• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

x13mako

Smash Ace
Alright!

I'm TommyGreenShirt representing Binghamton.
Sonic is my main and my first tournament ever was MLG Columbus (where I had the pleasure of facing San first round.)

I'm just startin' to get into the Smash tourney scene but I love the competitive play. MLG was the most fun I'd had in a while. I'm sure I'll be seein' you guys here and there at tournaments throughout the year, starting for me with Syracuse.

Thanks a bunch, and thanks to KID Goggles for showin' me this page.

-TommyGreenShirt
Sounds good, and Binghamton is pretty close to where I'm at iirc.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Its earlier august orientations shouldnt be that early.

Edit: When you get there perhaps you can convince the buffalo kids to do another Taste of buffalo tournament. Last 1 was extremely fun and id love to go up there more. Only been there once.
That's what I thought too. Some of my friends going to other schools had them already. I'm pretty sure mine is right around the time of Apex though.

I would be down for that. UB has a Smash club, allegedly, so I'll probably get involved in that for sure. And once I get a license & a car up there I can travel wherever in the region.

Sharky

Smash Master
I understand why this is being said mainly cause you dont understand how fran work in terms of playing. theres a pretty obvious gap, its more noticeable for me cause ive played with both sharky and frannie a lot.
The amount frannie plays in about a month is about the same amount of time sharky plays in a week. Because of this she really doesnt understand how to get pass gay gimmick (Not referring to planking with mk or stupid sonic ****) im more refferring to egg tossing or lazers to illusion stuff like that. Sharky wins against frannie mostly by time outs. And i believe last tournament they played Sharky won game 1 due to timing her out. And game 2 frannie won (almost a time out again). And game 3 sharky won cause he cp'd to rc. A Stage frannie rarely plays on and even then it just result in sharky egg camping. Im not saying sharky isnt good cause i dont believe that. But his play style isnt very good. May work against people who dont know how to handle it (Ak, frannie, beta etc) But the people who have figured it out he'd probably never be able to surpass. Even actons figured out how to get passed sharkys gay, and now sharky has to go marth vs acton (He lost a money match yoshi vs falco a week ago).

Plain and simple. against top players. Frannie will do alot better than sharky. Cause top players can get around sharkys gay. And once you've gotten passed that theres really nothing left (being a yoshi that is)
Everyones adapted to his playstyle and frannie is coming around and learning to avoid the gay. She did beat actons lazer and illusion gay last tournament. Even though she almost got timed out with game 3 going down to the last 4 seconds. But shes learning. (Also note she beat acton wit Ics in which she picked up like a week ago).

I guess its hard to put in words. Shes probably 4th best in syracuse behind myself james and leet-0. She can probably go even with leet-0 and james when shes trying and playing well. And she can beat me on occasions as well.
That's the match-up in a nutshell. If I approach peach she destroys me in close range, end of story. Just because I play the match-up like I'm supposed to doesn't mean I'm playing a bad style. Hell, I played a few peaches at MLG and they all agreed with me on this point. She needs to learn to accept the match-up for what it is. I've got nothing but love for Frannie, but she needs to accept this mu for what it is.

edit: I just skimmed over this before and didn't notice the playtime comment. I believe I mentioned this at the fest, but I've been very busy these past few weeks and have gotten on brawl outside of the fests maybe 3 or so times. I've mostly been hanging out with other friends coming back from college/playing diablo ii lol. Hammerdins are so broken =P

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Lol the match up isnt hard or that your playing it wrong im just saying she doesnt know how to get pass the gay. I can beat you with my peach vs yoshi (frannies peach is alot better than mine) cause i know how to get pass the gay. All im saying is when she does figure out how she wont lose to it again.

Sharky

Smash Master
we shall see, we shall see. Also iirc even our peach v yoshi games are down to the wire, cura.

edit: well off to work then, more sunburn here I come =( Cura text me if you're still down to smash tonight, I get out around 9ish.

edit2: yay rain, no blistering heat =D

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Btw I feel like I should sit Indian-style more when I play brawl because that's the only way I play, except at smashfests/tourneys and I feel like I focus better.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that is the way I play too San when I'm at home. Like that I usually have the controller tilted forward so its like parallel to the floor, and it seems to help my tech skill a lot. When I'm at smashfest I sit in a chair usually and my controller is tilted up kind of like at a 45 degree angle. I think my tech skill somewhat suffers from it, like I can't spike as well for some reason.

hubble

Smash Ace
No dude, literally no one in buffalo has been to anything in what feels like a YEAR.

If we had buffalo attendance that would be dope as ****.

huMps

Smash Ace
droped bomb over *****- falling uair ***** into bomb - platform cancel - jump - dair *****! I flip **** and almost break my wii.
"THAT JUST HAPPENED"

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
Epiphany. **** I can't picture all of us getting old without laughing.
So true we need to have our kids play together :D

Alright!

I'm TommyGreenShirt representing Binghamton.

-TommyGreenShirt
So many new people I'm excited ^^

PS: The Game Underground Music and Video Game fest in Mass was amazing. I moshed so hard I'll be sore for days...Thanks to all the mass players for helping me out with housing and rides it was a great time.Brentalfloss and Jesus Candy were awesome I moshed with him. Power Glove is the ****. I got a free copy of dead rising from them. If you don't know about these guys check em out:

Brentalfloss: http://www.youtube.com/user/brentalfloss?feature=chclk
Power Glove: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzvsZwuCMP0&feature=related
Jesus Candy (mostly covers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVDPZ85TIC4

Power Glove Song List:

Tetris Theme
X-men Theme (I almost died at this point...so good)
Mario Theme
FF4 Theme
Power Rangers Theme
Legend of Zelda Songs

Shoutouts: Yedi, G-money, Dudutsai, DI, DJ Nintendo, J-man, Roman, Abby, and HaileyM
Good matches and good seeing you guys

Edit: Dudu I <3 you :D Thanks for the dumplings

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I sense sarcasm lol Don't hype me up too much, please, I don't want to disappoint you guys :colorful:

Im not hyping you for your skill (no offence) as much as Im hyping the fact that there will actually be someone in buffalo that has a car and the desire to go to tourneys. a lot of them would go to tourneys more often but they dont have rides and the ones that do are ***** and dont want to go to anything cus they know theyll get stomped out.

M@v

Subarashii!
Hey guys, dont forget about /HOPE. Its in 2 weeks in Pittsburgh, PA.

I know some of you guys expressed interest in it.

MCmaniacDBR

Smash Apprentice
Alright I give up, I've been lookin for hours and asked people on AiB but nobody helps. I want to get a infinite replay code with the name tags that will work on and offline. The one I have right now I got from SHETH and it won't work if I play people online in the ladder. Can someone please direct me to where I have to go?

I mean I'd also be interested in custom textures and start up settings but for right now the very basics is what I'm looking for.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i posted in here a while back, just lettin ya'll know i'ma be in buffalo this weekend. i won't have a car, but if its not too far,maybe i could borrow my grandparents and still get to someones place.

i think i'd be good ganon experience. and i'm also looking to see new styles.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
What's all this mid tier **** I'm hearing?

Loljk.

If it's that important, Cura, Just tell her how to get past the gay. Lol. u just mad cause' a shark be stylin' on ya'. brb making pic.

Kdone. too lazy to make it look real good.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
That picture is very poorly done Lol. Id tell her how to get passed it just we dont play. She works like 5 days a week and on weekend is the only time she plays which is fests. And she doesnt even have a gc controller so usually if we ever play im using wii remote lol

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
That picture is very poorly done Lol. Id tell her how to get passed it just we dont play. She works like 5 days a week and on weekend is the only time she plays which is fests. And she doesnt even have a gc controller so usually if we ever play im using wii remote lol
I have an extra controller I could let you borrow. If my current one breaks, I'll need it back, though.

And yeah, I didn't feel like spending more than 5 minutes on the picture.. Lawl.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman

Im not hyping you for your skill (no offence) as much as Im hyping the fact that there will actually be someone in buffalo that has a car and the desire to go to tourneys. a lot of them would go to tourneys more often but they dont have rides and the ones that do are ***** and dont want to go to anything cus they know theyll get stomped out.
Lol and you shouldn't be. I just like playing Smash, I've never played any of you guys, so I have no idea how good I am, I'm just assuming on the lower end of the spectrum. I can't blame them, traveling to go somewhere to play knowing you're probably going to do poorly could seem like a waste if you're not super dedicated.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
And she doesnt even have a gc controller so usually if we ever play im using wii remote lol
I'm gonna be going home on Friday to get something done on my car. I'm thinking about stopping by the fest Saturday, on my way back. If I do, I'll bring back the controller you lent Nightro.

PoofyHair

Smash Journeyman
99 short hop fairs
99 short hop nairs
99 needle cancel fairs
99 Shino stalls

0 giving up

Get at me.

Edit: Also playing JPEG and absorbing his knowledge

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Nice Amber. I can tell that took a while of practicing. Remember though that's just a small part in being able to fully control and master your character's movements. Keep it up :)

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Nice Amber. I can tell that took a while of practicing. Remember though that's just a small part in being able to fully control and master your character's movements. Keep it up :)
Went to go talk to you on AIM, but you were already gone :/ Maybe tomorrow. Lol.

Btw, if I ever get on the PR, i'd prolly pay someone to make a Disgaea theme'd PR. Just a note. If anyone is intersted :3.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Anyways yeah. Regarding the Disgaea PR. I like my idea :3.
I think imma practice Photoshop so I can make it eventually :D
I already can already imagine who'd be who on the PR.
Unfortunately. I think I'm the only one in Upstate who likes Disgaea :c

x13mako

Smash Ace
Anyways yeah. Regarding the Disgaea PR. I like my idea :3.
I think imma practice Photoshop so I can make it eventually :D
I already can already imagine who'd be who on the PR.
Unfortunately. I think I'm the only one in Upstate who likes Disgaea :c
I don't even know what that is.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Wtf is disgaea?

Alright I give up, I've been lookin for hours and asked people on AiB but nobody helps. I want to get a infinite replay code with the name tags that will work on and offline. The one I have right now I got from SHETH and it won't work if I play people online in the ladder. Can someone please direct me to where I have to go?

I mean I'd also be interested in custom textures and start up settings but for right now the very basics is what I'm looking for.
Didn't I pm you those codes when I showed you smashstack? Still have that pm?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Genericness and grindan to level 2000+. Disgaea is probably pretty alright though, lol.

Anyone get Sin & Punishment 2? It looks pretty awesome..

Top Bottom