• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite thing about Melee?

_umbra_

Smash Champion
the community. melee players are 10x more chill than brawl players from my experience.

and how it takes practice to get good

shboke

Smash Journeyman
the endless hours of playing to get one technique down, the fast pace, the rate of which your fingers move on the controller, and just the big static the moments in smash that never happen or will happen in brawl.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
I have a new favorite: wall teching. Every time I wall tech something (which isn't that often) I feel like I've already won the game. Best won I've done was when I was Falco side-B-ing to sweet spot the ledge and I got fsmashed by marth but teched the stage and recovered.

Even though the pc vs ken 2006 videos are old, that's always what i think of when i do it. It's like there are commentators and they go crazy, as does the crowd.
like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL_qsvjuzy8 2:34-2:37

L__

Smash Master
I have a new favorite: wall teching. Every time I wall tech something (which isn't that often) I feel like I've already won the game. Best won I've done was when I was Falco side-B-ing to sweet spot the ledge and I got fsmashed by marth but teched the stage and recovered.

Even though the pc vs ken 2006 videos are old, that's always what i think of when i do it. It's like there are commentators and they go crazy, as does the crowd.
When you're good at teching,

People get bored of watching you tech...

They devise good combos against it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upq12uQewh8

The ability to adapt in Melee. It's intense.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
L your signature is too good.

Anyways, my favourite thing about Melee is probably the speed and intensity of it all. In the blink of an eye, you could get caught up in a killer combo and suddenly, you've lost a stock.

Bear in mind, these are NINTENDO CHARACTERS comboing eachother.

L__

Smash Master
Thank you.

Also I noticed that for a game that has Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and other characters intended for little children...

There's a lot of swearing in commentary.

<3

lol I went to a tournament and met him in SoCal...

People were like ...

"You're L?"

"...OMG YOU'RE ASIAN TOO?"

"DID YOU KNOW THERE'S SOMEONE NAMED KIRA HERE?"

He's been playing longer than me and he's better, sooooo...

"Rivalries" are nice. Meeting everyone in the community is great, I've met a diverse group of people.

<3 SSBM

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
L, I met and played you at Genesis, and your Falcon is dope--same color as mine. I saw you do some cool moonwalk/stickywalk movement that tripped me out. I was like what the f***? How do you do it?

L__

Smash Master
Haha, sorry I forgot your name. I'm really bad with names when it comes to meeting so many people. x_X

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I think I was calling myself by my tag that day, but we played a set of friendlies the first day. I wanted to play more, but my friends were going to eat, so I went with them. I think I played fox, falcon, and marth.

edit: when I left, the people that were playing you were a Mexican Luigi, and a short asian kid who played spacies.

L__

Smash Master
OHHHHHHHH I remember now lol

I'm better with faces than names.

Nice meeting you!

I wish I could go to Pound 4...but my parents would be wondering why I would want to spend 200 bucks on plane tickets to Maryland.

Being 16 sucks.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I wouldn't mind seeing them L. I'm always watching smash matches online. Between Colbol and Jman I've decided to pick up fox. I'm always watching Fox matches trying to pick up stuff. Oh and Death Note is 1 of my 5 favorite Anime. Even though it has essentially no action it's 100% mind games. That's the part I enjoy.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
There are no 500 page discussions about banning a character that (sort of) dominates the game because the dynamics are too shallow to give people better options at overcoming a matchup. :D

There is no "wall" in Melee.

(Before anyone shouts "scrub", I'm not saying a pro MK is unbeatable. Just that it's frustrating with how much BS you have to put up with, even when you can predict and see something coming, many times you just can't punish because of Brawl's limiting mechanics.)

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Fave things about Melee...
-Mewtwo & Roy
-The mind-shattering Flare Blade!
-the Unown Family
-the Announcer
-the awe-inspiring Black Hole

Worst thing about Melee...
-Clones
-Jigglypuff was there

Top Bottom