• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
It sounds like you're just addicted to smash. There's nothing wrong with smash, but its usually not good to have one thing become your only concern. Try and find something else you enjoy. Also, you mentioned you were obese, if you can find time to work out, losing some weight might help you feel better about yourself. Also, since you said you're just getting your life back together, definitely don't drink.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
You're not exactly selling yourself very well, and you're too negative when right now you're in a pretty ok situation to what you were in.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Smash IS my life. I would be fine with this change in my life, but the curfew really ruins things for me.

I don't CARE for things people commonly accept as a life. Social life? Got one; Smash baby.

A significant other: Nobody would want to associate themselves with a pessimistic, shallow, untactful obese guy with no money who just wants to smash with his buddies.

Drinking/Sports/etc? Don't like 'em.

Name a social convention, and I probably don't like it. Not to be contrary or anything, I'm just different for whatever reason. Probably genetic. My whole family's like that.

The point is if I have to give up smash, give up my LIFE, why is it even worth it? Sure I get by life back on track, but I'll have lost a year of progress. The biggest reason why I'm so into smash is that it's the only thing in my life I have EVER been good at that I genuinely liked. I have talent in other fields, but I don't ENJOY other **** so I quit everything else. Losing a year of progress would be devastating. Everyone else in the world will continue to smash and get better while I focus on school, and only school due to my ridiculous schedule and curfew.
I refuse to believe that the only thing you're truly good at is smash and videogames in general.

You write intelligently, you've analysed yourself and your life. You've made a lot of posts here showing how much crap you've done to get your life in order. You've got determination. Personally you seem interesting to me.

If you'll forgive a little amateur analysis here, you've got low self esteem. You don't want to face failure and so you stick with what you know, what you know you'll succeed at. A lot of people are suggesting things you can fix things in your own life, but I think you really need to fix your views of yourself.

There's nothing wrong with loving smash, and it being your focus in life. If that's what keeps you happy and sane, that's great. But if you're considering suicide because of a lack of smash, then maybe you're missing something. Even with no smash in your life, you still have yourself. You need to learn to like yourself and who you are as a person. I'd suggest taking some time to seriously think about this, or even counselling.

That's how I see it anyway. Whatever way you try and deal with this issue, I hope it goes well for you.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Ruby you say Smash is your life, but the question is how long you'll be playing Smash for. Are you going to be playing it until you're 60?

The problem is interests and communities that you engross yourself in are temporary. Whether you had this job or not, there'll be a point where you'll have to part with Smash anyway.

I'm not saying don't play Smash, I just advise not to be so heavily invested in something temporary, especially when you've put all your eggs in one basket.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I think it's pretty sad that you would or might consider giving up an opportunity to get your life back on track for a video game. Aren't you homeless and jobless?

Smash is a hobby, not your life. I think you need to sort out your priorities.

Not trying to be mean, just saying.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I think it's technically against the law to swear in public in London.

**** that though.

Smash IS my life. I would be fine with this change in my life, but the curfew really ruins things for me.

I don't CARE for things people commonly accept as a life. Social life? Got one; Smash baby.

A significant other: Nobody would want to associate themselves with a pessimistic, shallow, untactful obese guy with no money who just wants to smash with his buddies.

Drinking/Sports/etc? Don't like 'em.

Name a social convention, and I probably don't like it. Not to be contrary or anything, I'm just different for whatever reason. Probably genetic. My whole family's like that.

The point is if I have to give up smash, give up my LIFE, why is it even worth it? Sure I get by life back on track, but I'll have lost a year of progress. The biggest reason why I'm so into smash is that it's the only thing in my life I have EVER been good at that I genuinely liked. I have talent in other fields, but I don't ENJOY other **** so I quit everything else. Losing a year of progress would be devastating. Everyone else in the world will continue to smash and get better while I focus on school, and only school due to my ridiculous schedule and curfew.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
You should go jogging with some music when you're not doing anything. Helps you lose weight and keeps your mind off things. You have too much spare time to think and feel sorry for yourself.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
You should go jogging with some music when you're not doing anything. Helps you lose weight and keeps your mind off things. You have too much spare time to think and feel sorry for yourself.
**** jogging. **** hurts.

I do aerobics and walk long distances (like 4+ miles) and listen to power metal.

Sometimes I do DDR/ITG and Wii Fit+.

Losing weight as a steady pace, like a pound a day. I feel like I could probably do more, though.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Well you have to much spare time to think. You need to be more productive otherwise you'll just constantly feel sorry for yourself.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
No I don't need to be more productive, I need to play smash more and enjoy the last month of free time available to me.

Why should I be productive when I'm about to spend the next year with an 8-4 7 day schedule?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
There's your problem. You have too much spare time and you're not doing anything to change it. You can sit around waiting and doing nothing or you can do productive things to take your mind off feeling sorry for yourself. It's not up to me or anyone else to get you to do this, it's up to you. You can argue against it all you want but you're not hurting anyone but yourself.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I have a little under a month before I'm going to be among the busiest mother****ers on the planet. Free time is justified.

also if i kept myself occupied, I'd just be depressed, AND not doing things i enjoy.

wheres your witty retort?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Stop being so defensive. Pluvia is being very friendly and trying to help.

Honestly, thinking things like "Smash isn't a hobby it's a lifestyle" is very unhealthy. It's a video game. It's okay to be passionate about something, but to be obsessive about this one thing and seemingly holding up your entire mental well-being on it is just going to make you more of a basket case. You have to be susceptible to change and moderation. Disregarding everything else in life because "I'll be depressed if I do that" just makes for a stagnant and dead spirit. I hope you can get help.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
does anyone else feel like no matter what they do it's psychologically unhealthy to some point

i really don't care what anyone else thinks anymore, i'm gonna do and think what makes me happy, by dammit

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I think you should consider seeing a doctor Ruby. Maybe you suffer an anxiety or depression problem or maybe not. Like others are saying, I don't think it's good if you only find joy in one thing in life. That's not enough for most people.

----

Kids (teenagers) keep throwing stuff at my house. At first we didn't care. Back in November it was just vegetables, snowballs and random objects. But lately they've progressed to eggs, wet toilet paper and heavier objects. We are the only student house in the area so I guess they target us because of that. Our windows look terrible now and I'm going to freeze if they break a window :laugh:

I know which group of kids it is, I just need to catch them in the act. If I ever spot them I think I'm going to follow them home and show the parents what these children are doing in their spare time. That might be a wake up call for them. Otherwise I don't know what to do.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
does anyone else feel like no matter what they do it's psychologically unhealthy to some point

i really don't care what anyone else thinks anymore, i'm gonna do and think what makes me happy, by dammit
Sort of.

I've developed a bad habit in that when I think of doing something, I always think of all the consequences and all the precedents I set myself by doing that action. So I overthink everything.'

Problem is, I can't just tell myself to be a hedonist like you just have, because then I think of all the consequences of that. I feel bad because I've now ingrained this type of thinking into my ex girlfriend.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I have been diagnosed in the past with panic disorder, ocd, and depression.

I thought I had beaten them 5 years ago, but I guess recent changes in my life brought the panic and depression back. I've been having frequent panic attacks over the last two months, but I've been procrastinating in trying to get help.

Hope that clears things up.

@Luigitoilet:

people have said its unhealthy, but do not elaborate. Smash has, until recently, done nothing but improve my life, and now the aspect of losing it is driving me insane.

Humor me: How is my views of smash unhealthy, and why should I change them?

I think the "it's just a game" argument is flawed.
You yourself said you're an obese suicidal person and that not being able to play a game is literally "driving you insane". That doesn't sound like a mentally or physically healthy person to me. It's not specifically the game itself that is unhealthy, it's your incredible infatuation with it that seems to control your life that is.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
You yourself said you're an obese suicidal person and that not being able to play a game is literally "driving you insane". That doesn't sound like a mentally or physically healthy person to me. It's not specifically the game itself that is unhealthy, it's your incredible infatuation with it that seems to control your life that is.
If you only had one thing in the world you genuinely enjoyed you'd understand my infaturation.

That aside, you do have a point.

As for the weight issue, I am working on it, but its a long process. I'm over 100 pounds overweight.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well the point LT is trying to make is that your problem is that you only value one thing so highly.

Playing video games is essentially escapism. So if the only thing you value in life is actually escaping life, then things need to change.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Smash isn't just a video game though, so I'm not sure how much water your escapism argument holds.
What else is it? It's a video game that has a little bit of compettitive value. This isn't comparable to actual sports you could make something a comfortable living with (if you happened to be good enough). I'm sure being a great Smash player might have some monetary benefit (I seriously doubt it compares to even lower sports like pool competitions) but it's never going to be something that is particularly beneficial to obsess over like you do.

Imagine a heroin junkie telling you "yeah, but heroin isn't just a drug though"

Okay seriously Rubyiris whatever you do, don't commit suicide.
I've heard that you contemplated that, but it's sooooooooooo stupid. There's so many more cons to suicide than pros, honestly.

What are your grades like and stuff? You should worry about those more than Smash.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
So in my eternal nerdiness I've come to just saying "Unhappy Thread" whenever experiencing small inconveniences.

Ha.

L__

Smash Master
when I read the thread title I think of a small section of yarn with a glued on unhappy face

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Okay seriously Rubyiris whatever you do, don't commit suicide.
I've heard that you contemplated that, but it's sooooooooooo stupid. There's so many more cons to suicide than pros, honestly.

What are your grades like and stuff? You should worry about those more than Smash.
im not in school yet, that's next month.

i assume ill have good grades because its not like ill have anything else to do.

What else is it? It's a video game that has a little bit of compettitive value. This isn't comparable to actual sports you could make something a comfortable living with (if you happened to be good enough). I'm sure being a great Smash player might have some monetary benefit (I seriously doubt it compares to even lower sports like pool competitions) but it's never going to be something that is particularly beneficial to obsess over like you do.

Imagine a heroin junkie telling you "yeah, but heroin isn't just a drug though"
money means nothing to me. in the 5 years of competitive play i made my entry fee back once in doubles.

just being decently good at something i like, continuing to improve at something i like, receiving a fair share of recognition, and of course the most important aspect, playing smash with people i like.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
>_> Few things:

Working 8~4 7 days a week sounds wrong, shouldn't you have one day off? Most basic jobs don't work over 40 hours due to overtime but eh...

You say you're about to be really busy in a month a few pages ago, but now you say next month you'll have time for grades...I may be missing something there, just skimming like an idiot.

Off of Ruby, I feel the need to explain Birth Control as I had to do a lot of research into it myself.

The Condom - Safest for giving/getting STDs out of them all, but kinda the least safest BC out of them all
The Patch - Terrible. >.> Blood Clots ftw?
The Shot - It can just not work. Many people I know have experienced this, lol.
The Pill - Actually what we went with :D. The pros are the fact it's super safe, and if the girl is responsible there is no worries. It also helps prevent certain cancers and such too, and can make periods smoother. It's all around the best. One thing that Dre. and others noted was the cancer thing though. It can cause a spike in Breast Cancer, but it's only a big spike in % if it runs in your family or something. The docter we went too actually made her fill info out on it before getting the pill. I think it's actually come to the point where if you have a good chance at getting that, no pill for you.

Anyways, just figured I'd add this :D

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I have been diagnosed in the past with panic disorder, ocd, and depression.

I thought I had beaten them 5 years ago, but I guess recent changes in my life brought the panic and depression back. I've been having frequent panic attacks over the last two months, but I've been procrastinating in trying to get help.

Hope that clears things up.
As I read your posts I kind of assumed you had anxiety/depression issues. You have a few classic signs. Perhaps you aren't interested in other activities because of these problems. I know you enjoy smash and nothing else, but there's probably more to it than you let on. I think seeing somebody about your recent panic attacks is the most useful thing you can do for yourself.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I've started breaking out in multiple little cuts on my hands. I'm going to have to buy some lotion tomorrow.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I swear from now I'm packing everything I'll need in the morning from the night before. Every little thing, even putting my ear phones in my jacket

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I know the feeling. I always forget one thing going out the house, even though I try to make sure I have everything.

Very much rage inducing.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Yeah it's pissing me off. I've crammed with assignments and I don't have time to be going back and fourth to my dorm pick things up :mad:

I'm convinced that there are multiple errors in my math text book(an online source even said that the book is filled with mistakes) therefore reproducing the answers for some of the examples may be impossible, but I'm never sure if I don't understand the problem or if the fault is with the book. Also some of the homework questions in the book don't even make sense. I hate my life sometimes.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I'm worried if I drop acid one more time I might have another existential, reality changing revelation, the likes of which will prevent me from even pretending that I care about the day-to-day going-ons of myself or anyone else's lives

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'm worried if I drop acid one more time I might have another existential, reality changing revelation, the likes of which will prevent me from even pretending that I care about the day-to-day going-ons of myself or anyone else's lives
And? Nothing matters in life so why should you worry about worrying about it? This comes across as you just bragging about taking acid.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Drugs have an air of pointlessness about them. Just get drunk.

So anyway now I'm done my holiday, I'm off back home in a few hours. Staying with my mates in uni weirdly showed me that I'm glad I never went down at this age. I guess I'll miss all the students around here, and the fact that all the clubs are half as expensive, but right now I'm more unhappy about the fact that I've got to get up early tomorrow for my driving theory yet I'm going to be exhausted after my week here.

Top Bottom