• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Smash Master
I have been rejected after an interview 5 times now, and every time they said my background was impressive. Le sigh. I can't tell whether I'm being too phony or not phony enough. Next time I'm just going to tell outrageous lies. Whenever next time arises :(

The problem is that I don't know any employers. Like, even fast food places I have no way of knowing who's hiring. I don't have money, so I don't network. I just go to my local classifieds and monster.com and send random resumes + custom cover letter. It's just never gonna happen.

Edit: before anyone with good intentions makes my blood pressure shoot up a little bit, the reason I act like I do in here is so that I don't feel compelled to act that way out there.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I think that something I've realized, even in finding a job as a teenager in college, is that "networking," or knowing people makes it a lot easier to find out who's hiring, and what people are looking for. Talk to family, friends, acquaintances, and the like, to see what's going on. It is possible to do it solo, don't let anyone tell you that it isn't, but having "connections" can make it a lot easier.

Smash Master
Thanks. I had no idea. The 5 people I knew from college that graduated at the same time as me all got jobs right away. One of 'em even works at Google. It's comforting to know I'm not in a boat all by myself.

I don't have local friends. I went back to the card shop I played at before college (very nostalgic seeing how much changed in 4 years :)), but I can't start that up again until I have money. The basketball park is far away. I went to a smashfest once since graduating but it's not worth paying the door fee.

I guess one upside to this is since the food I buy is entirely a function of health + money, I'm learning to cook pretty well.

Jasou

Smash Ace
As in what once were two quite children who played well on their own now somehow acquired new found energy to run around in a small two bedroom apartment, not eating and not listening. Toys and food everywhere :glare:

What's worse is that we live right next to the apartment pool but it's been thunderstorming constantly for the past 3 weeks (which is, unfortunately, not an over exaggeration). Since they can't burn energy by swimming, the apartment has somewhat a racing track for them now.

/sympathy please
indoor pool anywhere?

and @#'s hope that job issue clears up soon

Ghosts

Smash Rookie
indoor pool anywhere?
Unfortunately not, even through this city is pretty big. However, I have somewhat of a solution: Acquired Just Dance 2 and Just Dance Kids for the Wii, and whenever they get bored with that, I'll chain them to the TV and make them play SSBM/B until they get unbelievably good at it. They'll be winning me money with the tournaments ;)

Problem into profit :denzel:

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I hate to keep *****ing about the same thing. But I feel like I'm losing most of my friends.

I swear I wish I didn't connect with females so much better than with men. The relationship just gets complicated once they catch feelings for you, and then they act soooooooooooo sensitive and emotional it's just ridiculous.

Ghosts

Smash Rookie
I swear I wish I didn't connect with females so much better than with men. The relationship just gets complicated once they catch feelings for you, and then they act soooooooooooo sensitive and emotional it's just ridiculous.
You're just that sexy my friend ;)

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I'm just reading the last few posts, so I don't know all of the details, but perhaps when they begin to get "emotional," you should remind them that you two are just friends, and nothing more. Also, let her know the awkward/uncomfortable position that she puts you in, and that it's not cool for her to, as a friend, place you in that situation.

@Ghosts: I approve. This is how children should be raised. On Smash.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i get along with everyone mostly, but i have a lot of trouble (i think communication anxiety) with adults or people older than me in general. especially authorities

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I generally prefer the (nonsexual) company of females to males but other times not so much. I feel like I can have more stimulating conversations and actually relate to girls a lot more. I like hanging out with guys too, because it's so easy and laid back and you can go for an hour without talking and they won't think you are mad at them or some other dramatic crap girls always feel. That's the only problem.

I didn't have a dad and grew up surrounded by girls and women. My best friends as a child were two sisters.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I generally prefer the (nonsexual) company of females to males but other times not so much. I feel like I can have more stimulating conversations and actually relate to girls a lot more. I like hanging out with guys too, because it's so easy and laid back and you can go for an hour without talking and they won't think you are mad at them or some other dramatic crap girls always feel. That's the only problem.

I didn't have a dad and grew up surrounded by girls and women. My best friends as a child were two sisters.
I'm pretty much the same way. My girl friends tend to be capable of actual conversations and I find said conversations more interesting. When I'm hanging out with my guy friends, it is nice that it's laid back and I can say pretty much whatever I want without worry, but it also pisses me off that if it's more than just me and one other guy, intelligent conversation is generally completely absent, and it's just playing video games for five hours straight, or going around town acting like tools, or "Hey I have the best idea ever, I'm going to burn my backpack!"

Maybe I just need better guy friends (well, no, I definitely need better guy friends), but I find the stuff that guys tend to prefer doing to either be stupid or get boring after doing it for hours on end.

I have a dad, but since he was at work for the better part of the day when I was younger, I grew up mostly around my two sisters and my mom, too.

I'm also the only male (aside from my boss) who works at the store that I've worked at for the past two years, so I've gotten pretty used to being around women. Unfortunately, this also means becoming acquainted with all sorts of bull**** drama.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Maybe I just need better guy friends (well, no, I definitely need better guy friends)
I wholeheartedly agree.

Just today I spent like 6 hours with my friend and we were talking the whole time, and he isn't even my closest friend so....

Yeah, get better friends!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Guys are way more easier to be around with, I always seem to be caught in some kind of soap opera when it comes to females, I really don't know why, but it always seems to happen.

Guys in general are laid back and I feel like I can easily relate more to them, which is what I really like having a bunch of male friends over for parties and such.

:phone:

Ghosts

Smash Rookie
As much as every guy hates to admit it, us guys have 'feelings' and we're too 'scared' to admit it to other guys for the sake of our manliness.
So we seek out women to talk about these feelings, play with their, paint their nails and understand the wonderful world of bras and menstrual cycles.
Go on, I dare you to question my sexuality!

Edit: and as for girls, they like hanging out with guys because they're too polite to fart and burp in front of their female counterparts. Just like everyone, they like to poop with the door open when nobody's home.

Yeah, I know, I'm making a ton of assumptions :awesome:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I went to my ex gf's house and she painted my nails gold.

Then we sat down and drank a lot and we were talking about how I cheated on her with a boy then dumped her and that was really cold and brutal but hey I was 16 who cares amirite?

This was a while ago but still pretty funny. Also she's probably the only girl I consider a close friend because she's actually not a bull****ter and is fully comfortable with the fact that she likes to get laid and isn't as shy talking to even straight guys about stuff.

But I mean tbh, I just don't like the whole kind of masquerade that girls have that somehow they're not really that sexual and that GUYS ARE STUPID PIGS even though before they sprout pubic hairs they're obsessed with getting a prince charming. Like seriously, women are the ones OBSESSED with getting a boy like from the moment they can string a couple sentences together, which is pretty much shown by the massive saturation of the romance genre in absolutely everything, yet somehow they "aren't really bothered" and "aren't looking for a guy".

Oh and apparently they never have orgasms, I mean, that's what one girl said as she was pulsating and gushing all over me.

Mhm.

Ghosts

Smash Rookie
Lol, I can't imagine a girl gushing like a Fruit Gusher and casually saying, "Oh this isn't an orgasm", as if we're suppose to ignore the ocean that is waterfalling out of her.

Pfft, women.

Ghosts

Smash Rookie
Well, for guys ******* and orgasm is the same, but for girls it can differ. But it often goes paired.
So, relatively speaking, one is genital leakage, and the other is an intense feeling of pleasure?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I wholeheartedly agree.

Just today I spent like 6 hours with my friend and we were talking the whole time, and he isn't even my closest friend so....

Yeah, get better friends!
...Yeah, I just have ****ty friends. Even when my friends do talk, it's generally not anything of any consequence, and usually when I try to express even slight anger or disappointment in anything, one of my friends makes a joke out of it and basically acts like it's completely silly for me to ever be angry. Either that, or it's them dumping out their stupid-*** relationship crap on me. I swear to god, one of my friends just turned 18 yesterday but it's like he's a twelve-year-old girl, except chasing after girls instead of guys. And I don't mean he wants to get laid, I mean he's decided after meeting a girl for five seconds that he "likes" her and is going through a bunch of roundabout crap to hang out with her instead of manning up and just asking her out.

...But I digress. With any luck, I'll meet people at college that suck less.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Some will suck less, others will suck more, and others will suck just as much as your current friends. The up side to college is people come from different places and there's a bit more diversity than high school (depends on what college you end up at).

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I'm just reading the last few posts, so I don't know all of the details, but perhaps when they begin to get "emotional," you should remind them that you two are just friends, and nothing more. Also, let her know the awkward/uncomfortable position that she puts you in, and that it's not cool for her to, as a friend, place you in that situation.

@Ghosts: I approve. This is how children should be raised. On Smash.
I tried this yesterday with one of my friends and it seemed to work perfectly. She however admit her feelings for me, while the other don't. So I guess I'm going to have to confront the rest of them about there feelings for me, which is going to be awkward since they're going to get defensive, offended, then act like they're a lot stronger than they really are and I'm not that important.

Thanks for the advice.

Yeah this sums up how I feel too. Girls are just better to talk to while I guys are better to hang out with. Honestly I'd never want to go to dinner or even the mall with a group of girls. It's only that is one on one experience(non-sexually) that I find more stimulating with them.

Unlike you and Firus however my Dad was always there and I grew up with two brothers, so.....idk.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
People in America go to college to become English 14 year olds so I'd hazard a guess to say not much will change except more alcohol, drugs, and promiscuity.

Oh and all the fallout from that.

Smash Master
College is a prerequisite here to not wait tables your whole life. I'm pretty sure folks from all walks of life want to do that.

Ghosts

Smash Rookie
I've been in college for 2 years now, and the majority of people will probably stay for an extra few years, because all they take are bull**** classes like bowling, and all they care about is partying, and most are majoring in 'General Studies'.

I find the best people to make friends with in college with a decent amount of maturity are the ones that are 25+.

College is just like high school. You always had the 'jocks and cheerleaders', now it's the 'fraternities and sororities'. After college, sociologically speaking, they won't have any power or attention anymore. The guys will become pizza delivery guys, and the girls will be housewives; so they try to stay in high school/college as long as they can. It's pretty terrible.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I think people are being too negative about college. It can be difficult to make good friends in college(maybe I'm not the best person since I'm not the most sociable person) but it's totally doable. I generally found that there are three go way to make some good friends in college.

1) Join a club whose theme you are really interested in(for example a game or activist club), there you are bound to meet some like minded people who are also interested in connected. Like half of my friends in college came from my gamers club.

2) If you have a more obscure major(geography, art history, etc) where it's likely that be having classes with the same people over and over again then talk to your class mates. It's really cool being friends with a lot of people in your major(not so much if you're majoring in something popular like Business), there a sense of kinship there.

3) If you live on campus then get to know of your neighbors. Two of my best friends in college lived literally next door to me. In my experience it helps a lot if you two have a reason to talk to each other, for example borrowing a printer, or microwave or something. That's just needed to get the relationship started though.

I just felt like giving some advice.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Your major is general studies? Is it possible to get a job with that?

Palpi

Smash Hero
Lol, people need to stop taking themselves so seriously, I am general studies cause I don't know what I want to do..and as a returning sophomore, that's okay. Plus I would say over 65% of people don't get jobs in their major :/ so whatever...

:phone:

Top Bottom