/1 tie.
This is game, anime, etc.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
And 5.... are they really making another one...? Lol.
Are they really making another final fantasy?
ARe they really making another zelda?
Are they really making another Donkey Kong?
Are tehy really making another Mario?
Are they really making another Batman?
Are they really making another Superman?
Are they really making another Team Ico game?
Are they really making another Street Fighter?
Are they really making another King of fighters?
Are they really making another Tekken?
Are they really making another No More Heroes?
Are they really making another Naqasi movie?
Are they really making another Smash Brothers?
Are they really making another Airbender series?
Are they really making another Testement to the Holy Bibal?
Are they really making another baby?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Funny how more people like a gen that hasn't even revealed all its information yet than gen 4 XD
Generation 4 had two major issues:

Too many of its pokemon were legendaries.
Too few of its pokemon were original. (They were evolutions or prevos)

Aside from that, it did have its good stuff. It wasn't as bad as 2nd gen, but it was far from the best.

Majority

Smash Journeyman
I've gotta go with Gen 3, with Gen 1 as a very close second.

Gen 2 used to be my favorite gen until I got into competitive Pokemon. Gen 2 brought Blissey and Skarmory into existence, and I could never forgive it for that.

majora_787

Smash Hero
:\ I honestly have no clue how so many people can like the second generation so much. I mean, sure, you can revisit Kanto for eight more gyms, and it is the source of the day/night feature...

But I feel like it had a very low level of creativity with its pokemon. I mean, after playing Soul Silver, a few have grown on me, but really I only ever liked Houndoom, Forretress, Scizor, Steelix, and Gligar. Lugia and Ho-Oh were cool as well.

So that's 7% of the 2nd generation that I found appealing. I honestly feel disappointed by it. <_<

UberMario

Smash Master
It introduced breeding, time, animations (Crystal only), happiness levels, different sprites in both Gold and Silver aswell as different pokedex entries, battling the R/B/Y protagonist and rival, and going to Kanto, plus it balanced the typing out more than Gen I (not to mention way better sprites and color). All of those make up for the lacking number of new pokemon lines.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
It introduced breeding, time, animations (Crystal only), happiness levels, different sprites in both Gold and Silver aswell as different pokedex entries, battling the R/B/Y protagonist and rival, and going to Kanto, plus it balanced the typing out more than Gen I (not to mention way better sprites and color). All of those make up for the lacking number of new pokemon lines.
Plus, I forgot where I read this, but GF was also not going to continue the series after G/S (hell, I don't think they were gonna continue after R/B either), but popular demand got to them.

That's more than enough of an excuse to not put in more pokemon.

Pokemon Trainer1

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe you guys!! No gens are better than 2 and 4!! how could someone even vote for 5!! The pokemon are just a remake! I mean, come on!! There's a Magneton that has gears instead or orbs...DOES THAT MAKE IT SO COOL??!!!

UberMario

Smash Master
how could someone even vote for 5!! The pokemon are just a remake! I mean, come on!! There's a Magneton that has gears instead or orbs...DOES THAT MAKE IT SO COOL??!!!
You're upset because you believe the Gen V pokemon are blatant remakes, yet you love Gen IV? lolwut

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
What the hell do you people even mean by remakes?

If you mean by originality, tell me a pokemon in gen V that's completely unoriginal by gen I standards or something

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Generation 2 was the best. I spent so much time on Gold and Silver and Pokemon Stadium 2.

Generation 3 I hate because it made Training Pokemon to get good stats a....... what's that term again?

Edit: Oh, a Guide Dang it (I'm referring to the EV CAP).

No explanation in game beyond an effort ribbon.

I didn't use internet back then so when I did get a chance to use it and learned the truth it annoyed me to the point where I stopped playing Pokemon altoghether until HG and SS came out.

I know how it works now, but seriously, why the lack of a thorough in game explanation of an important change???????

/rant

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Um...EVs were never explained in-game in the first place. Why would they explain the changed system of them? EVs and IVs are supposed to be behind-the-scenes things which affect stats to create varied stats for different Pokémon. The reason you had to go on the internet to discover a change in the system is Game Freak didn't intend for EVs to be known about in the first place.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Um...EVs were never explained in-game in the first place. Why would they explain the changed system of them? EVs and IVs are supposed to be behind-the-scenes things which affect stats to create varied stats for different Pokémon. The reason you had to go on the internet to discover a change in the system is Game Freak didn't intend for EVs to be known about in the first place.
Well, this is what we get with all them hackers running around right?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
current gen battle wise was the best because the physical/special set made more pokemon viable and expanded the metagame a lot.

in-game wise g/s/e was boss

Top Bottom