• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
That melee stagelist looks fun.

If I was able to make it, I'd probably enter melee because I love playing on Pokefloats.

Edit: It's snowman's birthday?

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Right, I used an old list, anywho, I updated it to the one stickied, no johns.
-Plus, why you mad bluepeachy, you ain't gonna show anyway? Bluepeachy being AWOL MM? ANYONE?!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Random Thought:

Everyone is so focused on getting better and getting our region recognised as a good region.

I think everyone is focusing on the wrong things.

Instead of taking the people in our community and making them better, right now we should be trying to expand our community in general.

We only have about 20 people entering our melee tourneys at most and around 30 people entering for brawl. you just cant have a national level community with numbers like that. We need to focus on bringing more people into th community.

NYS smash has improved immensely in the last year and a half. And i believe that most of that can be attributed to cura. He is steady finding people to add to the smash community. and when you have more people to play with, you are exposed to more styles and you learn more things about smash faster. Thats why Syracuse is where about 50% of attendence for any tourney in the state is going to come from, and thats why if it werent for the fact that rochester has a group of really old school skilled players like myself, san, and neil, Syracuse would easily be the most skilled part of the region as well.

Thats why we need to instead of focusing on power leveling the low number of people that we have, we need to start an initiative to get more people playing all over the state. Because if we can get enough people playing all over, the levels will power themselves.

Snowmanthatknows

Smash Journeyman
I couldn't disagree any more.

Our focus is to improve not to expand. You can multi-task that **** anyway.

If people don't want to play Smash here, then they don't want to play. Bottom line.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Problem is Snowman, that people DO want to play. Its just that with the exception of Cura, were all doing a piss poor job of 1. finding those people. and 2. exposing those people to the competitive aspect of smash IN A WAY that will facilitate them coming to more events and increasing the scene.

More people means more opportunities.

Means more cars to bring people to the tourneys. Means more playstyles and characters to get familiar with so that we are prepared when we go out of state. Means more people to rep us when we go out of state. Can even mean more money to possibly spread around the group, and loan around to people so more of us can do stuff like travel and go to more tourneys.

Foy

Smash Champion
Get some more people into smash then. Its easier said then done.

+ Im selfish and only like people i know that play smash

Foy

Smash Champion
Cool. Now have every person in the smash community to get one person they know to get into smash competitively.

Sharky

Smash Master
completely agree with goggles. Syracuse has improved immensely in the past year mostly due to people like Bry and Cura. Now 13370 is stepping it up and bringing all of his friends to fests and tourneys, and while they are lacking in skill right now, I'm already seeing improvement in all of them. Along with that, TommyGreenShirt has recently stepped into the scene, and he seems really enthusiastic about the game and community in general, and I'm really excited to see how he fares in the near future. Overall, we've definitely stepped it up over here, and you guys in meleechester could probably benefit from reaching out to some new interests just as we have, and more power to anyone who actually does

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Kyle, we can train and practice and improve at home. Finding people that not only like Smash, but have time to play it, AND are dedicated enough to pick it up competitively...That's like 1/100 people. There's no real way to just go searching for them.

Amber brought over these two kids that she met to play Melee last night. Ok, she found two new people. Cool. Then when they started playing, they started complaining and were annoyed and wanted to go home. It's clear they will not be playing the game for very long.

Finding new Smashers is not easy. The best we can do is advertise at our schools and when people show up to tournies, hope that they actually like competitive play.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
first of all. I would assume that if that happened, you didnt really properly go about the process to introduce them into smash in a way that would be conducive to them wanting to continue to play.

2nd its not easy, I agree. But thats why it need to be our focus. and the new people that do show up to tourneys we dont really put forth the kind of image that would inspire people to keep coming back.

I know cura puts a lot of effort into finding new people and making sure that their first impression of serious smash is a good one and leads them to continue showing up.

Like your sig says, It cant always be about the competition and the money. think about the big regions like socal and tristate. they have 40-60+ people showing up to monthly tourneys. Theres absolutely no way that all of them, or even half of them show up believing that they are going to win/make money. but they consistently show up anyway. Why? because of the atmosphere and the people. If people that you like being around go to smash tourneys, your going to go to smash tourneys, regardless of whether you want to have national level skill or not, because you are with people you like being around.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
If you all remember eric from last year, the middle-grade ROB/Yoshi/Sheik player, he'll probably be at tournies less this year overall, I'd wager, but if it's convenient and he's got $, no problem.

Anywho, I'mma get real hard into recruiting at zerofest this weekend, so we'll probably have some new blood next weekend that'll try out the scene. I'm going to go look into spaces in a few, as well. Also, if people want, we could totally split costs and make some homemade burgers on the stove in the kitchen downstairs from where I'm at now after the tourney. Chill out there and do some more friendlies later. Though, I'd wager most people'll go to smashapartment. Just puttin' it out there.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
1. Sheth is the number 1 loud brawl kid.
2. You act like it would somehow be ok to be loud and ignorant if people played melee.

hubble

Smash Ace
my birthday thing at the appt last night was awesome

thanks to everybody for being cool as hell

we were all playing pretty **** good imo

and those new kids seemed chill

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
No, not really. Lol.

How am I even acting like that would be okay for Melee? Just because I like the game more?
I'm pretty sure it's just the use of double adjective
-Loud
-Brawl

Anywho, I'm the #1 loud brawl guy, most the rest that're in roch and tourney are pretty **** quiet.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
So bored. Hopefully the RPI kids that are going to be setting up smash stuff around here are good. I mean, I know I'll get wrecked in melee by them, if it's the same people I remember, but melee ain't my game. Lol.

Wifi has been *** lately.

Edit: @sharky: Gotta make sure it's not at anything with people out of state, that'll john about whistles and stuff.

hubble

Smash Ace
he should have come to rochester, its where all the sexy melee is.

dont worry about the cake snowman, it was so good anyways.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Kyle- Yeah, I guess...I mean, I was telling them they were doing good, and telling them they were really good for beginners. I said with a little practice you'll be right up there with everyone else. And they just kept saying things like this is gay, you wavedash so you cheat, etc.

I see what you're saying I just think those two kids in particular had really bad attitudes.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I wasnt there, so I cant judge but theres usually no salvaging a person when they have it in their minds that wavedashing is cheating.

also, since when are you allowed to agree with me?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Honeybadger came over to my suite and destroyed me for a few hours last weekend. I predict he will do well

Top Bottom