• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which gen is the best gen?

Which gen is the best gen?

• Gen I

Votes: 34 24.3%
  • Gen II

Votes: 50 35.7%
  • Gen III

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Gen IV

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • and just for the sillies, Gen V

Votes: 13 9.3%

• Total voters

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Um...EVs were never explained in-game in the first place. Why would they explain the changed system of them? EVs and IVs are supposed to be behind-the-scenes things which affect stats to create varied stats for different Pokémon. The reason you had to go on the internet to discover a change in the system is Game Freak didn't intend for EVs to be known about in the first place.
What bothered me was the change in the system in the third generation which I feel is completely unecessary. In Generations 1 and 2, you didn't need to know what they were to get thee best stats since there was no universal cap. You had to know IVs, which are hinted in game, and depending on the level, the box trick, which is also easy to figure out. How they expected you to learn how to learn, cope with the universal cap is a bit of a mystery.
A big part of the problem is that it requires you to only battle certain pokes and avoid others.

tl;dr If they are supposed to be behind the scenes, why did they make knowing about EVs a must for great stats in generation 3 and onward???

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Adds more strategy to the game, not having Max in every stat makes you have to think about how you want to train your Pokemon.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Personally :falco: i prefer GEN 2
I still have no idea how anyone could like Generation 2.

I can totally get Generation 1, but how people can love Generation 2 and hate Generation 3 is beyond me: So I decided, those people must have just gotten confused and switched the numbers. =P

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well, if it wasn't clear enough in the previous posts, let me explain it to you now

Gen 2 brought day/night changes, 150 new pokemon (it was 150 right?), Shiny pokemon, breeding, Celebi (that's my personal opinion there), etc.

Just because you believe that the generation was filled with misfits, it doesn't mean that everybody else thinks they're misfits as well. I mean, I personally love every pokemon that gen 2 brought. I loved Politoed, Slowking, Celebi, Lugia, Entei, Mantine, Skarmory, Smeargle, Scizor and even more when I had the game.

Plus, gen 2 brings back a lot of happy memories of people who are around my age. When I was little, we didn't have Pokemon Red or Blue. Instead we were stuck with Pokemon Gold and Silver. To people around my age, Pokemon G/S is like what Pokemon R/B was to people who were even old enough to remember gen 1. You know what I mean? People who are 18 or so now, remember the happy times they had with gen 1 and they're Pikachus and what not while a lot of people my age remember the happy memories that gen 2 brought to us with the new system changes.

If people my age will remember gen 3 as fondly as people remembered gen 1 & 2 I someday I have no idea, but majora, there are a lot of different factors that could lead somebody to love gen 2. Just because you think that the pokemon were meh, it doesn't mean that other people don't love them

UberMario

Smash Master
Gen II only brought 100 pokemon, not 150.

But shiny Pokemon, breeding, time, balance, better graphics, and a much larger soundtrack made for a great game, not to mention you can go to two different regions.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, if it wasn't clear enough in the previous posts, let me explain it to you now

Gen 2 brought day/night changes, 150 new pokemon (it was 150 right?), Shiny pokemon, breeding, Celebi (that's my personal opinion there), etc.

Just because you believe that the generation was filled with misfits, it doesn't mean that everybody else thinks they're misfits as well. I mean, I personally love every pokemon that gen 2 brought. I loved Politoed, Slowking, Celebi, Lugia, Entei, Mantine, Skarmory, Smeargle, Scizor and even more when I had the game.

Plus, gen 2 brings back a lot of happy memories of people who are around my age. When I was little, we didn't have Pokemon Red or Blue. Instead we were stuck with Pokemon Gold and Silver. To people around my age, Pokemon G/S is like what Pokemon R/B was to people who were even old enough to remember gen 1. You know what I mean? People who are 18 or so now, remember the happy times they had with gen 1 and they're Pikachus and what not while a lot of people my age remember the happy memories that gen 2 brought to us with the new system changes.

If people my age will remember gen 3 as fondly as people remembered gen 1 & 2 I someday I have no idea, but majora, there are a lot of different factors that could lead somebody to love gen 2. Just because you think that the pokemon were meh, it doesn't mean that other people don't love them
Okay, day/night changes. That's one plus. It was 100, making it the smallest generation ever. I'd call that a minus. Take off Celebi, Politoed, and Smeargle... replace them with Houndoom, Forretress, and Steelix. Those are the only pokemon I liked in that generation. I consider that a minus.

And you know, I started with Silver Version myself. It does get the nostalgia point, but that still leaves it with zero in my book. =/ It holds a special place on my game shelf for being the first pokemon game I ever owned, and it introduced the ever-so-cool day and night system. It also introduced two new types that I like a lot. However, the actual pokemon they supplied, and the fact that it added a toned-down Red/Green/Blue/Yellow adventure at the end wasn't doing it for me. Even if 16 badges WAS cool.

I just don't like it, and the memories aren't so much of the stuff the game brought: It's more of the experience that the game provided.

That's why I like generation 3 more, it's got the experience I enjoy with stuff that appeals to me. I don't like that it took out passing time though. =P

EDIT: My first shiny pokemon wasn't until Platinum. I guess in theory it's a plus, but it has nothing to do with me. =P Breeding is something I would like to learn about some time, and I do like the system of it. Graphics are null in video games: They're video GAMES, not video MOVIES. Soundtrack... honestly, I'll admit the soundtrack has gone downhill, but I never really listened to the games' soundtracks more than I had to.

And again, the second region was just a shell of Kanto with a necessary miniquest and eight gyms. The gyms were nice, but if it had been an ACTUAL ADVENTURE in Kanto, I would have enjoyed it more. It really never felt like that for me.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Okay, day/night changes. That's one plus. It was 100, making it the smallest generation ever. I'd call that a minus. Take off Celebi, Politoed, and Smeargle... replace them with Houndoom, Forretress, and Steelix. Those are the only pokemon I liked in that generation. I consider that a minus.
251 was like the perfect number for me. And if you saw my list of Pokemon that I liked from 2nd gen, you'd understand. And then if you added on my list of some of my favorite Pokemon from 1st gen, you'd also understand, because it just so happens that you can get a lot of them rather early on in the 2nd gen games. And this is the biggest selling point of the game to me. I can actually Nuzlocke a game like this (or HG/SS) and actually LIKE doing so, because I like most of the Pokemon in each area so much that I could give a **** less what I get, because I know I'm going to like it.

And you know, I started with Silver Version myself. It does get the nostalgia point, but that still leaves it with zero in my book. =/ It holds a special place on my game shelf for being the first pokemon game I ever owned, and it introduced the ever-so-cool day and night system. It also introduced two new types that I like a lot. However, the actual pokemon they supplied, and the fact that it added a toned-down Red/Green/Blue/Yellow adventure at the end wasn't doing it for me. Even if 16 badges WAS cool.
I started with Blue, but I always preferred Gold/Silver and part of me could care less about the RBY series because of that. And I never saw the toned-down RBYG adventure as an actual adventure of Kanto, per-say. I always just found it to be a "hey, look at how this place changes over two years" sort of thing. And I really appreciated the game for that.

That's why I like generation 3 more, it's got the experience I enjoy with stuff that appeals to me. I don't like that it took out passing time though. =P
I used to like 3rd gen, but for some weird reason I just simply can't play the games anymore. I try and I try, but it never works out. I get only so far in and then I get bored as hell. I've never really experienced that with GSC. Well...not until I did a solo Spinarak run-through. That was haunting, to say the least.

And again, the second region was just a shell of Kanto with a necessary miniquest and eight gyms. The gyms were nice, but if it had been an ACTUAL ADVENTURE in Kanto, I would have enjoyed it more. It really never felt like that for me.
I would have hated an actual adventure in Kanto. I prefer just having one adventure and then getting an extra, relatively big area added that I can just kinda explore whenever the hell I feel like it. And that's what Kanto felt like to me; even if it was supposed to be like a mini-quest.

Chico113

Smash Apprentice
No offence to anyone but the new generation kind of bores me. Pokemon gold and silver FTW

and i can't forget about crystal :)

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, I guess it's just because Generation 1 has virtually no nostalgia for me. Generation 2 does, for sure, but not quite enough for me to overlook the stuff I didn't like.

I do like that in HG and SS you can have 16 gym leaders sitting in a room and you can battle every last one of them again, that's nice.

But I don't like the Kanto addition, because there's nothing to really do there. I mean, I go there, and I get 8 badges which takes very little time. Alright, now I have 16 badges. ....Now I guess I leave and go back to Johto.

And the one drawback I always saw, IMO Generation 2 has the worst grass starter ever made. However, I think it had the best water starter.

And then, we get to generation 3. A lot of the pokemon appealed to me, there was other stuff to do other than gyms, it was a new experience outside of Johto or Kanto, and I think it had the best grass starter ever as well as the best fire starter.

That's just my thoughts on it though. If I ever had a gameboy, or if I ever played Red Blue or Yellow, I'm sure I would have liked the Johto adventure more.

EpicSandwich

Smash Rookie
I liked gen I. Not only because it is just the classic generation but it also brought about newer stuff that we now see in HG and SS. Such as walking around with pikachu. Also i like the cheesy pixelated pics they were funny and dragonite actually looked angry in his. Of course i cant forget all the glitch pokemon lol Missingno FTW and M'

sammy p

Smash Lord
Gen III, am I the only one who thinks Johto is full of misfits?
holy **** i wanna shake your hand sir! :bee:
but i liked gen three.... simple as that!
gen 2 NEVER appealed to me. i didnt catch onto the trend that was pokemon until G/S/C, and did not enjoy gen 2 one bit! but gen 3 looked much more different, so i gave pokemon one more try, and fell in LOVE with 75% of the Hoenn pokemon.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Oh good. Gen. V is still beating Gen. IV. :p

Well if you didn't get into Pokemon until Gen. II then you probably disliked it. But most of us were into Pokemon from the beginning so Gen. II was more appealing.

Also, you cannot say a generatino of misfits without Gen. III and Luvdisc.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
And the one drawback I always saw, IMO Generation 2 has the worst grass starter ever made. However, I think it had the best water starter.
Gen 2, unfortunately, had the worst starters out of the whole series.

Typhlosion was pretty cool (not as cool as Zard or Blaziken though), Feraligatr was meh, and Meganium is the worst starter we've had yet.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
I like Gen IV, the metagame advanced greatly due to the shift between physical and special moves.
Animewise, I'd have to go with Gen IV too, yes, Kanto was nostalgic but it was horrible story-wise (one episode gaps between gyms lol) and Johto was a mess, Ash didn't dump his team, they were slowly oaked, and only one Chikorita evolved. Gen III was a huge improvement but Gen IV has more depth.
Gen II made the biggest impact however. I still prefer Gen IV, I hate how everyone bashes on the new generations because they aren't original and other crap.

Riddle

Smash Lord
TRG said:
Typhlosion was pretty cool (not as cool as cooler than Zard or Blaziken though), Feraligatr was meh ****ing awesome, and Meganium Sceptile/Torterra is are the worst starters we've had yet.
God, so much to fix

firelord767

Smash Apprentice
Nah, he's got it down. I voted Gen 3. It was the most creative. The designs were complicated, but it worked, unlike in Gen 4. Gen 1 was very cramped and small, and gen 2 wasn't exactly perfect. As a matter a fact, i'm willing to call it a bit stale. Gen 4 looked like a Digimon game.

Mudkip is also teh bestest starter eva.

LASHING_LEAF

Smash Journeyman
i will cover all them

gen 1:
most people say the pokes are cooler but hey look at diglett & ditto they are HORRIBLE DESIGNS...
who wants a drooling metally disabled plant like gloom to beat people with and slowbro...... dont get me started pink smiling his perverted smile and has a deformed shellder eating his ugh... tail l:[
i liked how plain it was though and how mewtwo was a total ****** XD ash made funny jokes there werent as many filler episodes and pikachu was fat :]
its my personal fav cuz well... i grew up on blue version and i had a lv.100 meowth i never evolved and made fun of all my friends cuz it could beat their strongest pokes >:D
gen 2:
they added a whole region and much.. much more i hated the phone they tell me stupid crap
"i like mountains i dont know why do you? well got to go byye"
URG... but i got typhlosion and had the best moveset EVER!!! :] it was the longest pokemon game to me and lugia became my fav legendary the shows started becoming more bland but when ash fought gary at the end it really got me interested most intense episode ever
gen 3:
soooo much water :[[[ and i wish they coulda put johto or kanto back in there instead of pointless underwater caves :/ and pokemon is starting to go... "cute" on most things :[ swampert & charizard was my double team UNSTOPABLE >:D
the show lost misty and gary so its like taking boo boo out of yogi bear or velma out of scooby doo STUPID and to many filler episodes i want to see ash have epic battles not save a bunch of lame skittys from a angry delcatty and team rocket is gone :[
gen 4:
to cute but i like the sinnoh region few people know this but they had wi-fi towers in the 2nd gen in japan so its nothing new :/ team galactic it a bunch of nerds and i miss how the 8th/16th leader is a major character :/ and all that jazz the show is just PATHEDIC!!!
gen 5:
cant say too much yet but i know its new york lol i will even explain:
-liberty ticket=liberty island=statue of liberty
-eagle pokemon
-bridge
-geographically allmost exact even some rivers
-ports
-technology
-etc
so yeah im exited though allready im disapointed in the designs... mostley not all however they are getting rid of brock... stupid move once more and added a black gym leader... its kinda out of place:
-games are black and white
-shes a chef/maid figure
-she lives in a gehttoy place

so yeah i pick the 1st gen

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
gen 3:
soooo much water :[[[ and i wish they coulda put johto or kanto back in there instead of pointless underwater caves :/
Actually, that's Hoenn's hook. Hoenn is a tropically based region and as such of course there's gonna be a ****load of water.

And lol at gen 5 still being ahead of gen 4 XD

Teff

Smash Rookie
Gen IV is the best. Gen III is the worst. I don't understand these poll results at all.

UberMario

Smash Master
there werent as many filler episodes
The reason it didn't have that many was because of two reasons:

A. The show came out about 2 years after the 1st gen and 2 years before the 2nd gen, and
B. Because they were planning on only doing Kanto for the anime, but they changed their mind mid-series and so had to add the Orange Islands in-order to fill the gap between the end of season 1 and the Johto saga, if they had planned on running the series for every region from the start and had ran the series since Day 1 of the games (which of course wouldn't have made sense back then because I doubt GF thought it would be as much of a hit as it was).

1st Gen: 116 (35 of which were in the Orange Islands)
2nd Gen: 157
3rd Gen: 192 (46 of which were involved in revisiting Kanto)
4th Gen: 191 confirmed

Also keep in mind, the space between the game generations has been lengthening, so they needed to make each saga longer than the previous one to fill the gap till the next game. (Notice that the 4th gen is, in fact, the longest spent in any region, but is shorter than the 3rd gen because it didn't go into the region of it's remake (No Johto).)

Gen IV is the best. Gen III is the worst. I don't understand these poll results at all.
Because it's not based on a single opinion (no offense), and also mostly because there were a whopping 29 pre-evolutions and evolutions of pokemon from PREVIOUS games, leaving less than 80 brand new ones, even fewer than Johto had.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
i still wouldent mind something ****** to take place ill made a thread about my idea on how pokemon should end and EVERYTHING gimme a day or 2 when i got time
I would really appreciate it if your grammar and punctuation were good enough for someone that's not even a grammar Nazi to understand it.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Gen II's definitely my favorite, pre-HGSS of course... and mainly if we're talking about the games themselves. The original games were a lot of fun, despite being handicapped by extremely weak wild Pkmn and E4 (which is SLIGHTLY dealt with in the remakes, if only with a beefed E4... Cerulean Cave, I am disappoint).

...thoughhh, my favorite Gen line of Pkmn is still the first, only because Charizard and Mewtwo top my personal list of favorites (Darkrai, Deoxys, Lugia lingering somewhere in there as well). Never been too fond of the Pkmn of Gen2, all relatively weak and/or forgettable one-shots; Gen3's not too bad, but this is where the obscurity begins; Gen4's way overly-designed, and just overrated overall (IMO). Gen5's sticking to me, though.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
lolwut gen 4 being overrated?

It's constantly being the butt of the joke of all the gens and even gen 5 is already beating it out. And we even haven't even see the rest of the content that it'll bring so... lol

Also, I just love how a thread I made actually sparked up arguments from everybody :D

JOE!

Smash Hero
why is there such hate for gen 4, exactly?

like, if the order wen:

gen 4-2-3-1, would we all be hating on 1 because it's not like "the original"?

Wrath`

Smash Master

like, if the order wen:

Gen 4 could never happen in that order due to there being evos of pokemon in other gens.

The hate is not really the Pokemon, it is the general unoriginality of the land, Gen 3 was the most diverse until gen 5.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

like, if the order wen:

If we didn't like gen 4 solely for the fact that it's not "the original", why is it that gen 2 is winning with gen 3 close behind, tied with gen 1?

I personally didn't like gen 4 as much because it just felt kind of...bland. None of the environments, save for the routes leading up to Snowpoint, really stood out. I have trouble remembering half the city names and even if I can remember that much, I often have trouble remembering what the actual city was. I'm also not a huge fan of many of the new Pokémon.

Now, to be fair, I've discovered some of the same sort of feelings about gen 1 and 2 since HG/SS -- I remember city names and such, but that's due to me remembering them from when I first played the games. However, I do think there are other aspects of gen 1 and 2 that make up for that and make them at least a little better than gen 4.

Nevertheless, gen 3 is the one that stands out to me as the most creative, inventive, and interesting generation, Pokémon- and region-wise.

People legitimately didn't like fourth gen as much, it's not just that it's the newest one. Otherwise, fifth gen obviously wouldn't be beating it (although that's still a little silly at the moment, because hype springs eternal
yes, I made that pun
).

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I disliked Generation IV of Pokemon because of (a) terrible and ugly Pokemon, (b) lack of standout points, and (c) rather bland music. It's definitely not because it wasn't on par with the original. If Generations I and II lacked such creativity, etc. I would've never been drawn to Pokemon in the first place.

UberMario

Smash Master
I pointed out how much it has to be america & how racist it is lol
Why do people think everything is racist nowadays? It's like in ten years just mentioning an accent about a singer is going be considered racist.

Imitating America is NOT racist, especially since labelling all Americans as one race is absurd to begin with, nor are the names. What is the opposite of white? black. Now if Pokemon White was a light pink and Pokemon Black was a dark brown, then yes it would be racist, but the real deal is NOT racist, it's named after the colors, both of which are seen as opposites in virtually every culture in existance.

Top Bottom