• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which gen is the best gen?

Which gen is the best gen?

• Gen I

Votes: 34 24.3%
  • Gen II

Votes: 50 35.7%
  • Gen III

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Gen IV

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • and just for the sillies, Gen V

Votes: 13 9.3%

• Total voters

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
It's not that it sucks, it's just that people ignore the positive qualities and pick the other games.
Competitively, either Gen III or Gen IV win hands down. A lot of good stuff came with those generations, mostly Gen III. But I didn't really enjoy either of them as much as I did Gen II. They're good games though.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Yo TRG, it's possible for people to like the newer games. If we go by gameplay, then it's in order of 4 -> 3 -> 2 -> 1.
Haha you obviously don't know me at all if you think I rate games purely based on nostalgia.

Gen 4 simply wasn't fun when compared to the other 3. The Pokemon were some of the worst we've had yet (Arceus and Regigigas fail hard) and the region wasn't as fun to explore (I had 3x more fun exploring the Johto region in Soul Silver).

I have legit reasons to rate Gen 4 as my least favorite generation, so don't assume I'm just playing the nostalgia card.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Haha you obviously don't know me at all if you think I rate games purely based on nostalgia.

Gen 4 simply wasn't fun when compared to the other 3. The Pokemon were some of the worst we've had yet (Arceus and Regigigas fail hard) and the region wasn't as fun to explore (I had 3x more fun exploring the Johto region in Soul Silver).

I have legit reasons to rate Gen 4 as my least favorite generation, so don't assume I'm just playing the nostalgia card.
Probably because you grew up. It's not that the games got worse, or the Pokemon were bad. You enjoyed Soul Silver because it remade the gen you played as a kid. It's okay though, it's generally been accepted that everyone has the same list you do. I'll just continue to avoid conversations like this because it only reminds me of the Sonic community. "Anything new is bad!11"

Just saying, you guys have higher standards and the new games didn't live up to your expectations. It's hard to please people and I would feel bad for Game Freak if they didn't screw over some Pokemon.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Lol @ how everybody hates gen 4. What? No love for the Phat Crew?
Hey now. I'm the one that rants about Sinnoh's obesity. Back off, Roach D=.

Gliscor was the best thing GenIV brought, and one poke doesn't make a generation.

^ Oh my gawd it's Mew2King.

Wrath`

Smash Master
GenII, Well it was my first pokemon game, and I remember putting 300+ hours into it. It was just a magical game back in my kid days.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Probably because you grew up. It's not that the games got worse, or the Pokemon were bad. You enjoyed Soul Silver because it remade the gen you played as a kid. It's okay though, it's generally been accepted that everyone has the same list you do. I'll just continue to avoid conversations like this because it only reminds me of the Sonic community. "Anything new is bad!11"

Just saying, you guys have higher standards and the new games didn't live up to your expectations. It's hard to please people and I would feel bad for Game Freak if they didn't screw over some Pokemon.
I actually disagree with this. Gen 5 is looking amazing, and Zekrom MIGHT be my favorite legendary of all time. I can already tell from the pre-release Pokemon that Gen 5 will step all over Gen 4 and maybe 3 too!

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Well, so do we. So don't try and 'correct' us if we don't choose the answer that you want.

What was so great about Gen. II anyway guys? It seriously doesn't look much better gameplay wise aside from the obvious Psychic balancing than Red and Blue.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
These results are actually surprising to me. I thought the majority of the PokeCenter would have enjoyed the first two generations much more than the later ones. Aside from Spire I don't remember anyone stating they liked Hoenn a ton.

Learn somethin' new everyday. :)

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ahh. Well there you go.
How come Roacherman made this a private poll? *Dislike*
Errrr... this is like my first poll so I screwed up, but by the next poll I'll have it fixed

I enjoyed gen 2 more for several reasons. First and foremost, it has Celebi. Second, you get to play in 2 regions. Third, Amphy is boss. Fourth, Goldenrod is also boss. Fifth, it has Espeon and Umbreon. Sixth, they still hadn't screwed up the Togepi line. Seventh, I love the god**** music in the game. Finally, gen 2 was where I got my first Pokemon game

Enough reasons for ya?

Moozle

Smash Champion
Hoenn has always been my favorite, even though I've played gens I and II way more due to the nostalgia factor.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Gen II just has too many memories, as well as my favorite Pokemon in it. However, Hoenn does get special mention since it was just way too easy to plow through it with a hyper-leveled Swampert, especially since it laughs at every single trainer in the game.

Come to think of it, I think that Gen I and Gen IV were the only two I was unable to just plow through with a single Pokemon. I don't know why, but I was unable to actually do it. Gen II and III, I just used Feraligatr/Swampert and destroyed everything.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I don't know why, but I was unable to actually do it. Gen II and III, I just used Feraligatr/Swampert and destroyed everything.
Looooool, that reminds me of my Sceptile in Sapphire. I plowed through the entire game with my Sceptile and the only reason I caught some more pokemon was because I needed some pokemon capable of being able to be used as decoys while I fed my Sceptile Revives like hell. (and they were crappy pokemon too like Aggron :laugh:)

Also, there is ONE criticism I will give gen 2. Morty's gym. When I was little, I had NO IDEA that there was an invisible path to take, I thought that the game was glitched up. I ended up overleveling my pokemon to level 60 (lolLakeofRagepokemon) before I lost my game and I never knew that how to get past that till years later

They seriously messed up with the fact that little kids play the game and it's too hard for them >_>. I mean, I know this kid who has Platinum and he was the age I was when I had Silver, and he completed the whole game by himself. Hell, he even knew what those extra functions did.

rockem7

Smash Ace
(and they were crappy pokemon too like Aggron :laugh:)
This statement lost you like 10 respect points.

I can't honestly decide which generation I like the most, because I believe they all had something new and different to offer, making them all equally fun in my eyes.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I am disappointed with gen 3 beating gen 1.
Me and you both bro. I don't understand it. lol
While I agree with this statement, you have to remember the qualities Gen. III brought to Pokemon.

Aesthetically - Some Pokemon from Gen. III were pretty great design-wise. I have no idea what the most common favorites are but I personally enjoyed Blaziken and Sharpedo a lot along with others. The Hoenn region was pretty nice. While one could argue to overuse of waterways, that's what the region was. Hoenn was also extremely diverse - cities, towns, forests, desert, mountains, and ocean. Neither Kanto or Johto had all those themes combined.

Competitively - Hoenn brought natures, adding more flavor to the competitive side of Pokemon. Hoenn also brought Salamence, our friendly neighborhood suspect. If you play Ubers, two of the most influential Pokemon derive from Hoenn: Kyogre and Groudon. Kyogre's usage speaks for itself, being called the "King of Ubers."

There are more, but those listed are viable reasons why some people prefer Gen. III over Gen. I.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Gardevoir and Blaziken. Number one reason right there.

Oh wait, excuse me...

I meant FEMALE Gardevoir and Blaziken.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Why do so many people seem to have a Gardevoir fetish? It's almost like a sex idol in a way in the Pokemon community...

WHY???
I think it is less of the fetish than it is the "WTF a guy wearing a dress?" It was confusing as to how there could be male Gardevoir, while a similar Pokemon Jynx could only be female. This was somewhat remedied with the introduction Gallade, but you can still get a male Gardevoir.

UberMario

Smash Master
I think it is less of the fetish than it is the "WTF a guy wearing a dress?"
This, 10 times this.

I don't know why they didn't branch it at ralts, kirlia looks too feminine aswell, have you ever seen a boy in a tutu in reallife?

UberMario

Smash Master
Boys still don't wear tutus though . . . . even though ballet is for both genders, dresses are not.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
And this is where public polls should have came in. We could have found out who the one vote for Gen. IV was and ridiculed asked them about their choice. Insightful stuff, I hope.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I think it is less of the fetish than it is the "WTF a guy wearing a dress?" It was confusing as to how there could be male Gardevoir, while a similar Pokemon Jynx could only be female. This was somewhat remedied with the introduction Gallade, but you can still get a male Gardevoir.
Well I guess this could also apply to female Machamp.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I'd say Gen I because IMO, after that, they began to make the new pokemon less cute and slowly became more uncreative.

Top Bottom