• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
Well, 45min to an hour, dependin' on how you drive and how fast you can get through the Native Res up here.

flaw

Smash Apprentice
It takes me like 55 minutes to get to malone going on 11b. I think it takes me 30 minutes to get to massena.

I just had a dentist appointment in malone 2 weeks ago =D

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I know it takes like, 20-30 to get to the native res up here takin' 37, then take some back roads here and there and that's like, 10-15 from the res. I dunno.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I'm beating Foy so bad in SSB64 he gave me his SWF account.

~Snowman <3
lol, i saw your ssb64 TAS. i lold

also, this region really seems to be getting pumped this coming year, I wanna see how good everyone has gotten since I've been gone. I haven't been playing since apex really, but I'm hoping to play a lot when I get back.

Snowmanthatknows

Smash Journeyman
also, this region really seems to be getting pumped this coming year, I wanna see how good everyone has gotten since I've been gone. I haven't been playing since apex really, but I'm hoping to play a lot when I get back.
I've been working my *** off to improve and I have been quite a bit.

:yoshi: All the alfredo is gone.
It tasted so amazing.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
He got two or three wins by DQ of the other player.

Including Nick Riddle and Will. Which is why everyone's calling him trash.
Lol it's not his fault his opponents did something to DQ themselves. He's just lucky.

They'll have to change sine rules it looks like.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
Hey hey hey, I didn't really get the whole story, but it's not Cheese's fault that some dudes got DQed. That seems pretty obvious. If I'm missing something here please let me know.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Apparently he was whining a bit too, but I mean if there was a rule that wasn't being enforced, I'd speak up too.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
That whole pause rule is just dumb, though. It's completely unjustified and that's the only thing that I'm upset about that was abused. Like, say you had to sneeze, or possibly had a reaction to something, it's not like you can say "Hold up a second" and they won't take the kill.

I agree with play to win, but he goes by gay to win, and that's not cool. It's actually like they've been robbed. I know, in this, there shouldn't be honor in how you win, but I believe that's as far as ACTUALLY BASING WINNING ON SKILL GOES. It wouldn't be worth it considering he didn't even place in the money.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
Oooh. I think I get it, did his opponent pause the game and he called him on the stock loss? Depending on the situation that could be either fair or completely stupid. It's hard to say not having seen exactly what happened but if his opponent paused for some stupid reason and it caused him to miss on opportunity it's understandable. If his opponent sneezed or had some legitimate reason to pause and it didn't really affect the game then it would be a d*ck move to call a stock.

I had thought that his opponent just didn't show up on time, cuz obviously that wouldn't be cheese's fault at all.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Nick Riddle paused by mashing, was up 3 stocks to 1, and Cheese made Nick get DQ'd from the whole game by a pause.

Stock loss pause makes sense. Game loss pause is too much.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
First of all. BCB has it right, nick was going to drop 2 stocks and just make it one v one, but cheese complained that in mlg rules that pause is an automatic loss of game. so they dqd nick for that game, and cheese won the set.

against will the ddd standing CG vs dk is banned but the walking cg is not, will thought cheese was doing the infinite so he paused the game and called a ref over. It was determined that cheese was not doing the banned infinite, so will was dqd from that game for pausing. Youre supposed to just stop moving and not do anything, you cant pause for anyreason unless a ref tells you to.

hey, its not cheeses fault people use terrible rulesets at the tourneys he goes to. as a matter of fact, cheese is helping people by showing them how gay of a rule that is.

Dont hate the player, hate the game.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I believe that pausing should be a stock-loss but in no way should be a game loss. While your chaingrabbing it is really hard to continue after someone has paused even if they let you regrabbed them. There is a rhythm to chaingrabbing and its hard to continue after set back like this. I strongly agree with most of mlg rules.

1. Im glad the players got dq'd there was no reason for them not to be on time. I understand there transportation issues but they should be more cautious and more prepared. Im glad that MLG strongly enforces this rule, Just because your a top player doesn't mean you get rule perks over anyone. Atom got adhd/ally getting dq'd was a huge debate all weekend and i think its funny cause if someone that wasnt as good or known got dq'd people wouldn't care. People need to get off of top players meat and treat them the same way as players of lesser skill.

2. While im rather disappointed cheese went about his wins this way, However the rules are simple, and AZ states the rules clearly before each tournament even begins. Rules are theyre for a reason. Cheese earned his placing legit or not, part of being a good players is knowing what you can and cant do. they should know by now, not to pause Will and Nick have been to all 3 MLGs if the rules arent burned into their heads yet, they will be now.

3. As far as my opinion on the MLG ruleset.

- Pause off
- If pause is left on Stock loss instead of game loss
- Less gay stages
- D3 Walking infinite should be banned

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
theres no such thing as a ddd walking infinite, if he walks forward, than hes eventually (after about 100+ damage) going to run out of stage.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
ATTENTION ALL WNY MELEE PLAYERS

I made a post in my blog talking about us as a region, what I'd like to see happen and some new ideas I have. It's a must read for the Melee players here, I know you'll enjoy it and I have to tell you that stuff anyways so just read it now so I don't have to explain it separately to every person lol.

There are 3 long back to back posts in my blog. The one I want you guys to read is the middle one, the community one. Here's the link.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11087854#post11087854

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You dont really play brawl, so ill just explain to you.

the two vids you linked were STANDING chaingrab infinites.

theres also RUNNING chain grabs

and WALKING chaingrabs.

neither the walking nor the running version are infinite since, eventually, youre going to run out of stage to walk/run on.

Cura knows this, I was basically doing what I always do and pointing out a flaw in his grammar.

Snowmanthatknows

Smash Journeyman
ATTENTION ALL WNY MELEE PLAYERS

I made a post in my blog talking about us as a region, what I'd like to see happen and some new ideas I have. It's a must read for the Melee players here, I know you'll enjoy it and I have to tell you that stuff anyways so just read it now so I don't have to explain it separately to every person lol.

There are 3 long back to back posts in my blog. The one I want you guys to read is the middle one, the community one. Here's the link.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=11087854#post11087854
Very good read, I'm going to be asking for a lot of help from you.

My first goal now, is to just make it onto the PR.

Top Bottom