• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
His throws send his opponents flying off the stage. What more positional advantage can you ask for? What I think you really want is braindead airdodge traps. Because thats what it sounds like.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Shuirkens are hilarious now

At release you had to worry about their tick throw setups but their startup was really bad, and this made them less effective for camping (though still very good).

They now have faster startup and last for about 44 total frames. They retain their fast travel speed and good range. They are SO good for forcing approaches.

I love this patch
Are the shurikens broke like sheik's needles? That falco laser comparison has me worried.
nvm saw Full Moon's post in the previous page.

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
His throws send his opponents flying off the stage. What more positional advantage can you ask for? What I think you really want is braindead airdodge traps. Because thats what it sounds like.
Yeah I think it'd be convenient if they had something similar to what you described.
Well obviously my opinions differ from yours so I'll just try and learn from your perspectives and continue my day haha.

CO18

Smash Hero
i was implying that the numbers dont matter in :rosalina: vs :4dk: because if you **** up once you're dead at 50. not unlike :4ganondorf:. i'd be hasty on calling it worse than 6:4, since now she has to worry ALOT about being grabbed. with rage, its as simple as getting 1-2 hits and blowing her away. and dk has actual mobility and a decent grab range.

also, how volatile is this mu on halberd? both characters dying sub 50% on easy stuff is hilarious

and dk has cargo up toss->aerial up b for like 30% at lower %.
I just tested this crap, there's like a 17% range that the cargo to up air will true combo and kill at the same time. It's not broken, DK is just going to end up getting the falco brawl treatment and platform camped once the person is in that combo+kill range until they're out of it. A major buff, but its nothing to be that worried about.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Something nice about Greninja's D-Throw -> F-Air combo is that it helps him seal stocks during that awkward period where the opponent is at a high % and his combos aren't working as well, but Up-Throw doesn't kill yet.

Oh and it combos into footstool at around 30-40%. It's actually easier to do than the N-Air ones too, even I can do it.

Are the shurikens broke like sheik's needles? That falco laser comparison has me worried.
The shuriken still has the same end lag from before so if you get close enough to Greninja they're pretty unsafe to throw out and they still don't come out as fast as Sheik's needles.

The zoning with them is very powerful though, if your character is slow then you're going to struggle to catch Greninja while he pelts you with shurikens.

I can't see characters like Ganondorf and DK enjoying to fight Greninja with these buffs.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I hope they keep buffing the good Doctor.

More KO prescriptions are always welcome if they won't buff his speed.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Plenty more characters have options you need to respect now. Kills are getting easier for a number of characters. This may be a way of artificially speeding up the game. Also someone tell me how afraid we should be of Mii Swordfighter now. That looks pretty bad.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
:4miisword:: rags to riches in under 6 months

look at what the patches have done fam, they're happening too often imo

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
nvm saw Full Moon's post in the previous page.
I know you said nvm but yeah don't worry, they still have enough startup lag to be balanced. It's not an unreactable amount like Needles. They are really good, though.

Forget all this upper mid stuff, IMO Greninja is solidly high tier now because he really doesn't lack anything he had at release except God Usmash. Shurikens still aren't as good for combos or tick throws but meh, whatever, just camp them. Let the opponent take the approaching risks. His neutral actually makes sense again. Hell, the entire character actually makes sense again.

It'll be down to the players if Greninja doesn't make any kind of splash in tournaments now IMO.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I can honestly see Robin getting a nerf to his Arcthunder cooldown at some point, and I wouldn't be too miffed about it.

Robin can now chain literally every single one of his non-Thunder moves out of pointblank Arcthunder, including his two spikes. Something's gotta give eventually.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm getting really tired of Marth/Lucina mains trying to make Roy not matter.

Cut that bull**** out.
People need to understand Marth is actually good! Try playing Kirby and you'll see just how hard the matchup is! :^)

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I can honestly see Robin getting a nerf to his Arcthunder cooldown at some point, and I wouldn't be too miffed about it.

Robin can now chain literally every single one of his non-Thunder moves out of pointblank Arcthunder, including his two spikes. Something's gotta give eventually.
I wonder how good Arc Thunder would be if Robin's mobility is ever buffed haha

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

Robin's so bloody slow that it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he remained low tier anyway. I mean, Arcthunder into literally anything is nice, but is landing it in the first place something he can rely on?

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Robin's so bloody slow that it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he remained low tier anyway. I mean, Arcthunder into literally anything is nice, but is landing it in the first place something he can rely on?
With his new throw, forcing a shield is even scarier now imo.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Maining Mario is a double edged sword. You never have to worry about nerfs, but you never get a chance to get hype for buffs. I think in Nintendo's eyes, Mario is a perfectly balanced character.

Which is probably true.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
In addition to B-reversing creating openings, Robin's thrown sword/tomes and now-threatening D-throw will typically get people to either spotdodge, which Arcthunder beats directly, shield, which Arcthunder splays out on and locks them into the shield, leading to the Dthrow anyway, or roll away, which can get punished or force them into shield again by Arcthunder, leading to foxtrot Fsmash.

And if they roll towards Robin too late, Robin can shield/spotdodge/roll himself, thanks to the cooldown reduction.

Let's not forget that Arcthunder still deals a solid 10% and kills at 125 near the ledge.

The cooldown reduction just gives Robin a big safety net that he can take advantage of with in conjunction with his mutliple offensive measures, so that where before Arcthunder was a winner-takes-all kind of scenario, it is now an all-or-nothing deal, with the "nothing" also applied to the opponent.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord

Oh God no. The reward on Arcthunder is insane now, but it needs to be that way. His mobility is still ass and his recovery is exploitable; he'll still struggle against certain characters, but you can't count Robin out anymore because his reward is so much better now.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Thoron is still good for a long range whiff punisher, roll killer and projectile killer on majority of projectiles and if they so much as to press a button you blast them like Zeus. Also landing and airdodge traps.

Last edited:

Razputin13

Smash Rookie
NNID
Razputin13
Is there even a reason to use Thoron now? =V
If you use the strong Thoron (holding down B) then it's easier to hit offstage opponents with, does more damage, and KOs earlier (assuming you're not close enough to follow up). It'll never be irrelevant.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Thoron is still good for a long range whiff punisher, roll killer and projectile killer on majority of projectiles and if they so much as to press a button you blast them like Zeus. Also landing and airdodge traps.
It still annoys me that Thoron is weaker than Arcthunder. It's the max charge level, but Thoron+ is the only version that actually feels powerful.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Thorons comparable lack of power is understandable given that it's a screen nuke, especially in casual FFAs.

Arcthunder tho? It's got power on its own, and it makes all of Robin's moves Bouncing Fish off a hit confirm on top of it.

Bouncing Fishes that KO as early as 80%.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
So Zer0's hootin' and hollerin' on his twitter about how Luigi needs more nerfs now since the patch with 3 seperate statuses. I don't get it. Zer0's like the only player to still overblow him. I mean, Luigi got a weakened fireball with 3 frames of end lag now, which is much more noticeable than Sheik's nerfed fair. It's more o a pain to approach now and he can't fireball to grab. Unless Luigi's buffed up uppercut hitboxes and power prove to be troublesome...

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
At this point he looks like an attention*****.

The Fireball nerf might be crucial for Luigi's gameplan.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
If luigi was so good, Zero would play him.
not even top5, he might be a combo monster and brain dead in mid level gameplay but he has explotable weaknesses.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
quick qs: is :4greninja: a legit contender for top 10? is :4sonic: fsmash nerf really that significant(as in, enough to knock him out of top 5/10)? did :4fox: losing his jab knock him out of top 5/10?

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Greninja's mediocre shuriken was really holding him back and his matchups are good overall, so I hope we'll see more of him now. Fox losing jab setups is really bad but I expect most people maining him will stick with him.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Maybe, Yes, and No.

-Greninja will need more people to show results in order for him to be a top contender. He's good, but we're yet to see how much.
-Sonic has limited KO options, Fsmash was crucial (and so was Usmash), having it nerfed means he needs to work a lot harder (and as the metagame evolved, it was being more and more difficult for him to get anywhere).
-Fox got rid of an "infinite" (more like, a multiple chainable move), but it's still a setup for a powerful killmove.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
quick qs: is :4greninja: a legit contender for top 10? is :4sonic: fsmash nerf really that significant(as in, enough to knock him out of top 5/10)? did :4fox: losing his jab knock him out of top 5/10?
fox also got a new shine, he is still pretty solid.
I think :4greninja: is definetely top15, not top10 IMO.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
miis can be played online in tournament mode, with their own movesetscan.
is forced 1-1-1-1 dead now?
They can also be outright banned from the tourney, which is something that you can't do by changing the rules in Smash mode, and making them use their defaults isn't any less justifiable than it was beforehand.

EDIT: Also, these tourments are for free-for-alls, so why would this be adequate justification for having the Miis use their custom moves in tournaments that prohibit custom moves in the first place?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom