• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavedashing in Brawl... (Hacked version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
GeckoOS is an application that emulates the Gecko, I believe. It's what is used to boot the games after you have used the Ocarina codes. I think it's 'cause Ocarina has a bug that won't let it load games by itself.
From what I know I don't have that. Unless it installs along with the Homebrew Channel, or is the Hombrew Channel, then you don't need that. Mine works fine.

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
This is something I noticed, too. I think the code needs to be modified so that the moveset with airdodge loads every time a moveset is loaded. The issue is that the current version only loads at the beginning of the match.

This might make transformation times take a while, though.
Phantomwings has already said he fixed this.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
ghighaodigoashgodsaigoas why would you use final destination with a newly found wavedash.

use battlefield and just waveland around a bunch - that's exactly what i want to see.

can nobody waveland?

there was no application of wavedashing at all in that video it was just wavedash wavedash do exactly the same thing i'd do against computers anyways wavedash wavedash

*sigh* at least there was a wd from ledge

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
ghighaodigoashgodsaigoas why would you use final destination with a newly found wavedash.

use battlefield and just waveland around a bunch - that's exactly what i want to see.

can nobody waveland?

there was no application of wavedashing at all in that video it was just wavedash wavedash do exactly the same thing i'd do against computers anyways wavedash wavedash

Bowser can waveland off his ->b like I said earlier.

Hmmn... I thought someone else had posted. Oops double post.

Also Gimpy list what you would like to see.

3GOD

Smash Ace

can nobody waveland?
Seriously, some of the best applications of Wavedashing are in the form of Wavelanding on/off platforms! Use Battlefield to demonstrate platform tricks please!

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
From what I know I don't have that. Unless it installs along with the Homebrew Channel, or is the Hombrew Channel, then you don't need that. Mine works fine.
No, I'm saying you need it in order to boot the games with the Ocarina cheats, unless I'm mistaken. It doesn't come with HBC, you have to download it seperately. The only things that come with HBC are like... Gecko Freeloader, GCLinux, ScummVM, and one other thing that I can't remember.

Darkslash

Smash Master
My friend saw the melee Air dodge and he was like yes!

Any ways may have to buy a new wii, so i can have like a hack one and a legit one :laugh:

But thats stupid right?

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
My friend saw the melee Air dodge and he was like yes!

Any ways may have to buy a new wii, so i can have like a hack one and a legit one :laugh:

But thats stupid right?
I don't see why you would want two seperate Wiis. The hack is just a softmod, and it's removable, it doesn't damage anything (unless you use risky .wad files and certain apps...), and is completely legal. (The Homebrew Channel itself is, anyway)

.CMW.

Smash Apprentice
Cool find and I'm sure it'll make a lot of people happy, but not me. In my opinion, Brawl was just as fun if not more so without it. Brokenness here we come!!!

.CMW.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
No its not. It uses a hacked save state from Zelda.
The Twilight Hack is not the same as the Homebrew Channel, the TP Hack is used to install it, however. The HBC uses a completely legal banner for it's Wii Menu Channel. I'm not positive of the legality of the Twilight Hack, but I don't think that it would be illegal just because somebody exploited a flaw and created a data stack. But then again, I'm not positive on that one.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Zook, watch the video. MKs wavedash in nothing so particularly impressive. Samus, Diddy, and Wario have nice applications. Sonics was uber awesome.

And some people are getting too worked up about this -_-, lol.

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman

can nobody waveland?

I can't post a vid, but can confirm wavelanding works although harder than in Melee with people being floaty and all. That's just my opinion that it's harder. Maybe through some practice it'll be like my melee days.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
God.

Thank you.

Finally.

And I so called this back in March. <3

So...how do I input this data I wonder...
Use Twilight Hack to install Homebrew Channel, load Ocarina with Homebrew Channel, input code into Ocarina, load game using GeckoOS 1.07, profit.

This has been posted multiple times in the past few pages.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Boo. There was no Lucas/Ness wavedashing in the video...

And to whoever said Homebrew Channel is legal... no, it ain't. A "legal banner" for the Wii menu? Whoever made it just did a really good job on making it look legtimate.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I don't see why you would want two seperate Wiis. The hack is just a softmod, and it's removable, it doesn't damage anything (unless you use risky .wad files and certain apps...), and is completely legal. (The Homebrew Channel itself is, anyway)
Too be honest when it comes to homebrew i become a nervous wreck. Plus i don't want to mess with my Wii, becuase its the only proof that i played Twilight Princess for more than 200 hours XD

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Too be honest when it comes to homebrew i become a nervous wreck. Plus i don't want to mess with my Wii, becuase its the only proof that i played Twilight Princess for more than 200 hours XD
Is Zelda THAT deep? The only game I played over 200 hours (RPG game) was FFX.

On topic: Is someone making a video with all the characters?

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
Boo. There was no Lucas/Ness wavedashing in the video...

And to whoever said Homebrew Channel is legal... no, it ain't. A "legal banner" for the Wii menu? Whoever made it just did a really good job on making it look legtimate.
I'm not positive, but I think the person I heard it from said it was legal because the banner was made from scratch, not using parts from most other banners, like other homebrew. I could dig up the post from wiibrew.org if needed..

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
haha sry i forgot gimpy. i dunno why i completely forgot to do that. il have a new vid soon. i was just doing a tad more basic stuff for my first attempt, but ya gotta admit the wario and diddy stuff i was on to was too nice

What?

Smash Apprentice
I was reading the backlogs.

So I gotta borrow a copy of Twilight and install whatever "Homebrew Channel" is, input those codes into a borrowed copy of Ocarina, then load Brawl with whatever "GeckoOS 1.07" is.

Many thanks, Makkun. <3

There isn't someplace where I can just plug all of that stuff onto an SD card without taking the extensive steps?

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
No, I'm saying you need it in order to boot the games with the Ocarina cheats, unless I'm mistaken. It doesn't come with HBC, you have to download it seperately. The only things that come with HBC are like... Gecko Freeloader, GCLinux, ScummVM, and one other thing that I can't remember.
All I do is put in my SD card, click the Homebrew Channel, click Ocarina, put in my game and press A.

That's it. I don't type in any codes or anything.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
just make a video where you waveland on every platform one time on battlefield and do one wavedash left/right on the bottom

that's all that is required.

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I was reading the backlogs.

So I gotta borrow a copy of Twilight and install whatever "Homebrew Channel" is, input those codes into a borrowed copy of Ocarina, then load Brawl with whatever "GeckoOS 1.07" is.

Many thanks, Makkun. <3

There isn't someplace where I can just plug all of that stuff onto an SD card without taking the extensive steps?
No not Ocarina of Time.

Ocarina is the name of the application on the Homebrew Channel, it's nothing but a black screen with "Please insert game and press A".

Click this, it's a Tutorial.

Makkun

Smash Journeyman
All I do is put in my SD card, click the Homebrew Channel, click Ocarina, put in my game and press A.

That's it. I don't type in any codes or anything.
Maybe it's 'cause of the error I had with my code input earlier. In fact I know that's why. XP So GeckoOS 1.07 is unneeded.

And I know you don't type any of the codes in on your Wii, but you have to make the .gct file by typing (or copy/pasting) the code into a code list on your computer. Unless I'm doing this some old, hard way? @___@

@Whoever thanked me: Also, it's not a "borrowed" copy of Ocarina. Ocarina is an application that reads the codes (like Action Replay) you will download for your Wii, and load it with the Homebrew Channel. Hope maybe I didn't confuse you any more. @__@

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I don't think a lot of people here are understanding the real balance implications of this. Wavedashing isn't even important compared to the new airdodging mechanic.

Mmac raised an excellent point with Yoshi's recovery being screwed. Ness gets screwed in a similar way. Screwing Ness and Yoshi sounds like what Brawl needs to me.

The very long landing animations make airdoding in the air ever hopelessly unsafe for some characters (Luigi and DK mostly). So if Meta Knight or Mr. Game & Watch or someone happens to be pursuing them in the air, they now have zero options to defend themselves.

Did you think Mr. Game & Watch's juggling with his up aerial was obnoxious before? Have fun with it now; it's 50x better. Airdodging through it was a really important option for some characters, and now that's really unsafe to try. In fact, Mr. Game & Watch might be able to keep someone like DK in the air forever. He'd definitely be a way better character, and he's already top tier...

Ice Climbers having wavedashing makes landing grabs with them much easier, and remember it's a lot more practical in brawl to do their infinites than in melee once you land that grab (wavedashing might even give them more variations!). Assuming the fixed version doesn't cause an auto-desynch, they are probably completely broken so you wil think Meta Knight and Captain Falcon in standard brawl are practically on the same tier.

I don't understand why people are saying this should be used in any competitive sense at all as long as you can lock the game trivially with R.O.B.. If you want to move past just messing around, that lock-up is obviously completely unacceptable (not that this should ever move past just messing around anyway).

Have a whole lot of fun dealing with Pit arrow spam in the air when airdodging isn't a viable evasive option. How are you actually supposed to recover past a really smart and really good at aiming Pit with this airdodge mechanic?

As per some other suggestions:

L-Canceling - Is landing lag really too long in brawl? Last I checked it wasn't especially longer than in melee. Cutting it in half would give birth to smash 64 style gameplay more than melee style gameplay; how do you plan to handle Meta Knight doing short hop L-cancel aerials? How about Luigi? Any aerial that already didn't have much landing lag and has a nice hitbox is going to be really stupid with this, and I see absolutely no reason to add in having to press L anyway. If you want to cut lag in half, just do it always and don't require the button push (having to push the button adds in a completely non-skill and is strictly inferior to not having to push it).

Removing the delay from ledge actions would just make ledgestalling better; do you want that? Fox, Falco, and Bowser had infinite ledgestalls in melee if you were frame perfect if you recall, and I'm pretty sure smart ledgestalling was far more dangerous than it ever got explored for. Brawl fixed it... and you want to break it again?

More hitstun is just going to make the top guys better. Meta Knight is the obvious case. How about Mr. Game & Watch? Wouldn't it be so cool if the only way to escape the turtle -> turtle combo was smash DI and he could use air control and good spacing to chain them together in long series or to try to force you into a fishbowl? Maybe the Ice Climbers could exploit it to have an easier time landing grabs so they could be even more broken on top of the wavedashing? Wouldn't it be so much easier to camp with King Dedede if your random pokes kept them pinned down for longer? Some of the guys at the bottom would like this, but in general, it would favor the top.

"auto-sweetspotting" is really just brawl having more generous ledge detection which is a good thing. It was way easier for some characters to grab the ledge in melee than others, and it was pretty silly. It was especially bad if you tried to grab it without doing a B move like Jigglypuff usually liked to do; the detection area was stupidly small.

Brawl's balance really isn't bad, but the changes you people want would completely kill it. It's ridiculous how you get mad at anyone who speaks negatively of this, but they're just being realists and saying things that need to be said (if you can't see the myriad problems with using a hacked game in a tournament, you probably just aren't looking very hard).

That being said, this could be pretty fun for messing around. Codes that anyone could use to easily change the base damage, base knockback, and knockback scaling factor of arbitrary moves on top of a few other codes could be pretty cool in letting individuals use Ocarina to create their own fun "custom brawl" games. Of course, they'd have to understand that it's just not practical to try to move past the "just for fun" side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom