• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
yes cura has it, it looks like it did infact fall off your car lol

so yeah our team name is still legit XD
That's what I was worried about.

I read on wikipedia that if we wear our hats while we play our characters get a 50% power increase.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I'll work on it, it was my first tournament that I entered, so I was of course nervous.
Dude I still get very nervous in tournies, this is really my first time ever trying to work on my nerves during tournament.

-This is Jesiah
your mental state is extremely important when it comes to accurately judging your level of skill. Cura can tell you, for example, that I've been raging quite a lot lately about technical errors during my practice with him. I know this isn't good for my progress at all, and over the next couple months I'm going to work on that.

I had some issues during the tournament as well. For example, during my match with Moss in game 3. As the time was running down, the game quickly turned into hit and run, as anyone watching the match could tell you, and it started to provoke some interesting commentary behind us. I paid a bit too much attention to the talk (at one point I think I jabbed him to get the lead and ran to the opposite ledge ASAP, someone laughed at it behind me and I even cracked a smile lol) and I feel like I lost some mental focus in the process. Definitely not johning, because this is something completely under my control and I need to get rid of it.

My second issue is mental endurance I guess. After losing that super long set to Moss I was pretty drained mentally, and discouraged. At this point TommyGreenShirt would probably beat me regardless but I feel like I could have done a lot better than I did, and threw out a lot of desperation moves that got me punished hard. Now that I think of it internal frustration is another major issue of mine.

TL;DR your mental state is just as important as any other part of your game.

Hmmm, This is the 1 problem ive really never had. I hardly ever rage, or get mad at my self mid match. I think its actually been declared that i have almost no emotion while im playing. This is the mindset i think everyone needs to have to win. I dont get over happy when i do something good or cool, i dont get mad when something gay kills me i just play my match and that is all.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I always try to stay calm in matches, even if I trip into a snake forward smash.

My problem is being too calm/lax to the point where I don't care if I get punished here and there and sometimes don't even care if I drop a match or a set.

I should care and should try to stay focused in order to be ready for everything. I get inspired by people when I play them who look like they're focusing so much that I should, too.

Snowmanthatknows

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, This is the 1 problem ive really never had. I hardly ever rage, or get mad at my self mid match. I think its actually been declared that i have almost no emotion while im playing. This is the mindset i think everyone needs to have to win. I dont get over happy when i do something good or cool, i dont get mad when something gay kills me i just play my match and that is all.

That's a mindset I'm going to be working very hard on to achieve.

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuys, this was the ****! I had so much fun playin' all of ya'll in friendlies and in the tourney, just wish I could've got more matches in with everyone, that bein' my only regret. I learned a fair amount too about some match-ups I wasn't sure about and how to improve my game. I can't wait for the next tourney or chance to go down and hang with ya'll again.

And Mana, you gotta let me know when we can chill dude. I need to get wrecked by you in Melee so bad. XD

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I always try to stay calm in matches, even if I trip into a snake forward smash.

My problem is being too calm/lax to the point where I don't care if I get punished here and there and sometimes don't even care if I drop a match or a set.

I should care and should try to stay focused in order to be ready for everything. I get inspired by people when I play them who look like they're focusing so much that I should, too.
Great info to know...San, you should post as much as you can about your mindset. I would be extremely interested if you could possibly elaborate on it and tell us your tournament mentality, how you stay calm, etc.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I want to see! Who did what at melee at the tourny?? any upsets?
I lost to jesse first round in an admittedly close set, and then I beat what felt like every single person in the venue in losers. then barely lost to neil.

silver beat general 2-0 in what general told him was supposed to be a tourney match, but it turned out they weren't supposed to play yet lol. I think it should still count for rankings though because they both played it as a tourney match, thinking it was a tourney match.

Seeding in melee was pretty dumb. I got a bye lmao.
this all seems right. I agree
Lets just say that i made money off melee :]
and I didnt, despite the fact that i tied with him.
Me all day. I am willing to trade if I have the lead instead of do more conservative things that would put me further in the lead.

Unlike me, where I have to trade hits to get the lead, since im ganon lol.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
I haven't gotten the brackets back from pyro, but there are always 2 5th places in a double-elim.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
well im not gonna lie, i know minh is better than me but thats not the point. The point is the match wasnt play out thus the placing was not determined.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hey, I'm tryna find some st00pid phat tournies in da BRONX SONNNNNNN

Hook a ***** up!

BaKo

Smash Rookie
For those of you that are looking for people to play with and tourneys to go to in New York City, you have come to the wrong place.

I apologize for not realizing you meant LI when u mentioned NYC.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
For those of you that are looking for people to play with and tourneys to go to in New York City, you have come to the wrong place.

I apologize for not realizing you meant LI when u mentioned NYC.
For those of you that are looking for people to play with and tourneys to go to in New York City, you have come to the wrong place. this is the thread for everything happening in the state OUTSIDE of NYC. those of you looking for smash IN the city, you may start your search here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208594

Well, I guess thats my fault...

I apologise as well, firstly youre right, I should have included LI in that, and 2, I thought that whole first paragraph was one sentance. lol.

ill fix that now. the LI part i mean, Im not going to change that whole paragraph into one giant run-on sentance... lol

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
You know what would make a great side event...

A side event where anything goes. No lgl. No banned infinates. No scrooging rule. Almost all stages allowed. No banned inf dimension cape. Just 3 stock and an 8 min timer. Or 7 to speed things up a bit.

It just sounds so fun because planking looks really fun to do. I think I'll go do it against a cpu now.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
...Yeah it actually was fun.

I almost got spiked to death by a lvl 9 diddy for getting the timing just right on my down b to grab the ledge again. Surprising how fast the time goes by when nobody's complaining about how boring the match is. Boring to watch, fun to plank. :D

WillE

Smash Cadet
Because I choked, I know I can do better. Just because I lost then doesn't mean I'm not going to improve. Duh. :laugh:

I just want to be power ranking material within a few months or so. I know I wont be up on the first post since we hardly update it.
no johns lulz

T0MMY

Smash Master
Hey, I may be traveling through New York on my way to MLG DC.
I'm hoping to be there a week before MLG DC. Looking for housing for the week where I can play lots of friendlies.
Also very much hoping there's a carpool going down there I can get in on.

I also have plenty of people who can vouch for me on housing, since I've traveled across the country over the years to play Smash X^)

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
can anyone here help me get to upstate NY. im talking about where syracuse and geneva is. def need to get to geneva. can u pm me or visit msg me im prolly gonna loose track of the thread im on my phone xD i live in central jersey n i want train routes, bus or w.e

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: He's talking about getting up here, period, which means you should get on that.

I would help, but I've got all these donuts in front of me and, well...

Top Bottom