• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
I've like barely played at all lately, but my head is good, and my controller is fixed. Time to unleash that vicious fox again on you poor souls.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
wish i could make it. I told foy about my next arrival though. within the next month or so i'll chill at the apartment for a few days hopefully we can get somethin going.

or the next cuse tourny i'll see everyone if roch can make it.

or my place. pty all the time

Acton

Smash Journeyman
No goggles, I don't smash competitively anymore at the moment. When I get back into college that might change. Right now I have 2 jobs and whenever I'm off all I want to do is relax.

In other news I made a post a while back about megabus and the benefits it provides. . well I was checking out CNN and I just read an article that four people died in a Megabus bus crash in Syracuse NY TODAY. In another life I could have been on that very same bus traveling to rochester for the tourney today. . .

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/11/new.york.bus.crash/index.html?hpt=T2

I know where the crash was too. . . I drive on that highway a lot to go to the carousel mall. It's pretty ****ed up.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Oh my god.

Just goes to show traveling to tourneys can be freakin dangerous. We need more cars, if anything. Surprising it could've been something so simple as a bus ride from Syracuse to Rochester to destroy a life.

Man that sucks. I hope the best for those people's families and friends.

x13mako

Smash Ace
No goggles, I don't smash competitively anymore at the moment. When I get back into college that might change. Right now I have 2 jobs and whenever I'm off all I want to do is relax.

In other news I made a post a while back about megabus and the benefits it provides. . well I was checking out CNN and I just read an article that four people died in a Megabus bus crash in Syracuse NY TODAY. In another life I could have been on that very same bus traveling to rochester for the tourney today. . .
One of my teacher's teachers was the back-up choice to ride the challenger if the other person couldn't show.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
llawl.

when are you guys leaving to come up here tommy?

also, who all are you bringing?

lastly, leaving to pick up azeal (bluepeachy in about 10 minutes, Im bringing him to jesses apt for the night.
Oh. This is a little late, haha sorry.

I was going to try and think of something clever to say, but I just drove 4 hours and all I want to do is sleep. In fact, why am I on smashboards when I could be in my bed? Typing all these thoughts isn't helping either as it takes longer to type than to think. Maybe if I was some master typer, then it would be viable. Like a Mavis Beacon pro. 500 WPM for breakfast! Then I wash it down by helping some penguins cross the river by typing in the words that are on the floating ice blocks. Which is illogical in so many ways, aren't they penguins? Can't they just swim across? Also, who took the time to write letters on ice blocks? It sounds like a boring job. They should do an episode of "Dirty Jobs" staring Mike Rowe of the guy whose job it is to write letters for children to type on ice blocks. I feel like that would be interesting, but not as interesting as Mythbusters. Jamie Hyneman's mustache is fantastic!

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Hands off?
Hot... If you're thinking what i'm thinking, hah! Ask me about "Web" if you want to discuss some philosophy.

wish i could make it. I told foy about my next arrival though. within the next month or so i'll chill at the apartment for a few days hopefully we can get somethin going.

or the next cuse tourny i'll see everyone if roch can make it.

or my place. pty all the time
Would be great to chill, man. I wish it was easier to travel all over the place because I would love to visit cuse/manaland/etc all the time.

I like this song. Music for me has been a balance between simple and complex. This is definitely hitting the spot. Much <3. I'm not going to be playing much singles from here on out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ-krx5IF0A

Sharky

Smash Master

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/11/new.york.bus.crash/index.html?hpt=T2

I know where the crash was too. . . I drive on that highway a lot to go to the carousel mall. It's pretty ****ed up.
just to clear this up, the crash wasn't on the highway, the driver got off the highway into the wrong lane, even though it should say right on the steering wheel of the bus not go go into onondaga parkway, because of the bridge. There's signs and flashing lights and everything to stop them from going that way too. It had nothing to do with 690 or 81 acton. Still sucks though. Stupid driver.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I know where that is, its where the onondaga parkway is at with the low railroad bridge. If I go to the carousel I go through liverpool on that highway instead of 690 because of the traffic/no space on the side of the road.

I mean onondaga parkway is a highway of sorts anyway, not like 690 though.

Foy

Smash Champion
Ill MM anyone who is now above me on the PR that would be taking my spot.

For that spot.

Yesterday was awesome.

Sharky

Smash Master
silver beat general 2-0 in what general told him was supposed to be a tourney match, but it turned out they weren't supposed to play yet lol. I think it should still count for rankings though because they both played it as a tourney match, thinking it was a tourney match.

Seeding in melee was pretty dumb. I got a bye lmao.

Snowmanthatknows

Smash Journeyman
Why do you need it? How do you expect to make it losing to randoms from Binghamton?
Because I choked, I know I can do better. Just because I lost then doesn't mean I'm not going to improve. Duh. :laugh:

I just want to be power ranking material within a few months or so. I know I wont be up on the first post since we hardly update it.

Sharky

Smash Master
it actually gets updated fairly frequently compared to most regions, at least during the school year when we have more tourneys.

speaking of such I'm pretty excited for this season, after hearing Yannick talk about starting up a new tourney series. If I ever get paid back by my roommate I'll start looking around for a venue here, myself, because I know cura and frannie are busier than usual now, what with school related stuff and moving soon.

edit: my phone died and I left the charger cord either at cura's, the venue, or in tommy's car. Anyone find an LG phone charger?

RTF

Smash Lord
No Longer Bumping With Content, Smörgåsbords
Because I choked, I know I can do better. Just because I lost then doesn't mean I'm not going to improve. Duh. :laugh:

I just want to be power ranking material within a few months or so. I know I wont be up on the first post since we hardly update it.
Dude you gotta account for choking until it reaches 0%. For me it's a balance of not caring and wanting to win anyways.

Foy

Smash Champion
Dude I still get very nervous in tournies, this is really my first time ever trying to work on my nerves during tournament.

-This is Jesiah

Sharky

Smash Master
your mental state is extremely important when it comes to accurately judging your level of skill. Cura can tell you, for example, that I've been raging quite a lot lately about technical errors during my practice with him. I know this isn't good for my progress at all, and over the next couple months I'm going to work on that.

I had some issues during the tournament as well. For example, during my match with Moss in game 3. As the time was running down, the game quickly turned into hit and run, as anyone watching the match could tell you, and it started to provoke some interesting commentary behind us. I paid a bit too much attention to the talk (at one point I think I jabbed him to get the lead and ran to the opposite ledge ASAP, someone laughed at it behind me and I even cracked a smile lol) and I feel like I lost some mental focus in the process. Definitely not johning, because this is something completely under my control and I need to get rid of it.

My second issue is mental endurance I guess. After losing that super long set to Moss I was pretty drained mentally, and discouraged. At this point TommyGreenShirt would probably beat me regardless but I feel like I could have done a lot better than I did, and threw out a lot of desperation moves that got me punished hard. Now that I think of it internal frustration is another major issue of mine.

TL;DR your mental state is just as important as any other part of your game.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
edit: my phone died and I left the charger cord either at cura's, the venue, or in tommy's car. Anyone find an LG phone charger?
I looked through the van pretty thoroughly and didn't find anything.

By the way, did you find your hat?

Top Bottom