• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Is this "best friend since high school" another term for your girlfriend? I am kind of confused, seeing as I have never seen a need to "break up" with a friend before. If she's like, clinging onto you as a friend because she has no one else, I would kind of find it selfish to end your friendship for that reason. That's just me, though. If you are annoyed with her or something, just make up "plans" or whatever, it's not uncommon for someone to do that if they want to be left alone.
No, we have never dated. However we do and always have fought like we're in a relationship and she(admittedly) has had a feelings for me for a long time now. She's not clinging to me, in fact she shares my feelings that the relationship isn't working the way it is, and she is done trying to fix it(as am I)

I use the term ''break up'' because that's what it is, we loved each other for a long time but now it's time for us to go our seperate ways.

I agree with Gatlin; if she's a friend, I don't understand why you're breaking up with her.

But if I'm gathering correctly and this is someone who was your best friend since high school, and then you two started dating and now you're about to break up with her, I'd say that breaking up with her online is...well, it's better than phasing her out like you mentioned, but it's still pretty weak. No matter how much it sucks, the most honorable way to break up with someone is in person. If you're in a long-distance relationship, the next best thing is to break up with her through the phone, and I mean through calling and talking to her, not texting or leaving a voicemail.

I mean, that's up to you, I'm just giving my input there. Especially if this is someone who's been your best friend since high school, I'd try to break up with her in the best way possible.
I think breaking up with her online is appropriate. This relationship has been on and off a lot for the past few years, and many of the times we broke up was done online. I do intend in breaking up with her the best way possible(calling her isn't necessary at this point), which is why I want to speak to her in real time online, instead of just sending her a message on facebook.

We'll probably get this over with when I'm at my school's computer tomorrow.

Smash Master
There's no documentation for eclipse cdt. Nobody on the google has encountered my problem apparently. I can't go through every 1 and 0 for three days just trying to get hello world to compile and run on this stupid, bloated pile of crap. It's really unbelievable. I've encountered missing binaries, unrecognized functions (seriously this thing doesn't know what main does), file not found BS, an unresponsive console. If they're going to do that to you, the least they could do is give you clear error messages or a real FAQ/troubleshooting guide. I mean all this hassle for a 7 line program. It's stupefying.

Right now it's missing the executable, even though I can open it, click on it, etc... right in the path it's instructed to look in.

How do I cure frustration? And I don't mean "think happy thoughts" circular BS. Is there any way to chemically prevent or eliminate bad feelings?

Takumaru

Smash Lord
How do I cure frustration? And I don't mean "think happy thoughts" circular BS. Is there any way to chemically prevent or eliminate bad feelings?
Yes. But they're illegal and you feel worse when they wear off. And they tend to make you die faster and inhibit your ability to do anything at all.

Smash Master
Alright, **** this. Time for bed. Impossible challenges will be here when I wake up.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I am upset!

So I tell my best friend who I mentioned before that I am breaking up with her. And she has to go and be nice again, instead of the detached ***** she has been lately. She ACTUALLY ASKED ME TO STAY WITH HER! I spoke with her on Friday and it seemed like she expected me, and even wanted me to break up with her. She told me that she was done trying to please me and then she goes and posts this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXA0pMsXllY&feature=share song on her wall. What the **** am I supposed to think?

****! Couldn't she have just been mean? and detached as usual and give me some peace of mind in what I am doing instead of making me second guess myself and the ending of our relationship. I wanted to just be done with her after today, but I agreed that we would say our goodbyes another time and that I wouldn't delete her from my friend's list.

Women need to stop acting so strong. If they want you in their life then they should always act like it, instead of acting like they know they'll be fine without you.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
instead of wanting the relationship to end and wanting her anger to be used as a reason maybe you should sit down and talk with her about how you FEEL about how shes treating you and how she FEELS about how you are treating her. just wanting to break up without talking with her is very immatue and isnt going to help either of you in the long run, sometimes swallowing your pride and talking about issues is the best way to come to a conclusion, otherwise you will never truly know why shes been behaving the way she is

remember, you can win a fight, but what does it mean to truly win? its a self constructed defenition so be sure to weigh the outcomes of your decesions

Strife

Banned via Warnings
instead of wanting the relationship to end and wanting her anger to be used as a reason maybe you should sit down and talk with her about how you FEEL about how shes treating you and how she FEELS about how you are treating her. just wanting to break up without talking with her is very immatue and isnt going to help either of you in the long run, sometimes swallowing your pride and talking about issues is the best way to come to a conclusion, otherwise you will never truly know why shes been behaving the way she is

remember, you can win a fight, but what does it mean to truly win? its a self constructed defenition so be sure to weigh the outcomes of your decesions
We've tried talking about our issues before and it doesn't get anywhere. She refuses to acknowledge how she has been a bad friend, in fact she refuses to take the blame for anything. You don't know the history here, we've tried a great deal to make this relationship work, but I think it's time for us to let go of each other.

What really annoys me though is that she asks me to stay with her, right after she says she is done trying to make me happy in this relationship. It's insulting.

Anyways I realize now that the fact that she still cares about the relationship doesn't change anything. It can't be fixed unless she's swallows her pride and takes blame for how she has been so awful to me, or at the very least(another thing she refuses to do) communicate with me how she has been a decent friend.

That sounds horrible. It's like you guys have all the horrible depressing aspects of being in a serious relationship, and you don't even get laid.
Lol, I guess. But she isn't always calling my phone every night night just to hear my voice, like my other girlfriends did so I'm ok with it.

In the end I maintain that the reason our relationship needs to end is because of her lack of effort, but also it's that we are simply too different to be as close as we are.

Smash Master
I've been doing nothing today but try to get this stupid software to work, and it still won't work. I wonder if anyone's ever killed themselves because their program wouldn't compile. I've been feeling the "five-minutes-to-hand-in-your-test" stress coupled with existential futility and hopelessness for every waking moment of the last two days. I don't know what to do.

Don't know anything about relationships. Never cared to try to start a serious one. Thank god for that. Apparently that want causes a ton of stress.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I disowned my best friend when I was 16, there are reasons why you'd do so.
Well yeah that's true, there have been friends I've stopped being friends with before and could probably use to do that with at least one of my current friends (except he's a friend of all of my other friends which is how I've come to hang out with him at all, which complicates things), but I never really considered it "breaking up," I just kind of phased them out of my life.

I mean, at this point I'm pretty much hoping that going hundreds of miles away to college and likely moving to somewhere around there shortly thereafter will help weed out all of the "friends" that I've had it up to here with and get me some new friends that don't suck.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I've been doing nothing today but try to get this stupid software to work, and it still won't work. I wonder if anyone's ever killed themselves because their program wouldn't compile. I've been feeling the "five-minutes-to-hand-in-your-test" stress coupled with existential futility and hopelessness for every waking moment of the last two days. I don't know what to do.

Don't know anything about relationships. Never cared to try to start a serious one. Thank god for that. Apparently that want causes a ton of stress.
What kinda of software are you using? I spent the entire weekend trying to figure out TerraSync(GIS software) just to realize that there was a problem with the data, and not me using the program wrong.

Now I'm at work trying to streamline a very boring data update process and it's not working. It looks like I'm going to have to do it the long way :/

Well yeah that's true, there have been friends I've stopped being friends with before and could probably use to do that with at least one of my current friends (except he's a friend of all of my other friends which is how I've come to hang out with him at all, which complicates things), but I never really considered it "breaking up," I just kind of phased them out of my life.
I hate to sound condescending, but I think that is because you've never parted ways with a friend who is as close to you as she is to me. And also it's not that we're simply drifitng apart; we are ceasing contact with each other, where before we would talk to each other every night.

The relationship she and I have is a very unique one though.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I hate to sound condescending, but I think that is because you've never parted ways with a friend who is as close to you as she is to me. And also it's not that we're simply drifitng apart; we are ceasing contact with each other, where before we would talk to each other every night.

The relationship she and I have is a very unique one though.
Oh, after reading your explaining the situation further I actually feel like I understand why you're breaking up with her, I was just responding to Teran and wanted to explain where I was coming from in my first comment.

Sorry, should've clarified that, haha.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I have a conundrum.

I have the chance to move to London with this guy Alex next month and get away from this country.

Problem is, he likes me more than I like him, by a lot I might add.

I'd really really love to live in London for a while, but I feel that going with him would give him the wrong idea.

Even though I have clarified a good few times I'm not looking for a relationship with him.

What do I do?

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I have a conundrum.

I have the chance to move to London with this guy Alex next month and get away from this country.

Problem is, he likes me more than I like him, by a lot I might add.

I'd really really love to live in London for a while, but I feel that going with him would give him the wrong idea.

Even though I have clarified a good few times I'm not looking for a relationship with him.

What do I do?
Just because you've made it clear you're not looking for a relationship doesn't mean he gets it. Telling someone "I'm not looking for a relationship" then spending any amount of time with them sends mixed messages. If he likes you more than you like him it's best for his sake to break it off sooner than later. Going to London with him would just lead him on and hurt him a lot more when things don't work out. It's not fair to Alex.

On the other hand, if you happen to change your mind about the whole relationship thing then London might be a good idea. Or if Alex knows you'd be going without the intention of a relationship and he's fine with it, then go for it. But honestly if moving to another country with someone isn't a relationship, I don't know what is.

Long story short: man up and talk to Alex about how you feel about the nature of your not relationship. Make sure your expectations and feelings are crystal clear. If you do or don't want something, explain why. Just be honest and things will work out for the best eventually.

Pikaville

He knows full well my intentions.

I mean were really just **** buddies at the moment, I've told him I want to keep it that way.

But the temptation of going to another country for a few months is overwhelming.

Especially since I could play a bunch of smash over there, London has some pretty epic nightlife too.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Living with someone will give them a pretty strong impression I must say.

London is cool though.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
In that case, you should go and enjoy every minute in London. If Alex takes it the wrong way it's pretty much his fault if he gets hurt. Just don't share a bedroom, that might make things more complicated. You're just roommates with benefits.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
If the relationship is that bad, just break up with her. Doesn't seem worth it to me.
I'm guessing you haven't read the entire convo. Breaking up with her was always the plan.

It's funny how feelings work though. Now that I see she cares, and she asked me to stay I am no longer upset with her. I still have to break it off with her since nothing about the relationship has changed, but I no longer think of her as an opponent anymore. Where as I didn't care yesterday, now I don't want to hurt her feelings.

Oh well.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Summer assignment due in a couple of weeks. Read virtually nothing so far. Don't have any idea of what I'm going to do or how I'm going to do it. It's about mythology. We have a mythology class, but this assignment is for English.

If I wanted to do an assignment on mythology, I'd take mythology. :glare:

I also don't need to be lectured, I'm aware of how important mythology is. Or is often contended to be. Whatever.

Smash Master
Is it an essay?

My stupid software finally compiled my 7-line program. I'm not even relieved. I already failed compared to everyone else. Everything better be fast and perfect from here on out though.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I am upset!

So I tell my best friend who I mentioned before that I am breaking up with her. And she has to go and be nice again, instead of the detached ***** she has been lately. She ACTUALLY ASKED ME TO STAY WITH HER! I spoke with her on Friday and it seemed like she expected me, and even wanted me to break up with her. She told me that she was done trying to please me and then she goes and posts this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXA0pMsXllY&feature=share song on her wall. What the **** am I supposed to think?

****! Couldn't she have just been mean? and detached as usual and give me some peace of mind in what I am doing instead of making me second guess myself and the ending of our relationship. I wanted to just be done with her after today, but I agreed that we would say our goodbyes another time and that I wouldn't delete her from my friend's list.

Women need to stop acting so strong. If they want you in their life then they should always act like it, instead of acting like they know they'll be fine without you.
ahahahaahahaha. you think shes acting strong? this is childish high school ****. this is drama queen pot stirring. block her in every way and MOVE ON

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Exactly! There are 7 Billion people on the planet

If something doesn't work, you have...a very large number that starts with 6 and ends with 9...more people to try.

Edit: Obviously when I hit last post it went to the wrong page

Pikaville

I have a friend with the exact same problem too.

Him and his girlfriend always fight over really stupid stuff, like she randomly cries sometimes if she sees him talking to another girl.

He is so chill as well, she is like the only source of stress in his life right now.

But he loves her too much to let her go.

It's just sad to see so many of his nights ruined by having to deal with her crazyness.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion

Him and his girlfriend always fight over really stupid stuff, like she randomly cries sometimes if she sees him talking to another girl.

He is so chill as well, she is like the only source of stress in his life right now.

It's just sad to see so many of his nights ruined by having to deal with her crazyness.
There are other fish in the sea.

There are no confirmed buffs for Spiderman in Ultimate MvC3...

Palpi

Smash Hero

It's just sad to see so many of his nights
ruined by having to deal with her
crazyness.
I can relate to this, it's hard to see things objectively when your in a relationship...atleast it might take a while.

:phone:

Ghosts

Smash Rookie
My wife is having her final for her summer intersession class on Thursday, we finally get some time alone and time for bow-chicka-wow-wow.
However, we 'have' to babysit our niece for a week, and when her and our son get together it's like hell on wheels. fml.

inb4 nobody cares

Jasou

Smash Ace
My wife is having her final for her summer intersession class on Thursday, we finally get some time alone and time for bow-chicka-wow-wow.
However, we 'have' to babysit our niece for a week, and when her and our son get together it's like hell on wheels. fml.

inb4 nobody cares
hell on wheels meaning, they hate each others guts, or their uncontrolable? (i think i spelled that wrong)

Ghosts

Smash Rookie
hell on wheels meaning, they hate each others guts, or their uncontrolable? (i think i spelled that wrong)
As in what once were two quite children who played well on their own now somehow acquired new found energy to run around in a small two bedroom apartment, not eating and not listening. Toys and food everywhere :glare:

What's worse is that we live right next to the apartment pool but it's been thunderstorming constantly for the past 3 weeks (which is, unfortunately, not an over exaggeration). Since they can't burn energy by swimming, the apartment has somewhat a racing track for them now.

/sympathy please

Top Bottom