• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on Project M?

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah I remember seeing that in the annual Brawl video I watch to remind myself how boring the game is

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
I'm not saying that it can't work. Lots of games have patches and still be successful.

What I'm saying is though, its a very slippery slope. What motivation to players and innovators like M2k have to push the game to its limits, when anything they discover could be easily patched?

To take an example, look at metaknight in Brawl. M2k spent years perfecting and pushing his metagame to the point where he was considered "broken" and eventually banned. But, that banning process took years to come around and now they are going to unban him, because they weren't sure he was actually broken, and time was given for them to find counter-strats (such as olimar and diddy being developed to beat MK). That is HEALTHY for the metagame.

But imagine if in P:M, M2k pushes some character and finds a very strong strategy. All it takes is a little whining and a few hours of elbow grease in the lab and poof, the game gets "balanced" again. Why then would anyone bother trying to push the game if their strategies are just going to get fixed if they turn out to be "too good"

Now granted, constant balancing may be nice in the fact that, over a long enough time, the game will actually become very balanced. BUT, I just don't care to play a game where i have to relearn stuff every 3-4 months over the many years just to keep up.

This is my personal opinion. I'm going to play the game regardless, but i won't really take it seriously if theres lots of updates.
i understand your point now. i don't know if to share it or not, if pm makers are smart then they sould not be doing that. let's just see

VietGeek

Smash Hero
P:M makers are smart enough. They already tried the "balance stuff whenever possible" with Brawl+. I wonder why that died...huh.

They can also look to the traditional fighting game community to see how players react to OFFICIAL patches. Everyone loves it when your mid-tier character wins a Japanese national only to get nerfed back to low-tier in the next expansion right Tsubaki? Capcom-hate-train-riders also like Street Fighter 4: Hong Kong Edition. I would too if every match could be a Bruce Lee fight scene but whatever.

MELTY BLOOD developers started off much the same as the P:M team. Their first Melty Blood game (horribly imbalanced btw) had constant patches (it was a PC game at the time) and the changes sucked out the community's interest. Fast forward to when they released the series onto the arcades, with major changes only every 2-3 so years: community is happy and the game is popular ($$$).

Now I like stating the obvious to make it seem like I'm more understanding and intelligent than I really am, so just like all those companies, the P:M team will have to walk on the tight rope between satiating the whiners and everyone else. The game is made by the community, so its fate as not only a competitive game, but just a game is decided by the "mentality culture" of its players. If Smash had a really tight community, people would understand you can patch P:M whenever but make it a point to develop counter strategies beforehand, as well as to understand all the nuances of the "broken" character(s) to make more educated balance recommendations, better understand the consequences of ANY change to the match-up spreads (and therefore the competitive scene itself), and ultimately become a more knowledgeable and efficient player.

Don't let the balance patches make you a better player, let them do what they're intended to do: make a better game.

obv :080:

abcool

Smash Ace
Ok guys, for those of you that only hearing about the Melee SFX and Costumes and not seeing it in Action. I have them on my Project M an i can help those that need to set it up on riivolution set it up :) Here is a vid of Marth and Fox. This Fox is a hybrid between Melee and Brawl. It's Melee Fox in Brawl Fox's costume; in other words how Fox WOULD have looked with an upgrade. Basically Melee Fox's head in the brawl costume. It also fixed his boots to look less silly http://youtu.be/7Sb9BgiGgys

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
I find the excuse that "it's too hard to learn" is kind of a cop out...if that's the case I hope you enjoy playing Melee and only Melee for the rest of your life lol.
I will.

Melee is the only video game I have any interest in playing.

I loathe the idea of Project M gaining enough traction to be featured alongside Melee. It's a waste of time. I wish we could go back to Melee-only tournaments and get out of the venue at a decent time. The sick American mindset of cramming as much as possible into a tournament is a total turn-off for me.

I for one am sick and tired of every tournament ending at 10 PM or later. It's unhealthy, addict-like behavior. This is the primary reason I rarely travel out of my region.

Fortunately in SoCal no one really gives a **** about it aside from Fly. But if Project M ever started taking friendlies with quality players away, tournaments would become a lot less of a priority.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i have no problem with project m gaining traction

it's "taking" players from the brawl scene and the casual brawl scene and giving them a better game.

melee players are gonna keep playing melee, pretty sure no one is in doubt of that. no offense but why would you spend your time on the 7 when you're already in bed with the 10. just be thankful u got rid of that 3 chikk (brawl)

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I don't approve of modding games T_T

Nah just kiddin its all good son. But damn from what I've seen in tournaments in my area that Lucario just can't be beat!
I'm gonna start participating now that Ganon has been added.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
I don't approve of modding games T_T

Nah just kiddin its all good son. But damn from what I've seen in tournaments in my area that Lucario just can't be beat!
I'm gonna start participating now that Ganon has been added.
He has been in all 3 demos now. 1.0. 2.0, and 2.1.

Zoler

Smash Ace
Yeah I remember back at like Genesis 2(not sure about this but the tournament was like a year ago) Kage got like 5th(a high placing) with Ganon....
I'm pretty sure Kage got 1st and leffen 2nd? Or maybe it was Kage 2nd and Leffen 3rd?

GuruKid

Smash Ace
He means Ganon's been available to the public since the first demo, which was released nearly a year and a half ago.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
I just love getting up by 1 stock with P:M Ganon then doing flying side b to suicide kill for the rest of the stocks

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Project M is a great game in general. Its just a few things that bug me like how fox falls 2x faster and falco doesn't have any momentum over his shine (dair combos). I see a lot of falco mains miss combos that they wouldn't normally miss, even myself missing them. I like floaties though preferably pit. Ive been using him for over two months and he has a lot of potential.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Ganon is broken, nerf bat? ;)
It would be easier to just nerf you though.

Jokes aside, I guess the only change that is very notable on Ganon since Genesis 2 is that you can DI when choked so you can land behind Ganon. It's a "minor nerf"

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I'll admit that to be fair, he was already pretty viable in Melee and his unsafe recovery was probaby his biggest weakness. Do you have anything to propose? I'm more than willing to take your feedback to everyone else.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
weird as **** to see people complain that their char is too good
when they aren't even the best in the game

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I wouldnt be so sure about that. =) He's clearly top tier or is it because im really good that everything seems a lot easier to deal with now? I dont know but everyone ive faced didnt require me to think very hard to win.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
he's most likely top tier, but not the best in the game.

abcool

Smash Ace
Project M is a great game in general. Its just a few things that bug me like how fox falls 2x faster and falco doesn't have any momentum over his shine (dair combos). I see a lot of falco mains miss combos that they wouldn't normally miss, even myself missing them. I like floaties though preferably pit. Ive been using him for over two months and he has a lot of potential.
Fox doesn't fall 2x faster. SCD(Stage collision detection bug doesn't allow fox to jump his full height unless you use an aerial with the jump) Another thing is the 1 "dead frame" That isn't transfering momentum in Project M the way it should be transfered like in Melee so the timing is off.

Falco dair combos are weird because of another momentum code that needs fixing. What you're experiencing is called momentum stacking all of which should be fixed in the Full release.

Characters that wouldn't feel hella weird in the demo are either Meleefied Brawl vets or characters that didn't have 1 frame timings on their attacks. Marth, Sheilk, Mario, Luigi. Mostly Floaties.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
As the fine gentleman here just said, the mod is still in development and the battle system isn,t quite there yet. You can be assured that upon release, these concerns will be adressed.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
LOL yeah...it's more than likely when all the characters are complete at least some of the fallen 5 will be integrated into Project M. Maybe not Doc and Young Link because they sort of...are already in. Pichu.....idk about Pichu. Roy is a possibility and Mewtwo is sort of likely.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I find it intereresting to speculate that if Brawl would have been like the full release P:M, a true sequel to Melee, people would probably be much more open. But since Brawl was a dissappointment and the sequel of Melee comes in a form of unofficial mod of Brawl people are more reserved.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
LOL yeah...it's more than likely when all the characters are complete at least some of the fallen 5 will be integrated into Project M. Maybe not Doc and Young Link because they sort of...are already in. Pichu.....idk about Pichu. Roy is a possibility and Mewtwo is sort of likely.
I want a Pichu that is top tier, but still hurts himself whenever he uses Electric attacks.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I want a Pichu that is top tier, but still hurts himself whenever he uses Electric attacks.
The only way I can see that happening is if you make him as fast as Sonic and puff his grab range. and cutting lag on all of his moves by 1/3. Then you could have a top tier Pichu...maybe.

Top Bottom