• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
Not really all too sure who Jesse is :p Regardless, if someone wants to chat about this weekend, it would prolly be easier over aim than over the boards :p So get at me on AIM if you think you might be able to house me if I come down, and I'll see what I feel like doing regarding the whole train situation x_x

AIM: Charlemagne1881

Foy

Smash Champion
Not really all too sure who Jesse is :p Regardless, if someone wants to chat about this weekend, it would prolly be easier over aim than over the boards :p So get at me on AIM if you think you might be able to house me if I come down, and I'll see what I feel like doing regarding the whole train situation x_x

AIM: Charlemagne1881
You yo still need housing. If so just send me a message on facebook or something

Search Foy Cody Michael on facebook and its a kid with a blue hat and black shirt on.

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'll agree with him on that. I haven't played with anyone down there, so teaming with someone you've never seen, yeah, not the greatest thing. x.x I'll just see what I can do.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Well im pretty sure foy and rob are takent. Burak might still be open but i heard he may not be coming. who knows.

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
Aright yeah, so from the looks of it the trains from Saratoga to Rochester suck ***. Long trip w/ massive lay overs, and then there's the $100 + expense...so unfortunately I'll have to wait another time to meet all you guys z_z Hopefully my friend'll be free and willing to drive on a weekend when you guys are hosting another event.

hubble

Smash Ace
burak is still free to team :laugh:

im most definetely going to be coming unless my family makes me do stuff with them for the last day of eid al-fitr.

whoknows?

i love how certain people arent refered to by tag, maybe its because we're pretty much fam in nys

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
or cus their names(neil) are shorter than their tags (pikapika). And some people still after like 2 years dont have a consistent tag (Burak).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
We were actually thinking about doing pools but none of us really have the kind of experience needed to run a tourney in an effective time frame with pools.

That seems to be our main issue from what I can tell, that we really dont know how.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
First of all, round robin is pools, with the exception that you have only 1 pool, and you don't follow it with a bracket. (I assume you knew that, but your post was a little ambiguous.) Thus, hosting doubles as a round robin, rather than a bracket, is exactly the same as running pools, only easier - because no seeding is required.

Since you mention it, though, pools are certainly something worth considering:

Even if we were to do pools for every event, lack of knowledge would be far from the biggest issue. Pools are not hard, especially given the relatively small size of the tournament, and the relative familiarity we all have with one another. Time considerations would be the only realistic concern, but even that could be alleviated by running pools -> slightly smaller bracket.

Personally, I think pools is a great idea (entirely separately from my feelings about having round robin doubles). Everyone gets more tournament sets, and bracket seeding is earned based on current, rather than past, performance. However, I do see the other side of the argument: that for an event like this, pools are overkill, will take too long, are boring, etc.

I think, though, that it's definitely worth trying. As long as people are good about playing their matches promptly and understand that turnout might necessitate that not everyone advances to bracket, there is no reason it can't work.

I'd be more than happy to manage pools, if you really feel that no one has the knowledge or experience. But, again, I believe that you're overestimating the difficulty involved.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Doubt there will be enough people to need pools.
It's not a matter of needing pools. Its more the fact that pools lead to 1) increased accuracy of results (assuming that "accurate results" can be taken to mean an accurate representation of who played best on the day in question) and 2) increased number of "meaningful" matches played, especially for lower level players.

In fact, no tournament needs pools, per say. Its simply that points 1) and 2) become more relevant and pronounced at larger tournaments with more diverse attendance.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Do you take exception to the fact that my statements don't agree in number? I can see why that might be upsetting, but at the same time, it feels a little nit-picky given that we are on the internet.

Furthermore, if we take "pools" to be a single entity - specifically "pools" is "that condition in which players are placed into pools before a bracket is generated" - then the discrepency appears to go away.

So, while I'm sure your :urg: was well-intentioned, I fear that it may nonetheless have been misplaced.

Zhenkai

Smash Journeyman
My brain, it's beginning to hurt. x.x That's it, time to work on my HRC some more. I need to break 80k.

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Do you take exception to the fact that my statements don't agree in number? I can see why that might be upsetting, but at the same time, it feels a little nit-picky given that we are on the internet.

Furthermore, if we take "pools" to be a single entity - specifically "pools" is "that condition in which players are placed into pools before a bracket is generated" - then the discrepency appears to go away.

So, while I'm sure your :urg: was well-intentioned, I fear that it may nonetheless have been misplaced.
round robin + multiple peachsamus = see you tomorrow :dizzy: lolwords!
Just saying.

EDIT:

triple elimination
Yes, IWR.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
llawl.

when are you guys leaving to come up here tommy?

also, who all are you bringing?

lastly, leaving to pick up azeal (bluepeachy in about 10 minutes, Im bringing him to jesses apt for the night.

Top Bottom