• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on Project M?

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
As far as the actual game its self is concerned, I think it's....alright. It doesn't feel as smooth as melee to me but that could be because the large difference in visuals.

Don't see it growing into anything except a nice side-event, and I can't really articulate why, but I'll try. Basically, the melee players you see at tournaments all the time are the ones who are dedicated and really LOVE melee. These guys are putting their heart and soul into a 10 year old game because they've grown attached to SSBM. That's not gonna easily transfer to some fan-hack, regardless of how good it is.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
I don't know about that.

A few people in my area are getting bored of melee and prefer P:M now because it's new and plays like melee. Obviously, we can't speak for the entire community, but I agree that at least for now, P:M will just be a cool side-event.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
As far as the actual game its self is concerned, I think it's....alright. It doesn't feel as smooth as melee to me but that could be because the large difference in visuals.

Don't see it growing into anything except a nice side-event, and I can't really articulate why, but I'll try. Basically, the melee players you see at tournaments all the time are the ones who are dedicated and really LOVE melee. These guys are putting their heart and soul into a 10 year old game because they've grown attached to SSBM. That's not gonna easily transfer to some fan-hack, regardless of how good it is.
pretty much summarizes how i feel about it.

D

Deleted member

There's pretty much nothing I can't fix in the game at this point anymore. Just saying. There's simply a very long list of things I want to work on in it, I'm one guy, and I only picked up ppc assembly and game hacking a year and some ago while having no previous programming experience. You're also way off in thinking that I don't care about fixing such things important to the feel of the game because they happen to still be that way in the demo.

This explains the physics delay btw: http://www.smashmods.com/forum/thread-4341-post-72263.html#pid72263
can you change sheik's downthrow back to normal so i can play the game again?

The Star King

Smash Hero
If it was 100% exactly Melee physics and people didn't know, I guarantee you people would still say "it doesn't play like Melee".

Played it at StriCNYN3's house. Garbage.
I seem to recall you saying a while ago that Melee is perfect and that any change to it shouldn't happen. You were obviously determined to stick to Melee and hate on this project from the start, so forgive me if I take your opinions with a grain of salt.

D

Deleted member

I seem to recall you saying a while ago that Melee is perfect and that any change to it shouldn't happen. You were obviously determined to stick to Melee and hate on this project from the start, so forgive me if I take your opinions with a grain of salt.
yes that's exactly what he said. eggm i don't even know why you tried this game since it wasn't melee.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
To be fair, Melee is pretty god damn amazing

But it wouldn't be the greatest crime in the world if we had *gasp* two major events at every tournament (Melee+Project M)

Project M has quite a bit to go until its final build, so I'm holding my judgments until then. Even if it doesn't get adopted though, its cool as **** that the community got together for such a massive undertaking.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
If it was 100% exactly Melee physics and people didn't know, I guarantee you people would still say "it doesn't play like Melee".
THIS!!!

the project is intended as a Tribute to Melee, not a damn emulation. It's a giant"What If?" story of how Brawl would have played with Melee's gameplay style. all these comments saying "the graphics put me off" or whatever is just selfish bulls***. In it's heart,it's based off of Melee, but at the same time it MUST have new things-just like any exansion/mod/sequel must have. translates to Brawl, translates to P:M, translates to SSB4. you are never gonna get a sequel that is a perfect dupe, so deal with it. Project M is great for what it is, and should be looked upon for it's own unique contributions instead of being scrutinized for not being a 100% copy.

and mind you, there is still more work to do, but the final product doesn't have to be 100% Melee to be a sucess. it just has to be successful game in it's own right.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
So far, I think it's a great replacement for brawl. But NOT for melee. Which is fine for me, I'd love to go to a P:M/melee tournament & enter both, rather than just entering melee @ a melee/brawl tourney.

that being said:
I like it just fine, I don't have quite as much fun playing it. It feels like it doesn't 'flow' correctly for me as a fox/falco main, though I main toonlink/ness etc in this. feels/looks less clean (partly due to the imo uglier character art of brawl. love the stage art though). it's great playing on different stages w/all the new guys too though. Looking forward to the final build.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I think it's cool.
We will have to wait until the final version to have it as a full game and not only a side event, but yeah the PMBR did an AMAZING job on this.
Even though i dont like some changes they did on a few characters and I think some of them are kinda OP at the moment but we're all noobs yet and the metagame will show.

Also it seems like PM will be slightly more defensiv than Melee and edeguarding is harder, mostly because of brawl character recoverys

And i really miss snakes utilt and dacus and sonics old fair.
Plus Brawl Fox ****s me up every time because his head is looking like a freakin bell. I need a Melee texture...

:phone:

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I don't like to play spacies in Project M, they feel so clunky to me.

I started playing the game with the idea that I should play a new character (Wolf) because otherwise there's no point to it for me. Project M probably won't be anything more than a side-event at tournaments but I'm fine with that. The game is pretty fun and I really appreciate the effort the devs put into making it.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I think it has the potential to be more than a side event.
And I also want to play a different character than in Melee

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
The biggest issues with P:M I always hear people complain about are the graphics and the sounds. I cannot believe that **** hasn't been fixed yet, what is the PMBR thinking? Like you could actually have a sequel for Melee that doesn't look and sound exactly like Melee, are they out of their freaking minds???

/sarcasm

The Star King

Smash Hero
Am I the only one in the world who doesn't think Brawl visuals are worse than Melee's? The voice acting is admittedly inferior though (where it was changed, obviously it's fine where it's the same person i.e. Captain Falcon) but whatever.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Am I the only one in the world who doesn't think Brawl visuals are worse than Melee's? The voice acting is admittedly inferior though (where it was changed, obviously it's fine where it's the same person i.e. Captain Falcon) but whatever.
I don't think it's worse, I just personally hate the art style.

Massive

Smash Champion
I think brawl has quite a few very well done graphical effects and shaders. The polycounts are higher and the texture resolution is better. I do not agree with many of the character redesigns, but I do like some of them (zelda/gannon/link textures are head and shoulders better than the melee ones, IMO).

The music is far and away my favorite difference between the two (better variety and quality than melee) sound effects are kind of bleh though.

FYI: Melee heavily used sound effects from Kirby super star, including many of the main leitmotifs in the game music.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I just hate hate hate hate hate Brawl's Fox. The sound effects, the voice acting, the design. It's all just terrible. Besides that I like the Brawl design.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Brawl Fox's voice isn't nearly as terrible as Brawl Falco's voice

ears bleeding man

But yeah the funny accents of Melee are sooooo much better.

MEESHON COMPREET

FIYAAAAAAH

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
it's not nearly as enjoyable as melee is for me. i like it, but imo melee is way better.

however, i like P:M enough that i would actually play it if it gained wind and became the biggest smash game, got big tourneys, big sponsors, and all that jazz, (i.e. it's way better than brawl. i wouldn't play brawl even if it were the biggest fighting game in the world in terms of attendance, money, and sponsorship), which i really doubt would ever even come close to happening because it's just a brawl mod.

inb4 someone makes the "BUT COUNTER STRIKE WAS A MOD" argument. valve isn't run by f*ggots like nintendo is, so CS actually had a fighting chance

VietGeek

Smash Hero
But yeah the funny accents of Melee are sooooo much better.

MEESHON COMPREET

FIYAAAAAAH
That's because the "English" voice acting was entirely done by Japanese voice actors/actresses in Melee. Best decade of Engrish ever?

P:M is pretty cool, especially from a designer and programmer perspective. Unfortunately I have a tendency to play it like Brawl+. :I

dash dance harder

faster

and stronger than all your furries

obv :080:

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
inb4 someone makes the "BUT COUNTER STRIKE WAS A MOD" argument. valve isn't run by f*ggots like nintendo is, so CS actually had a fighting chance
Nintendo has about as much to do with Project M as it does with competitive Melee.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
LOL....I've been stating my opinion on Project M long before the hype train got so massive....I admit it's funny to read posts of people who really love the game who argued with me on how terrible it was 1 year ago....but it's good to see the change.

Anyways....Project M is probably the greatest incomplete game I've ever played. Better than 90% of completed games I've played. The finished version will be a bit more like melee however some things are just going to have to be accepted....like Snake and Pit >_>.

As for anyone who says the game is played too campy I have 3 words for you. Apex Grand Finals.

Papero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Paperio
Hey guys,

You do know there do exist Melee texture and voice imports that you can use? Even the menu and announcer as well as some hit sounds have been imported.
Some of the imports aren't perfectly replicated as they are in Melee, but combine it with the P:M Demo, and it becomes pretty damn close to looking and sounding like Melee.

So really, if you look around a bit, you can recreate the Melee feel a bit more if you have Homebrew.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Unfortunately, using the Melee SFX or any other sound edits require the use of Riivolution or editing a Brawl ISO and USB loading that. Both of which require Homebrew.

Textures can be used on any loading method though, so that'll at least help the look of the game.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Absolutely not, I think it looks much worse.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Hey guys,

You do know there do exist Melee texture and voice imports that you can use? Even the menu and announcer as well as some hit sounds have been imported.
Some of the imports aren't perfectly replicated as they are in Melee, but combine it with the P:M Demo, and it becomes pretty damn close to looking and sounding like Melee.

So really, if you look around a bit, you can recreate the Melee feel a bit more if you have Homebrew.
You can do a lot more than just recreate Melee's graphics. There's lots of really nice looking costumes online too and with custom CSP sets you can get some ridiculously official looking alternate costume sets (e.g. all Earthbound protagonists over Ness, almost any Sonic character over Sonic, Fire Emblem characters over Marth/Ike, Dr.Mario Roy Pichu YL costumes) or just load it with random anime and video game character imports if you're into that kind of thing. To be honest the custom stages/costumes/music is half the fun of Project M for me lol

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I think someone (not an lazyass like me) should put in a official Melee SFX + announcer + sounds + costume pack + FX + God know what - premade ISO, would be awesome :)

I'm too lazy to figure out Sounds FX and other crap by myself

foshio

Smash Journeyman
I think someone (not an lazyass like me) should put in a official Melee SFX + announcer + sounds + costume pack + FX + God know what - premade ISO, would be awesome :)

I'm too lazy to figure out Sounds FX and other crap by myself
I second this motion... I have no idea how to do it though... :(... I tried putting sfx on mine and it failed miserably.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Ask the europeans. The literally put a real dolphin sound over marths up-b

Top Bottom