• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on Project M?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I find it intereresting to speculate that if Brawl would have been like the full release P:M, a true sequel to Melee, people would probably be much more open. But since Brawl was a dissappointment and the sequel of Melee comes in a form of unofficial mod of Brawl people are more reserved.
So true. I'm fairly certain that most people going "nope Melee iz better" would have played this if it was the official sequel

Its amazing how much alteration of Brawl can be done. I think most of the issues in demo 1 were fixed within a month or so.

The reception for P:M demo 2 is quite good too. Its seeing more usage in tournaments with the better demo, and it got a bit of advertising from IGN to boot. I wonder what everyone's reaction will be when its actually completed. In the back of my mind I think this could actually get super popular when its done and Nintendo might try doing something about. What, I do not know. But, they didn't like people hacking their Wii's in the first place with the updates they designed to specifically knock out homebrew.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I think it's a fun game to play casually, but I wouldn't take it nearly as serious as Melee. IE. I would play it with friends for a bit after playing an entire day's worth of Melee. I would probably be more interested in the singleplayer than the multiplayer.

:phone:

`dazrin

Smash Champion
I always laugh when someone runs with Falco. It's hilarious, he runs like he's moving super fast, but he goes sooo slow lol I'm pretty sure his walk his faster than his run

foshio

Smash Journeyman
you have to admit by now that zelda is some sort of running joke in PM.
I gotta say, I've never met anyone that likes playing against Zelda. I let out a long sigh when someone chooses her, not because I think she's TOO BROKEN! Just because she's lame, has a lame style of play. I fear for the reputation of Zelda mains in the future.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I've spent a lot of time recently commentating project m tournaments, Its coming along nicely but I don't see this replacing melee anytime soon if ever.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Well, it IS an unfinished game.

The fact that people would even consider it replacing anything in it's current state is crazy in itself. It's probably the best unfinished game I've ever seen/played.

I think a lot of people forget the fact that P:M2.1 is still only a demo of what P:M will become. It would be insane if an unfinished game replaced melee. But it's more than good enough to replace Brawl.
Still, nothing needs to or will necessarily be replaced. P:M can co-exist with the smash games a bridge to unify the melee and brawl communities together, as it has appeal to both parties. I've already unified much of the brawl community and melee community in my area through P:M, and it's been an amazing experience to see two worlds collide in a single game, and to see the smash community united once again :p

D

Deleted member

i think the character balance still needs some work. that said, the PM team has made it abundantly clear that they have no intention of balancing characters any time soon.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Untrue, although we do want to stress-test them at tournaments. Balance isn't just about following gut feeling. We also need hard data.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
i think the character balance still needs some work. that said, the PM team has made it abundantly clear that they have no intention of balancing characters any time soon.
It is impossible to perfectly balance a game without distributing patches constantly after formal release. I feel that the game is balanced pretty well in this version, with only a few outliers on either end of the balance spectrum.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah, we need time to see. It's far too early to say stuff about balance.

I remember when Brawl came out, everyone was like "this game iz so balanced guyz"... lolno. I don't get how they were ALREADY talking about balance.

Oneupsalesman

Smash Journeyman
Falco didn't really have a fast run speed in melee either...

Huh, okay, I figured he was faster at running in Melee, but whatever, I only mained with Falco for like a few weeks, I can't do all of that combo-shine stuff and I don't even understand all of the terms.

So I use Marth a lot, he's a lot of fun to use and I've found that I'm a lot better with him, with his short-hop Nairs and such.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
You can't. There are literally like 50 match-ups that have not happened yet at a tournament level. :glare:
Yeah I agree with this. There are whole characters that have never been seen at high level play yet, and it's not because they are bad. It's because nobody has really picked them up yet.
#DDD#Snake#Bowser

inb4 "dude watch this guy play (insert character)"

The Star King

Smash Hero
Not to mention the characters that haven't been added yet... I'm kind of interested to see what they'll do with Metaknight. And Kirby. And I'm weirdly hype for Ivysaur, IDK why. And Diddy Kong could be interesting. lol

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I'll be honest...I have no Idea how Oli is going to fit into a melee setting. But I have faith in Project M team. They've done a great job with Meleefication of Brawl characters overall.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
#DDD#Snake#Bowser
There are a few pretty good Bowsers. Choknater and cmart come to mind. I know of lots of okay Snakes, but not any great ones. DDD players are weirdly terrible as a whole, but there are still some okay ones; mine is reasonably decent.

D

Deleted member

It is impossible to perfectly balance a game without distributing patches constantly after formal release. I feel that the game is balanced pretty well in this version, with only a few outliers on either end of the balance spectrum.
I agree with a slight hesitation.

my prior suggestions have been well received so far, and i trust my own judgment on them.

either way, i'm curious to see how the game develops further.

abcool

Smash Ace
I've spent a lot of time recently commentating project m tournaments, Its coming along nicely but I don't see this replacing melee anytime soon if ever.
You got any links to those tournies? I never seen commentating at Project M tournies besides Zenith and Some of JC'z

robyextreme

Smash Ace
At most it will be as popular as melee is right now, and that would be quite a stretch to reach even...

I don't really see how it can grow as a game. It doesn't have anywhere NEAR the advertisement potential of when nintendo releases their versions of smash. The simple truth is no matter how bad the next version of smash is it will be the most popular by because it's the newest and most advertised game. And there will be a new breed of 15 year olds ready to get smashin just like we did, who will be religious about their game cause it's the scene they were first introduced to.

it might get more popular when people finally realize how boring 1 hit combos and camping in brawl are.

abcool

Smash Ace
At most it will be as popular as melee is right now, and that would be quite a stretch to reach even...

I don't really see how it can grow as a game. It doesn't have anywhere NEAR the advertisement potential of when nintendo releases their versions of smash. The simple truth is no matter how bad the next version of smash is it will be the most popular by because it's the newest and most advertised game. And there will be a new breed of 15 year olds ready to get smashin just like we did, who will be religious about their game cause it's the scene they were first introduced to.

it might get more popular when people finally realize how boring 1 hit combos and camping in brawl are.
Casually i believe you are right. Competitively not so much. Smash is a self sustaining community we aren't backed by big companies like in the past. Heck, Brawl didn't even make a return to MLG. All the next Smash would or could do is either split the community even more or unite it all together. An Sakurai would have to give the "ok" for bigger companies to pick up the game an allow streaming at their tournies which he makes a big pain in the *** to do, because he is anti-competitive.

Also, have to factor in how many smashers are willing to buy a Wii-u compared to people that bought a wii, expectations aren't as high for this game as it was for Brawl, people are waiting first before they jump into something they are unsure of. The Wii-U has a lot of mixed emotions from Nintendo fans as is, but that is a topic for another time.

I think Sakurai will take out trippen. Other than that, Brawl again with new characters and slightly different movesets for balanace = Not appealing to the Melee community. PMBR is my new Smash developer. Atleast i get Samus back with some buffs, instead of what i got in Brawl that suit that running out of gas.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I like project M :) Definitely not as much as Melee though, and it'll never replace Melee for me. But I like it enough to have an interest for entering tournaments. I don't think I would go as far as to sit at home and practice moves alone like I do in Melee though. But I like it :)

One thing I don't like though are some of the sound effects (like someone mentioned earlier). That, and Pikachu's wavedash kinda sucks and looks ******** haha.

Also all of the moves just don't feel as hard hitting as they do in Melee. All the moves in P:M just kinda feel "softer" than in Melee.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
What do you mean that Pika's WD sucks? Does he not slide as far or something? Also, it could be the Brawl SFX making the hits feel "softer" because when I use the Melee SFX file, it feels a lot better.

Master WGS

Smash Lord
If you guys figure out putting in sound effects without using a USB loader or whatever the trick is, make Melee SFX the standard.

Please.

I guarantee that is half of people's problems. Really, if you could make Melee character costumes the default, too, that'd probably also help.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Without a doubt, Melee aesthetics (sound effects, textures, etc etc) make the game feel much better to melee veterans. From what I can tell on the boards, and in my area, people prefer the melee-look much better. Most of that stuff can only be done in riivolution/ usbloader, but if PMBR can make it happen, that would be a godsend.

Also, if it's possible to make the stitch-face turnip more noticable and to make the stocks look like character faces (like melee) that would be great. Many people have complained that they can't tell if it's a stitch-face, and some people can't recognize their stock count as easily because the little dots are harder to see than character faces :p

-> This stuff is probably on the backburner as of now though, as the priority lies in character development, character balance, and most of all, making the physics more melee-like.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I think we have reached that threshold.

But what people don't seem to be taking into account is that for at least the next 2 years, Project M is the only new Smash in town. This is actually the perfect time for the community to grow and the PMBR to release new updates periodically to keep people interested in the game.

As evidence I would like people to take into account all the positive press this game has gotten. It unites the community in a way Brawl was just too polarizing to do.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
If you guys figure out putting in sound effects without using a USB loader or whatever the trick is, make Melee SFX the standard.

Please.

I guarantee that is half of people's problems. Really, if you could make Melee character costumes the default, too, that'd probably also help.
I'm good with SFX being standards but Melee costumes better be optional. A lot of the ones online aren't Wi-Fi friendly (screw with the hitboxes and animations) and/or are pretty mediocre anyways. Even if the PMBR makes their own there are a LOT of default and recolor replacements online that are much better than both Brawl and Melee's anyways, like "ThatEarthboundGuy"'s retextures on the Brawl Vault or every single character's model imports from their respective games.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Honestly all things considered. I think it's a good thing that alot of the main issues people have with Project M are things like sounds and animations(completely changeable).

One thing in particular that Axe said I have to agree with is the fact that the bulk of Project M attacks feel "softer".

First
Knee someone in Project M

Then
Knee someone in Melee

You'll understand what we mean. If anything I believe certain solid hits should feel Even more like DAMN!!!!

Now the exception to this is the the new characters that came from brawl. Ike, Snake, DDD, Bowser, Lucario, and Lucas come to mind. They have hits that feel like they are downright almighty.

The Star King

Smash Hero
One thing in particular that Axe said I have to agree with is the fact that the bulk of Project M attacks feel "softer".
Fairly certain this is because of the sound effects. The Melee thuds (or slashes in the case of stuff like Marth's sword) seem to have way more impact than Brawl's... whatever.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
^ yeah I think that's it

Things in melee hit with more of a thud

Things in brawl hit with more if a smack or a crack

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Yeah it could be partly the sound but even without sound sometimes certain things still seem softer. depending on who gets hit....but maybe that could also be the visuals.

D

Deleted member

You'll understand what we mean. If anything I believe certain solid hits should feel Even more like DAMN!!!!
I zelda fair people and they die at 70 or i break their shield.

so i have no idea what you're talking about.

Top Bottom