• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Vote here to keep Brawl for the 2011 circuit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brvtvs

Smash Cadet
wut on earth could you mean i pwnx0r3d julius ceesur and now im gonna h4x0r j00

you honeslty made that poster all for me? <3<3<3<3 I'm flaetterrd. ;);0:0:)

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I'm sorry but I'd rather see nearly any game at MLG instead of competitive brawl.

It may be ok to play, but it's incredibly boring to watch.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I'm sorry but I'd rather see nearly any game at MLG instead of competitive brawl.

It may be ok to play, but it's incredibly boring to watch.
Yep. That's what everyone at MLG was thinking when they would jump around, shout, have so much hype for matches that weren't even finals, and holding people up when they won.

Incredibly boring times if you ask me.

Pikaville

Obviously the players are gonna get hyped for god sake.

I imagine competitive brawl players to get excited at flowing water too.

Case and point right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-19NssjjZQ

Tornado+dair repeat as necessary. .....really riveting stuff there.

The best parts of that match were when the acid rose.

I'm not even trying to offend anyone but SERIOUSLY it's really boring and repetitive.

Compared to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw8S35JN6Uc&feature=related

If MLG doesn't want to see stuff like that anymore what makes you think Brawl is ever coming back?

Masky

Smash Master
Gentlemen.... Let's settle this once and for all...

Melee vs Brawl...

GO!!!!!

Pikaville

Compared to what? Lasers and chain grabs....hell yeah they don't have any of that in Brawl.

Pinnicle of Melee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7bkzg-9-GA

Real entertaining stuff. It took me 15 seconds to put me to sleep.
Your watching a Jigglypuff ditto, what do you expect?

At least they utilize the entire move set they are given.

The video I posted at least has 2 of the best players using their best characters, unlike the one you posted, which seems to be more of a grudge.

I'm also comparing the play style, brawl is a "get stock then wait for them to come to you" game.

Melee was more offense orientated and the tides could change in an instant, more of a "get stock and keep getting stocks till win" it was FAR more interesting to watch....especially for people who didn't play the game.

Seriously, the FINAL of a MAJOR competition should never be snake standing there throwing grenades for the whole match only to get tornado'd/dair'd 50 times in a row.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Melee is worse for spectators because its ugly. And at the highest levels of play its still a flying puffball ****** everything.

nightkid

Smash Rookie
Melee is worse for spectators because its ugly. And at the highest levels of play its still a flying puffball ****** everything.
What do you mean by ugly by saying its graphically uglier than brawl? And I can't go against what he said about puff it does ****.

Pikaville

The graphics in brawl only seem better because of how slow it is.

You have time to notice the minor difference.

You barely even get a chance look at backgrounds in melee.

Melee being ugly compared to brawl hmmmmmm.

:trollface:

All this being said, I voted for Brawl anyway.

I wouldn't want to take that away from anyone.

Life

Smash Hero
MK has better graphics in Brawl.

:troll:

IMO Falco looks a lot better though, but that's just me.

Smash is chess boxing. Brawl's speed chess, Melee's boxing. The comparison would be apt if not for 64, which is 64.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You were watching Meta Knight, What do you expect?

I can play that card too. Doesn't change the fact that everybody has their preferences, and clearly both games have more to offer than hand-selected picks.

:093:
You were watching Snake, what do you expect?
You were watching Diddy, what do you expect?
You were watching *insert any character because they all play the same, run away and throw **** if you can*, what do you expect?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You were watching Snake, what do you expect?
You were watching Diddy, what do you expect?
You were watching *insert any character because they all play the same, run away and throw **** if you can*, what do you expect?
You could argue that for any fighting game. In most fighting games people only press the same 5 buttons in any given order.

Competitive video games, just like any other form of competition, is literally the same thing over and over again with just a select few formations, plays, moves, techniques, etc. It's how they are executed and how people use them originally or creatively that makes them exciting.

Besides, most competitive sports, games, or really anything is really only liked by people who know the rules, or at least the very basics. That's why I'd rather watch basketball instead of rugby, or Street Fighter over Tekken; I don't know anything about about rugby or Tekken. If I knew anything about them, I'd probably be just as interested in them as basketball or Street Fighter.

Although why people are interested in things like competitive sheep shearing
or competitive Call of Duty: Black Ops
is beyond me. :embarrass: :chuckle: :awesome:

Hax

Smash Champion
its funny when Brawlers point to Jigglypuff dittos (which we rarely even see anymore), the most boring matchup among the tourney viable characters (and still more entertaining than any brawl matchup), and try to use them as the standard for melee. you guys definitely know what you're talking about

Pikaville

You were watching Meta Knight, What do you expect?

I can play that card too. Doesn't change the fact that everybody has their preferences, and clearly both games have more to offer than hand-selected picks.

:093:
Oh come on now.

Dittos by default are usually boring.

Here we have two of the best players in the game, using their best characters, which also happen to be the 2 best characters.

I MEAN HELLO!?

You are watching Snake throw grenades across map and maybe get a grab in.

If that's not happening MK is either furiously mashing b when he gets near Snake, or spamming one aerial.

Comparing this to say Bombsoilder's Falco and Captain Jack's Sheik.

There is literally an Encyclopedia of awesome things that could happen in that match at any given moment.

Check this out..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnUHeHCH0Cs

I just can't believe M2K actually enjoys playing Brawl, considering he is so good at Melee.

I guess I'll never understand it, or you guys.(who prefer watching brawl)

Pengie

Smash Lord
ITT: Brawl players get all defensive (what a surprise!) when they're told that their game is bad, followed by them failing to troll Melee players :troll:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Dude Aidan that picture just proves that Melee is uglier. Compared FD and BF in Melee to FD and BF in Brawl. There is just no contest. Way more detail. Way prettier.

I'd say Kirby looks about the same though when he isn't doing any moves.

Melee players just wish they could be playing a game as pretty as Brawl.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Dude Aidan that picture just proves that Melee is uglier. Compared FD and BF in Melee to FD and BF in Brawl. There is just no contest. Way more detail. Way prettier.

Project M.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I'm sure one thing Melee players and Brawl players can agree on is that Project M is pure trash. That fact may be the thing that heals this community actually.

Pikaville

I'm not a person to look at graphics because IMO, the demand for nice graphics is what is ruining video games these days.

It's all about gameplay.

Fox is REALLY ugly in brawl though :p

He looks like he was in a horrific Arwing accident that caved in his face.

It's obviously a much nicer looking game, I can't dispute that.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
its funny when Brawlers point to Jigglypuff dittos (which we rarely even see anymore), the most boring matchup among the tourney viable characters (and still more entertaining than any brawl matchup), and try to use them as the standard for melee. you guys definitely know what you're talking about
I find Falco vs Marth, and other matchups in Brawl more fun than Puff dittos in Melee. But then most matchups in Melee are a lot more entertaining. There are exceptions everywhere though.

Pikaville

I will give you that, Falco and Marth in brawl are actually ok to watch.

I like G&W too, something about him in brawl is just great.

Pikachu is also badass, very AT heavy character if I'm correct.

Sheik dittos in melee are nearly as bad as Jiggs.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

You're comparing the graphics of a 2008 game to a 2001 game.

You are so smrt.

shanus

Smash Hero
I'm sure one thing Melee players and Brawl players can agree on is that Project M is pure trash. That fact may be the thing that heals this community actually.
tons of people care to disagree. brawl players are so territorial and hate on something they haven't even tried a demo version of.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Falco loses if he camps. End of Story.

That said, not camping is not running in and attacking people shields. Melee players are spoiled by that and are terrible at normal aspects of the game that should be learn before any stupid techniques(Spacing, tech chases not from chain grabs, how to put your opponent in a bad position.)
Only top level Melee players know these things. They're needed to play Brawl well. Since M2K knows a lot of these things he's good in Brawl and can understand the mindgames, whereas tons of other Melee players just prefer their blind, stupid, autopilot attack fest.

Jigglypuff has won every major tournament in the past 2 years except for maybe 1 or 2 tournaments.

Bair, uthrow, uair, utilt, rest.

Same 5 moves over and over again.
On every stage.

In that Brawl match, Brinstar is really bad for Snake because of what you saw. That doesn't happen against smart Snake players on other stages.

Just stop being so mad that Brawl ended up winning where Melee died off at.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Falco loses if he camps. End of Story.

That said, not camping is not running in and attacking people shields. Melee players are spoiled by that and are terrible at normal aspects of the game that should be learn before any stupid techniques(Spacing, tech chases not from chain grabs, how to put your opponent in a bad position.)
If you're letting someone attack your shield, you've already made a mistake <_<.

Just stop being so mad that you're bad at melee.

:p

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
If you're letting someone attack your shield, you've already made a mistake <_<.

Just stop being so mad that you're bad at melee.

:p
Hell yeah no one ever attacks anyones shield ever.

No wonder why Melee players are terrible at Brawl

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
There needs to be a giant bridge emoticon to represent how much trolling is going on in a thread. And put it above the first trollvictim. Secondly, my opinion on this is that I don't care. I play Melee more than Brawl. Lol.

Pikaville

Just stop being so mad that Brawl ended up winning where Melee died off at.
HAHAHAHAH.

What?

Brawl was on the MLG circuit how many years before they dropped it?

Yeah.......

Hell yeah no one ever attacks anyones shield ever.

No wonder why Melee players are terrible at Brawl
That's the biggest generalization ever and you know it.

When 2 of my friends got brawl imported I barely played it and still managed to win most of the time.

Marth and G&W all day son.

Oh tripping and auto canceling is great too.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
HAHAHAHAH.

What?
Who?

Brawl was on the MLG circuit how many years before they dropped it?
1 due to nintendo not letting them publicize it. It had nothing to do with anything else. If they had nintendo's support, I'm 100% positive they would still have Brawl in the circuit.

Yeah.......
Another Melee ignorant statement just thrown out to prove nothing

That's the biggest generalization ever and you know it.
You were the one who mentioned that if you hit someone's shield you're doing something wrong.Edit: ok It wasn't you but it was still a Melee player so my point is still valid.

When 2 of my friends got brawl imported I barely played it and still managed to win most of the time.
Very few subconscious practice vs no practice. Who do you think would win.

Besides, you being better than your friends doesn't prove anything besides how much you love attention.

Oh tripping and auto canceling is great too.
Phantom rests are amazing. Instead of there being a chance where you get messed up from tripping, it's guaranteed you're getting messed up badly. Auto canceling means you need to get better at timing and spacing. Learn to think about your attacks instead of randomly Melee-ing them around everywhere.
And how's Melee doing on the circuit now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom