• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

NintendoVG13

Smash Rookie
This is Snowman speaking for me. I'm interested in starting to play Smash competitively.

Soooo, someone want to train me tonight. I'm going to be at the apartment soon.

hubble

Smash Ace
is that marble or the kid with the DS and the longish hair or is it dylan?

EITHER WAY, ill play an asston with you next time im over.

hubble

Smash Ace
put up the rit tournament thread so i can look for a doubles partner.

tall, mysterious, falcon playing turk looking for a slim, young, peach/jiggs/fox main to make cute teams combos with.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
A lot of people have been making posts about getting better, how to get better, getting better as a region, character diversity, rather to expand or excel, and becoming overall a better and stronger region. So being (In My opinion the spokes person for Central NY) i should make a post as well. Id like to point a few things from peoples past posts that i find i could discuss a little.

1) Jesse- we usually have similar mindsets when it comes to helping this region improve rather its expanding or excelling however there's a few things you stated recently that i am confused about.

In your most recent blog about community goals, you talk about the region as a whole but you refer to it as (and often do so) Western New York. Western New York is not the region, but a sub-region inside a region. Upstate or New York State should be the preferred region. I feel this should be discussed mainly because there is way more to upstate than just WNY, Majority of the tournaments held now consist of 60-70% Central/Eastern New York players. I'm sure this isn't your intention at all to make post strictly regarding to WNY but you should remember that if your trying to make a post about community goals to include the whole community.

2) Jesse-Kyle-Snowman (Regarding expansion over excelling)

Everyone is so focused on getting better and getting our region recognized as a good region.

I think everyone is focusing on the wrong things.

Instead of taking the people in our community and making them better, right now we should be trying to expand our community in general.

We only have about 20 people entering our melee tourneys at most and around 30 people entering for brawl. you just cant have a national level community with numbers like that. We need to focus on bringing more people into the community.

NYS smash has improved immensely in the last year and a half. And i believe that most of that can be attributed to cura. He is steady finding people to add to the smash community. and when you have more people to play with, you are exposed to more styles and you learn more things about smash faster. Thats why Syracuse is where about 50% of attendence for any tourney in the state is going to come from, and thats why if it werent for the fact that rochester has a group of really old school skilled players like myself, san, and neil, Syracuse would easily be the most skilled part of the region as well.

Thats why we need to instead of focusing on power leveling the low number of people that we have, we need to start an initiative to get more people playing all over the state. Because if we can get enough people playing all over, the levels will power themselves.
Wrong and right.
Expansion is by far the most important thing in this region, but at the same time we should focus on excelling, but we cant excel past a certain skill without more players. Your topic is true but contradicts itself in the same post.

I couldn't disagree any more.

Our focus is to improve not to expand. You can multitask that **** anyway.

If people don't want to play Smash here, then they don't want to play. Bottom line.
This is maybe 1 of the stupidest posts Ive read recently and Upstate talks about some dumb ****. You keep practicing in the apartment with the same people every night and the only thing your going to learn is their play styles. In order to excel past the mental block that everyone hit eventually you need to learn a wide variety of match ups and play styles that you wont find in the small melee scene we currently have. Expansion is the only way to over come that roadblock.

Problem is Snowman, that people DO want to play. Its just that with the exception of Cura, were all doing a piss poor job of 1. finding those people. and 2. exposing those people to the competitive aspect of smash IN A WAY that will facilitate them coming to more events and increasing the scene.

More people means more opportunities.

Means more cars to bring people to the tourneys. Means more playstyles and characters to get familiar with so that we are prepared when we go out of state. Means more people to rep us when we go out of state. Can even mean more money to possibly spread around the group, and loan around to people so more of us can do stuff like travel and go to more tourneys.
This is 100% true. Think clearly everyone. We want to become a power region, We want to excel our gameplay. We NEED more players. Ive been expanding our sub-region of Central New York for a long time now with the help of a lot of other people (Leet/Bry) And can tell ive improved my match up knowledge 10folds. Example, since Bry and I hosted SS2 we now have James G (SS2 was his first main stream competitive tournament) He loved it, and hes extremely good. We now have in our region (because we tried to expand) a good lucario main, who can give us solid lucario and samus match up experience.

Kyle, we can train and practice and improve at home. Finding people that not only like Smash, but have time to play it, AND are dedicated enough to pick it up competitively...That's like 1/100 people. There's no real way to just go searching for them.

Amber brought over these two kids that she met to play Melee last night. Ok, she found two new people. Cool. Then when they started playing, they started complaining and were annoyed and wanted to go home. It's clear they will not be playing the game for very long.

Finding new Smashers is not easy. The best we can do is advertise at our schools and when people show up to tournies, hope that they actually like competitive play.
This is a very poor mindset, just cause one group of people dont join our community doesn't mean other will. When you lost to minh did you give up? No, it made you focus harder. Same should apply with this. Not everyone will join but people will eventually if we keep trying, and who knows some may be extremely good.

3) Jesse (Character Diversity)

Im not 100% sure but i think the character diversity issue just applies to melee? Our brawl scene is more diverse than ever i think.

Anyways those were a few topics i wanted to touch base on. I will now be making my post on how i think the community can improve expand and do what is need to become a top region.

Community Goals.

I have very similar goals to JesiahTEG but my approach is very different. Of course we want a power region, a lot of players, And of course good players. So id like to explain each is depth and how to achieve these goals.

Skill

I am going to be 100% straight forward and honest, I am very disappointed in the sub-region WNY. Very very very disappointed. (this does not include everyone, i will not list names but you know who you are) You guys have such love for the game and desire to improve but you don't go anywhere. I throw a fest every weekend almost and you guys never show up. I know what your thinking probably, We can just smash at the apartment no need to go to Syracuse, Well how do you expect to get better? How do you expect to learn new play styles? How do you expect to learn new character match ups? While I know all of you have love for the game and desire to get better. I feel as of now they are just words. You guys rarely travel out of state, rarely travel to even local tournaments at Syracuse. Hell you guys wont even go to tournaments in your own region. I have more people at the melee tournaments at my smash fest than you guys do at your own locals. Syracuse 3 melee turn out was sad. There was about 5-6 people who said they were coming for melee and decided not to. You guys wanna get better and have a better community than cut **** and start doing it.

Now back on topic of skill.

My approach is a lot different than how Jesiah explains his. His ideals is for him to teach everyone what he can. While this may work i feel its limited. Advice of a top player should never be ignored or disregarded, They know what they are talking about and usually have the intention to help. However I feel to achieve a higher skill you cant just learn from 1 person you need to learn from everyone good and bad. That why i feel a majority of us cant even make it out of pools a big tournaments.

Smash apartment for example, You guys have probably mastered each others play styles, bad habits, combos etc. But when you play other players that you don't know how to read you lose (minus a few older players who have a lot more experience) If we want to get better we have to come to tournaments. Plain and simple.

We have to come together more as a region. I know its hard cause we dont have as many tournaments as nyc. But we have to figure something out. Its easier for us brawling cause we can wifi, and learn match up and play styles. But its hard for the melee crew. I am very familiar to betas melee play style by now. I know how to play it, ive beaten him in tournament hes beaten me. But when i go to a tournament out of my area i have trouble with other play styles. Im not sure how to go about accomplishing this task but in order for us to truly get better we have to learn from everyone in our area and out of our area. Maybe upstate needs to travel to at least 1 out of region tournament a month or every other month. To hone our skill and get better.

When tournament do happen here and you can make it GO. Also when you do go, don't sit your *** down and play the same kids you do every single day. This is the stupidest thing anyone could do. Why travel and then just play each other, its pointless. You'll never learn that way. Out of everyone in the region i think im ask to do friendlies less than most. I am the only real IC main left in this region, get practice with me, im not the best but i do know how to play the character enough for you to get a feel for it.

Summary on how to be good.
Go to tournaments when they are being thrown (inside and outside your area)
Go to fest when they are held. (inside and outside your area)
Play different people. (to learn different character and play styles)
If you play brawl try and wifi. ( play other people all over the world with different styles)

Get it together everyone, we can become good, all of us but we need to work together and everyone need to put in equivalent effort.

Expansion.

Lets face it we need more players. Our brawl is expanding widely while our melee might be improving a little. The fact of the matter is, it is the most important task we have to do in our region is expand. For multiple reason which i will list.

- Transportation.
The more players we have the more we can get around. Most of don't drive or have cars increase our players while increase the chances we have of getting to and from tournaments or smash events.

- Pot
Ill bring up Syracuse 3 for example. we had i think 14 people for melee. Do you know anyone who will travel out of start for a 80$ pot? Anyone? I didn't think so. We have to expand for more players in different regions to show up. If we can get around 20-30 melee players, im sure we could convince Canada and MA to show up like they did for SS2.

More players=Bigger pot=Out of staters= pro= practice=experience= :)

- Tournaments
With new players joining they may want to get into the TO scene. That could potentially lead to more tournaments being thrown in different regions close to us. Which could also attract more players and give us an opportunity to come together as a region and practice more.

- Match up/ Character diversity
The more players we have the more like the characters will be diverse. And also the more the play styles will differ.

summary-
More players= Better region

Anyways im tired of typing.

We have the potential to become a good region everyone needs to step it up including myself and even jesse. But lets do less talk. And more action please. Thank you

-Cura :D

-ps
The tournament i was planning on holding Oct 9th is being canceled. I will be in Canada. However i will plan something in November once Ive settled in my new apartment. And I would also like to state that if the melee attendance isn't good the next tournament I host. I will not be hosting any more melee tournaments at my events, and ill instead make room for brawl crew battles and side events.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
November sounds better than October for me. If I can manage to **** my grades and get an amazing report card, then I'll be able to make it in Syracuse.

Might join Melee but I'm in a bit of a pickle with two problems. I really don't want to participate in Melee by myself, and L-Don doesn't own a GCC. However, I own two, except one of them has a turbo button which may make it unaaceptable at the tourney. If it's not allowed niehter of us would probably join melee.

Other thing is that L-Don and I may just come for brawl to make it easier time-wise on my parents. It's kinda what happened with SS3 and SS2 as well, the time I spent there and the time they had to spend away from home wasn't exactly pleasent... but them (or one of them) driving me is the only way they'll allow us to go, as Parental Supervision is pretty important to them.

If I can't make SS4 (if that's even what it'll be called) then I guess better luck next time and maybe I'd be able to make the next one. P:

Also, I've realised some huge flaws in my playstyle that's preventing me from getting better, such as spending too much time behind sheild and how much I spotdodge. It's the next step to getting better, modifying my playstyle once again so I won't be able to get read as much as I do.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I was really hoping you would post on this topic.

Hes really right on the stale playstyle point, you guys play with each other so much. I feel like thats part of why I beat most of you in melee despite the fact that 90% of you are better than me at the game.

another thing that proves my point about getting more people in the scene is tommygreenshirt. me and san met him at mlg columbus, so we didnt know him before then, but when san came and told me that he had met a player that said he lived in NY outside the city, I bolted over to find/meet him. and we chilled for a long time, talked about smash stuff and long story short, because me and san were adamant about finding new people for the community, we now have a person in binghamton that has their own car. which means, most likely that dudutsai will be able to come to more tourneys. which is good for melee people because our region is in love with dudutsai.

some random brawl kid that you may or may not care about is the reason why dudutsai is coming to our next tourney. thats how things can happen and why expansion is so important. not to mention the fact that hes also cura ride for this tourney too. otherwise he wouldnt be able to go.

some of you might have been thinking, who is this loser that ive never seen before, but now you probably value him a lot more in our community.

this example also happened the other way around.

Spamus and nightro held a genesee tourney. they are both melee players, but all of the brawl people came out to support it, and because of that tourney, we found a couple pretty good brawl players, that actually live very close to syracuse.

if you help out everyone will win, you may not know how or in what way things will improve but they will.

concept applies to SS3 too like cura said, we were upset that canada decided not to come. but they would have been way more heated, especially sanuzi, had the 4-5 of them came up here just to play with 6-7 of us. if we tried harderto get more people we might have attendence levels at tourney that people would actually want to show up to.

Foy

Smash Champion
We could hold a tournament at some point at the apartment. Thing is we would probably charge venue fee of like $2 and you can crash here and what not.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Note what Bcb (piedisliker) just said. he has to have his parents supervise him when he goes to tourneys, personally in the room, with him, the entire time. thats not gonna fly at a tourney at some random dudes apartment where swearing, alcohol and drugs is blatent and rampant.

its not always going to be college/living-on-their-own aged kids that are going to want to play smash...

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
November sounds better than October for me. If I can manage to **** my grades and get an amazing report card, then I'll be able to make it in Syracuse.

Might join Melee but I'm in a bit of a pickle with two problems. I really don't want to participate in Melee by myself, and L-Don doesn't own a GCC. However, I own two, except one of them has a turbo button which may make it unaaceptable at the tourney. If it's not allowed niehter of us would probably join melee.

Other thing is that L-Don and I may just come for brawl to make it easier time-wise on my parents. It's kinda what happened with SS3 and SS2 as well, the time I spent there and the time they had to spend away from home wasn't exactly pleasent... but them (or one of them) driving me is the only way they'll allow us to go, as Parental Supervision is pretty important to them.

If I can't make SS4 (if that's even what it'll be called) then I guess better luck next time and maybe I'd be able to make the next one. P:

Also, I've realised some huge flaws in my playstyle that's preventing me from getting better, such as spending too much time behind sheild and how much I spotdodge. It's the next step to getting better, modifying my playstyle once again so I won't be able to get read as much as I do.
Next tournament I brawl will be played first. Since it will most likely take long to run and ive noticed that melee players are usually late to events. So maybe that will help convince your parent some!

some random brawl kid that you may or may not care about is the reason why dudutsai is coming to our next tourney. thats how things can happen and why expansion is so important. not to mention the fact that hes also cura ride for this tourney too. otherwise he wouldnt be able to go.

I would also like to note that me and tommy have been talking a little bit and he said that hes bringing Dudtisai + 2 of his friends +2 of tommys friends + (maybe) me sharky beta and erk if he has room.

Tommy greenshirt is a good addition to the community. Ive seen him play some and hes a pretty solid player with the desire to grow and hes will to contribute to the community any way he can. You really cant ask for much more than that in a smash player.

We could hold a tournament at some point at the apartment. Thing is we would probably charge venue fee of like $2 and you can crash here and what not.
I would be down with this, everyone enjoy the rochester apartment tournament last time. however its not really kid friendly with the drinking and smoking that goes down. So that knocks out 10-15 potential players, but i still think you guys should organize something like last time me and Syracuse crew will most likely make it out.

Note what Bcb (piedisliker) just said. he has to have his parents supervise him when he goes to tourneys, personally in the room, with him, the entire time. thats not gonna fly at a tourney at some random dudes apartment where swearing, alcohol and drugs is blatent and rampant.

its not always going to be college/living-on-their-own aged kids that are going to want to play smash...
This is true, However at the same time we shouldnt shut out idea like this. True some may not be able to attend and thats a shame but this is still contributing to the community progression in becoming a better community so i approve.

Foy

Smash Champion
I would be down with this, everyone enjoy the rochester apartment tournament last time. however its not really kid friendly with the drinking and smoking that goes down. So that knocks out 10-15 potential players, but i still think you guys should organize something like last time me and Syracuse crew will most likely make it out.
Have to corrupt the youth early!

Haha, yo is everyone pumped for this tournament?

Sharky

Smash Master
I'm super pumped for the tourney, can't wait XD

not sure who I'm teaming with though. =/

also I really really really like cura+goggles' last few posts

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
Smash Club was fun yesterday. Played a lot of Melee, play a lot of Brawl.

Disappointed at how poorly I do in front of people, though. Even in friendlies. I just suck when people are like... watching... and talking... and stuff...

Plusses:
Alexei was mad cool, funny melee stuff happened.
I got the Melee kids to play Brawl if only we'd all troll with Mk and spam the b button.

Minuses:
Didn't see a Ness.
Didn't play a Ness.
No Tomato. =(

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
where does smash happen at rit? Had no idea where to go yesterday
Oh, it doesn't really start til next week. I kinda run it, and I'm not at RIT yet. We run it wednesdays and fridays in the SAU at 8:00. Wednesdays we run it with EGS's weekly meetings while fridays we're by ourselves in the fireside lounge. on saturday at 6:00 look for us at EGS's zerofest.

a nub

Smash Ace
oh ite, I should be able to make it tomorrow. Yesterday I had heard about smash but didn't know where it was so I checked ritchie's and sau but didn't find anything

Snowmanthatknows

Smash Journeyman
This is maybe 1 of the stupidest posts Ive read recently and Upstate talks about some dumb ****. You keep practicing in the apartment with the same people every night and the only thing your going to learn is their play styles. In order to excel past the mental block that everyone hit eventually you need to learn a wide variety of match ups and play styles that you wont find in the small melee scene we currently have. Expansion is the only way to over come that roadblock.
Okay, you don't have to be an asshóle about it. You don't even know me, so shut up before you talk to me like that. How can we even hope to become a power region if we can't even respect each other?

I may be learning their play styles, but I'm also getting my tech skill much faster, I'm becoming more precises, and I'm getting more and more combos into my matches. If I want to expand the people I play in Smash, then I'll travel.

Finding more people isn't easy, I've been talking to a few of my friends and they're interested in playing. I bring them to the apartment and they suddenly don't feel like playing Smash because they're too intimidated.

And anyone who is just picking up Smash has years to catch up on.

More people will walk into the Smash scene. Don't try and make that our main focus, because a majority of the people we bring in will end up in the same situation Jesse or I experienced.

Foy

Smash Champion
tell alexei to get to a ****ing tournament

and then tell me to get to the same tournament
Get to the same tournament scrub.

I am no longer your apprentice, but the constructor of your end.

A.k.a. eye'll whoop ur scrawny whiteboy *** in melee *****

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
oh ite, I should be able to make it tomorrow. Yesterday I had heard about smash but didn't know where it was so I checked ritchie's and sau but didn't find anything
It'd just be random people this week, for the most part. That said, you can call me later tonight, since there'll be about 3 other people that might smash on campus later: Me, MOSS, CDW. We're over at global village, so it's a hike from the freshman dorms, but it'll be a good time if they're all around.

240-888-0296

I'll be busy for a while though; don't call til 5:30 at least.

Sharky

Smash Master
@snowman: I realize the intimidation factor is pretty big, so I can understand that somewhat. However, I think Cura was also trying to state that the apartment scene in general isn't the most inviting to new people, from my experience. This isn't the fault of any one person, but it's a combined rochester thing. IE, you guys go hard, lmao. It makes for a ****ing awesome *** tournament, but like I said it is also rather intimidating, this in particular is why I don't think rochester will get many devoted young smashers for a long time.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
@snowman: I realize the intimidation factor is pretty big, so I can understand that somewhat. However, I think Cura was also trying to state that the apartment scene in general isn't the most inviting to new people, from my experience. This isn't the fault of any one person, but it's a combined rochester thing. IE, you guys go hard, lmao. It makes for a ****ing awesome *** tournament, but like I said it is also rather intimidating, this in particular is why I don't think rochester will get many devoted young smashers for a long time.
I agree, while I haven't been to the rochester apartment, just from experience walking into a room full of people who I don't know and who are drinking and smoking (I think that was mentioned by someone in an earlier post) isn't the most welcoming of situations. Maybe for some, but I think if you're trying to get more smashers it's better to play on the safe side.

Sharky

Smash Master
tommy cura told me I could possibly get a ride from you to the tourney, you still have room for me right?

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Okay, you don't have to be an asshóle about it. You don't even know me, so shut up before you talk to me like that. How can we even hope to become a power region if we can't even respect each other?

I may be learning their play styles, but I'm also getting my tech skill much faster, I'm becoming more precises, and I'm getting more and more combos into my matches. If I want to expand the people I play in Smash, then I'll travel.

Finding more people isn't easy, I've been talking to a few of my friends and they're interested in playing. I bring them to the apartment and they suddenly don't feel like playing Smash because they're too intimidated.

And anyone who is just picking up Smash has years to catch up on.

More people will walk into the Smash scene. Don't try and make that our main focus, because a majority of the people we bring in will end up in the same situation Jesse or I experienced.
How can we even hope to become a power region if we can't even respect each other?

Bro, i just showed you the ultimate respect. We you prefer me talk **** behind your back of bring it to your attention? You made a dumb *** response and i just pointed it out. Im upfront about how i feel, think of it more as trash talking or criticism and just take it as it is. You'll understand more and more when you get used to tournaments around here we trash each other for doing stupid stuff all the time. We trash pikapika so hard for skull bashing every time when he means to thunders. Jesse and neil cuss each other out every teams match (while they are teaming) its just tough love , get used to it.

Foy

Smash Champion
I agree, while I haven't been to the rochester apartment, just from experience walking into a room full of people who I don't know and who are drinking and smoking (I think that was mentioned by someone in an earlier post) isn't the most welcoming of situations. Maybe for some, but I think if you're trying to get more smashers it's better to play on the safe side.
2 things

1) You are assuming the apartment is just full of alcoholics and druggies.

2) Whats to say that all smashers are straightedge kids/15 year olds/whoever else. At the apartment which is basically a family based off smash, we chill, we let whoever chill. You want to play videogames? cool. you want to party? cool. you want to just chill with us and play smash? Come on over.

The apartment is the haven for so many people, and its a smash blessing for upstate. etc.

Snowmanthatknows

Smash Journeyman
How can we even hope to become a power region if we can't even respect each other?

Bro, i just showed you the ultimate respect. We you prefer me talk **** behind your back of bring it to your attention? You made a dumb *** response and i just pointed it out. Im upfront about how i feel, think of it more as trash talking or criticism and just take it as it is. You'll understand more and more when you get used to tournaments around here we trash each other for doing stupid stuff all the time. We trash pikapika so hard for skull bashing every time when he means to thunders. Jesse and neil cuss each other out every teams match (while they are teaming) its just tough love , get used to it.

Alright, bud.

Sharky

Smash Master

you're just mad because you've done the same thing four times in the past two times I've been over to your place.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Foy the apartment is pretty much filled with druggies and alcoholics. I havent been to the apartment 1 time were you guys didn't drink or smoke. Last time i was there i think i had some liquor mixed with a sour patch guy spilled on me Lol.

Top Bottom