• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 3 Stock'd ~ Melbourne 2010 ~ Nope

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Actually, since that status quo is that the stages are banned, it's your responsibility to detail why they should be unbanned.

Also remember that in the end it does come down to our decision, so it's your job to convince us why it should be changed.

Timic83

Smash Ace
Moorabbin/Hampton East, Melbourne, Australia
summit: ice does nothing but enhances different characters ground playstyles making it perfect for counterpick

no ledges means its good vs certain chars, good for CP (after all we dont ban frigate)

air portion is fine just adapt the same way you would on ps2 (which sould also be legal, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285744)

fish is easy to not get killed by (simply jump and quickly airdodge while moving in a direction), and if you got spiked into it, you deserve to die, same stuff happens on brinstar lava

rumble falls: the spike is very easy to see coming, and even if you do get hit its possible to tech

walkoffs are nullified cos there are many portions of the stage where you arent in the middle, and its always moving so the palyers abusing walkoffs will have to move

speed up isnt that much of a problem even if your a slow character, utilise dem ladders, and this makes it a good cp for fast characters

port town: no ledge = good cp vs tetherers

cars are all on set timers, just like the brinstar lava

you can usually see the cars coming from the bakground, and even if you cant (sideays ars **** part with huge ramp on the left) you can go to the top paltform for a safe zone. the same **** happens on pictochat, and there its random

the cars can be used to help characters that suk at killing (sheek, samus) and makes it a good cp

Vermy

Smash Champion
I really don't think we need to justify why Rumble falls, Port Town Aero Drive and Summit aren't banworthy.

But for your sake, I'll reiterate.

Those stages force the player to fight against the stage, not their opponent. There are many other glaring weaknesses in the stages you mentioned, but since you can't understand why SBR labelled them as banned, it'd be a moot point to mention them.

Timic83

Smash Ace
Those stages force the player to fight against the stage, not their opponent.
is there anything wrong with that i mean once you take maybe 20 mins in training mode the stage dosent become a problem and you know when stuff happens. i mean stuff like halberd stage hazards, pictochat random spikes/missiles and brinstar lava are ok so why not this

note: after talking to a friend i sorta agree summit and falls might be a bit too extreme, but thats no reason to leave port town, distant planet, japes, norfair, weegees and pirate ship out

Vermy

Smash Champion
Distant Planet: walk offs. Any character with a cg or named mk instantly gets an advantage. Characters with strong throws as well. People die at stupid, STUPID percentages.

Japes: Falco and Wario are almost untouchable here, forcing you to ban either this or another hated CP. Either way, it's almost a free win. It's also a stage that forces camping and often leads to time outs.

After typing this stuff out, I realise the real arguments as to why those stages are illegal already exist. Not to mention, we've been over this before and I think I speak for myself and Conor when I say we're not going through it again. If anything, we'll review the stagelist and ruleset along with top PR players to decide on any possible changes. At this point, you're a minority. If you have LEGITIMATE arguments to the table, by all means, enlighten me. But "I just don't see why ______ isn't legal," isn't gonna cut it.

@CAO: squee! =D Lezz tear it up, bru. Azn style.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
summit: ice does nothing but enhances different characters ground playstyles making it perfect for counterpick

no ledges means its good vs certain chars, good for CP (after all we dont ban frigate)

air portion is fine just adapt the same way you would on ps2 (which sould also be legal, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285744)

fish is easy to not get killed by (simply jump and quickly airdodge while moving in a direction), and if you got spiked into it, you deserve to die, same stuff happens on brinstar lava

rumble falls: the spike is very easy to see coming, and even if you do get hit its possible to tech

walkoffs are nullified cos there are many portions of the stage where you arent in the middle, and its always moving so the palyers abusing walkoffs will have to move

speed up isnt that much of a problem even if your a slow character, utilise dem ladders, and this makes it a good cp for fast characters

port town: no ledge = good cp vs tetherers

cars are all on set timers, just like the brinstar lava

you can usually see the cars coming from the bakground, and even if you cant (sideays ars **** part with huge ramp on the left) you can go to the top paltform for a safe zone. the same **** happens on pictochat, and there its random

the cars can be used to help characters that suk at killing (sheek, samus) and makes it a good cp
hahahahaha

Man I've been waiting for a good time to use that picture for so long.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i don't remember any of those stages on the dgs ruleset, timic
therefore not legit

Timic83

Smash Ace
dgs also had fd as a neutral
thats pretty ****ing not legit

port town: already explained... weve had this at 1 tourny and i dont think anyone complained, anyone that did needs to learn the stage, you dont see them complaining about brinstar lava cos they trained on it

distant planet: the water and pellets help stop walkoff kills, and like yi:m its up a slope, making it easier to use disjointed aerials to stop the walkoff abusers. walkoffs also arnet that big a deal when you get to pick character after stage, as you can just pick a character with projectiles and they **** walkoff abusers. lets say there is an mk trying to walkoff camp... change to oli or pika or falco or diddy or snake or anyone with projectiles and **** him, forces them to approach, or hell just pivot grab and walkoff him yourself. these walkoff reasonings are also why i think yi:m should be legal

japes: im pretty sure mk is untouchable on lots of stages too. this stage has nothing wrong with it, and if people have to ban this just give players 2 bans and have a more liberal (nova scotia) stage list

norfair: no seriously theres nothing wrong with this stage. any **** that comes is warned in advance (unlike picto) and the lava is no worse than brinstar (mk shouldnt be able to cp non-neutrals would be legit)

weegees: break the mansion if it pisses you off so much. shutting down projectile characters periodically does noting but make this stage good as a cp

pirate ship: bombs arent a problem there shown well in advance, the catapult is easy to see in advance, the water is not big deal and stops "walkoffs", plus i hear this stage is crap for mk as the water stops gimping

greens, cruise, ps2: i honestly am expecting these stages to be in the next ruleset as they are in many parts of america and again have nothing wrong

tibs7

Smash Champion
Attila's post:

Timic stop talking. Seriously. Do you even play this game?

Zxv

Smash Lord
If Port Town's cars weren't death @ 40%, then I think it would be legal as a starter counterpick. Just like Mute City in Melee.
Maybe.
Lack of ledges also make the stage incredibly difficult to recover on for characters like Fox, Falco, Wolf, Marth, Olimar and a whole load of others. But that's also the main reason why it would be a CP... Eh.

Guess what it comes down to is whether it forces certain characters to play on absolutely unusable stages for certain MUs (Falco vs MK - bans Brinstar, gets taken to Port Town => unwinnable => Offstage = death due to lack of ledges combined with MK's d/f-smash.).

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah I'd probably be pro PTAD if the cars didn't kill stupidly early.
Yes I'm aware that there are always "safe positions" where cars won't hit you in specific transformations, but the difference is, someone gets lucky and gets hit into a car once when they're outplaying their opponent and lose a match; whilst a time you hit your opponent and don't get this opportunity.

Summit has similar issues with the fish, there are also notable time out issues (circle camping).

Dekar289

Smash Hero
how about 1 neutral - smashville
0 counterpicks

doesn't everyone love smashville

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
i think we should stop talking about stupid stages that are never going to be legal (summit etc) and talk about bringing rainbow cruise back!!!
its legal basically everwhere else in the world!we need to conform coz RC is amazing

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Starter
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Smashville
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium
Stater/Counterpick
  • [*]Final Destination - For Pools, there needs to be 4 or 6 stages, and I think adding FD to the starters would be better than removing PS1 or Lylat.
Counterpick
  • [*]Castle Siege
    [*]Delfino Plaza
    [*]Halberd
    [*]Frigate Orpheon
    [*]Brinstar
    [*]Pictochat
Doubles Counterpick
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Jungle Japes
  • Norfair
These stages might be moved to singles CPs.

All other stages are banned.

~~~~

Also, I would like some standardization of the NSW and VIC stagelists if possibly.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
I don't see how YI (Melee) can be legal in doubles and not in singles. Is double's play on it really that different? Heck I wouldn't mind for it to be legal in singles it just seems so different to most stages which is why I could see it banned.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Two characters can often deal with tactics that one would struggle against.

For doubles I just took the rest of the Counterpick stages btw, and I just left them all there for people to argue for if they wanted too.

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
Starters
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Smashville
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium

Counterpicks
  • Final Destination
  • Castle Siege
  • Delfino Plaza
  • Halberd
  • Frigate Orpheon
  • Brinstar
  • Pictochat

~~~~

These are the stages I am willing to consider including in Counterpicks. (in order of preference)
  • Pokémon Stadium 2
  • Rainbow Cruise
  • Jungle Japes
  • Norfair

These are the stages am I considering including in Doubles Counterpicks only. (in order of preference)
  • Green Greens
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Distant Planet
  • Pirate Ship
  • Port Town Aero Dive
  • Yoshi's Island (Melee)

~~~~

Also, I would like some standardization of the NSW and VIC stagelists if possibly.
^this

lets try all these stages, at least at one tourney to see how it goes.
probably the only ones here that might be a little bit to crazy are yoshi's island (melee) and port town

Top Bottom