• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Vote here to keep Brawl for the 2011 circuit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hax

Smash Champion
Tommy_G some of the things you're saying about melee are actually disturbing (namely melee players sucking at spacing/other "important aspects")... if you're going to desperately defend brawl at least come up with truthful arguments please

also are you even good at the game you try so desperately to defend? i've never heard of you

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Why did this turn into Melee vs Brawl?

Tommy_G some of the things you're saying about melee are actually disturbing (namely melee players sucking at spacing/other "important aspects")... if you're going to desperately defend brawl at least come up with truthful arguments please

also are you even good at the game you try so desperately to defend? i've never heard of you
Pretty uncalled for right here. His arguments may be wrong in some aspects but man this takes the cake of uncalled for.

So how's Brawl doing on the circuit now?

I heard something about Sundance praising Brawl for a great honest season and that he hopes to have Brawl for another.

Seems like things are looking up for Brawl!
Can you post without purposefully trying to piss people off?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Ok Tommy_G.

1st of all you can't say that with Nintendo support Brawl would still be on the circuit.

I know for a fact that at least 2 other issues were involved, one being lack of numbers and the other being the bracket manipulation, so don't even go there.

Secondly, when I said I was still better at Brawl than my friends even though they owned the game and I didn't you said
"Very few subconscious practice vs no practice. Who do you think would win."
What is that even supposed to mean exactly?

I would expect the people who own the game to win more often.

Then you said
"Besides, you being better than your friends doesn't prove anything besides how much you love attention."
This is an outlandish statement, you don't even know me.

I'm better than my friends because I have more dexterous fingers, am a smarter player and have better spacing, mind games and tech skill.

It's also not just my friends I'm better than, it's the whole country.

Since when does being the best at a video game get you loads of attention?

It certainly doesn't over here.

I don't know what kind of friends YOU have.

Lastly
"Auto canceling means you need to get better at timing and spacing. Learn to think about your attacks instead of randomly Melee-ing them around everywhere."
So I guess having to press NO BUTTONS as you land as opposed to pressing 1 BUTTON every time you do is having better timing.

Also depending on whether they shield or not changed the timing of the L_Cancel, the game won't just do it for you, thus you needed to take that into account and adjust timing accordingly.

"Learn to think of attacks instead of RANDOMLY melee-ing them around."
Yeah, I mean that pillar combo only required and huge amount of very precise button presses in quick succession to pull off, there was definitely no thought put in there.

I think the word you meant was purposefully or precisely.

I'm sorry for sparking this **** off AGAIN, but I just can't sit here and lets this Tommy guy say the things he is saying.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Ok Tommy_G.

1st of all you can't say that with Nintendo support Brawl would still be on the circuit.

I know for a fact that at least 2 other issues were involved, one being lack of numbers and the other being the bracket manipulation, so don't even go there.
I'm aware of these other issues and Sundance has said that those issues are not what determined Brawl's return, or lack thereof, to the circuit.
Secondly, when I said I was still better at Brawl than my friends even though they owned the game and I didn't you said
Assuming you played Melee and they didn't, there is still some kind of intellect of spacing and other stuff(not much of it but its still there) that you're not aware of. Very few subconscious knowledge is better than none at all.

What is that even supposed to mean exactly?

I would expect the people who own the game to win more often.

Then you said

This is an outlandish statement, you don't even know me.

I'm better than my friends because I have more dexterous fingers, am a smarter player and have better spacing, mind games and tech skill.

It's also not just my friends I'm better than, it's the whole country.
ok, if I thought you loved the attention before, I was wrong, but damn this takes it. If it's not for attention, then you must have a superiority complex.

Since when does being the best at a video game get you loads of attention?

It certainly doesn't over here.

I don't know what kind of friends YOU have.
Looks like someone needs to calm down. Just saying you're better than your friends and you don't own the game doesn't mean anything. Seibrik is the best in FL and just recently got a wii. How would I know if you practice outside of your house or people come over often to practice.

Idk about where you're at, but here we like to give credit to those who have worked hard and acheived their goals to become the best. It's respect. Look into it.

Lastly

So I guess having to press NO BUTTONS as you land as opposed to pressing 1 BUTTON every time you do is having better timing.
I don't know where you think everything is like Falco's landing when lasering. Autocanceling requires a specific timing for the auto cancel to come out, usually a timing that puts you in a bad situation.

You can't just throw out moves without caring where they hit because they can be L canceled.

Also depending on whether they shield or not changed the timing of the L_Cancel, the game won't just do it for you, thus you needed to take that into account and adjust timing accordingly.
Just because it's difficult doesn't mean it's not in the game.

Yeah, I mean that pillar combo only required and huge amount of very precise button presses in quick succession to pull off, there was definitely no thought put in there.
Lmao pillaring is Falco 101. I can pillar. It's just L canceled Dairs and JC shines. It also proves my point about Melee is just throwing around a bunch of attacks. Pillaring is for shield pressure. I remember "you're doing something wrong if you're letting someone attack your shield."
I think the word you meant was purposefully or precisely.

I'm sorry for sparking this **** off AGAIN, but I just can't sit here and lets this Tommy guy say the things he is saying.
Prove me wrong. Yes, I'm terrible at Brawl. Next time you come to Florida, wanna money match? Or what about a smash 64 money match? I refuse to play Melee. Every time I give that game a chance it validates how bad it is.

Pikaville

All my friends played Melee as much as me and played Brawl far more, so that's that.

Superiority complex?

No man, it's called the truth.I'm unbeaten at melee tournaments here since 06.I didn't enter the 1st Brawl one we had but did go to the 2nd one and won that.

I'm not even saying I'm super amazing at the game, what I am saying is there is literally no one in Ireland who can beat me, it's been proven 4 years in a row.

I don't do it for attention, I do it because I love the game and want to win.

I do have respect from my fellow smashers, but the way you originally went on about it made me out to be an attention seeker for winning, which makes no sense.I put in work in to become good at the game.

I am really sick of arguing with you because all you do is make assumptions about me and even sicker of you changing the subject away from my initial points,1st of which is Brawl is boring to watch, 2nd of which is it takes less skill to play.

You have yet to give me anything to convince me otherwise.

the fact that you think shield pressure requires no mindgames tells the world you know absolutely nothing

you realize that all shield pressure is escapable and that any good player (read: not you) can roll or shield grab Falco's shield pressure? The key is mindgames son and you don't have them.

L-canceled moves still have lag on them and can be punished too. You must be stupid to think you can just throw out aerials and land with impunity. this ain't metaknight

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Boring is subjective, I personally find Melee less fun. Stop bringing fun or boring into something trying to pass it off as fact.

Brawl does take less technical skill, that is true, but I don't care for that fact.

Pimp, there are a lot of aerials if shielded or such while L cancelled you cannot punish, don't downplay that fact about Melee.

This is why people Dashdance and Wavedash instead of shielding when being defensive because Melee has huge shield lag.

yeah like if you let a Marth space tipped fairs on your shield then of course you're not going to be able to punish it.

if Fox nairs your shield then you can punish him if you guess his next action correctly. i.e Falcon can stomp OOS to dodge the shine after a nair, etc.

there are plenty of OOS options that allow for punishing while still allowing for offensive play because of shieldstun/lag.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
All my friends played Melee as much as me and played Brawl far more, so that's that.

Superiority complex?

No man, it's called the truth.I'm unbeaten at melee tournaments here since 06.I didn't enter the 1st Brawl one we had but did go to the 2nd one and won that.
You don't need to be throwing around your accomplishments to prove your point. Only someone who craves attention or wants to appear as the "alpha male" does that. Usually, its a superiority complex.
A player can learn certain things faster than others. Real players become stronger while autopilot players suffer. Every player doesn't learn at the same rate nor are exposed to the same quality of mental training.

I'm not even saying I'm super amazing at the game, what I am saying is there is literally no one in Ireland who can beat me, it's been proven 4 years in a row.
Great job. Everybody give him a round of applause. Tell him how great he is. The smash sensei is here. I can't believe I've been talking to such a good player. No one will ever beat him. "Gamemaster" never loses a game.

I don't do it for attention, I do it because I love the game and want to win.

I do have respect from my fellow smashers, but the way you originally went on about it made me out to be an attention seeker for winning, which makes no sense.I put in work in to become good at the game.
The joking aside, you said people do not care about video games and the work put in to getting better in your region. Respect is defined: esteem for or a sense of worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability,.... Oh really now? Look at that. Lots of inconsistancies in your posts. Ease up on your anger. Don't Melee around random statements and hope they fit together.

I am really sick of arguing with you because all you do is make assumptions about me and even sicker of you changing the subject away from my initial points,1st of which is Brawl is boring to watch, 2nd of which is it takes less skill to play. How typical that you would seek the approval of something subjective, almost as if you're fishing for why Melee is better. A game's level of how competitive it can be isn't based on something as subjective as "fun." Ridiculous technical skill doesn't mean a game takes more mental skill, like how chess takes no tech skill but is more intellectually advanced than Melee. Don't get tech skill and mental skill confused.

You have yet to give me anything to convince me otherwise.
A Pimp Named Slickback said:
the fact that you think shield pressure requires no mindgames tells the world you know absolutely nothing

you realize that all shield pressure is escapable and that any good player (read: not you) can roll or shield grab Falco's shield pressure? The key is mindgames son and you don't have them.

L-canceled moves still have lag on them and can be punished too. You must be stupid to think you can just throw out aerials and land with impunity. this ain't metaknight
Like what Red Ryu said. Some attacks on shields are free. I believe it was said that "if you are letting them hit your shield, you're doing something wrong."

Did you just say....roll.... in Melee? I don't need to say anything more.

Btw this is my last wall post. If I post again it's not going to be with this much writing.

Pikaville

I love the way you think I'm angry, again more idiotic assumptions.

You are also now putting words in my mouth which I never said.

Sarcasm isn't helping you it's just making you look like an idiot.

Chess has no technical skill......you have got to be kidding me.

Just stop now, that last sentence statement about chess just proves you don't even think about what you say.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Somethings making you throw out words without putting them together before you say them.Copying words from older posts and reusing them in the context they were used is not putting words in your mouth.Right, because sarcasm is meant to be taken seriously.Understanding your logic makes my brain hurt...Because moving a piece from point a to point b requires tech skill...

Mind games=\=Tech skill

Pikaville

I think someone needs to look back over their own posts and realize how many times they either.

a) Used slander to provoke a reaction
b) Made ridiculous assumptions
c) Changed certain words to make their argument more valid(getting attention somehow became about getting respect)

I'm going to stop communicating with you after saying this, because it is the most incorrect thing you said so far.

Chess has technical skill, you have to be blind not to see this.

A player can learn to recognize and exploit tiny tiny advantages and turn them into huge advantages using their knowledge of the game.

Technical skill by definition:

"The knowledge and abilities needed to accomplish mathematical, engineering, scientific or computer-related duties, as well as other specific tasks."

Oh by the way....your brain probably hurts because your over exerting your mental capabilities.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Maybe I should have made it clear which definition of "technical skill" I was using. I was talking about widely accepted definition of being able to move fast enough and time certain inputs in a difficult manner to perform new techniques.

I was never ever relating your desire for attention with how there is no respect in your region.

Or it could be because I'm talking about Melee. It's too slow for my thinking.
A Pimp Named Slickback said:
Aw man yeah nobody ever rolls in Melee I must be terrible at my game sorry Tommy.
lmao they don't.

Enzo

Smash Lord
just made 5 accounts and put dem votes on Gears of War 2 cos that game is the ****.
Shotgun that makes bodies explode > Brawl >(insert anything here) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Melee coz that **** got tech skill BRO, (Marth F-smash off edge= MAD TECH SKILL)
SMH

inb4RAGE

Xaltis

Smash Hero
just made 5 accounts and put dem votes on Gears of War 2 cos that game is the ****.
Shotgun that makes bodies explode > Brawl >(insert anything here) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Melee coz that **** got tech skill BRO, (Marth F-smash off edge= MAD TECH SKILL)
SMH

inb4RAGE

I like your avi/sig BLM.

well DAMN I guess every melee player is playing the game wrong by rolling

**** tommy impart some more of your wisdom onto us melee scrubs

maybe we should abuse that broken instant-airdodge out of hitstun that's in melee! oh wait lol my bad

edit: are you a girl Xaltis? or just a very feminine weeabo guy

Xaltis

Smash Hero

maybe we should abuse that broken instant-airdodge out of hitstun that's in melee! oh wait lol my bad

My real name is Taylor Rose.

What do you think?

GreenAce

Smash Ace

LOL who are you a random scrub that rolls in melee. Stay free.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Pfft. I roll in Melee. The ladies love me for it. Tech skill < Rolling. Especially with Mewcaritwo. Throw in some lasers and super wavedashes and it gets any Melee player laid. Try it.

Hax

Smash Champion
wait what the f*ck? rolling is amazing in melee provided you don't overuse it.. LOOOOL at brawl players calling something bad because it can't be spammed

last i remember (i played brawl during its first year) rolling wasn't even an option as its slow to the point where its free damage for anyone decent at the game

in melee its one of the best options against shield pressure

**** who to believe... the accomplished Falcon player Hax or Brawl nobody Tommy_G?

tough choice ladies and gentlemen

also there are plenty of men named Taylor.

fragbait

Smash Master
ITT: Sweeping generalizations. :awesome:
qft

Also, I said it once, I said it again. Why is this forum section still open?

Melee and Brawl are good on their own merits. It comes down to player preference.

Smash Community doesn't need MLG to succeed. It proved that after Melee was off the circuit and Brawl will continue to prove that (as will the Melee Community, good stuff guys, 10 years).

Also, there's a mod in this thread, and spam infractions are not being handed out, nor is the thread being closed. I'm disappoint SWF staff.

tl;dr quit yer whining, both sides.

/thread

Mods, please lock this awful thread.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
You don't need to be throwing around your accomplishments to prove your point. Only someone who craves attention or wants to appear as the "alpha male" does that. Usually, its a superiority complex.
A player can learn certain things faster than others. Real players become stronger while autopilot players suffer. Every player doesn't learn at the same rate nor are exposed to the same quality of mental training.

Great job. Everybody give him a round of applause. Tell him how great he is. The smash sensei is here. I can't believe I've been talking to such a good player. No one will ever beat him. "Gamemaster" never loses a game.

The joking aside, you said people do not care about video games and the work put in to getting better in your region. Respect is defined: esteem for or a sense of worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability,.... Oh really now? Look at that. Lots of inconsistancies in your posts. Ease up on your anger. Don't Melee around random statements and hope they fit together.

How typical that you would seek the approval of something subjective, almost as if you're fishing for why Melee is better. A game's level of how competitive it can be isn't based on something as subjective as "fun." Ridiculous technical skill doesn't mean a game takes more mental skill, like how chess takes no tech skill but is more intellectually advanced than Melee. Don't get tech skill and mental skill confused.

Hmmmmmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom